Half-Life 2 Movie

A second high-resolution Half-Life 2 E3 presentation trailer is now available showing off Valve's upcoming shooter sequel. The Bink-format clip is a 61 MB download, available on 3D Downloads, 3D Gamers, 4Players.de, Boomtown (registration required), Filerush (torrent), Tiscali Games (where's there's also a smaller DivX version), and Worthplaying.
View : : :
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

hl2 leak
Aug 23, 2004, 14:17
hl2 leak Aug 23, 2004, 14:17
Aug 23, 2004, 14:17

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 26, 23:29.

Re: Blah, blah, blah...FART!
Aug 19, 2004, 04:56
Re: Blah, blah, blah...FART! Aug 19, 2004, 04:56
Aug 19, 2004, 04:56

Here is a better one for ya:

I'm the Doom Guy in Doom 3:
Lol him and Gordon Freeman would get on quite well. They also both have extraordinarily loud heartbeats that would probably be of interest to doctors everywhere.

Re: Blah, blah, blah...FART!
Aug 18, 2004, 22:04
Re: Blah, blah, blah...FART! Aug 18, 2004, 22:04
Aug 18, 2004, 22:04

Here is a better one for ya:

I'm the Doom Guy in Doom 3:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Blah, blah, blah...FART!
Aug 18, 2004, 21:14
Blah, blah, blah...FART! Aug 18, 2004, 21:14
Aug 18, 2004, 21:14

Check this out: I'm pretending to be the mad scientist (cliche) in Doom 3.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF MY WORK!

NOW I WILL UNLEASH THE POWERS OF HELL AND KILL YOU ALL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I WILL SEE YOU...IN HELL! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

YOUR SOUL IS MINE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re: D3 vs HL2
Aug 18, 2004, 20:00
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 18, 2004, 20:00
Aug 18, 2004, 20:00

Original release date : 02 SEP 2004
New release date : 02 NOV 2004

Aug 17, 2004, 12:57
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 17, 2004, 12:57
Aug 17, 2004, 12:57

but tis nice to see that the critics are not totally off-base

Yeah the critics should all ask S_DOG34 his opinion of Doom 3 before they write their reviews. lol.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Aug 17, 2004, 01:54
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 17, 2004, 01:54
Aug 17, 2004, 01:54

No you are just being a dumbass and focusing on linear being "a straight line" rather than a path.

You said, and I quote,
I think you need to look up the definition of "Linear" cus you shure don't know what it means.

So, I'm wrong for thinking that linear means more than just "a straight line', but I am also wrong for saying that linear means only "a straight line"? Talk about waffling...are you John Kerry's long lost brother (www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com)?

Wow only a real troll resorts to the pathetic attack of a spelling error and use of abbreviation. If this is all you got you need help.

That's funny...you can tell other people they don't know the meaning of words, but when they point out that you can't even spell correctly they are the ones trolling? You decided to be a prick, and I knocked you down by taking away some of your credibility. End of story. And btw, if anyone around here is trolling, it's you. I think many others would agree that your every post on these forums is the essence of what trolling is.

that would make for one horrible watching experience.
Actually, watching the movie in reverse order was exactly what made Memento a great film. It would have been very boring to see it in chronological order.

Re: No subject
Aug 17, 2004, 00:43
Zar
Re: No subject Aug 17, 2004, 00:43
Aug 17, 2004, 00:43
Zar

Dagok, #66:

That image comparison is totally unfair and misleading, and I'm betting you know that. What I don't know is why you dedicate your time to maligning DOOM 3. What, are you getting paid by someone to do this?

Anyway, you did NOT show the "lowest" settings for DOOM 3, but TURNED OFF several key features altogether. If you had the slightest understanding at all about computer graphics, you'd know that the detail that was previously painted into ONE TEXTURE is now present in local color, bump, normal map and specular map textures. You cannot turn these off and expect what's left to look any good, and it certainly isn't representative of the game's graphics!

All you left was the local color map. OF COURSE it looks bad. There is no detail or shadowing in that layer, only base color! Take all the detail and painted-on shadows out of ANY game -- including your beloved Half-Life 2 -- and it'll look like total crap. If you dumbed down HL2 that way, it would be a bunch of colored blocks.

Hey, let's turn off all the shadows, too, and complain about how unrealistic the game looks without them.

For crying out loud...

By the way, HL2 will be awesome, I'm sure. I don't have to hate it to like DOOM 3.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 00:58.

Aug 16, 2004, 21:07
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 21:07
Aug 16, 2004, 21:07

There are two approaches to lighting and its interaction with geometry and surfaces.

1.crude, but dynamic
2.smoother/ more detailed, but static

HL2 and FarCry use both 1 and 2
Doom 3 is only number 1.

As processing power gets better, 1 looks better...

Doing everything in one pass is "cheating". Like how doom1/2 cheated by using 2d images for 3D monsters.

I'm not saying that I like the art of doom 3, bit that has little to do with the graphics engine.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 21:12.

Aug 16, 2004, 20:34
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 20:34
Aug 16, 2004, 20:34

Yes it was...it went backwards from point B to point A.

Sorry but it actually went back to a point in time, played forward, went back in time, played forward, etc. It did not just play backwards...that would make for one horrible watching experience.

We are talking about a word which you idiots throw around without knowing the meaning.

By your logic no game has ever been linear because you do not follow one exact path from start to finish

No you are just being a dumbass and focusing on linear being "a straight line" rather than a path. The environment in the game largely dictates whether a game is linear or not. If you are bound by walls with 1 path to finish that level or mission, it is linear. There are varying degrees of linearity between games. If you really want to be extremely broad and look extremely stupid sure you can say, well I start here everytime I play, and I end up here each time and call it linear, regardless of what you did in between those points.

Wow only a real troll resorts to the pathetic attack of a spelling error and use of abbreviation. If this is all you got you need help.

Dagok, the movies you cite are non-linear in a different sense to what it means in a game to be non-linear

Holy Christ read what the hell I was posting in response to. I was not comparing them to the context of what linear is to a movie compared to a game. I was responding directly to his quote that 'all movies were 100% linear'. As I said there are varying degrees of linearity. As far as movies go...Memento and Pulp Fiction are two movies that are non-linear compared to other movies.

As for the rest of your statement...refer to what I said above, "If you really want to be extremely broad and look extremely stupid sure you can say, well I start here everytime I play, and I end up here each time and call it linear, regardless of what you did in between those points. ".

Having the freedom of moving about a game (ie: Baldurs Gate) and not being restricted or forced to a particular route through the game makes that game (compared to other games) a non-linear game. But yes, like 99% of the games that exist today, you still start at point A and finish at point B because that is how the storyline was meant to end. It's what you did between those points to make your story play out differently, even though it ends the same.

Aug 16, 2004, 19:45
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 19:45
Aug 16, 2004, 19:45

story imporves an FPS because of imersion, serious sam, painkiller, I just found very boring after a while, the immersion in doom3 kept me interested depite the few flaws, though only a part of that was due to the story.

there's a large difference to background story told once at the start of the game, story that you jsut get filled in between levels (painkiller) and a true ongoing story you pick up as you play along (hl sortof, system shock, doom3)

mostly I admit I loved doom3 for reminisence, loving how much of the maps or situations truly were like doom1/2. As if doom1/2 were 2d (not 2.5 :p) and this was trully adding the third dimension, i adored seeing some of the old map sections comparitively comming to life, and i just loved seeing what was coming next with the maps and graphics.

<SOF2 still stands out to me as absolutely the most boring SP FPS i've ever played however, despite any feeble attempts at story>

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 19:48.

Aug 16, 2004, 17:56
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 17:56
Aug 16, 2004, 17:56

What real options are in a typical FPS that you've played. Forget how you kill the baddies, because the story doesn't change and you don't even need a story line for that. There are no options that effect the direction of the story line.

You can either finish the game the same exact order as everyone else or you can quit playing and not finish the game.

Forget the term linear. How about, I want to be able to interact in the game to the point where I have some control over how the story unfolds, including alternate levels and/or endings. A story is nice (the Doom 3 story is entertaining if you pay attention to it), but having knowledge of it doesn't make me any better of a player than an experienced FPS who doesn't pay attention to the story.

You're right, the amout of effort to make the story "useful" in a FPS probably isn't worth it, but it would be interesting. I'm just saying that, my ratings of importance on a scale of 1 to 5 as far as the story goes for a FPS is:

Graphics ++++
Gameplay +++++
Story +

Which is why I have a hard time understanding how one FPS can be better than another.. because of the story. On the other hand, a RPG would need to have a higher story rating IMO.

Aug 16, 2004, 17:36
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 17:36
Aug 16, 2004, 17:36

Dagok, the movies you cite are non-linear in a different sense to what it means in a game to be non-linear. Pulp fiction, Amores Perros and (I assume) Memento are not chronologically linear in that they jump about in time but at the end of your 2 hours you end up the story being told. It doesnt go A to B to C, it may not even end with C (Pulp Fiction) but ultimately it all fits together, non-linearly (ugh, made up word). You've been on the journey with John, Uma and Samuel L, and although you've seen it in a different order to them, you know where they all ended up.

Thinking about it, that doesn't work in a game though. Almost always in a game there is an obvious objective. You don't necessarily know what specifically it is, but ultimately there's a monster to kill at the end, a town to save, or something equally heroic. I haven't finished Doom III but I know I have to put a stop to whatever is sending these things to kill me. I'm fairly sure I'll have to kick the head of the Combine's ass too. It doesn't work to have me kill this guy in Act 2 and then go back to remind me how much fun I had fighting through the Alpha labs, two hours ago on my way to kill the thing-wot-I-just-killed. The reason for this is simple. However many movie reviews say 'this movie sucks you in and you feel part of it,' the whole time in any movie (save for interactive ones ;P) you have no say on what happens. John Travolta was shot earlier in the film, but shit- he's there in the restaurant. Cool trick Quentin, you think, but it's not non-linear in the game sense.
It's a wierd 'dilema' because, by definition a game is infinitely less linear than a movie. I decide if the lead character (who I assume to be me) takes one step to the left, shoots a light out or picks up a hooker in a car. But, I'd go so far as to say it is impossible to have a truly non-linear game - it just wouldn't work. The game can let me choose how I get to the end result. It can allow there to be fifty possible end results, and allow me to choose (or, if it's really clever, choose the ending itself as a result of my methodology). However, there must exist an endgame. This is a constraint that movies do not have. Movies can hop about in time because they are showing us how something happened. Games cannot because we are finding out what is happening.

This isn't supposed to attack your point, by the way. Nor is it trying to say games can be non-linear (to a point). All I'm saying is movie non-linearity of the sort you are talking about is almost impossible in games, just as a function of who you, the audience, is in each situation.

This is where someone points out games that hop around in time effectively. Could you complete defeat Quake and then play the first three episodes? That's the only one that's sprung to mind.

Edit: oops with those italics
This comment was edited on Aug 16, 17:37.

Aug 16, 2004, 17:12
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 17:12
Aug 16, 2004, 17:12

Memento, was not linear.

Yes it was...it went backwards from point B to point A.

By your logic no game has ever been linear because you do not follow one exact path from start to finish. If there is any deviation from a straight path, then it is non-linear right? We're talking about games, not definitions.

And I don't think anyone here needs vocabulary lessons from someone who uses the words alot, cus, and shure

Aug 16, 2004, 16:56
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 16:56
Aug 16, 2004, 16:56

movies--but they are all 100% linear

Memento, was not linear.
Pulp Fiction, was not linear.
There are alot of movies that are not linear.

Starting at point A and ending at point B does not mean something is linear...it is what occurs between points A and B that dictate whether something is linear or not. Baldurs Gate was not linear, you could travel to other regions of the game anytime you wanted, you were not bound by a straight path from beginning to end. I think you need to look up the definition of "Linear" cus you shure don't know what it means.

Aug 16, 2004, 16:47
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 16:47
Aug 16, 2004, 16:47

Well, it's kind of like the difference between Matrix 1 and Matrix 3...;) Movies are all utterly linear, which has no bearing on their entertainment value--there are good movies and poor movies--but they are all 100% linear. In Matrix 1 we got an interesting story along with characters easy to become involved with. By Matrix 3, however, the story and the characters became submerged in a sea of mindless special effects and superficial technopop art that was only pretending to be concluding saga of the story begun in Matrix 1 and the end movie was certainly a big disappointment to me. The idea that a fps cannot be entertaining and involving on emotional and intellectual levels simply because it's "linear" is ridiculous, I think, and is no more true for a fps than it is for a movie.

It is well known that I don't make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in something I have written, you can be confident in the fact that *I* did not write it.

Aug 16, 2004, 15:01
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 15:01
Aug 16, 2004, 15:01

And you're not going to get "beyond that" if the story itself has no impact on your decisions in the game. It's all still very linear.

And RTS games aren't linear? Hell, even most RPGs are linear. Games like Morrowind are totally open-ended (not really actually...you still have to go from A to B in the end), but most like Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment are still quite linear. You can only go to certain places at certain times and in a certain order. I'm not sure we're anywhere close to the kind of development and technology it would take for a totally non-linear FPS. It would kick major ass, but can you imagine the size of a game like that? You think HL2 took a long time to develop...

And storylines just further your involvement in the game. If you want to just run and gun through a mindless shooter, that's fine, but most of us expect more than that from a game. I think the real innovation in FPS games is giving players many options to get past certain areas. For example, you could either sneak past a guy, shoot out the lights and knock him out, shoot him in the head, lure him into a trap, distract him by throwing something past him, etc. That makes games still linear (point A to point B) but gives the players freedom to 'do it their own way'. You can run through the levels and blast everything in sight, and I can take my time figuring out how to manipulate the environment to make the game more interesting. That was one of my major problems with D3. You could either shoot the demons or shoot the demons. I wasn't even given the chance to make the game interesting.

If we're going to make a story a sigificant part of the game, with resources spent on developing it, then make it more than fancy wrapping paper around my mindless shooter.
If a game gives you options, it's only a mindless shooter if you play it that way.

Aug 16, 2004, 14:04
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 14:04
Aug 16, 2004, 14:04

And you're not going to get "beyond that" if the story itself has no impact on your decisions in the game. It's all still very linear. Your character halfway through the game is almost identical (except for the amount of ammo) to my character. If we're going to make a story a sigificant part of the game, with resources spent on developing it, then make it more than fancy wrapping paper around my mindless shooter.

Aug 16, 2004, 13:01
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 13:01
Aug 16, 2004, 13:01

the point is, they're trying to evolve beyond that, this isn't painkiller or serious sam.

Aug 16, 2004, 12:46
Re: D3 vs HL2 Aug 16, 2004, 12:46
Aug 16, 2004, 12:46

I chuckle when I see people talk about storylines and deep characters.. in a first person shooter. I suppose everyone is different, but I really don't care much about a story for that game type. I get that from RPGs and even real time strategy type games, where an understanding of the story is helpful or even critical to playing the game itself. You could have the richest story line ever in a FPS, but if you can play the entire game, shoot everything in sight, and ignore any of the information provided.. what's the point?

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older