Out of the Blue

As I make my way through DOOM 3 (I'm in the Delta Labs, my only excuse for my slowness is playing on the penultimate difficulty level), I continue to gib each corpse I encounter or create along the way. It's long since I have stopped believing it has any actual gameplay impact, it's more of a superstition... it just seems imprudent to leave cadavers lying around in what is undeniably a zombie-rich environment.

Stories of the Day: Woman Chows 38 Lobsters in Eating Contest. Thanks Jim Chaney.
Reverend Billy's Unholy War (registration required).
Moving Vehicle Struck by Lightning. Thanks Devicer.
Auction of the Day: Have your LOGO Tattooed on My Leg THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!. Thanks Monty Gonzalez.
Media of the Day: THX 1138 Preview 2. Thanks athlonseven.
Corny Joke of the Day. Thanks Craig.
Thanks Mike Martinez
View : : :
126 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older

Re: Weapons Loss
Aug 24, 2004, 11:54
nin
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 11:54
Aug 24, 2004, 11:54
nin

I think it's an 845GEBV2...personally, I think the problem is the card wants a fully compliant AGP 3.0 slot, and the board does 2.2 (If I remember correctly.)

One spot on EVGAs page says 3.0 is required, but I've seen 2.0 mentioned elsewhere…

I've tried (among other things) bios upgrades, mobo drivers, video drivers, clean install of windows, changing bios settings, and disabling anything that shares an IRQ (16 in this case, and that means USB related devices) with the card...

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

Aug 24, 2004, 11:22
Enahs

Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 11:22
Aug 24, 2004, 11:22
 Enahs

nin...what is your current make and model motherboard?

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 24, 2004, 10:57
nin
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 10:57
Aug 24, 2004, 10:57
nin

Intel is hardly a white knight...

Oh, I know. It just blew my mind that AMD had the PERFECT chance to kick MS in the crotch, and then didn't do it. At the time, I just wanted to scream...(I seem to be doing a lot of screaming these days!)

But the whole case fell apart anyway...so I guess it wouldn't have made much difference (other than MS making life MORE difficult on AMD).

Don't try this at home. Don't try this when you're alone. Don't try this at home. You're gonna hurt yourself. http://www.laptopic.com

Aug 24, 2004, 10:39
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 10:39
Aug 24, 2004, 10:39

Ok, I can understand that... but then you might want to look into all the crap Intel does. Both with MS and against any competition. Or even to their own design teams. Intel is hardly a white knight...

If it makes you feel better, MS appears to be delaying XP-64 until Intel figures out WTF they're going to do with a dead-end processor architecture.

Aug 24, 2004, 09:33
nin
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 09:33
Aug 24, 2004, 09:33
nin

If you're getting a new CPU and MB, why even stick with Intel? The Athlon64 line is a whole lot cheaper, cooler, and faster. And yes, I own stock in both companies.

Never been a fan of AMD. Especially after their CEO rolled over on his back for Microsoft in the middle of their antitrust trial a few years ago. (He basically admitted that he said what MS told him to say, in exchange for MS making a big deal about AMD working great with their products.)

It's silly, I know. But the guy had the chance to tell the truth about how MS treats OEMs, and instead he sold out.

Bad dog, no biscuit.

Aug 24, 2004, 09:21
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 09:21
Aug 24, 2004, 09:21

But now I'm waiting on NewEgg to email me back with what revision of the mobo I'm after that they're selling, since Intel only supports certain procs w/ certain mobos.

Er... ooookaaaay.

If you're getting a new CPU and MB, why even stick with Intel? The Athlon64 line is a whole lot cheaper, cooler, and faster. And yes, I own stock in both companies.

Aug 24, 2004, 09:11
nin
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 09:11
Aug 24, 2004, 09:11
nin

Na, no power supply. But it's a 430w, the GT only uses 1 power plug, and I'm not overclocking ANYTHING.

The reason I shy'ed away from the PS was at some points, it'd reboot when I was just using windows. Once, when I was installing FarCry, once just opening a folder on the drive, and twice in 10 minutes browsing the web.

All of these issues disappear once I swap the cards back, and this install of windows is only about 3 weeks old now (it was a fresh install when this all started).

I'm going to grab another mobo, and maybe a new proc and case too, and shove the demon possessed machine to my bro-in-law...

But now I'm waiting on NewEgg to email me back with what revision of the mobo I'm after that they're selling, since Intel only supports certain procs w/ certain mobos.

Ain't technology grand? Is it any wonder consoles are selling like hotcakes?

This comment was edited on Aug 24, 09:12.

Aug 24, 2004, 04:34
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 04:34
Aug 24, 2004, 04:34

nin did you ever try a different power supply?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 24, 2004, 01:47
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 01:47
Aug 24, 2004, 01:47

Gents, I require your opinion one more time...

In my opinion, I think you should send the card my way for exorcism of evil spirits. It is well known that a violent death can cause spirits to be trapped in a state of 'limbo'. The spirits of all the deceased virtual representations of human beings (or mutants, mercenaries, ninjas, nazis, zombies, etc.) can manifest themselves as 'ghost pixels' which will interfere with the correct functioning of your computer. My computer case and motherboard are covered with pentagrams and ancient runes that will contain these evil spirits, so they cannot contaminate the rest of the world's video card supply.

