DOOM 3 Sales

This press release (thanks Frans) announces that DOOM 3 is selling like hotcakes: "The game debuted as the #1 best-selling PC game in the U.S. for the week ending August 7, according to NPD Techworld. Additionally, DOOM 3 was the #1 best-selling game overall in the U.K. for the weeks ending August 14 and August 21, according to the U.K. Chart Track and the #1 best-selling PC game in Australia, for the weeks ending August 8 and 15, according to GfK Inform Database. For the week ending August 15, DOOM 3 also was the #1 best-selling PC game in France, according to GfK; the #1 game in Germany, according to Media Control; and the #1 game in Sweden, Denmark and Norway, according to Manual Sweden, Manual Denmark and Manual Norway."
View : : :
130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

old times ;)
Aug 25, 2004, 04:50
old times ;) Aug 25, 2004, 04:50
Aug 25, 2004, 04:50

this is really reminding me of the good old times with debates over quake I and duke3d in some of the old newsgroups :-)

i really like doom3 even though there could be things improved, i probably will really like HL2 when it is released for different reasons ( the movies released yesterday didn't impress me very much though ) and duke nukem 4ever.

there are enough games for everyones taste, and all will sell good enough to keep id,valve & 3drealms in this business

have a nice and productive day

Re: System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom
Aug 25, 2004, 03:37
Re: System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom Aug 25, 2004, 03:37
Aug 25, 2004, 03:37

So buy the game, install it, play it, and enjoy. Steam never has to be part of the process if you don't want it. Im guessing that some industrious computer nerds will find a way to get people patches without having to use Steam too. And your point about the steam subscription doesn't make sense. You don't buy the game AND a subscription to Steam...it's one or the other. And although it uses a BT system for the updates, you aren't constantly uploading to people while steam is on. You're only uploading while downloading. I didn't realize helping the rest of the gaming community out was such a bad thing.

I just installed Steam for the first time earlier today and haven't had any problems (though there may be some in the future). It's pretty cool that I can play Opposing Forces even though I only registered my copy of Half-Life...which I bought way back in 1998.

Aug 25, 2004, 03:27
Re: System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom Aug 25, 2004, 03:27
Aug 25, 2004, 03:27

"Additionally, you do not need to authenticate if you're not going online."

Until you need a patch.
In which case you will have to go ONLINE to get the patch.. unless you're going to copy it over from another computer, in which case you can burn the GFC file to a CD or transfer it over a LAN like you would a patch.

"Do you actually have a complaint about VAC, or are you trying to make your list of complaints look bigger than it is? Personally, I think all games should come with built in cheat detection."

Punkbuster = AntiCheat plugin
And your point is? VAC is built in, ergo everyone will have it by default. No need to download punkbuster or any other anti-cheat program.

"2. Sharing bandwidth? What the hell are you talking about? Steam is one way.. Download only, no uploading at all"

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1c88c0d1f0a65cf3ba25d6bfa61f7386&threadid=128032&highlight=torrent
(Mods haven't disapeared the threat so either it's accurate or their slacking)
That's not Steam, that's the Steam website. The Steam program itself does not require (Or even support at this juncture) the ability to upload. Additionally, it is not required to use Bit.torrent to get the client in the first place. You can just download the 700k client and get everything from straight from Steam, one-way.. or just install Steam from Half-Life 2.

""As for HL2 sales, I won't make predictions, but for me; HL2 + Steam = NO SALE. Steam + Subscription = Fool + Money."

Sad that I know more then the average fanboy. Read up on the 3 skus available for HL2.
Uhh, you DO realize that the steam subscription is OPTION-FRICKEN-AL? Right? Plus we haven't heard hide nor hair of it in over a year. But again, my main point is that it's OPTIONAL.. NOT MANDATORY. You can still buy HL2 in a box or through steam for a ONE TIME fee. NO SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED. There is NO mandatory subscription fee, PERIOD.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 03:32.

Aug 25, 2004, 03:16
Re: System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom Aug 25, 2004, 03:16
Aug 25, 2004, 03:16

"Additionally, you do not need to authenticate if you're not going online."

Until you need a patch.

