Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Source/Half-Life 2 Preloads

Gabe Newell made a couple of posts to the Half-Life 2 Fallout Forums about plans for Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 data preloads on Steam in preparation for the release of each. Regarding Counter-Strike: Source, he says this in one post: "Just got out of a review meeting. 8/11 the Cafe's turn on (tomorrow). 8/16 CZ/ATI users pre-load. 8/18 CZ/ATI turns on," and in a subsequent post: "The engine test (CS:Source plus de_dust) for cyber-cafe's started pre-loading at 6." There are also posts on the Steam Users Forums indicating that Valve has started to pre-load Counter-Strike for some end-users (thanks Stoo). The first post also has word from Gabe on plans to start preloading art and sound assets for Half-Life 2: "8/17, HL-2 pre-load starts (textures, audio and other stuff that doesn't change)."

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

118. Re: American Aug 12, 2004, 19:11 S_DOG34

In parts of LA and San Fran, there are 10 in a 5 square mile radius.

I think your experiences with gaming centers are the exception rather than the rule. Well, it wouldn't be the first time that the silicon valley wasn't very representative of the rest of the US. I have lived in two major metropolitan areas in my life (Chicago and Toronto)and neither I nor anyone I know has ever been to or even heard of a gaming center. I am guessing that most of the other people on this forum will share my sentiments. Anyways, how many people who are revved up to play HL2 and have been keeping up with the news don't own a PC capable of running it? I don't think there are going to be big lineups at the local 'cool shop' (a.k.a. gaming center...where you can hang out with many other cool people while playing games!) to play HL2. It is exactly the same with movies as someone else already said. IF you buy a movie you cannot charge other people to see the movie without paying licensing fees. It makes sense to me.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

117. Re: American Aug 12, 2004, 18:47 Hollowguy

...place I go to has 80 machines and is packed during the summer at 5 bucks an hour.

Let's "break this down"...

80 machines x 5 bucks an hour = $400 an hour overall

$400 x 12 hour day (business hours - a guess) = $4800 overall per day

80 machines x $10 license fee (monthly) = $800 a month

$800 x 3 months = $2400 for 3 month block of license fees (Valve's payment plan)

One day of business more than pays for 3 months of license fees. What the "gaming centers" were doing is ILLEGAL. It's like buying a DVD and then charging people to watch the movie or taping a football game and charging people to watch it. Valve has just taken the proven business model and applied it to "gaming centers."

Maybe you don't know what in talking about.... Its called "good business sense". Some people call it "m-a-k-i-n-g m-o-n-e-y". Try it sometime. Oh… also it requires you to t-h-i-n-k for yourself, lol.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 18:49.

116. Re: American Aug 12, 2004, 18:33 Hollowguy

Why didn't the movie rental market destroy the movie business, hmmmm? It's because people like watching movies with other people.

Actually, the 3-4 month period that movies are in theaters before they can be rented is the reason the rental business hasn't destroyed the theater business. The rental business has affected it though - the ever increasing ticket prices show this.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but people go to movies to get out of the house - not to sit with a bunch of strangers ruining the movie with their comments and such. Your argument is like saying people go to libraries because they like to read books with other people.

115. American Aug 12, 2004, 17:41 smashhead

wow you guys are blind

bluesnews caters to such a small percentage of the gaming population. Most people here have top fo the line PCs and eat, sleep, breath gaming. But remember, the majority of people can't afford all this new hardware to play HL2. Also, some people enjoy gaming socially, so that's where the game centers come in.

The game center industry is pretty big actually and growing extremely fast. They are popping up everywhere. In parts of LA and San Fran, there are 10 in a 5 square mile radius. The place I go to has 80 machines and is packed during the summer at 5 bucks an hour. Its like a cyber cafe. People don't go there to play games by themselves. They can do that at home.

Why didn't the movie rental market destroy the movie business, hmmmm? It's because people like watching movies with other people.

Gamers go to game centers for the same reasons, so they can play with other gamers, hang out, BE SOCIAL.

Maybe you guys don't know what in talking about.... Its called "communicating to other humans". Some people call it "t-a-l-k-i-n-g". It doesn’t require a PC to do it. Try it sometime. Oh… also it requires you to w-a-l-k outside, lol.

