DOOM 3 Patch

The first patch for DOOM 3 is now out of beta testing, updating id's first-person shooter to version 1.1. The 17 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, ComputerGames.Ro, Doom3HQ.net, Fileaholic.Com, FileFront, Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GamesFusion, Gaming Horizon, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
Oct 2, 2004, 13:09
Re: No subject Oct 2, 2004, 13:09
Oct 2, 2004, 13:09

Yeah what he said.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Oct 1, 2004, 04:36
Re: No subject Oct 1, 2004, 04:36
Oct 1, 2004, 04:36

why even bother patching a game no one plays anymore. I have so moved on from this game

Completely agree, except that doesn't apply to Doom3 because a lot of people still play it and a lot of people are working on new maps, weapons & mods for it.
Check out here for stuff developement:
http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/index.php
and here:
http://www.planetdoom.com/

Of course if you install a game and find your attention span is not enough to complete the game then that's your lose and it's your money wasted. Personly I like to get my moneys worth and expand games with new maps and mods etc.

Sep 30, 2004, 14:26
Re: No subject Sep 30, 2004, 14:26
Sep 30, 2004, 14:26

Meh .... why even bother patching a game no one plays anymore. I have so moved on from this game - bring on Half Life 2!!!

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Sep 29, 2004, 17:15
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 17:15
Sep 29, 2004, 17:15

I like video games.

Them new ones is puurrrty.

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re:
Sep 29, 2004, 14:10
Re: Sep 29, 2004, 14:10
Sep 29, 2004, 14:10

id dropped support for Win98 etc which is about bloody time.
Doom 3 runs on Windows 98 with a minor modification, and by all accounts runs a little faster (in loading saved games) on it too. Doom 3 is not being held back by Windows 98 in the least. The decision by ID to artificially prevent the game from running on Windows 98 is moronic. Denying official support is one thing, but since Doom 3 doesn't actually utilitize any OS features which are not in Windows 98 (other than one RAM size query API which can be accomplished using an alternate function), there is no reason not to allow Doom 3 to run on Windows 98.

Sep 29, 2004, 14:03
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 14:03
Sep 29, 2004, 14:03

But you're expressing your dislike for people who persistently express their dislikes - persistently. It's like the relativists and how they argue truth is relative, unless of course you disagree with relativism. Ok that was an obscure comparison, but you get what I mean

It appears you have the wrong idea of what's happening here. I don't dislike the good Captain, even with his obvious hostility, nor do I dislike anyone that lives in a negative cycle for that reason alone. What I'm suggesting is that it is unhealthy for the individual to behave in that manner.

Sep 29, 2004, 11:59
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:59
Sep 29, 2004, 11:59

" is FarCry and it's enging doesn't have the first 4 engine features I listed. "

Wrong. It doesnt have the 3rd opr 4th features The other 2 (realtime lighting and shadows) it does have. Just not everywhere like in D3.

Sep 29, 2004, 11:56
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:56
Sep 29, 2004, 11:56

I like video games.

Sep 29, 2004, 11:38
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:38
Sep 29, 2004, 11:38

gameplay is non-existant

You're joking, right? It's a FREAKING FPS GAME. You run through levels and shoot things. What were you looking for? id told you exactly what you were making - if you bought it expecting something else, whose fault is that?!?

engine is more of a tech-demo than anything else

An engine is an engine, not a tech demo. You can call the GAME a tech demo, if you like, but not the engine. I disagree, BTW, I enjoyed it (maybe 8/10 rating) - lots of fun, a bit repetitive, gorgeous to look at, definitely worth the $$$ in my opinion. Then again, unlike you, I knew what I was buying and didn't expect something it wasn't.

This game also puts the nail in the coffin for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES MADE BY ID!!! They are still in the Kommander Keen days of gameplay. HAS CARMACK even played of the modern [1999 and above] games to see how far the single-player experience has progressed.

Like what? Half-Life? Far Cry? NOLF? What are you referring to? If you're trying to make a point, make it, don't just spew out cute catch-phrases to make yourself feel important 'cause you think you're contributing.

* Warhawk *

"Uh...Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal."
"What happened?"
"Had a slight weapons malfunction but, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're all fine here, how are you?"

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Re:
Sep 29, 2004, 11:13
Re: Sep 29, 2004, 11:13
Sep 29, 2004, 11:13

I guess I should have qualified that by saying that I had about as much fun with Doom3 as with 3dMark2003

If you don't like walking around shooting demons than why buy Doom3? I never liked 3dMark2003, I could never get the hang of the keys and plot was seriously screwed

Sep 29, 2004, 11:09
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 11:09
Sep 29, 2004, 11:09

Bashing is warranted in this case given the fact that gameplay is non-existant and the engine is more of a tech-demo than anything else.

This game also puts the nail in the coffin for SINGLE PLAYER GAMES MADE BY ID!!! They are still in the Kommander Keen days of gameplay. HAS CARMACK even played of the modern [1999 and above] games to see how far the single-player experience has progressed.

I don't remember the original Doom being bashed for 'no gameplay' and as this is a remake that has added features and story ( namely pda's scripted events, npc's ).

I wish people would stop blaming Carmack for gameplay issues. Carmack writes the 'Engine' other programmers and artists add the gameplay and assets to the product.

Maybe we need a list of gameplay & engine features that a top FPS game should have now?