"Do you actually have a complaint about VAC, or are you trying to make your list of complaints look bigger than it is? Personally, I think all games should come with built in cheat detection."

Punkbuster = AntiCheat plugin

"2. Sharing bandwidth? What the hell are you talking about? Steam is one way.. Download only, no uploading at all"

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=1c88c0d1f0a65cf3ba25d6bfa61f7386&threadid=128032&highlight=torrent
(Mods haven't disapeared the threat so either it's accurate or their slacking)

""As for HL2 sales, I won't make predictions, but for me; HL2 + Steam = NO SALE. Steam + Subscription = Fool + Money."

Sad that I know more then the average fanboy. Read up on the 3 skus available for HL2.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&as_qdr=all&q=%22Half+Life+2%22+skus&btnG=Search

Aug 25, 2004, 02:59
Re: System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom Aug 25, 2004, 02:59
Aug 25, 2004, 02:59

Noticed a few inaccuracies...

What does one get out of Steam. (Benefits < Baggage)
- Logins: Users should be forced authenticate, to play a game they already purchased.
Doesn't the the Quake Master Server do this already for Quake III?; Additionally, you do not need to authenticate if you're not going online (And if you're going online, authetication is a non-issue)
- No cheating: Punkbuster too pedestrian?
Do you actually have a complaint about VAC, or are you trying to make your list of complaints look bigger than it is? Personally, I think all games should come with built in cheat detection.
- Updates: I can download them myself without being forced to share my bandwidth.
1. Good for you; however, I rather like not having to worry about waiting in line for 12 hours and having the whole of the gaming internet come crashing down like what used to happen whenever a new Counter-Strike and Half-Life patch was released.

Plus I'd think you'd get rather annoyed at having to download a 1mb patch every week. With this system they can fix issues at a constant rate instead of having to wait for a large pileup of fixed issues before they can put out a patch.

2. Sharing bandwidth? What the hell are you talking about? Steam is one way.. Download only, no uploading at all.

As for HL2 sales, I won't make predictions, but for me; HL2 + Steam = NO SALE. Steam + Subscription = Fool + Money.
Again with the subscription nonsense. Steam is NOT a mandatory subscription service (And so far it looks like optional subscription concept has gone to the backburner, if not been abandoned completely) If it ever did become a mandatory subscription service (And there's zero evidence that the whole of Steam will ever become that) I'd be right next to you complaining, however it hasn't gone anywhere near being that, so there's no reason to complain about a nonexistant issue.

Sorry for the off-topicness. I would mention what I liked and didn't like about Doom III, but it's been covered a dozen times. I would like to note that Doom III's story was a bit simpler than Half-Life's on the sole point of there was more than two sides at conflict in Half-Life. (Doom III never had a plotpoint akin to the military cleanup of aliens and BMRF personelle. It was just "good guys vs. bad guys")

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 03:07.

System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom3)
Aug 25, 2004, 02:39
System Shock vs Doom (insult to doom3) Aug 25, 2004, 02:39
Aug 25, 2004, 02:39

<rant style="type:foaming; Title="You May need a Towel">
RE: "NEVER COMPARE DOOM3 to SYSTEM SHOCK 2!!!!"

Are you kidding me, that game was an insult to the original System Shock. Bet you think Deus Ex 2 was a great too.

- Ever spawning MOBs (see them dropping out of the ceiling, aka lame ass developer trick in lieu of content)
- Unfortunately ammo and other useful stuff wasn't so spawnful.
- Recovered weapons always were jammed with one friggin round in them.
- There's more but System Shock 2 is not worthy that much thought

Doom3 come on you really need to dial down your expectations ID has been about the engine when they realize the value of engine licensing, since then they haven't been heavy on content. Even with that in mind, I was more then surprised to see content in a FPS. while Far Cry was also a breath of fresh air it sadly was tainted by the lack of quicksave, which in practical terms was not big deal (I can use the console) but in principal it was an arrogant insult to those of us that have lives, couched it the pedantic excuse of immersion/developer(ie wanna be author) vision.

And regarding Hype, ID is no comparison to the hype whores that dwell at Valve.

As for HL2 sales, I won't make predictions, but for me; HL2 + Steam = NO SALE. Steam + Subscription = Fool + Money.

