DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod

A quickie Duct Tape modification for DOOM 3 is now available. The mod addresses the absence of this essential tool and provides the ability to attach your flashlight to your machine gun.
View : : :
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: How's the physics???
Aug 6, 2004, 19:27
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 19:27
Aug 6, 2004, 19:27

As already noted, physics are just generic and, at moest, "average." The worst thing you will notice is the grenade; it bounces around like it has the weight and density of a small rubber ball.

Otherwise, you get fairly common problems: you can knock over a drum of oil/liquid/whatever without a problem, shooting a rocket directly into an enemy just makes it drop to the ground in death, you can topple moveable storage cabinets by just touching them, explosions have little to no impact, glass only breaks when convenient fro gameplay, etc.

It really just has the basic things: if there is a hanging body, you can hit it to make it sway a bit; sometimes enemies will fly up in the air on the death blow from a grenade, there are some small (no bigger than 12" cubed) boxes that you can move around by walking into them.

In all reality, you just will not notice that much. You character's body is not recognized very well (I can walk all over a soda can on a table and not budge it) and there is not much for you to physically ineract with in the levels. The game definitely has below Havoc-level physics (or just poorly implemented physics,) but you would never really notice a Havoc-based physics system due to the levels being so bare.

Noting you can work up a good bunny hop until you stamina goes out,
Ray

-----
Enahs is a DEMON supporter! Are you?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Holy crap
Aug 6, 2004, 18:30
Holy crap Aug 6, 2004, 18:30
Aug 6, 2004, 18:30

If your game has been suffering from stuttering when you go around corners, enter new sections, etc (the so called texture trashing), when your computer goes to 1 frame per 18 seconds, and your harddrive sounds like it might explode, try this :

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1440520

It works like a fucking charm. Downside is that your install footprint swells to ~4 Gig, but hey, it's become a MUCH smoother playing experience. My processor has enough to do without having to unpack all that crap while in game.

Creston

Edit : Note, after doing this, for some reason a few modifications you may have made to your DoomConfig.cfg file seem to be undone. My seta r_displayRefresh "85" had somehow been removed. So make sure to check that.

Also, another thing you could do to maybe increase your framerate a little if you are playing on High Detail, is to modify the line

seta image_anisotropy "8"

I currently have it at "4". It SEEMS to be a tad faster this way, but not really sure. I can't see any difference in the IQ, but then I've never been able to tell the difference between AFx4 and x8.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 18:34.

Re: Sooo Realistic
Aug 6, 2004, 18:27
Re: Sooo Realistic Aug 6, 2004, 18:27
Aug 6, 2004, 18:27

if you get killed because you cannot switch between a flashlight and a weapon fast enough, try playing difficulty 0 because you obviously have the reflexes of something thats been dead for 350years.

Aug 6, 2004, 18:08
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 18:08
Aug 6, 2004, 18:08

Yeah I have heard about this, apparently objects do not move even close to correctly, I have read that ID is up for the, Deus Ex Invisable War Stupid Physics Award for the grenade physics.
Its said you cant really throw one ahead in hallway, as it bounces around 4 or 5 times then comes right back at you, lol.

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Re: flashlight idea
Aug 6, 2004, 17:48
Re: flashlight idea Aug 6, 2004, 17:48
Aug 6, 2004, 17:48

"Instead of making people choose between the flashlight or a gun as a way of adding tension what if id had made the flashlight crappy/unreliable? "

Hey, I agree with you. However, all the people that complained that not being able to tape a flashlight to a gun was "unrealistic", would now probably complain that there's no way a flashlight in the future would be unreliable.

I like your idea, but I don't think it's gonna satisfy the group that wants the beam on all the time.

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

flashlight idea
Aug 6, 2004, 17:24
flashlight idea Aug 6, 2004, 17:24
Aug 6, 2004, 17:24

Instead of making people choose between the flashlight or a gun as a way of adding tension what if id had made the flashlight crappy/unreliable? Say you lose your real flashlight during the intro and grab some old piece of junk you find lying around the base at the start. You can use it simultaneously with a weapon but it casts a poor beam, flickers, and occassionally goes dead until you give it a whack to get it working again.

I think that would be pretty friggin' tense, stalking along with an unreliable flashlight, hitting the "whack flashlight" button every now and then to get it shining again.

-Will

Re: Darkness
Aug 6, 2004, 17:23
Re: Darkness Aug 6, 2004, 17:23
Aug 6, 2004, 17:23

"not only would it be unscary, but the framerates would drop to zero"

Just because a pixel's color becomes black doesn't mean that it no longer exists and is therefore not rendered. That's like saying black really isn't a color.

I had joked in another thread here that our framerates should skyrocket if that were the case... because with the lighting it seemed like I was only actually seeing 100 (albeit gorgeous) polygons at any one time.

Aug 6, 2004, 17:10
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 17:10
Aug 6, 2004, 17:10

not only would it be unscary, but the framerates would drop to zero, the game/textures are pretty, imagine with the lights on that the engine would seem so-so trying to render all the textures at once...id gets to cheat in that respect by allowing just a fraction to be rendered when the flashlight is on.
Everything is rendered even if you can't see them. You're standing in a 7m x 7m room with two monsters at best, it's not like there's much to render.

I've just seen the title of my post is "Re: How's the physics???". Didn't see that post, but I'll answer anyway. They suck.
Physics in DOOM3 are cheap ragdoll (think 3-4 years old effect) and you can push stuff around (again, think 3 years old effects). They're also off in MP.

Aug 6, 2004, 17:06
Re: Darkness Aug 6, 2004, 17:06
Aug 6, 2004, 17:06

Sure, it requires a lot of horsepower to run it...but saying that they went with the flashlight thing to save frames is stretching it a bit.
Apart from anything else, it would place quite a large constraint on any future games that licence the engine.
Plus, (I'm guessing here) but the textures are probably still calculated even if they're not actually lit - on the off-chance they will be lit when you shine your light there.

Aug 6, 2004, 16:54
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 16:54
Aug 6, 2004, 16:54

I'd have to say its similar, but leans to the side of 'not as good'. For everything that I was able to shoot, push, etc...it seemed, well, 'good enough'. I definitely wouldn't say their proprietary physics engine is as good as Havok's dedicated engine. It gets the job done, however.

How's the physics???
Aug 6, 2004, 16:49
How's the physics??? Aug 6, 2004, 16:49
Aug 6, 2004, 16:49

I've yet to play the game but would like to know how Id's physics engine stacks up against Havoc's??? Not as good? Similar? Better?

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 16:50.

Aug 6, 2004, 16:23
Re: Darkness Aug 6, 2004, 16:23
Aug 6, 2004, 16:23

"not only would it be unscary, but the framerates would drop to zero,"

Gotta disagree here. I haven't even finished the game, but I've seen PLENTY of rooms that did not require the flashlight to see, and the framerate didn't drop at all.

I think it's pretty obvious the flashlight mechanic was done solely for theme, not for lack of rendering power. Come on...at the expense of sounding like an iD fanboy...does anyone seriously think that the D3 engine is a piece of crap? Sure, it requires a lot of horsepower to run it...but saying that they went with the flashlight thing to save frames is stretching it a bit.

Re: Space Captain....
Aug 6, 2004, 16:19
Re: Space Captain.... Aug 6, 2004, 16:19
Aug 6, 2004, 16:19

Best thing about Halo was ya only got 2 weapons and grenades, and ya had to pick and choose which was best for what situation.

Now that is a mod I'd like to see for Doom3 once I get it.

Well, that was certainly realistic, I'll admit that. I'll also admit that if I wanted something realistic I wouldn't be playing a game where I'm a space marine on Mars fighting demons from hell....

The truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Space Captain....
Aug 6, 2004, 16:06
Space Captain.... Aug 6, 2004, 16:06
Aug 6, 2004, 16:06

There use to be a quake comic done with ingame screenshots with captions and one was of a Marine from Quake 2. In front of him was 1 packback and 1 of each weapon, powerup and ammo type, and the caption was...

"All of that in there!?!"

I mean if ya wanna be really anal lets talk about carrying all these weapons and ammo etc, then lets talk about all the running and jumping ya do as well.

Best thing about Halo was ya only got 2 weapons and grenades, and ya had to pick and choose which was best for what situation.

Now that is a mod I'd like to see for Doom3 once I get it.

Aug 6, 2004, 16:02
Re: Darkness Aug 6, 2004, 16:02
Aug 6, 2004, 16:02

"if it was bloody daylight out"

not only would it be unscary, but the framerates would drop to zero, the game/textures are pretty, imagine with the lights on that the engine would seem so-so trying to render all the textures at once...id gets to cheat in that respect by allowing just a fraction to be rendered when the flashlight is on.

any thoughts?

Darkness
Aug 6, 2004, 15:18
Darkness Aug 6, 2004, 15:18
Aug 6, 2004, 15:18

This game rocks, the only weapon that should have a flashlight is the shotty, and it kind of looks like there's one mounted into the end of it when you reload. Somebody should mod that and make it so that the light radius is 1/3 that of the flashlight.The game is supposed to be scary, so it's dark, would not be very scary if it was bloody daylight out now would it.

Re: No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 15:15
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:15
Aug 6, 2004, 15:15

Two words: Serious Sam. It's the ultimate girl game, because, on easy it is almost impossible to die, so even if they've never played an FPS they feel really good at it. That sounds patronising, but it was unbelievably effective for someone that hasn't played many FPSs. The funny thing was, she loaded up the technology level and couldn't understand what was so impressive about see-through tea pots in fog. When I asked her to write me a set of equations that could do the same thing, I believe it was then that the eye rolling began.

Edit: not really sure what I edited.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 15:18.

Re: Sooo Realistic
Aug 6, 2004, 15:09
Re: Sooo Realistic Aug 6, 2004, 15:09
Aug 6, 2004, 15:09

the flashlight scheme for Doom 3 is rather gay

What does a flashlight have to do with a relationship between members of the same sex? Is that what all this same-sex marriage hoopla in Massachusetts is about? Taping flashlights to people's heads?

No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 15:01
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 15:01
Aug 6, 2004, 15:01

I like the mod.. it makes it fun to actually play a little longer but it's only on the machinegun.

------------
Love,
Mayor Dan:
The mayor of your hearts <3<3<3<3<3
"Every post you write it makes you sound more moronic than me."
ExcessDan

Re: No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 14:44
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 14:44
Aug 6, 2004, 14:44

"My woman would prefer to light my computer on fire and be done with it. She got into Myst for a short time, but that was the closest thing to getting her to play first person. She digs some of the Xbox games, but very few. Mostly the older arcade style stuff.

I just spent 3k building a new Uber Athlon 64 FX-53 machine, and her new favorite thing to do is play freaking SOLITARE on it, just to piss me off.

Last night i walk into my office and see her sitting at my desk and I say.... Can you NOT play solitare on my $3000 gaming machine, when you have a perfectly good computer of your own to play it on? She simply says "No".

Gotta love 'em."

My wife hates most video games, but loves to use my computer to type her letters to parents for her Kindergarten class or log on to AOL for her e-mail. Like you, she's got a perfectly good computer to do it on (my old PIII 800 machine).

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older