Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

• id Software
    The id Software Interview on IGN talks with id CEO Todd Hollenshead at QuakeCon about the show, DOOM 3, and the future: "Well, Quake games were faster--I mean, especially Quake III was really a twitch, arcade-style game, and Doom 3 is a more slower-paced game--more about horror and fear and suspense than it is about running around at 90 miles an hour, jumping across a jump pad and railing somebody across a level and what-have-you while you're collecting your red armor."
  • Neverwinter Nights 2
    There's a Neverwinter Nights 2 Q&A on 1UP (thanks Maximus) talking with Feargus Urquhart of Obsidian about progress on the D&D RPG sequel: "But our biggest focus right now is on the single-player campaign. I mean, the original campaign wasn't bad; some people criticized it, but I wouldn't say it was necessarily bad. But I finished both expansion packs to the first Neverwinter and not even I have finished the original game. So that's one of our goals: take what we've learned from Fallout and Planescape: Torment, and really make a great single-player game."
  • X˛ - The Return
    The X˛ - The Return Thread on the Egosoft Forums offers some screenshots from the just-announced X˛ expansion along with a quick Q&A about the project. Thanks Frans.
  • America's Army
    The America's Army Q&A on GameDaily (thanks HomeLAN Fed) talks with David Kozlowski, associate producer on the U.S. Army's first-person shooter: "America's Army has and continues to be carefully guided and scrutinized by the Army, and the end result is an extremely credible Army experience. The realism is one of the main features that captivated our players and they immediately embraced the training, gameplay, and the chance to play Army as realistically as possible."
  • Middle-Earth Online
    The Middle-Earth Online Q&A on Middle Earth Warcry recaps the panel discussion Q&A at the recent Turbine Nation dealie about the upcoming MMORPG: "Part of being in a living, breathing world is actually having the world live and breathe… actually having lighting storms that freak out the cats, having foggy days and bright sunny days. All of those variations are important."
  • BF:V WW2 Mod
    The Battlefield Vietnam Website has an in-house Q&A discussing the World War II modification for Battlefield Vietnam that's expected to be released today (story). Thanks Frans.
  • Children of the Nile
    The Children of the Nile Preview on 1UP offers some quotes from Chris Beatrice of Tilted Mill about their upcoming strategy game: "The simple model is this: people in the game world take care of themselves. Sounds easy, right? But I didn't say they take care of your problems, or that they do what you want them to do. Your role is to exploit their needs and desires to serve your ends. Taking care of them is not in and of itself a challenge, and doesn't get you anything."
  • Music
    “Evil Genius” and “Freelancer” Composer James Hannigan is Determined to Score [Part 1] on GameZone talks with the composer about how much he likes to score.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: re:d3 dm Aug 20, 2004, 23:24 Taulin

Playing Doom3 brings back a lot of memories of playing Quake 1, with a touch of Doom. Doom 3 has a 'new' fealing to it. Nice and fresh. Sure, every texture might have too much bump mapping, but wow, it is great. That tube is a 'real' tube coming from the wall. If you get close, you can see how the bumb mapping causes divits in it when you shine your light on it. I am eating it all up.

Of course, I am a graphics junky. I still remember playing DM Doom over a null modem cable back in the dorms.

I think we will never get the experience that Doom gave because we are in 3D. In "2.5"D, we could concentrate on the kill. The Environment. Etc. Aim was important, but not as important as the experience. And the experience is what makes memories.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: re:d3 dm Aug 20, 2004, 23:20 Animals for Crackers

Agreed its minimalist MP. Solid as hell though and definately the best pure Deathmatch after Doom 2 of course Getting your aim knocked off when you're hit and getting knocked around by the weapons adds alot to it. There are a few very cool hiding spots and unreachable places you can get to by strafe/rocket jumping, reminscent of Quake 2. Hopefully someone makes a CTF mod, that'd be fucking awesome.