And to those the will inevitable flap Steam is better now or that my perception of steam is completely off base.

What does one get out of Steam. (Benefits < Baggage)
- Logins: Users should be forced authenticate, to play a game they already purchased.
- No cheating: Punkbuster too pedestrian?
- Updates: I can download them myself without being forced to share my bandwidth.
- Content: Closed environment, yes sharing occurs and helps to weed out bugs but it's still closed.
- Less then acceptable support. (6-8 weeks if your lucky)
- Having to invite Steam to LAN parties is lame, and it doesn't bring snacks(rude).
- Screw simplicity, everyone love having more unnecessary points of failure.
- I assume Steam sheeple agree with the MS's insistence that IE has to be integrated. (Double+ Good)
- I love the open minded forms, do they have Strong Bad as a moderator (DELETED!). And anti-steam bait threads are pretty sad too.
- I could go on but my verbal diarrhea is starting to sting me :p
</rant>

EDIT: spelling/rant note
This comment was edited on Aug 25, 02:43.

Re: HL2 fanboys
Aug 25, 2004, 02:22
Duc
Re: HL2 fanboys Aug 25, 2004, 02:22
Aug 25, 2004, 02:22
Duc

Hell, creston is right on the mark here...
They stated about 10x10^10 times in the first opening minutes that their power grid was being massivly over loaded to support the delta labs projects - so there you go an ingame justification for why it was so dark, of course that was in those little log PDA things that no one read because doom 3 had no story.

Re: Lets recap for a moment
Aug 25, 2004, 02:13
Re: Lets recap for a moment Aug 25, 2004, 02:13
Aug 25, 2004, 02:13

Doom 3 was remake that was revised from the original.

The doom 3 is a remake is a bullshit after the fact shit they came up with so they could have a excuse to rehash everything.

Since when are mind blowing playable CG like graphics nothing new?

Are you retarded? Did the miss the besides the graphics part? Every fucking id game has "mind blowing CG graphics" as you so stupidly put it. And let's not get carried away here, only a blind person would mistake doom 3 graphics for a CG movie, doesn't look that good.

HL2 will in no way be like HL1. Face it.

Why are you bringing up half life 2? Calm down rabid fanboy there are people that think doom 3 sucks dick that doesn't think half life 2 will be the best ever.

Re: *yawn*
Aug 25, 2004, 02:05
Re: *yawn* Aug 25, 2004, 02:05
Aug 25, 2004, 02:05

1. D'oh, I am at 1.3.

2. D'oh, I am already past that.

3. D'oh, I already returned to base.

4. D'oh, I already returned the ship.

5. D'oh, this is what I was afraid of. I can do some trading, but that is not what I want to spend forty hours doing. I wish making money, even "small" sums was a bit easier. When I found out I was the "son" of Terracorp and that the corporation would do anything to help me, I was absolutely thinking "Well, give me some damn ships for starters."

6. Mmmm...I feel like blowing up everybody already and that's just because I am annoyed with the quirks, pacing, weak combat, and forced story.

Now that I have actually started playing the game running the program, I will have to check out the expansion. If it makes some sweeping changes to the gameplay, I will be highly interested. However, I am guessing that is quite unlikely.

Just wait; I know some Kilrathi got away, have been rebuilding a new fleet, and are soon to wipe the human plague from the universe! LONG LIVE HOBBES!

Thinking I may have to resort to playing aging Freespace forever and ever :(,
Ray

-----
I just started playing X2. I have no idea what I am doing. Can the game please go slower?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

ha
Aug 25, 2004, 01:41
ha Aug 25, 2004, 01:41
Aug 25, 2004, 01:41

Dumb AI? Are we playing the same game? Zombies crouching behind a box, jumping up or out just to fire...Imps, side jumping to dodge your bullets.

Yes, Doom/Doom 3 has almost exactly the same storyline as Half Life About the only thing that alters the gameplay was level loads, which I admit sucked...felt like it was the old days of "exits." Half Life had exactly the same "go here, turn this on, flip this switch, so you can open this door/kill this monster." Doom 3 did this, but with PDAs.

And for those of you that claim it wasn't scary...either you seriously need to get your brain checked, or you're not playing it right. And by playing it right, I mean at night, no external light, 5.1 surround sound, and the volume cranked. I was tempered by Undying for crying out load, and it still managed to freak me out in a few spots.

I'm tired, and I know I missed some points I wanted to counter, so if anyone wants to bring it up, I'll counter it.

DOOM 3 is/has:
A remake of THE classic FPS.
A horror/thriller game that suceeded (by popular opinion) in that respect.
The best system bending graphics ever.
A simple shooter.

DOOM 3 isn't/doesn't have:
-A super compelling storyline (NO SHIT...it's a remake dumbasses)
-Spectacular physics (they did the physics engine in-house...to do one as good as Havoc would have probably taken another year)
-Superb replay value (which may change with mods)

I seriously think that a lot of negativity towards the game is due to people not playing it in the right environment.

System Shock 2 came out in what, 98? That would make everyone a good 6 years younger. Average gamer age, 22, that's 16...a little bit easier to scare than a 20-something. I know a guy that actually stopped playing DOOM 3, couldn't play any more, and sold it...not because he hated the game, but because mentally (and spiritually) he couldn't handle it....

I'll be buying Half Life 2 in a few months. And I'll enjoy it. Dabble in the multiplayer. And then return to Desert Combat/Battlefield Vietnam/Battlefield 2 for my continued enjoyment. And probably somewhere around Christmas, I'll start playing through DOOM 3 again.

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
Decade of Death (A tribute to FPSs)
http://files.filefront.com/3197804;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
http://files.filefront.com/3325050;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

Re: *yawn*
Aug 25, 2004, 01:01
Re: *yawn* Aug 25, 2004, 01:01
Aug 25, 2004, 01:01

"My biggest concern is that it is actually about 10% story, 10% combat, and 80% trading. In that case, I am more prone to just uninstall it. I can put up with some FedEx trudging, but I do not want to spend my whole life doing that...

Wanting a game where you are Kilrathi and (finally) get to destroy all humans"

Ray, unfortunately its all trading, and what story missions there are suck. It's pretty though. Here's how I got whatever fun I had.

1. Don't install any patches - keep it at 1.0
2. Play until the mission where they give you the transport shuttle to pick up the chick and the scientist.
3. After the jump where you get ambushed and rescued, don't go back to base, instead sell all the expensive equipment on the ship, then return it. Terracorp doesn't seem to care, and you get 400,000 credits.
4. Now, either sell the cargo ship you get for completing this mission and go buy a small fighter to hunt pirates (when they surrender randomly you get their ships to sell for good money, and it makes you friends with other races) or
5. You'll never get enough cash without literally days of trading unless you cheat. So cheat. Get a hex editor, find the hex with the amount of credits you have in your save game file, and give yourself a hundred billion credits. Detailed instructions can be found online. INSERTEDIT - you can't cheat with versions later than 1.0, that's why I said not to patch - ENDINSERTION
6. Go buy and equip a huge fleet, go on the story missions, or for real fun, see if you can kill every station everywhere it the game. I loved it when my six capital ships opened fire in Argon Prime on the Argon One, and it was soooo pretty! Then I conquered the known universe...or at least killed everyone in it...I don't think that particular save game will work too well with the upcoming expansion....

Hopefully the expansion pack will fix this game, it's got such a sweet engine.

I forget, is any space-combat game coming out again, ever?
Whatever happened to that Russian Homeplanet game? I want Independence War 3 too!

That's it, now I'm just gonna have to cry myself to sleep.

Die Kilrathi Scum! I'll never forgive your treachery in WC3. I enjoyed genociding you!

Ah, now I feel better.

This comment was edited on Aug 25, 01:03.

Aug 24, 2004, 23:51
Tim
Re: Lets recap for a moment Aug 24, 2004, 23:51
Aug 24, 2004, 23:51
Tim

Why are people defending this game again? I can understand if you like it, it's really not that bad, but aren't you just a wee annoyed it brings NOTHING new to first person shooters besides a pretty new engine?

Are you num man? Doom 3 was remake that was revised from the original. Since when are mind blowing playable CG like graphics nothing new? What will Half Life 2 be but HL 1 with a pretty new engine, and it isnt even pretty at all.