114. Re: The Aug 12, 2004, 17:04 MMORPGHoD

I guess he's talking about steam causing problems with places that you can go to play video games on PCs, game centers. I'm not really familiar with them and am surprised such places exist in great numbers (other than the l33t places for competitions). Then again, I must be one of the 1% that doesn't need to wait years to play HL2, because I buy my own PCs and games. You'd think the people interested in that market would just spend a couple hundred bucks, go console, and rent games from blockbuster.

113. Re: The Aug 12, 2004, 16:16 S_DOG34

You guy are missing a major point about valve and their gestapo steam system.

This is the cold hard truth, so listen up!

Like I said before, they hired a massive legal team to come down HARD on the game center industry. No other game company other than Valve, has pursued the full legal measures to bring a lawsuit against the game center industry. They have already sent out notarized letters to many game centers FORCING them comply and pay for the game center program or get sued. This is after the game centers have bought the individual copies. If the game center doesn’t give Valve 1000s or 10000s of dollars, they might be shutdown. There is a grace period though, 10 days to uninstall. 99% will uninstall unless they have ghetto computers and only CS kiddies play there. Most of these places are run by seedy people, so they don’t care if they operate legally.

A big legal show down coming soon!!!

The future of the game center industry is in jeopardy BECUASE OF STEAM and VALVE. This is not a stretch. Both IGAMES and Valve have hired lawyers to begin the process. This lawsuit will predict how future game companies can enforce additional licensing fees on anyone that makes money while renting or leasing time playing games, even after they purchased the software. Around 1991-1992, I think, there was a similar lawsuit between sony and blockbuster. Blockbuster won hands down BECAUSE renting games was covered by law, section 92 of some software law. (I forgot the name, sorry)

Most of you guys probably won’t care because you constitute 1% of the gaming populous. But if you every have time, go ask your local game center and ask about valve. I do this all the time, they are great guys. If they are honest, then you will know how critical these legal moves by valve will effect gaming in the future. Then you will know that steam is very very bad for the future of gaming and it stunts the growth of gaming.

Biting the hand the feed them!!!

You have to remember that most people won't be able play HL2 for years till they get their mommy's business 3Ghz Dell. That’s where the game center industry comes in. They have supported Valve though the years, sponsoring events, making CS a global competition phenomenon. But now Valve is suing them?!??!?!? Who really supports the CPL and their CS leagues? Who has sponsored valve events and kept the interest in playing CS? It’s the game center industry that’s a part of Valve’s success. BUT they are too greedy to realize that game centers help them. At least EA and Microsoft are smart enough to know this and allow for game centers to operate within there financial means. Shit, they even sponsor game center events!!! They love them!!! They even visit the events and play!!!

By the way, I’m American. It’s the "American Way" to sue people. It’s AS AMERICAN as your mom's apple pie.

I don't think I've ever read a post that made less sense. Can anyone else find a single coherent argument in there?

112. The "american way" part 2 Aug 12, 2004, 14:20 smashhead

You guy are missing a major point about valve and their gestapo steam system.

This is the cold hard truth, so listen up!

Like I said before, they hired a massive legal team to come down HARD on the game center industry. No other game company other than Valve, has pursued the full legal measures to bring a lawsuit against the game center industry. They have already sent out notarized letters to many game centers FORCING them comply and pay for the game center program or get sued. This is after the game centers have bought the individual copies. If the game center doesn’t give Valve 1000s or 10000s of dollars, they might be shutdown. There is a grace period though, 10 days to uninstall. 99% will uninstall unless they have ghetto computers and only CS kiddies play there. Most of these places are run by seedy people, so they don’t care if they operate legally.

A big legal show down coming soon!!!

The future of the game center industry is in jeopardy BECUASE OF STEAM and VALVE. This is not a stretch. Both IGAMES and Valve have hired lawyers to begin the process. This lawsuit will predict how future game companies can enforce additional licensing fees on anyone that makes money while renting or leasing time playing games, even after they purchased the software. Around 1991-1992, I think, there was a similar lawsuit between sony and blockbuster. Blockbuster won hands down BECAUSE renting games was covered by law, section 92 of some software law. (I forgot the name, sorry)

Most of you guys probably won’t care because you constitute 1% of the gaming populous. But if you every have time, go ask your local game center and ask about valve. I do this all the time, they are great guys. If they are honest, then you will know how critical these legal moves by valve will effect gaming in the future. Then you will know that steam is very very bad for the future of gaming and it stunts the growth of gaming.

