Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Half-Life 2 Steam Preloads

Half-Life 2 Fallout (thanks GameSpot) has more news from their forums as Gabe Newell made a post yesterday indicating that today is the day Half-Life 2 assets will begin pre-loading for some customers over Steam:

HL/2 pre-load will begin tomorrow. It was ready yesterday, but we decided to use the bandwidth to get out the VST first since I get pelted with zillions of questions from people asking how their PC will run Half-Life 2.

View
68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

8. On a side note... Aug 19, 2004, 10:50 Mega Fantasy Sci-Fi PostApocalyptic MMORTRPFPS 9000

I got some surprising results from the Source engine benchmark they included yesterday. An average of 70 fps @ 1024x768 (highest details, no AA or AF) on a mediocre machine. (AMD 2600, 9700 pro)
It doesn't look like an upgrade is necessary at all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:48 Ray Marden

Although I can certainly let Steam more or less rape me/my hard drive because this is Gordon "Stephen" Freeman and/or Meestor Newell, I cannot help but think that a system like this ultimately needs to have significantly more user control or have the market consolidate even further (as scare a thought as that is.)

What if every developer or publisher decided to have a system like this? Am I supposed to have fifty Steam-like programs running on my computer? Kill my bandwidth eacn and every day? Go out and buy four or five hard drives solely for these developers or publishers to randomly whore out my hard drives?

Again, Valve can pretty much make me its b*tch :o, but it really should look at how it is handling the program and what options/control it is giving me as the end user. Yeah, I know that I can essentially block it from doing things, but it requires a lot more work on my end than it should. It is not like I can just open up the Steam window and see what it is specifically doing or decide whether or not to start or stop the pushes that Valve makes.

Having played Darkness 3 Doom 3; now wanting to play a real game :D,
Ray

-----
HAIL ALL PLANET ZYGON...ER...THE RAY MARDEN OF THE BLUE'S NEWS.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Aug 19, 10:49.

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

6. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:46 MMORPGHoD

Ha, you guys think you're storing Valve's games on your HD? Little do you know you've just saved them a ton of hard drive space. Now they have a HUGE amount of remote storage capacity for their p0rn.

5. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:37 nin

But c'mon guys! It'S STEAM! WHOO! Look at it go! Let's all watch it write to the drive!! Isn't this great?!? Look, more data was just written!!! WHOOO!!!!! GO STEAM GO!!!

not.

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

4. Re: Aug 19, 2004, 10:37 Rseman

I have it stopped... I don't and won't have steam:P

While writing things Gabe... how's about telling us if we can play the single player of this without having to see, hear, experience, or install steam...

I have it pre ordered and all... and, well, these days the better half lets me buy like 4 games a year, six if I can hide them from her... Anyway, if this absolutely, positively has to have steam... then I can start looking for something else...

Thanks in advance:P

3. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:37 Furious

Should keep companies who write Virus Checkers busy for quite a long time to come.

2. Re: No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:33 quazz

Here's two gig of useless crap on your hard drive. Don't worry, it'll have some use in a month or two.
I'm sure you can stop it from downloading though (you can, right?).

1. No subject Aug 19, 2004, 10:29 MMORPGHoD

And so it begins...

68 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo