Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Counter-Strike: Source/Half-Life 2 Preloads

Gabe Newell made a couple of posts to the Half-Life 2 Fallout Forums about plans for Counter-Strike: Source and Half-Life 2 data preloads on Steam in preparation for the release of each. Regarding Counter-Strike: Source, he says this in one post: "Just got out of a review meeting. 8/11 the Cafe's turn on (tomorrow). 8/16 CZ/ATI users pre-load. 8/18 CZ/ATI turns on," and in a subsequent post: "The engine test (CS:Source plus de_dust) for cyber-cafe's started pre-loading at 6." There are also posts on the Steam Users Forums indicating that Valve has started to pre-load Counter-Strike for some end-users (thanks Stoo). The first post also has word from Gabe on plans to start preloading art and sound assets for Half-Life 2: "8/17, HL-2 pre-load starts (textures, audio and other stuff that doesn't change)."

View
138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

38. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:23 SMT

Don't think you are correctly separating FORCED verse OPTIONAL.

I guess that's a difference of opinion between us, then; I don't really care if I have to use Steam to download patches for HL2 or not. I want my game to stay updated and feature complete, and I'll expend whatever effort I feel necessary to do that. With games like Painkiller and Far Cry, I use my Fileshack Mercury subscription to download patches. With Half-Life 2 I'll use Steam. No big deal.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:19 Sepharo

As you can see by reading the posts on this board the community simply wants to say...

WE WANT OPTIONS!!!

Some people may say, "Hey steam is a cool program, it does everything for me and that's the way I like it." And good for them that's fantastic. But for others, we don't like being forced to use a bulky program similar to AOL, Real Player, Game Spy or any other all-in-one contraption. Just give me the disc let me install my game... And play.

36. Re: valve = true americans Aug 11, 2004, 14:19 maximus0402

Your an idiot that has no idea what they are talking about, so easy to blame AMERICANS for everything, people use it as a scape goat now a days. I don't know what country you come from but obviously your jealous of Valve's success. I hardly know anyone who thinks EA rocks. Most people I hear cannot stand them. Besides VALVE is a developer, can we say developer?? EA for the most part is a distributor/publisher?? You cannot compare apples to apples here. Valve is trying to play both roles of development and distribute themselves so they can keep some cash instead of feeding a big percentage to the publisher, makes since to me. You have a problem with understand this?? Besides you still have the choice to buy the retail box so why get so pissed off over this?? and if you are not buying this game at all then why comment about it???

35. More power to the developer Aug 11, 2004, 14:14 Belly Flop

Publishers are evil. They get paid way too much for their contribution to the gaming industry. Steam is an attempt for the developers to empower themselves. Good for them.
Now i don't have to get on my bike and cycle to a store that only gets my fav game weeks after it is released in the US of A. Also my games are kept up to date automatically and I dont have to search for fast ftp sites or subscribe to Fileplanet.

I have had almost no problems with steam and have been using it since it started.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 14:16.

34. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:13 Furious

Which is on the internet. Juuust checking.

Which is an optional connection. Juuuust checking.

Don't think you are correctly separating FORCED verse OPTIONAL.

33. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:11 quazz

Ha. Download, my friend... download. DOWNLOAD. You know, what the majority of the civilized world does.

But hey, if you want to set up your own Telnet-based BBS called "quazz's House of Patches," or buy or subscribe to a print magazine just for one patch on the included CD, then be my guest.
Shit man, you're my fucking hero. Really. I've just created my own fucking House of patches in your honor, it's called just about every damn gaming download website. On one of them, I can even download some shit once from any fucking comuter with an internet connection and install it on every computer I could fucking want. It's great man, really. You're not worth the time I took typing this, so fuck you and I'm going to ignore you.

Furious, I don't think you need you need authentification for offline play anymore.

32. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:10 SMT

Or use 3dgamers, that works great...

Which is on the internet. Juuust checking.

31. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:08 nin

But hey, if you want to set up your own Telnet-based BBS called "quazz's House of Patches," or buy or subscribe to a print magazine just for one patch on the included CD, then be my guest.

Or use 3dgamers, that works great...

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

30. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:06 nin

One correction saying modem users are only 4% of Steam's user base is a bit misleading. Modem users are a large user base of Valve games, but most of them have not signed up to Steam for the sole reason that they are on modems. These users who legitimatly bought valve games are not able to update their games because they realize that adding steam would hurt their experience.

And that number will grow when you force users to use Steam just to update. It may be 4% NOW, but it's going to grow once the game ships and people want updates.

Steam is evil. If it wasn't forced on us (and you could still download patches elsewhere), I wouldn't have a problem with it. But forcing it on everyone is Valve showing their true Microsoft roots (you'll update their way, or you won't get updates).

No thanks, Valve...

I will think peaceful, happy thoughts about getting my new video card RMA'd.

https://soundcloud.com/trentreznorandatticusross/sets/before-the-flood-soundtrack-1
https://dancewiththedead.bandcamp.com/

29. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:04 Furious

And you can't easily download full-length movies or TV episodes without Kazaa or Bittorrent, but nobody bitches about that.

Not comparable, it's "You will use Steam or you don't play HL2, not even SP" as to "Hey you want this movie, then use bit torrent, I could care less if you download it or not".

I don't really care about getting authenticated (-sp) for online play, thats fair to me and WoN never bothered me. But to tell me I HAVE TO have a valid Internet connection to play a Single Player game is OVER THE LINE. To have to have a valid Internet connection to play a LAN game is OVER THE LINE. I bought the game, don't fucking monitor me when I'm not online.

Guess some of you people won't mind when big brother puts camera's in your house to monitor you. Oh No!

28. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:03 SMT

You don't even try, do you? In the so called "past", you didn't have to be connected to the internet to download a patch. You could get it from magazine CD, download it from another computer [without using some special software] and use any media storage, etc...

Ha. Download, my friend... download. DOWNLOAD. You know, what the majority of the civilized world does.

27. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 14:02 MindStalkerReturned

One correction saying modem users are only 4% of Steam's user base is a bit misleading. Modem users are a large user base of Valve games, but most of them have not signed up to Steam for the sole reason that they are on modems. These users who legitimatly bought valve games are not able to update their games because they realize that adding steam would hurt their experience.

26. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 13:56 quazz

In the past, you had to connect to the internet to download a patch anyway.
You don't even try, do you? In the so called "past", you didn't have to be connected to the internet to download a patch. You could get it from magazine CD, download it from another computer [without using some special software] and use any media storage, etc...

Anything else?
Yes, try to learn to read. Hell, try thinking even.

25. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 13:47 SMT

You can't download patches without the use of steam.

And you can't easily download full-length movies or TV episodes without Kazaa or Bittorrent, but nobody bitches about that.

Fun Facts:

In the past, you had to connect to the internet to download a patch anyway. Steam requires you to be connected to the internet to download a patch, but Steam will update the game automatically if you want. Alternately, you can instruct Steam to update particular games only when you play them. Oh no!

Whereas online games had to be authenticated through WON before, now they have to be authenticated through Steam, which provides uniform anti-cheat, anti-hack protection for every game on every server, all the time. Oh no!

Due to OS architecture as much as engine architecture, Steam is subject to DDOS attacks. Due to OS architecture as much as engine architecture, WON was subject to DDOS attacks. Oh no!

56k modem users (representing a whopping 4% of Steam's user base) have difficulties and lag issues when downloading updates and connecting to multiplayer games under Steam. 56k modem users have had increasing difficulties proportional to the exponential growth in size and complexity of online content (and subsequent required bandwidth) and this will only continue as the internet develops. Oh no!

Anything else?

24. Steam = AOL for Gamers Aug 11, 2004, 13:45 Tumbler

Steam is nothing more than AOL for gamers. It makes installing patches, connecting, to games, and even buying games, all possible in one convient program.

If this POS succeeds, you realize that other companies may follow and in order to play anyones game you'll have to install their companies special program that monitors and manages all patching, modifications, and basically any time you spend in the game?

This program is tailor made to make the AOL/Console crowd able to play computer games. Most people can't troubleshoot even basic problems on a computer, so along comes steam and takes care of everything.

This is all AOL's fault. The internet was once a very nice place, now it's overrun with people who don't even understand that AOL IS NOT THE internet.

GOD I HATE AOL.

*looking around nervously* I've said too much, they're coming for me, I must go.

23. No subject Aug 11, 2004, 13:42 sauron

I got Starshatter via download from the publisher's site - it came in at 385kb/s, and they sent me the reg code by email. Worked like a charm, and for backup I just burned a copy (hell, they even sent me .pdfs of the label and DVD case insert).

Downloading and patching HL2 shouldn't be any more difficult, seems like it's just a question of scale.

Kittens!

22. Re: steam Aug 11, 2004, 13:42 Vincent Murphy

"For all the crap that Valve has thrown at them (some of it deserved) they are the only ones that are trying to address the current f**ked up system that PC games go through to get distributed."

Not really. Stardock's been doing it for a long while now, not just for games, either. Galactic Civilizations was released in an online form. And, unlike Steam, it hasn't hosed up the game it was updating.

21. Re: No subject Aug 11, 2004, 13:37 quazz

It's an MMORPG that can only played on Sony's server (for the sake of simplicity, let's not get into shard). It cannot be compared. Once I bought my copy of HL2, I shouldn't need to connect to anything from Valve other then for online MP authentification.

Even Microsoft gives me that option.

20. valve = true americans Aug 11, 2004, 13:35 smashhead

Big woopdeedoo. Who cares about CS:S or HL2. Valve can kiss my a$$. Its all BS folks.

Not only are they trying to change the ownership model for YOUR software YOU bought, but, they also hired a legal team, like the true americans they are, so they can sue all YOUR great local game centers who can't afford the $2000-4000 a year of additional expenses. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them!!!

This is so they can enforce thier game center program on everyone, including the people who probably cant afford a new pc for HL2 and can only go to a game center to play it. Guess what, they are going to loose this lawsuit. No game company in existance has won a lawsuit to extract additional lisensing fees out of companies that leasing/rent game software to users (ie blockbuster).

My local game center makes 90-95% of thier revenues from 1942 and BFV. NO ONE plays steam games! No one cares. EA games are soo much better. Invest in EA, dump money into them, they are a great company.

On top of that, Valve is now the video game gestapo. Whats next, are the non-steam users supposed to wear little stars of david.

check it out....

5. SITE INSPECTION.
During the Term, you agree to permit Valve and/or its authorized agents to reasonably inspect the Site(s) and the computer stations located at the Site(s) for the purpose of verifying that your use of Steam and the Subscription Content is in compliance with this Agreement. Any Site inspection under this section will be conducted during regular business hours at the Site(s). You agree to provide Valve’s designated Site inspection team prompt and reasonable access to the Site(s) and all computers located at the Site(s).

19. No subject Aug 11, 2004, 13:22 Acleacius

Is Steam really so different from say the way, Everquest updates work?
Dont they auto update constanly and offer addons via the internet?

Edit
Hump actually coping disk is very common on Consoles and since more people can afford them, its actully more common on consoles I would guess

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 13:26.

“It’s a sad day for America when people believe women,” The Drumpf

138 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo