DOOM 3 Sales

This press release (thanks Frans) announces that DOOM 3 is selling like hotcakes: "The game debuted as the #1 best-selling PC game in the U.S. for the week ending August 7, according to NPD Techworld. Additionally, DOOM 3 was the #1 best-selling game overall in the U.K. for the weeks ending August 14 and August 21, according to the U.K. Chart Track and the #1 best-selling PC game in Australia, for the weeks ending August 8 and 15, according to GfK Inform Database. For the week ending August 15, DOOM 3 also was the #1 best-selling PC game in France, according to GfK; the #1 game in Germany, according to Media Control; and the #1 game in Sweden, Denmark and Norway, according to Manual Sweden, Manual Denmark and Manual Norway."
View : : :
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: *yawn*
Aug 24, 2004, 18:22
Re: *yawn* Aug 24, 2004, 18:22
Aug 24, 2004, 18:22

That game was the best seller for a lonnnng time, and yet it is by far the worst game-concept I've ever seen. Why so many people love it, I have no idea.

And this is coming from a guy that has a very broad range of tastes when it comes to gaming. I love all types: action, adventure, rpg, puzzle, stealth, sim, strategy; the list goes on and on.

But the Sims? Please

Funny how democracy is always ignored when the popular vote goes against your own wishes, hmmm? (Halsy is a terrific champion of this, democracy up the ass, until it does something he doesn't like) If 80 quadrillion people liked the Sims, and you didn't, maybe it's your TASTE that's faulty, and not the game?

I always fail to understand the argument "I didn't like it, therefore the game MUST suck" that some of you people put up. It doesn't mean anything else besides that you didn't like it.

I thought counterstrike sucked fucking ass, and yet it's still being played by tens of thousands of people? Is it a bad game because I didn't like it? Nope, just not my style of game.

Notice the difference?

Btw, Ray, are you playing X2, do I perceive that correctly? If you need any help with it, drop me a line, I'm pretty guru'ific in that game. Creston@cox.net

Creston

Sophistry is hip!
Aug 24, 2004, 18:20
Sophistry is hip! Aug 24, 2004, 18:20
Aug 24, 2004, 18:20

Especially when you're trying to defend something as painfully awful as Doom 3. Rock on with your bad selves!

No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 18:13
No subject Aug 24, 2004, 18:13
Aug 24, 2004, 18:13

It was designed as a single player game. And yet, it has a crap storyline.

write me a better storyline

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Re: selling like hotcakes?
Aug 24, 2004, 18:07
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 18:07
Aug 24, 2004, 18:07

No, "most" of us play console games like Madden 2005, as shown by any decent gaming market pie chart. Rich, captivating stories are a minority in games. So, cut the "most of us have moved beyond" crap and just say you personally prefer games with a story.

No, most of us (on the bluesnews board) play PC games. This is a site about PC gaming. Captivating storylines are a minority in console games for sure, but you're talking about an audience that eats up pokemon crystal to the tunes of hundreds of thousands. Bad example. And a captivating story is a must for any great modern FPS game. That anyone could argue that a great single player FPS released in 2004 and beyond could have a mediocre or worse story is ridiculous. And I say 'great' because Doom3 got scores in the 90%+ range. 90% and above = great. Doom3 = not great.

How about every "sports" game made (football, soccer, baseball, hunting, etc)? Where is the "story" there?

I had a feeling you might punch back with that. We're talking about FPS games here. Of course sports games don't have stories. And of course multiplayer only FPS games have little or no story. My problem is this: Doom3 has virtually no multiplayer. It was designed as a single player game. And yet, it has a crap storyline. So, why is it so great? ...it's not. What new does it bring to the table? ...it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

And no matter how good or bad HL2 is, it takes nothing away from the fact that Doom3 is a beautiful engine wrapped around a tired shooter. So, stop pulling out the you don't like Doom3 because you're a Valve fanboy. I don't like Doom3 because it's an overhyped borefest and I'm tired of hearing about how great it is without any reason for why it's so great.

Speaking of System Shock 2...
Aug 24, 2004, 18:01
Duc
Speaking of System Shock 2... Aug 24, 2004, 18:01
Aug 24, 2004, 18:01
Duc

Please god someone craft a single player system shock total conversion, please I beg you modders...

Aug 24, 2004, 17:57
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 17:57
Aug 24, 2004, 17:57

What drives you to complete an FPS other than to find out what happens at the end?

To have fun playing the game, and to see lots of cool stuff like monsters, level designs, art, etc. I don't play a game or read a book just to know the ending, I play or read it because I like the journey or experience itself.

dust off a real old-school game and play it

I think all of Id's games qualify as "old school" action games, including Doom 3. Most would agree.

If a company other than Id released this game, and it had lesser graphics, it would only sell 10,000 copies.

You don't know that for a fact, and you have no evidence or proof at all to back that up.

I didn't realize that Id set out to make a game with no story, tedious gameplay, no replay value, and totally devoid of innovation.

Doom 3 does have a story, and it is just as valid as the "story" to many other FPS games.

I don't think Doom 3 has "tedious" gameplay at all. It is all quite simple, like the weapons and everything in general. I played through it in about a week, and I had a blast. And then I started over on a harder difficulty, and I am enjoying it MORE. Becuase it is a lot scarier on harder difficulties, and there are multiple paths through at least on level. And I have been noticing things the second time through that I did not catch the first time.

As far as innovation is concerned, every technical aspect of this game is innovative, graphics, sound, and interface. And I think the artwork and art direction in general is a step above what I've seen in other games.

And again you state how wonderful HL2 will be, and how the modders will head that way, as if you are the all knowing all seeing grand overlord of the gaming world. And you haven't even played a DEMO yet. It doesn't come out for probably two months so why don't you save the non-stop HL2 praising until you are actually playing it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Its also
Aug 24, 2004, 17:36
Its also Aug 24, 2004, 17:36
Aug 24, 2004, 17:36

The #1 game that has made me realize I should wait for a demo or, if one is not available, a few weeks for people to see if they like the game. Luckily, I got to play a friends and saved myself the money. Its easy to go from hero to zero in games with one mistake, they better hope the name Doom does now get tagged with a Daikatana image. All the wait for nothing. Apparently they are now more about the engine then the gameplay, so looking forward to games created with the engine by someone else.

Waiting for Half-Life 2 and maybe someday.... Duke Nukem

Re: No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 17:35
Re: No subject Aug 24, 2004, 17:35

Bashing aside, I am curious to see what Raven does with this
What he said.

I'd give DIII 7/10. All the points (good and bad) have been made, so I won't bother repeating them. For me, the good outweighed the bad. If it worked with my hardware properly, I'd probably bump it up to 8. But it's no Half-Life. And hopefully, no Half-Life 2.

nin
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 17:35
nin

And Id DID make a story for D3, it's just the HL2 fanbois like to trash D3 before they even know what the hell their game is about. Here's an easy prediction, HL2 won't live up to the hype either.

Compared to id's previous games, the story is D3 is quite impressive. Compared to other games, sure, it's not mind blowing. But I really think id TRIED, and that's the first step. I believe they've said their next game is also focused on SP, and I look forward to it...

And I agree, I don't think HL2 will live up to the hype police, either...

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

Aug 24, 2004, 17:32
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 17:32
Aug 24, 2004, 17:32

You're implying so many stupid things: books are not fun; good stories are not fun; games with good stories are not fun; games without stories are always fun. Wtf? What drives you to complete an FPS other than to find out what happens at the end?

You're taking the statement to an absurd degree. Of course books can be fun and video games have stories. It's all a matter of degree.

Did UT and UT2k4 and Q3A have a "story"? Technically, yes. Realistically, no. What they did have are lots of action, good graphics, and a goal of some sort. They also were all very popular and successful (and fun) games. How about every "sports" game made (football, soccer, baseball, hunting, etc)? Where is the "story" there?

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Aug 24, 2004, 17:25
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 17:25
Aug 24, 2004, 17:25

No, "most" of us play console games like Madden 2005, as shown by any decent gaming market pie chart. Rich, captivating stories are a minority in games. So, cut the "most of us have moved beyond" crap and just say you personally prefer games with a story.

And Id DID make a story for D3, it's just the HL2 fanbois like to trash D3 before they even know what the hell their game is about. Here's an easy prediction, HL2 won't live up to the hype either.

Aug 24, 2004, 17:15
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 17:15
Aug 24, 2004, 17:15

if I want a story, I'll go read a damn book. If I want to have fun, I'll play a game

I am so sick of hearing this argument...not that it really is one. You're implying so many stupid things: books are not fun; good stories are not fun; games with good stories are not fun; games without stories are always fun. Wtf? What drives you to complete an FPS other than to find out what happens at the end? Bigger guns...bigger enemies? Welcome to the 21st century pals. Games have moved from a shunned hobby to a full-on form of art. Video games have trailers now for fucks sake. And you want a game with oldschool gameplay (i.e. click mouse until demon dead, rinse, repeat hundreds of times)? If you want an old-school game dust off a real old-school game and play it. Most of us have moved beyond 1995 and expect something more from a game. If a company other than Id released this game, and it had lesser graphics, it would only sell 10,000 copies.

The other one the Id fanboys always throw out is "Id did exactly what they set out to do". I didn't realize that Id set out to make a game with no story, tedious gameplay, no replay value, and totally devoid of innovation. If that's what they set out to do, they nailed it. I don't even see mods as a valid reason to hang on to Doom3. After HL2 comes out, I think we all know where the modders will be heading.

No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 17:01
No subject Aug 24, 2004, 17:01
Aug 24, 2004, 17:01

doom 3 rocks your balls off...screw you doom-haters

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Aug 24, 2004, 16:53
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 16:53

Yeah, because everyone knows books have the worst stories.

Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 16:53

if I want a story, I'll go read a damn book. If I want to have fun, I'll play a game]

Possibly THE strangest piece of logic I've ever heard...