Edit:
And then every other server has a password

Had the same prob..think the browser is totally messed. Try using console to connect to IP instead. Since I started doing that no more server full/need password messages anymore.
"My enemy's enemy...is....my friend?"
One of the many jewels from AvP.
This comment was edited on Aug 20, 23:24.

18. re:d3 dm Aug 20, 2004, 20:52 buzzfunk

I have to say that with the right Rig and a good net connection, D3 MP is a lot of fun. After all the games with vehicles, turrets and rainbow colors, it feels good to back to the basics. I dunno, i just like the feel of id games. Lets hope they will make a RA3 for Doom3...

17. Re: NWN2 Aug 20, 2004, 19:15 Creston

If they do that, I would buy this game.

Since they actually made Fallout and Planescape, my guess would be that they will do that.

NWN2, I dunno, they're talking about maybe not having a DM mode, maybe not having this, maybe not having that. So in the end what might wind up with is an RPG called Neverwinter Nights. It might be a very good RPG, but it's still not the same.

I do hope they'll make a new engine though. I'm getting pretty tired of all the tilesets. (Although after probably 1000+ hours of playing that's to be expected I guess.)

Creston

16. No subject Aug 20, 2004, 16:57 space captain

agreed

UT-XMP looks super sweet too... i loved the U2 version, but it just didnt play tight enough (in terms of netcode)

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

15. NWN2 Aug 20, 2004, 15:22 Gandhi

So that's one of our goals: take what we've learned from Fallout and Planescape: Torment, and really make a great single-player game

If they do that, I would buy this game. The first NWN was so .... meh! But I will wait for the reviews first - I got burned buying the first one.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

14. Re: No subject Aug 20, 2004, 15:08 Gandhi

the D3 multiplayer community wont grow very large... i doubt if you will top 10K people playing at any one time - and thats a first for Id

way too many MP games on horizon that will absolutely RAPE it in terms of gameplay

a mod may save it but Im doubtful on that too

Heh, UT2K4 is so much better gameplay then Doom 3. Granted, its like comparing apples and oranges, but D3DM was really put in there as an afterthought.

UT2k4 on the other hand, is still a ton of fun, and I hope will get even better once the UT-XMP mod is released for the game.

Check out the video they just released -

http://www.free-monkey.com/main/utxmp.php

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

13. Re: BFV Aug 20, 2004, 13:47 DDI

So wait, it took you guys a full month to come out with a hotfix for the M60 and nearly six months for 1.1 but you started porting bf1942 content to BFV within a few weeks?

Heres a crazy thought...more than one person works on BF:V.

Maybe some of the art guys started working on the mod while the programmers worked on patches or somethin.. use your brain

12. No subject Aug 20, 2004, 13:42 space captain

the D3 multiplayer community wont grow very large... i doubt if you will top 10K people playing at any one time - and thats a first for Id

way too many MP games on horizon that will absolutely RAPE it in terms of gameplay

a mod may save it but Im doubtful on that too

No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

11. Re: 4 players tho... Aug 20, 2004, 13:03 Frijoles

I hear that the SDK must be released before the 4 player limit can be changed

There are already a bunch of servers running with > 4 players. It's a setting. However, anything higher than 4 and you start to get some nasty lag.

but doom3 sounds too generic to be interesting for very long

It's fun, but you're right. It gets boring. The fun part is interacting with the map by turning the lights off. I'm looking forward to new maps that use this more.

The biggest frustration is the damn server browser. The filtering on it just plain doesn't work. You can click on a "Team DM" game and end up in a regular DM match. Ping can only be sorted if you click on a different column first. And then every other server has a password. There's a patch for this in the works, though, thank god.

10. BFV Aug 20, 2004, 11:19 Cutedge

Q: How soon after release of BFV did work begin?
A: Work began on the WWII Mod in early April of '04, so less than a month after BFV launched.

So wait, it took you guys a full month to come out with a hotfix for the M60 and nearly six months for 1.1 but you started porting bf1942 content to BFV within a few weeks?