Gameplay:
[x] Guns.
[x] Something to shot at.
[x] A plot with some story events.
[x] Reasonable AI.
[x] Some simple puzzles along the way ( no jumping ones!! )
[x] Indoor and outdoor levels (I know D3 as very little outdoor areas)
[ ] Vehicles - some driving/flying around to save walking.
( technically vehicles somefar have been 3rd person )
[ ] Maps with more than one way to reach target/objective.
[ ] Multiple non-order depend objectives per map.
[ ] Viable stealth alternative to some objectives
( is that still a FPS if you don't need to shoot? )

Engine features:
[x] Realtime lighting
[x] Realtime shadows
[x] Realtime video playback in game world
[x] Interactive gui's / computer teriminals in game world
[x] Shader support
[x] Surround sound
[x] A Physics engine with ragdolls
[x] Vehicle support
[x] Support for scripted events
[ ] Support for large open area ( not seen in D3 yet but maybe possible )

Only game that comes close to all of those features is FarCry and it's enging doesn't have the first 4 engine features I listed. Infact I don't remember it having any puzzles either - just run a gun most of the time.

COME ON people - Think of more gameplay features a good FPS shooter should have, you MUST know them or you wouldn't be complaining so loudly that they are missing.

Quake IV looks prmosing from the early screenshots.

I'm still waiting to see something in HL2 that hasn't already been done or seen. ( Gravity gun has been done before. In fact there's a mod in beta for a gravity gun in Doom3 ).

id remained true to their design spec - remake Doom - now if that's not what you want then don't buy it.

Re:
Sep 29, 2004, 10:16
Re: Sep 29, 2004, 10:16
Sep 29, 2004, 10:16

I'd say Doom3 was a lot more than a tech demo. Quake3 was much closer to a tech demo.

Fair enough. I guess I should have qualified that by saying that I had about as much fun with Doom3 as with 3dMark2003. I actually had more fun playing Quake3 single player, and have had no mp joy with Doom3 yet (still waiting and hoping on that one though)

I also agree that HL2 is not the technical extravaganza that some people might think. I simply hope that people are not going to get away with running it on their old systems like they did with counterstrike, as I believe that game, no matter how popular, has actually damaged the industry, basically because it's free (bar the hl cd key issue) and it runs on low end systems.

It looks like your understanding of video technology and gaming integration is more sophisticated than mine, but I think we agree fundamentaly. I'm hoping things will be moving on soon...as I remember Carmack saying that realtime 3d photorealistic graphics are less than a decade a way...at current product cycles...that's only 2.5 game engines.

Sep 29, 2004, 10:15
nin
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 10:15
Sep 29, 2004, 10:15
nin

Awwwwww...are we a little bitter?

http://www.johnwaitethehardway.com/index2.htm

Sep 29, 2004, 09:53
cia
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 09:53
cia

Bashing is warranted in this case given the fact that gameplay is non-existant and the engine is more of a tech-demo than anything else.

If you look at Doom3, the answer is APPARENTLY NOT!!!

It's also funny to see the game media fawn over this shriveled turd of a game!

cia
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 09:53
cia

If you look at Doom3, the answer is APPARENTLY NOT!!!

Sep 29, 2004, 08:51
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 08:51
Sep 29, 2004, 08:51

Space Captain...I think I was the first poster who responded to your original message in this thread. Specifically to the part of your message that read

this game was forgotten in less than 3 weeks

I still think its odd that you can even logically make that statement. Ok...perhaps I'm reading it too literally. I see now that you meant that the 'popularity' of the game waned in 3 weeks. Ok...can't necessarily disagree with you there. However, one has to wonder if your motivation is to improve the game, or simply bash it. Negative criticism in hopes to improve the game is welcome, but how is continual bashing for what seems to be just for the sake of bashing, helpful? Someone else posted that they had never read Space Captains comments before...ok, fair enough. But the whole purpose of this thread was to discuss a bug patch for Doom3. Space Captain obviously isn't playing the game anymore, and probably won't no matter how many bug patches come out. So why show up in a patch thread and bash the game based on 2 month old information? Doesn't seem very helpful. Again, I don't question his right to say what he wants. I only question the value of seemingly hatred (of the game) driven comments.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

Sep 29, 2004, 08:23
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 08:23
Sep 29, 2004, 08:23

my opinion that the atmosphere of Doom 3 was built on a gimmick and quickly faded from popularity

Funny I thought that Doom3's atmosphere was built a stunning new game engine with realtime lighting and shadows. I'm sure John Carmack will love to hear the result of a couple of year reseach and hard work discribed as a 'gimmick'

I await with interest to see 'space captain' produce something new and inventive and not just a gimmick.

Your sig is original ( I think ) but then it doesn't seem to make any actual sense. I suspect I don't read the right comics. I did do a quick google seach for JHVH-1, I think the first result was the most apt: http://sensibleerection.com/profile.php/6833

Sep 29, 2004, 08:00
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 08:00
Sep 29, 2004, 08:00

Another Doom 3 venting thread.
Oh well, cheaper than running to your psychologist I guess.

________
I'm not... gonna... cry... you... dumb... doo-doo brain!
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Sep 29, 2004, 07:57
Re: No subject Sep 29, 2004, 07:57
Sep 29, 2004, 07:57

"If you don't like the game or the movie or whatever else it happens to be at that point in time, by all means say your piece, but know when to move on."

But you're expressing your dislike for people who persistently express their dislikes - persistently. It's like the relativists and how they argue truth is relative, unless of course you disagree with relativism. Ok that was an obscure comparison, but you get what I mean

No subject
Sep 29, 2004, 07:17
No subject Sep 29, 2004, 07:17
Sep 29, 2004, 07:17

the problem is that you are not apprehending reality for what it is... voicing my opinion that the atmosphere of Doom 3 was built on a gimmick and quickly faded from popularity is not "dwelling on negativity"

there is no point arguing with your self-contained fantasy world - you build your thesis and then bend what you can to support it... its not a new technique, its actually all too normal - but it does not allow for anything other than your own masturbatory semantics

"When the bomb drops it'll be a bank holiday
Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS
82 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older