No, the "story" in an FPS (to me) just serves to tie the action together in a somewhat coherent fashion. A real story, requiring thought and imagination, comes from a book for me. I tend to play games (and read books) in 0.5-2 hour stretches whenever possible (late evenings, during my 18-month-old son's bathtime and naps, etc). I want to be able to jump into a game and get some action (UT and UT2k4 for deathmatch, other games for SP action). I do not want to have to concentrate too much on following twists and turns in a video game - I want to shoot imps with shotties and boss monsters with rocket launchers. I want to blow things up! (BTW - I like the Soul Cube - toss it at a Revenant and let it do it's thing while you take out the other guys - works well). I want awesome graphics, fun gameplay, interesting maps to go through, and a (simple) movie-like plot. Doom 3, for the most part, has delivered on what I wanted and expected out of it.

If I want an in-depth story, I'll read something that makes you picture the action in your head - that's a good story to me.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Aug 24, 2004, 16:36
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 16:36
Aug 24, 2004, 16:36

if I want a story, I'll go read a damn book. If I want to have fun, I'll play a game]

Possibly THE strangest piece of logic I've ever heard...

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 16:36.

Aug 24, 2004, 16:23
Re: No subject Aug 24, 2004, 16:23
Aug 24, 2004, 16:23

JOYN CRAMCACKS: LETS MAKE GAME!
ADRIANS CARMACK: OK ME MAKE DEMENS
JOYN CAMRKACK: OK ME GO CODE
(1 year later)
JOIN CARMACKS: YOU DONE YET?
ADRAIN CRAMACK: NEED PLACE MORE IMPS BRB
JOHN CAMRACKS: ??
(6 months later)
TODDS HALLENHEAD: YOU DONE JOHN? NEED SHIP GAME
JOHN CARMACKS: MES DONE
TADDS HELLOHEAD: YOU DONES ADRIAN?
ADRIAN CARMACK: ME PLACED ALL IMPS
TODDS HOLLENHEAD: HOW MANY?
ADRIAN CARMECKS: 798
TODDS HOLLENDHEADS: 798? THAT A LOT. WHY NOT 800?
ADRIAN CERMACKS: OK BRB
TODDS HOLLENSHEAD: WE LATE NOW, MISS QUARTER
JAHNS CARMACK: THE IMPS CROUCH
(3 months later)
ADRIANS CARMACK: OK ME PLACE 800 IMPS READY TO SHIPS!
TODSS HOLLENHEADS: WHAT ABOUT OTHER MONSTERS THEY GOOD TOO?
ADRIANS CAMARCKS: OTHER MONSTERS???
JOHN ACMARACK: THE IMPS NOW THROW FIRESQUARES!
ADRIAN CARMACKS: I LIKE BALLS BETTER
JOHN CARMACKS: WHY YOU GET TO PICK?
TODDSS HOLLENHEADS: MAKE THEMS BALLS JOHN!!!
JOHN CARMACKS: OKS
(8 months later)
JOHN CREMACKS: OK BALLS IMPLEMENTEDS WITH 90% ROTATIOANL POLYGONALS FLUX MAGENESIUM BUMP MAPS
ADRIAN CARMACKS: 1400 IMPS NOW
JOHN CARMAKCS: I THOUGHTS WE ONLY HAD 800?
ADRIANN CARMACKS: WE HAD TO MMAKE THE END LEVEL I FORGOTS
JOHN CARMACKS: OK
TODDS HOLLENHEADS: OK LETS SHIP!

No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 16:13
No subject Aug 24, 2004, 16:13
Aug 24, 2004, 16:13

"The PDA's were a nice touch."

I agree the PDA and the movies were the best thing about D3 to me.
Thou the fact that they didnt even allow the scroll wheel to funtion in such a nice PDA was dumb.

Also I constatly LMAO at the pathitic voice acting in the voice logs, did anyone else notice that it was one guy doing all the voice logs, vioces even the one female, ROLF.

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Aug 24, 2004, 15:51
Re: selling like hotcakes? Aug 24, 2004, 15:51
Aug 24, 2004, 15:51

if I want a story, I'll go read a damn book. If I want to have fun, I'll play a game

I'm the same way. Luckily, my wife is an avid reader as well. Finishing up Robinson Crusoe now (B&N Classics) - never read it as a kid.

Also just picked up Art of War as a B&N Classic - read it years ago but wanted to read it again. Am enjoying the newest Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child collaborations as well.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 15:52.

Aug 24, 2004, 15:40
Re: No subject Aug 24, 2004, 15:40
Aug 24, 2004, 15:40

haha Ronin, yeah, wtf are they saying??? I could swear they are saying "Hemi"....this isn't that damned dodge commercial is it? The one were the dad tells his baby son he only needs to know one thing, and says "Hemi"...

I mean, I could be wrong, but I got 400watts of juice coming through those speakers..sounds like Hemi to me lol.
I hate those too, almost more than zombie marines, who are dumb yet smart, and manuever to well for half deads.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older