HL2 will in no way be like HL1. Face it.

Aug 24, 2004, 23:46
Re: Lets recap for a moment Aug 24, 2004, 23:46
Aug 24, 2004, 23:46

Pre-emtive reply from tasteless id fanboys: Halo and Goldeneye are shitty console games! Lamer!
This comment was edited on Aug 24, 23:48.

Lets recap for a moment
Aug 24, 2004, 23:20
Lets recap for a moment Aug 24, 2004, 23:20
Aug 24, 2004, 23:20

Doom 3 isn't as good as these games that was released before it:

Half-life
system shock 2
deus ex
halo
far cry
fucking goldeneye for the N64

Of course this is just off the top of my head

Why are people defending this game again? I can understand if you like it, it's really not that bad, but aren't you just a wee annoyed it brings NOTHING new to first person shooters besides a pretty new engine?

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 23:21.

Re: No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 22:56
Re: No subject Aug 24, 2004, 22:56
Aug 24, 2004, 22:56

they should of just had "LETTUCE" fly out of the corners of the rooms and it wouldve been more "Frightening" than half of the ghoulies you come up against..

it was funny- about 3/4th of the game, i just said FUCKIT. and ran towards any imps and blew em away with 1 blast.. just spammed the shit outta the revenents when i ran towards em with my shotty.. for the spiderwoman in the caverns, i just hid and crouched in the corner of the dig site and let loose with my chain gun as the shit she threw bounced off the wall above me hah.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 22:57.

Re: No subject
Aug 24, 2004, 22:49
Re: No subject Aug 24, 2004, 22:49
Aug 24, 2004, 22:49

87. No subject Aug 24, 20:06 ildon

I think the real problem is Id was trying to create a cinematic horror game, more similar to an FPS Resident Evil type game, and people seem to have been expecting a Quake1-style action shooter (or maybe a HL1-style wander-around-in-the-desert-for-15-hours-then-go-to-the-
dimension-of-jump-puzzles-and-get-bored-or-frustrated-and-
quit-yet-still-rave-that-it's-the-greatest-game-of-all-time-
somehow-forgetting-that-you-used-noclip/god-for-the-last-
2-hours-of-gameplay-if-you-bothered-completing-it-at-all shooter).

This message was edited at Aug 24, 20:07.

amen!

hahaha, i think that none of us has the truth in his hands. did you like doom3? well, i did not, keep on going to see whats next!

the best thing we could do is to keep a good mood about others opinions.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 22:52.

Re: HL Story
Aug 24, 2004, 22:18
Re: HL Story Aug 24, 2004, 22:18
Aug 24, 2004, 22:18

Let us not forget that Doom3 did not even have an alternate fire button. Common guys, let it go. Doom3 isn't that good.

And btw, to the sane among us who also still have a sense of humor, since when did "they're demons" become an adequate excuse for poor AI? I mean, all of the demons I've met in my life were very intelligent. That's the problem with demons I guess...there are so many of them out there that it's hard to emulate them accurately.

Aug 24, 2004, 21:39
Re: HL Story Aug 24, 2004, 21:39
Aug 24, 2004, 21:39

I mean as far as inventory goes, they shoulda just included 'shotguns' with various ammo types, HAHA.. lord knows how feable it is to take down anything or than a cherub with a machinegun or plamagun..

Aug 24, 2004, 21:19
Re: HL Story Aug 24, 2004, 21:19
Aug 24, 2004, 21:19

grab armor pack.

fade to black.

imp spawn.

wwooww....

pinnacle of doom3 gameplay. id rather actually of had doom stlye gameplay over doom3s, flashlight up my bum, gun in my hand.. shit.. its the first game that I can now look back on and wish had that "turn backwards" keybind or whatever the hell its called.. HAHA.

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 21:41.

Aug 24, 2004, 20:49
Re: HL Story Aug 24, 2004, 20:49
Aug 24, 2004, 20:49

Doom3 is just about going from mars station A to mars station B, finding PDA C to open door D and repeat the whole sequences ad infinitum. I have seen this gameplay 10 years ago;

Wow, amazing how a remake would sound like it did 10 years ago, truly amazing.

130 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older