(By the way... due to inflation, and rising insurance and fuel costs, my $.02 is now $6.73. Payment can be made by check, money order, or PayPal)

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

BETS DOM 3
Aug 24, 2004, 01:00
BETS DOM 3 Aug 24, 2004, 01:00
Aug 24, 2004, 01:00

HAY GUY WAHT UPps!1 tis is teh POO ASS hera for you. BULE i want to sya taht i bet SDOOM3 on e-z difculty. it wasn't to hard becasue it was e-z. afer i bet TEH GAMES i look bakc and i tought that DOM 3 was one of BEST game i play tihs years!!! i like it lot. oen time monster jump at me and almost made me POO ASS an not teh good kind ether!!!!@ after DELT LAB you have MROE game to paly BLUE so ENJOYS IT TEH GAME anD SAVE MARs form HELLS. oh yah soemtime you can us flashlight as wepon and hit monster with flashlight to dies.

POO ASS OUT!11111111111

Aug 24, 2004, 00:57
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 00:57
Aug 24, 2004, 00:57

Same FUCKING ISSUE!!!
Oh dude, that sucks nut. Do you have another machine that you can test the vid card in, just to make sure that you're not banging your head against the wall for no reason?

How many sticks of RAM do you have in your machine? If more than one, have you tried just using one stick at a time to see if there is something wrong with your memory?

What mobo do you have now? Fire up driver cleaner (http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/) before you try anything else and make sure that the old drivers are well and truly gonzo.

I feel bad for you, really. It shouldn't be this hard to make stuff work. Imagine if you were a computer know-nothing, you're be super-boned.

PS: OMFG I'm ripped. I think it was the shot of Jager that put me over the edge. I want Taco Bell like you can't imagine!

Aug 24, 2004, 00:15
WarPig

Re: Weapons Loss Aug 24, 2004, 00:15
Aug 24, 2004, 00:15
 WarPig

Same FUCKING ISSUE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Man, I feel for you nin. That really sucks.

Let me ask you this: As you were finally firing up that new card, wasn't there something deep inside you that somehow knew that it was going to happen like this?

That's the way I can be sometimes anyway... pleasantly surprised when things work right.

-------------------------------------------------------
Doom 3? Half Life 2?

Well huzzah, huzzah. I'll just throw back my legs and pollute my britches with delight. ~ Mr. Burns

Re: No subject
Aug 23, 2004, 22:20
Tim
Re: No subject Aug 23, 2004, 22:20
Aug 23, 2004, 22:20
Tim

Good heads up Hump, Maybe Blue will put this in the headlines.

No subject
Aug 23, 2004, 21:38
No subject Aug 23, 2004, 21:38
Aug 23, 2004, 21:38

All you DC fans who also happen to own BF:V, your day has come (I think). Another mod team has put together what looks to be a possible DC killer (if thats possible).

http://www.pointofexistence.com/component/

this looks like high quality stuff, US vs Soviet hardware. Comanche chopper (US) Tunguska anti-everything tank (USSR) are two of the highlights.

I've finally found a reason to re-install BF:V.

What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 23, 2004, 19:48
Enahs

Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:48
Aug 23, 2004, 19:48
 Enahs

Unless anyone came come up with a better reason (and you guys know I've tried everything!) I'm going to order a new motherboard tonight.

What is your specs again?
And you did say you tried it on a fresh install of windows on another drive/partition

_____
Enahs
That’s a deep kiss too, like the Europeans. You know the French they have to unhinge their jaw to show love.
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Aug 23, 2004, 19:43
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:43
Aug 23, 2004, 19:43

Motherboard.

Get a new one.

Does not have to be high end, but do get a reputable one.

Thinking Doom 3 is so three weeks ago ;P,
Ray

-----
I just started playing X2. I have no idea what I am doing.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Aug 23, 2004, 19:33
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:33
Aug 23, 2004, 19:33

Same FUCKING ISSUE!!!

What was the problem again?

It always pays to have a friend with a system that you can use to test your parts...

Aug 23, 2004, 19:16
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:16
Aug 23, 2004, 19:16

Same FUCKING ISSUE!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that man... in my experience, sometimes hardware just doesn't work, and the least stressful solution is to replace the motherboard.

Still, the delivery of a new mobo shouldn't take as long as all the hoop-jumping to get the card RMA'd. OK, that's not much of a bright side.

Aug 23, 2004, 19:13
Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:13

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

that sucks... but, at least now you know it isn't the card. in your shoes, i'd do the same thing - new mobo!!
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Re: Weapons Loss Aug 23, 2004, 19:13

Unless anyone came come up with a better reason (and you guys know I've tried everything!) I'm going to order a new motherboard tonight.

For those of us who don't remember, what do you have in your rig?

Maybe I should add not to put it in your sig, you'll piss folks off....

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
126 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ] Older