I played this game the other day. It's still not bad, but the performance on ATI cards is still dodgy to have me playing it.

9. Re: 4 players tho... Aug 20, 2004, 10:48 Furious

I hear that the SDK must be released before the 4 player limit can be changed, or else you have to hack the doom3 exe?

I think you can do it in the command line, aka, in the Doom 3 Icon. Something like "C:\..\..\Doom3.exe" +set_comMp=6

The 'set_comMp' is probably wrong, just replace it with the right Doom 3 variable, you can find it in the DoomConfig.cfg file.

8. 4 players tho... Aug 20, 2004, 10:26 neko_

I seriously question how much fun you have have with 4 players in deathmatch.

Splinter Cell MP sounds interesting for 2-2, but doom3 sounds too generic to be interesting for very long.

I hear that the SDK must be released before the 4 player limit can be changed, or else you have to hack the doom3 exe? At least that's what I heard.

I personally would love a marines vs demons style MP game. It could use the SP art assets too!

7. DOOM 3 ads Aug 20, 2004, 10:08 Schnapple

kinda off topic - anyone find it odd that the takeover ads and banners, etc. are all for DOOM 3? How many people coming to Blue's News need convincing to buy the game? How many Blue's News people who haven't bought it would be convinced by an ad?  
Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

6. Re: id Aug 20, 2004, 09:26 Frijoles

A multiplayer game isn't fun if your opponents don't pose a challenge.

Amen. Here are some helpful suggestions for newbies in Doom3 mp:

1) For the love of god, turn 'always run' on.
2) Look behind you from time to time! I managed to walk up behind someone with a shotgun, he just sat there trying to camp some stairs. Eventually he turned around and saw me.
3) If you are in team DM, you normally can't kill your teammate no matter how many bullets you use (unless you make good use of a rocket at their feet with a handy pit nearby).
4) There's a differen between 'say' and 'team say'. Take a guess what that is.

Other than that, I'm having fun. I usually play with 1 really good guy and 2 newbs, so it's not too bad.

Frij

5. Re: Quake3 Aug 20, 2004, 09:18 pob

quake3 slow, quakeworld quick.

4. Re: Quake3 Aug 20, 2004, 03:40 Ray Marden

Doom 3 had to be slow solely due to how the game was designed. I mean, at no point could you take any of the small corridors, open up some doors, and throw forty enemies at your character. Compare nearly any of the boss levels from any of the previous Doom games to those of Doom 3 - you just cannot do it, at least not in any feasible way.

Wanting $%$#@%$ Half-Life 2 $%@#%$#% right %$@#%$ now %$%$@#%$@,
R %$@#%4 A %$@%$#@$%$#@ y @%$%%

-----
HAIL ALL PLANET ZYGON...ER...THE RAY MARDEN OF THE BLUE'S NEWS.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

3. Re: id Aug 20, 2004, 03:31 Scottish Martial Arts

Really great first person experience, but I just can't get into the vanilla MP.

I've been enjoying Doom 3 4-man DM quite a bit. The biggest problem for me is simply that the multiplayer community isn't taking off and the resulting competition is anything but stiff. A multiplayer game isn't fun if your opponents don't pose a challenge. Other than that I love the whole hunting/stealth feel to D3DM.

2. Quake3 Aug 20, 2004, 02:44 Nibs

Personnaly i would love to see a Quake3 remake with todays graphics. The speed of the game is what keeps me playin.

Doom 3 being a more slower-paced game may indicate a aging id team

1. id Aug 20, 2004, 01:29 SmyTTor

Man... he just brings home for me how crappy the multiplayer in Doom3 is. How I miss Rocket Arena.

Really great first person experience, but I just can't get into the vanilla MP. My only hope for it is modding, but after seeing the Source for HL, I can't really see why any good modder wouldn't rather save their effort for good ol' Freeman.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo