DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod

A quickie Duct Tape modification for DOOM 3 is now available. The mod addresses the absence of this essential tool and provides the ability to attach your flashlight to your machine gun.
View : : :
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: This is only an engine
Aug 7, 2004, 21:47
Re: This is only an engine Aug 7, 2004, 21:47
Aug 7, 2004, 21:47

So Quake multiplayer was mediocre?

Not at all, but the idea was there from Doom, the engine made it better.

Quake 2 was a beautiful engine, and again a mediocre yet solid single player game, yet again immensely fun multiplayer.

The multiplayer was not an original idea...

Quake 3 was one of the first games to feature solid bots, giving you a rudimentary yet satisfying co-op experience. Wasn't better than UT, but it was still worth owning when my roommates and I wanted to play a low-ping game on the same team.

Weren't bots developed by the mod community for the original Quake? And you admit id's effort was less than UT, hardly revolutionary then?

And Doom 3... mediocre? No. And you'll just pass this off as the engine, but it's more - the lighting. Can you say revolutionary? No game has had lighting like this before, it's always been faked. We finally have true dynamic lighting, such an enormous leap forward.

The lighting is a feature of the engine...

I think id gets knocked heavily when they shouldn't. They are the technology kings, and all their games have been worth owning (with Quake 3 being the worst of the bunch).

Lest we forget id is the first to really SPAWN a mod community, which has been a major part of their plans since Quake. I don't see how you can complain about a company making their game very easy to change. You think that wasn't intentional?

I never complained about the easiness of modding id games, I was stating my displeasure at the fact they seem to be relying on the mod community to come up with original ideas (bots, CTF, Team Fortress) to make use of their new technology.

So what was your point again?

No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 18:53
No subject Aug 7, 2004, 18:53
Aug 7, 2004, 18:53

"I don't see why the System Shock 2 junkies are constantly gibbering here."

Well for one thing it suggest there is a crossover audience
Not to mention that Doom 3 is lifting/borrowing a few concepts from SS2, just not doing a very good job on implementing them, given there budget and engine.

Its a exellent engine for doing small rooms and halls, but the problem is thats all it can do.
Most games have evolved beyond staying in small corrdors and rooms.
ID enginge games stick out like a sore thumb cause they cant do large levels, which severly limits game development.

Its seems painfully obvious that given the size of the levels balanced with the state of the netcode this engine shouldnt even have been released yet.
Any engine developer could release a engine so detailed it couldnt run on current tech.

So the question seems more of why are they releasing an engine thats not really finshed?

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 18:55.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Re: No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 16:19
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 16:19
Aug 7, 2004, 16:19

Honestly, I think Doom had more polished gameplay than Doom 3. Doom was over the top, but it recognized this and accepted this - you are going to get jacked up when you walk into this Doom room, but here is a new gun, some health, an obstacle or two to hide behind, and, if you know what you are doing, you can make it through this area without getting hurt.

Meanwhile, Doom 3 just says "screw it." The levels are so small that there is not going to be much in the way of dynamic gameplay, the monster will teleport *right* in front of or behind you, and many times you are just forced to take a hit. That last part is the worst - id set you up to take the hit and, to make up for this, there is armor and health everywhere. I lost track of how many times an unavoidable enemy (tentacle dude, chaingun zombie, apparently waiting-in-crouch-forever imp) would get a free hit as I opened a door, times when an enemy would teleport directly on top of me (literally shoving your character aside in the world,) some monster was hanging out behind some bizarre retractable section of the wall, or an imp somehow nailed me with a lunge, even though it clearly flew past me.

Thinking the weapons were quite weak as well,
Ray

-----
In the game of the year polls please remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Only 1 model bleeds in MP?
Aug 7, 2004, 16:02
Only 1 model bleeds in MP? Aug 7, 2004, 16:02
Aug 7, 2004, 16:02

Ok...off topic here...but anyone notice that the default model in MP is the only one that bleeds? We tested it out today with 3 pcs on LAN. The blue, red, yellow, etc models do not bleed when shot. Only the default (brown I think) model bleeds. Anyone else experiencing this?

(Yes, we are running with legal bought versions of the game without any cracks or patches whatsoever)

Spread the O&A Virus on XM Radio Channel 202
http://www.opieandanthony.com
http://www.xmradio.com

ARggghh
Aug 7, 2004, 13:41
ARggghh Aug 7, 2004, 13:41
Aug 7, 2004, 13:41

Just beat the game on Vet and I must say it was one fun dungeon crawl Anyone here played the Alpha? I think ALOT of the sounds effects of the demons and zombies were more menacing and blood curdling than what id replaced them with for the final product. The tentacle zombie was one scary mofo in the alpha, mainly due to his taunts and cries,"I HATE YOU!" or when he recieved orders from some unknown demon through his radio.

The pinky demon also sounded much scarier with his metallic/hydraulic striding as he chased you down.

I was just somewhat disapointed in the choices id made for the enemies soundwise. I remember in the good ole days (Doom 2), hiding in a corner preparing to battle a cyberdemon as he got closer, pounding hooves and growling. No more hoof pounding in Doom III. I guess its mostly footsteps that could've been done much better. Theres no surface-specific sounds at all...you sound just the same walking on hard metal as you do walking on demonic flesh. Certain sounds are just alittle bit weak and detract from the intensity of it all. That and the A.I. Minor gripes in what was overall, a true nostalgic successor to Doom 2.

Spoiler : All the id fanbois will get a kick out of the Easter egg on the last level before the final showdown

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 13:48.

Aug 7, 2004, 13:01
Re: This is only an engine Aug 7, 2004, 13:01
Aug 7, 2004, 13:01

So Quake multiplayer was mediocre?

Sure, single player was, but I think Quakeworld deserves to be called more than mediocre. Especially when the choice was between 16 player Quakeworld online or 2 player DN3D over a direct modem connection.

Quake 2 was a beautiful engine, and again a mediocre yet solid single player game, yet again immensely fun multiplayer.

Quake 3 was one of the first games to feature solid bots, giving you a rudimentary yet satisfying co-op experience. Wasn't better than UT, but it was still worth owning when my roommates and I wanted to play a low-ping game on the same team.

And Doom 3... mediocre? No. And you'll just pass this off as the engine, but it's more - the lighting. Can you say revolutionary? No game has had lighting like this before, it's always been faked. We finally have true dynamic lighting, such an enormous leap forward.

I think id gets knocked heavily when they shouldn't. They are the technology kings, and all their games have been worth owning (with Quake 3 being the worst of the bunch).

Lest we forget id is the first to really SPAWN a mod community, which has been a major part of their plans since Quake. I don't see how you can complain about a company making their game very easy to change. You think that wasn't intentional?

Aug 7, 2004, 11:59
Re: This is only an engine Aug 7, 2004, 11:59
Aug 7, 2004, 11:59

Let's face it, id had one great and revolutionary game and since then all they've done is make a new engine, showcase it in a mediocre game, and let the mod community do all the original stuff. Oh, and of course licence that engine out for ungodly sums of dough. Does anyone really think that they can pay all their expenses for the last 4 years (or however long this thing has been in development) on the retail sales?

Amen to that brother
AMD 2500 Mobile 210FSB 2000mhz
ATI 9500 Pro
1GB PC3200

Aug 7, 2004, 11:57
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 11:57
Aug 7, 2004, 11:57

I don't see why the System Shock 2 junkies are constantly gibbering here.

It was a great game, no one is denying it. So is Doom. Why constantly come back to SS2? Just enjoy your new toy, don't keep tossing everyone elses down the stairs because you like your old one better.

I didn't think SS2 was as scary or cinematic. Part of that was that the ammo tended to be so low I'd get pissed off. I remember running around surrounded by those robots in crates without the ammo to do anything about them. That's not scary, that's annoying.

Conserving ammo is one thing, having absolutely none is another.

Doom 3 great however...
Aug 7, 2004, 11:55
Doom 3 great however... Aug 7, 2004, 11:55
Aug 7, 2004, 11:55

I like Doom3. Beautiful game and fun to play. With that said, with everything I've seen from Half-life 2, I think HL2 is going to make Doom3 look a little small.

Don't get me wrong. These games are completely different genres when it comes to the gameplay, but I think HL2 is going to have so much of a rich story and some thrilling sequences that Doom3 is going to be remembered as a great engine and a good game but that's it. Oh and what's up with the AI in Doom3? We are talking 1991 intelligence? As good as Doom3 is I'm still let down. I mean 4 years in the making? The engine is really pretty...but 4 years?

Flame away
AMD 2500 Mobile 210FSB 2000mhz
ATI 9500 Pro
1GB PC3200

No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 11:30
No subject Aug 7, 2004, 11:30
Aug 7, 2004, 11:30

it's decidedly DOOM

Yes, agreed but it was Doom 10 years ago, its like going to movie to see a scary show and they throw a cat out around every corner.

Well in System Shock 2 it was actually very well acted, mostly thru emails, where as in Doom while it had great cutscenes acting/story, then cut to the game it was utter crap.
Anyone else notice that there was ONE person doing all the emails(even the female, im 90% sure). The only emails actually done by someone different was someone whom had an acting part in cutscenes, ie like the Counsler.

My appoligies but the idea that a multimillion dollar company uses ONE guy to FAKE all the emails, is suppose to be acceptable high quality charater/story development is just pathetic.

Spoilers

Doom's story falls apart at the slighest look.
Even if you try to get in to the story nothing fits, it just another excuss to show case ID technology, like all thier previous games.
Why do Demons need ships to get to Earth?
I mean these are suppose to be REAL demons.
If he could send the message in the first place, why order us to do it? (I didnt send the message)

Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Aug 7, 2004, 11:20
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 11:20
Aug 7, 2004, 11:20

Monster living in the wall, waitig for you to walk up to a desk to trigger the wall to disappear is childishly amateur

No, it's decidedly DOOM. Doom was, afaik, the first game to incorporate that type of gimmick. Ofcourse, in the original Doom, it would open a wall on the other side of the level and four cyberdemons would come strolling out.
In Doom 3, if they did it on the other side of the level, odds are you'd never see that monster again, since you'll rarely backtrack that far.

However, the door opening right in front of you is a bit pedantic, but I can live with it. I find the "undodgeable lunge" of the imp to be FAR more cheap than that.

As for the spawning of monsters in Doom 3, I think they've explained that alright, I mean, it's a summoning, so I can live with that. It'd just be nice if it didn't ALWAYS happen right behind you.

Creston

No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 10:56
No subject Aug 7, 2004, 10:56
Aug 7, 2004, 10:56

Well there is a plausible explantion for the spawning in System Shock 2, another example of plausible is Half-Life.

Monster living in the wall, waitig for you to walk up to a desk to trigger the wall to disappear is childishly amateur

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 10:57.

Re: Scare Factor
Aug 7, 2004, 10:44
Re: Scare Factor Aug 7, 2004, 10:44
Aug 7, 2004, 10:44

I played through system shock 2 as well, and as far as scaryness goes, IMO they're on the same level. System Shock has a setting of terror that I found to be even better than doom3 (the Many are really your worst nightmare), but the lighting of doom3 is so terrifying that I'd be amazed if system shock 2 would scare me as much as it did back then. I mean, that game should be a sunny day in the park now.

Furthermore, what's with all the complaining about the spawning enemies? That happened to me in System Shock 2 all the time! I just knew that after I'd cleared a room, some bugger would start running at me from just that direction. After some time it got predictable, you just knew when to expect someone.

Re: How's the physics???
Aug 7, 2004, 09:38
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 7, 2004, 09:38
Aug 7, 2004, 09:38

I wonder how difficult it would be to create mods for Doom 3. Considering the massive size of the textures any total conversion of Doom 3 might run over 1 gig to download?

Aug 7, 2004, 08:05
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 7, 2004, 08:05
Aug 7, 2004, 08:05

everyone i know uses the blue winXP theme, i make mine look like osx, DOOMguy's just clearly l33ter than everyone else ;-)

Re: Scare Factor
Aug 7, 2004, 06:04
Re: Scare Factor Aug 7, 2004, 06:04
Aug 7, 2004, 06:04

Aye. I thought Undying was very creepy and/or terrifying, but still not overly "scary." After playing both System Shock games, everything else just seems a bit tamer.

For anybody else, I could see where Doom 3 would be a really scary game. For the last half of the game, it almost got to that level with me, but never quite made it.

Also, it is really the gameplay. Doom 3 is all about the cheap, immediate shot (enemies hanging out behind retractable walls, enemies that teleport right in front of or behind you, etc.) and every room was essentially going to be the same exact thing. Those other game had a much wider range of gameplay. For something to truly be scary, it needs to have a good combination of the cheap/instant shots, periods of no harm coming to the player, atmosphere, great sound, and relatively dynamic gameplay.

Having beaten the game; going to post more in today's update,
Ray

-----
In the game of the year polls please remember Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Scare Factor
Aug 7, 2004, 05:13
Scare Factor Aug 7, 2004, 05:13
Aug 7, 2004, 05:13

The last game that terrified me to the point of not being able to play at night was Clive Barker's Undying.... DOOM 3 is scary...but not as much.

It's enough to make me slightly jump, skin crawl, goose bumps, increase heart-rate...but not stop playing to turn on the lights sort of freaky.

Frightening situations...the hell cherub things...fighting a monster, backing up into another...and other things.

The point is, those of us who played Undying (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-03-09&res=l) or System Shock have been tempered...we've already played an incredibly terrifying game. DOOM 3 could be that for us...but our game terror virginity has been stripped.

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
Decade of Death (A tribute to FPSs)
http://files.filefront.com/3197804;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
http://files.filefront.com/3325050;/pub2/Doom/Media/Videos%20and%20Trailers/
-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

Aug 7, 2004, 02:49
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 7, 2004, 02:49
Aug 7, 2004, 02:49

Random thought, why is the screen of every PDA you pick up red while yours is so obviously blue?

(and don't give me that "you have a different model" crap, doesn't make any sense)

So polished, yet so far from perfect.

Alright, they did it because red is more easily noticed then blue. But they could've bother to include a red-to-blue effect when you raise your PDA. bleh

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 02:53.

Aug 7, 2004, 02:35
Re: How's the physics??? Aug 7, 2004, 02:35
Aug 7, 2004, 02:35

Having magical doors in the wall open and something coming out of it only goes so far.
This has happened 2 or 3 times as well.

Two or three times, 2 or 3 times. It's the way half the monster spawn for the first half of the game, it's litteraly 2 or 3 hundred times.

Uhhm no. He said "something coming out and only goes so far"...meaning whatever it was didn't get through the door at you and retreated. There has only been a few instances of this. Can't refer to specific events since I don't like leaving spoilers, especially in a game that relies on the element of surprise.

(pedant mode on)

You seem to have misread. He said: "Having magical doors in the wall open and something coming out of it only goes so far." As in, the idea works for awhile, then it gets old. "Having things come out of magically opening doors" would've probably been a better phrasing, but I think it was clear enough.

(pedant mode off)

~Steve

Aug 7, 2004, 02:29
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 02:29
Aug 7, 2004, 02:29

They probably care for the same reason why they care that people turn on god mode and rush through the game -- because then they come into the forums and complain about how easy, short, and boring the game is.

OMG, there is actually another logical person on Blues News...Im shocked.

178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older