Biting the hand the feed them!!!

You have to remember that most people won't be able play HL2 for years till they get their mommy's business 3Ghz Dell. That’s where the game center industry comes in. They have supported Valve though the years, sponsoring events, making CS a global competition phenomenon. But now Valve is suing them?!??!?!? Who really supports the CPL and their CS leagues? Who has sponsored valve events and kept the interest in playing CS? It’s the game center industry that’s a part of Valve’s success. BUT they are too greedy to realize that game centers help them. At least EA and Microsoft are smart enough to know this and allow for game centers to operate within there financial means. Shit, they even sponsor game center events!!! They love them!!! They even visit the events and play!!!

By the way, I’m American. It’s the "American Way" to sue people. It’s AS AMERICAN as your mom's apple pie.

111. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 13:06 Hump

You still didn't answer my question about going to ebgames.com or downloading Half Life for almost the same price as the opening price for Half Life 2 from Steam......

Who gives a flying fuck? I'm talking about the current state of the PC distribution model which will have negative repercussions of developers staying with the PC format. What do you want me to say? Am I supposed to make the same assinine assumptions about what Valves motive is? If I don't then....

I will continue to consider you a moron

OH NOES!! Some guy named fucking "Batman" on a game news comments section will think less of me because i'm not whining about Valve. I shall lay awake nights crying.....or not.

I will now assume you purchased Half Life from Steam.

WOW!, fucking Houdini can read my mind AND the future. I haven't even "bought" HL2 yet. I had planned on buying the boxed version but the future is set......Steam it is! I bow to your mystical ways.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

110. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 12:46 Sepharo

Nothing to see here folks, move along... You didn't not just see John Kerry... Please move along. All politicos please evacuate the area, this is about steam... Can't have two thread busters in one thread. Please seperate the steam comments from the political.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 12:47.

109. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 12:01 Retired

trust me friend, I do a considerable amount of reading about the "industry". Rather than try to prove my point (evidently in your world you're never wrong) ask any indie or even a small publisher what its like to get a game onto retail shelves these days. Ask a new developer what they have to sacrifice of their creative vision (not to mention anything resembling a return on their time and sweat) in order to sign themselves onto a company who will be able to place their product where the public may have a chance to see it. Ask anyone who's had to deal with the "Starforce" CD-check system (and several others) if it doesn't agree with their software/hardware specs. Also, do I really need to go into the downside of Piracy on the PC Game industry alone?

Assume I'm talking out of my ass, frankly I dont care one way or the other. GG etc.

Soooooo....what are you trying to say? You still didn't answer my question about going to ebgames.com or downloading Half Life for almost the same price as the opening price for Half Life 2 from Steam......

I will continue to consider you a moron - cause I will now assume you purchased Half Life from Steam. It is like watching John Kerry debate - doesn't really ever make it back to the original issue.

108. One who eats babies as snacks? Aug 12, 2004, 10:28 B M

Is this the very same Gabe that eats babies as snacks?

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 10:28.

107. Re: Clarifications Aug 12, 2004, 10:25 MMORPGHoD

We'll soon see how well Steam is accepted. If Steam is as useful as some say it is, then it will be widely accepted with the HL2 release. If Steam causes more problems than it solves, then people will simply find ways around it.

Just look at the results of a slight delay in stores for the arrival of D3. My copy of D3 arrived last Friday and I had no problem waiting for it, then again I'm fairly patient.

106. No subject Aug 12, 2004, 10:21 SMT

Everybody shut up.

105. Re: Clarifications Aug 12, 2004, 09:49 Furious

Even Furious says
If a and b do not need active Internet connections everytime you start a SP or LAN game then I don't have a huge problem with STEAM

Proved that he is wrong, then he replies that he still doesn't like it because he "has to" install Steam. Even though he said he wouldnt have a problem if you didnt need it for SP and LAN.

Gabe Newell Teabag you much? Enjoy licking off that Special Sause from the Big Mac that fell on his sack? You'll be happy with STEAM and it's need to make you have the full product even for SP and or LAN until one day you:

1) Connect to STEAM
2) It starts to update your HL2 with new files
3) A T-Storm etc knocks out your Broadband/Modem connection
4) You no longer play HL2 SP or LAN until your connection is restored. If you lived in Maine a few winters ago power and utilities (Cable) were down for weeks.
5) Have fun with a product you can't use when you want how you want.

Why don't they just run the fucking 'current' version until the all the files are d/l'ed then apply them? Why the "when the full product is downloaded" stipulation? Why can't the consumer play offline WHENEVER they want? This cancels out my point of a or b as there are times when you will not be able to play SP or LAN Offline. Your a good little 'follower' Dagok.

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 11:47.

104. No subject Aug 12, 2004, 05:45 Scrub6969

I think vivendi should invest in steam as a distrubution product and then recieve their share of all products sold. That way valve can concentrate on making the games, and vivendi can concentrate on making steam a reliable and fast distribution method. That way everyone is happy and rich.

103. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 04:06 Hump

Hump I agree but Half-Life is hardly an indie in any sense. They are just greedy.

right, I agree but heres the thing....Hollowguy is correct Valve plans on using Steam not just for HL2 but as a distribution model for the industry. Thats why in my original post I stated I was glad someone was doing something about the current system.

Is valve greedy? About as much as any other company who has invested a large dollar figure into R&D on their products. Could they have done things a little better? Absolutely. But i don't don't need to tell anyone that we live in a capitalistic system and thats how it goes. You take the bad with the good. Also, for all the "greed' labels getting tossed about people seem to forget that Valve has probably released more free content than any other developer (even Epic).

If steam fails, then it fails but as I mentioned before someone needs to start somewhere fixing the current system or all we'll end up with eventually is Java based crap while all the good devs have signed on with the EA's and Vivendi's of the world to work on console product. Might as well be Valve that looks for a new path.

What Would Fred Do?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

102. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 04:06 Krovven

Sit back, eat a box of Twinkies and ask yourself one question: why are you such a shill?

Do you even know what a shill is? It has no context here...at all. What exactly am I trying to swindle you out of? Nothing. Do I give a fuck if you buy and play Half Life 2 or CS:Source? No. In fact I hope you and most of the idiots here don't. It will make playing online alot more pleasant.

You guys bitch about everything on the internet. First it was praise Doom 3, well thats out now and it wasn't perfect so you are bitching about it. Now CS:Source beta has started, you arent in it so you bitch about that. Playing online and getting updates will require Steam, you bitch about that.
Is there anything in your lives you dont fucking bitch about? If not, please take a gun to your head and do us all a favor.
This comment was edited on Aug 12, 04:08.

101. Re: Clarifications Aug 12, 2004, 04:00 Sepharo

Thank you for not being an ass [as I am probably doing ]. Luckily there are still people like you on the comments who can do things like "admitting," which I will also do if I am proven wrong when HL2 is release. You can hold me to that...

100. Re: No subject Aug 12, 2004, 03:35 Smellfinger

"Jackasses like you bitched and complained when the first games started to require online serial authentication to play multiplayer. This is just another step forward."

Sit back, eat a box of Twinkies and ask yourself one question: why are you such a shill?

99. Re: Clarifications Aug 12, 2004, 02:17 Hollowguy

Do you honestly belive what you are typing... Will see when HL2 comes out, steam is definetly part of the install. HL2 will not function without it.

Well...I did anyway. lol. Until I went through the CS:CZ cd and found a Steam Installer on it - so I was wrong.

However, I was speaking out of experience when I said at no time did the game installer mention or install Steam. It placed it in a totally seperate folder and when I started Steam it was as if CS:CZ wasn't on my computer at all. I was able to play it offline without starting or using Steam in any fashion. I imported it to Steam after I read about a few updates that were released that I could only get if I had it in Steam.

Half Life 2 could be the same way. If so, then the comment from the other guy is in fact, true. If not, them i'm wrong again and have no problem admitting it since anything stated at this point is pure speculation.

I'll wait and see.

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo