DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod

A quickie Duct Tape modification for DOOM 3 is now available. The mod addresses the absence of this essential tool and provides the ability to attach your flashlight to your machine gun.
View : : :
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: Also defending DOOM 3
Aug 11, 2004, 12:55
Re: Also defending DOOM 3 Aug 11, 2004, 12:55
Aug 11, 2004, 12:55

Remember, if had not been for i.d. sofware and Carmack, you would not have FPS games.

Ok...Id made the first FPS game, I will definately agree to that. But to say that FPS would not exist if Id had not developed them is pretty short-sighted. If Id had not come up with the FPS then someone else would have. There are too many talented game developers out there to think otherwise. Besides, what have you done for us lately Id? I think the gaming community would be better if they just made game engines. They could crank them out at a faster pace and be more in tune with available hardware (and maybe they wouldnt have to charge $55 for the damn thing). What it really comes down to is the fact that other companies always end up making the better game with Id technology. Whatever...bring on the flames.

Aug 11, 2004, 06:20
Re: Also defending DOOM 3 Aug 11, 2004, 06:20
Aug 11, 2004, 06:20

Whats going on here? Did Steam crash again?

Roger, Bravo Delta, this is Sitting Duck. I have Bogie Queen in my sights, and I'm, uh, going to shoot bullets at it now.
- Unknown Soldier
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Aug 11, 2004, 04:25
Re: Also defending DOOM 3 Aug 11, 2004, 04:25
Aug 11, 2004, 04:25

I totally agree! There are better games out there, but Doom 3 is well put together. The audio is fantastic, the graphics are excellent. The gameplay is simple and straight foward like the original 3 games and for some reason people have beef with this. The game is scary as hell! Not since Clive Barker's Undying, or System Shock 2 have I seen a game this creepy. Like the man said, it's all about nostalgia, so Carmack spent the time on the engine, graphics and audio and making sure it can run on almost any system. Doom is Doom, point and shoot and kill, kill, kill, nothing fancy. This is not Thief: Deadly Shadows, FarCry or a Tom Clancy game people! It is nevertheless an excellent game and it comes at a time when we need a good FPS, even if it lacks in a few small ways. Remember, if had not been for i.d. sofware and Carmack, you would not have FPS games. It's a welcome return of an old standard. Give the game a chance, it does get better as you progress. Wait till you see the graphics!

Re: In reply to the monster AI
Aug 10, 2004, 11:33
Re: In reply to the monster AI Aug 10, 2004, 11:33
Aug 10, 2004, 11:33

I would definately agree, in particular, with the imps - in part because they are soooo numerous in the game. I find the hell soldiers much more interesting as they'll change up their tactic from time to time.

In reply to the monster AI
Aug 10, 2004, 11:28
In reply to the monster AI Aug 10, 2004, 11:28
Aug 10, 2004, 11:28

I agree with you 100%, most ARE mindless demons and as such they should be pretty stupid, intelligent wise. I just think every monster is way too predictable and not as aggressive as they should be. It took me about a minute to learn each new mobs style of attack and I could stand a safe 3 feet away from them with a pistol and have no trouble dodging any attacks, even on Nightmare.

I love the game, as a sequel to Doom and all. I just wish the mobs had more modes of attack or getting around. Impies crawling on the walls and ceilings, which was cool to see the first time, but kinda disapointing when you realize the only times they do it is when its scripted. Just alittle more time spent with the AI,variety of attacks, or even different animations for the same attack to keep things fresh and new.

Edit: The only mob that presented a REAL danger IMO were those stinkin damn cherubs! Oh yeah, try doing a "noclip" on the last level. You can fly through the wall boundries to a seperate area and get a good look at that Dr.Betruger in his demon form. Here's hoping you can fight him at the end of beating it on Nightmare
This comment was edited on Aug 10, 11:34.

Also defending DOOM 3
Aug 10, 2004, 09:41
Also defending DOOM 3 Aug 10, 2004, 09:41
Aug 10, 2004, 09:41

I want to preface this by saying I can understand how D3's gameplay isn't for everyone. I know from experience that not everyone likes dark maps, for instance - I however, do. ( I doubt anyone here ever played it, but cs_spookhouse is probably one of the darkest map for CS made - and that was all my fault ).

Also, some of the fun is pure nostalgia. Most FPS games don't even bother to knock off id correctly - but here are all the old tricks back in action and some are fun as hell.

Yes, some have also just gotten annoying. Monster closets should be banned from level design, end of story. They're silly, they don't make sense, and they make me remember that it's a game, not an experience.

But man, some of these comments just sound wacky to me. Somewhere between the Half-Life fanboys and the people who apparently expected Carmack to deliver god-on-a-stick, gamer opinions often just seem to me.

Dynamic Gameplay? Meh, it's -how- you play it I think. Did you try not just using the stand-and-deliver approach? Maybe toss a grenade into a room, stir things up, lead them back to those flammable tanks?

Could it be more dynamic? Sure. A better inventory would help - trip mines, prox grenades, etc. I'll agree it's core is still just run and gun but there is more to it around the edges if you let it.

Anyone complaining about this lighting system needs to get their head checked. Jesus, some people are never happy. And the physics? OK, so the grenades are thrown too hard. Guess what. THAT'S NOT THE PHYSICS ENGINE. It's just the way they coded the grenade. Go find your nearest modder, I'm sure he can fix that for you.

Monster AI? No, it's not as clever as Far Cry - nor do I think it needs to be. Maybe the reason the Mancubus doesn't run for cover is that it doesn't think it has to.

As for the spook wearing off in a couple hours of play - I keep hearing that, and I keep waiting for it to happen. I haven't finished the game yet, but it's still spooking me pretty well from time to time. I think the problem is that some design aspects (darkness, etc) annoy some people, and once annoyed it's hard to fall into suspension of disbelief and be scared. But when that body that knew was -there- is now hanging from ceiling, I'm sure pausing for a second.

Scaring people in games is HARD. Scaring people in movies is pretty hard. My GF is notorious for sitting through hair-raising flicks and not blinking (meanwhile I'm jumping out of my seat). Some people just don't bother to turn their heads off a bit and enjoy the ride. Only a handful of games (System Shock 2, AvP come to mind) have really managed to scare me, and just adding Doom 3 to that list is worth the price of admission.

And speaking of SS2 - yes, that game was deeper. Yes, that game was scarier. A shame it also had some horrible gameplay decisions that more or less ruined the game for me. Who puts infinite monsters with finite ammo in a game that expects to explore levels repeatedly? A game that expects you to cheat, and cheat hard, that's what.

Doom 3 offers up one of the most intense, graphically pleasing, vibrant in terms of both actions and environment, gaming experiences I've had in a long time. It's precisely what Carmack said they would do - a revamp of a gaming classic with all sorts of modern splendor tossed on top of it. I feel like I'm playing an old favorite while at the same time enjoying one of the most powerful game engines on the planet.

Gee, yeah. There's so much to hate there

Re: Sooo Realistic
Aug 10, 2004, 06:04
Re: Sooo Realistic Aug 10, 2004, 06:04
Aug 10, 2004, 06:04

I haven't got that far in the game yet, but the flashlight does seem to violate id's General Simplicity Rule. I was surprised there was a "use" button, to be honest. But, I'm thinking in the future, there maybe a religious sect that only compulses devotees to have to carry their light in their hands. Maybe it's a cult that worships that Greek guy who went in search of one honest man with only a lantern.

I think we should respect the marine's religious belief before we go committing heresy and taping flashlights to guns and such.

But, you know, do what you want. Like Time Magazine declaired on its cover in the 1960's "Diogenes is Dead."

And he really is y'know. For a long time too. And his lantern ran out of fuel a long time ago too.

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 06:07.

Retard
Aug 9, 2004, 20:54
Retard Aug 9, 2004, 20:54
Aug 9, 2004, 20:54

So you're implying the reason why Doom III's AI is piss poor , is because my computer isn't up to snuff? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

King of fluid and smooth animation : Zelda,WindWaker

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 20:56.

Re: Defending Doom 3
Aug 9, 2004, 15:36
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 15:36
Aug 9, 2004, 15:36

very true.

Aug 9, 2004, 07:24
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 9, 2004, 07:24
Aug 9, 2004, 07:24

"...GRAMER CLASSES!"

hilarious
Computers and airconditioners have one thing in common; they both stop working when you open windows

Aug 8, 2004, 21:57
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 21:57
Aug 8, 2004, 21:57

give me a fucking break, I can't believe all of you squabling about how bad doomIII is. How about this, if you think it is so bad, DON'T PLAY IT! If you thought about it hard enough you would realize that you can't compare 2 different genres and be hyper critical, I feel justified in saying that considering gabe newell the ceo of valve(one of ID's advisaries)has the same thoughts. Doom 3 runs just fine on my PC with ultra high settings, maybe its time for some people to get a side job and update thier outdated computers. As for thief3 and dues ex2, running both of those games at the highest settings doesn't even compare to Doom3's graphics, why don't you run those games and see how many objects cast a shadow (a reall shadow) if you notice almost every object in doom casts a shadow, try running DuesEx2 and Thief3 at there highest settings, they don't even compare to doom3's graphics. They both use an updated unreal 2 engine. Has any one played unreal 2? would anyone care to comment on how advanced the per pixel shading, shadow buffering, and vertex shaders are? dues ex2 and thief 3 have third party (ion storm) shading technology, and if you notice, its extremely buggy. If you watch Half-life 2 videos you never see really nice detailed lighting and shading, of course the games not out yet. I dont know about any of you but I have never seen better charactor animation in a game, if any of you have, please inform me as to which games have better animation because I would love to see them. AI wasnt the best but I have seen worse in almost every game I have played. Far Cry's AI is good but thats because each enemy is told, via editor, where to hide how agressive to be how far away he can see you etc. tell me something, how often do bots hide or take cover or do anything besides jump around run and shoot in UT2004. "wow, if you put it that way the AI doesnt seem more advanced than even...Quake1"(oh by the way AI is controlled by your CPU Hint, Hint, hint.)The funniest thing about those comments are that I play all of the games of which I speak, and I realize each one has its pros and cons, and every game is unique in its own way, which is why they can all be played. Why are you bitching and moaning its a god damn game. You all sound like a bunch of whiny, ignorant, close minded douche bags, as if you were really hurt by what doom 3 did to you. Well that's alright, for the rest of us with a life, we will be able to go on after doom 3 to see another day, if we liked it well than we stay up everynight with the sound up and the lights off, and those of us who don't will first of all, not buy the game, and second of all wait till the game you want is out -period-

oh, one more thing, TAKE SOME FUCKING ENGLISH AND GRAMER CLASSES!

Aug 8, 2004, 13:25
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 13:25
Aug 8, 2004, 13:25

"Hopefully HalfLife2 will rebuke the monster-closet ideal and showcase more than 2 lines of AI code. 1- rotate toward player 2- attack"

funny that, coz i'm sure some of the enemies i've played have a) taken cover behind boxes and other obstacles when fired at b) have moved out of the way of my gun. But then you've probably not played the game yet, have you? too scary for ya? ;D

" The last 2 games made with [the Quake 3 engine,] Voyager 2 and cant remember the other but they looked way out dated compared to other engines at the time. "

considering there are still games coming out and currently in production that are using the q3 engine it's kind of surprising you'd say that if you knew what you were talking about, the engine's been modded and modded until it can handle an amazing amount of detail, ai, graphical effects, and hold it's own with all but the best engines (d3, source, ut2k4).

just look at the likes of cod2, and brothers in arms. when the engine go source you'll see per pixel lighting and effects added to it too, such as was added to the quake1 engine.
This comment was edited on Aug 8, 13:29.

Aug 8, 2004, 10:53
cia
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 10:53
Aug 8, 2004, 10:53
cia

I also have to agree with the consensus that Theif3/DeusEx lighting looks much more interesting. There are a very limited set of lights in doom3 that are really active, the rest rely on standard lightmaps.

Theif 3 looks much better because the levels are much more interesting and visually stimulating and the realtime lighting compliments it nicely.

Doom3 tries to utilize cheap thrills as its tension-builder, but this only works successfully a handful of times. 8-10 hours of cheap thrills makes this tech demo ring hollow.

Aug 8, 2004, 10:48
cia
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 10:48
Aug 8, 2004, 10:48
cia

Most of those statements are dean on! The tiny levels, the lacking AI, the obvious and cheap monster-closet technique.

This tired tech-demo needs a new developer.

Hopefully HalfLife2 will rebuke the monster-closet ideal and showcase more than 2 lines of AI code. 1- rotate toward player 2- attack

Aug 8, 2004, 06:33
Re: Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 06:33
Aug 8, 2004, 06:33

Don't bother, toad. This acleacius guy is seriously trolling, hoping that someone will bite. Here are some idiot statements that will convince you of that, and actually they're pretty funny.

"Its really starting to look like its the same, Doom hatchet/boys that post [...] Begining to wonder if they are actaully paid to make stupid statments or if they are just little kids whom found out they had a dick and think the rest of us, give a shit or something. "

"This just cracks me up, that a game was made where player cant hold a flashlight and a pistol/weapon at the same time."

"Yeah I have heard about this, apparently objects do not move even close to correctly, I have read that ID is up for the, Deus Ex Invisable War Stupid Physics Award for the grenade physics."

"Monster living in the wall, waitig for you to walk up to a desk to trigger the wall to disappear is childishly amateur "

"ID enginge games stick out like a sore thumb cause they cant do large levels, which severly limits game development."

"Its seems painfully obvious that given the size of the levels balanced with the state of the netcode this engine shouldnt even have been released yet."

"Any engine developer could release a engine so detailed it couldnt run on current tech. "

" Yet they release an engine that cant be fully used for at least a year. "

"Maybe they consider it a gamble, after the Q3 engine problems it was almost obsolete after 2 years."

" The last 2 games made with [the Quake 3 engine,] Voyager 2 and cant remember the other but they looked way out dated compared to other engines at the time. "

Hehe, it's apparent that he hasn't even played doom3 (I have heard! :P), but that doesn't matter. I'm sure he cannot mean all of this, that would be an insult to his own intelligence.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 06:39.

Defending Doom 3
Aug 8, 2004, 02:32
Defending Doom 3 Aug 8, 2004, 02:32
Aug 8, 2004, 02:32

This thread blows my mind. I think Doom 3 is fantastic, and I am quite pleased with it. And the engine is amazing. I have recently played through Far Cry, Painkiller, and Thief 3, and I was still IMPRESSED by this engine.

As far as enemies spawning behind you and whatnot, the original Doom had all kinds of spawn traps. I believe that the Doom 3 engine can render larger levels, but it is limited by the current level of hardware.

The current Unreal engine can make larger levels, but it's lighting and physics engine is a joke compared to Doom 3. The only place the current Unreal engine has high poly counts is in the static meshes that are stuck all over the maps. And those aren't even lit in the same manner as the BSP.

And it really didn't matter what kind of game Id made. If Doom 3 had been 5 times as good as it is, there would still be plenty of people dissecting every aspect of it.

Doom 3 has small levels, and they are supposed to be small. Dark and claustrophobic was the whole point. And I think you will see the Doom 3 engine used for plenty of games.

The weapons are standard Id weapons, and are every bit as strong and functional as all of the other Id weapons have been since Quake 1. They have new models now, but they kick the same amount of ass they usually do.

Doom 3 Rocks. It is by far the best single player game Id has ever made, and I would place it in the top 5 best FPS games ever made. I honestly don't see how anyone could play through it and not enjoy it.

And why do people expect a game based on MARS in the year 2145, and centered around fighting DEMONS from HELL to have a super realistic storyline ?????

I think people are just a little bit too critical......

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

-Albert Einstein

Re: No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 23:08
Re: No subject Aug 7, 2004, 23:08
Aug 7, 2004, 23:08

While I agree that Doom3's engine is not all that impressive, I can't agree with this; "Yet they release an engine that cant be fully used for at least a year."
Look at the other major engine (Unreal), when UT2k3 came out, it needed a 256MB card to run it at full details. And by the way, DOOM3 can be ran at Ultra details assuming you have enough RAM, it's not because the game's programmed to select High detail when you have a 256MB card that the engine's unable to maintain a playable framerate (wich is subjective) at higher detail level.

As far as a slightly older post stating that Q3 had good bots. Please, it's not because just about every game as worst bots then Q3 that they can be qualified as good. They simply sucks. The first Unreal had better bots, and UT's one were ahead of them in so many way. They didn't even bother to include some in DOOM 3.

As far as I know, the current Unreal engine as more detailed level (polycount wise) and can make much bigger level. As far as directx9 tech, Source will be here soon. The only thing DOOM3's engine will be used for is other game with overly small level with your framerate cutting in half everytime you get in an outdoor level. And it's not surprising, RtCW (wich used to Q3 engine) was like that 3 years ago.

No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 22:56
No subject Aug 7, 2004, 22:56
Aug 7, 2004, 22:56

"The Doom III engine is fully capable of handling good sized outdoor areas...there are a few DECENTLY expansive areas in Doom III"

Your joking right?
Did you see the actual skies at all?
Those are puny outdoor levels.

"so-called mainsteam tech needs to catch up with the engine"

Lol, who are you IDs PR man?
Your joking once again, right?
ID knew what the state of the hardware was, due to the economy, no more 6 month cycles.
Yet they release an engine that cant be fully used for at least a year.
Maybe they consider it a gamble, after the Q3 engine problems it was almost obsolete after 2 years.
The last 2 games made with it Voyager 2 and cant remember the other but they looked way out dated compared to other engines at the time.
Problem is ID doesnt update there engine they completly rebuild it, if it took 4 years this time how long will it take next time, 6 ?
How ever pushing a game on the gaming public that needs 512 meg card to run properly (or so they say, we(at least the public) cant test to see if thats accurate, its gonna come back and bite them im guessing(not out of spite) but due to the fact the economy is so bad, will potential developers whose budgets are already shrinking be willing to take a chance on it?
Not only would the developer be taking a risk on the engine but also on the state of the economy, if it doesnt recover there wont even be 512 meg cards in a year much less 2 years.

Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

No subject
Aug 7, 2004, 22:51
No subject Aug 7, 2004, 22:51
Aug 7, 2004, 22:51

We finally have true dynamic lighting

Partly. There are still a TON of lightmaps all over the levels. In fact, I think maybe only half a dozen lights per level are truly dynamic, the rest is all just lightmaps.
For all Carmack's hype about how this was going to be the king of the lighting engines, I find Ex Deus / Thief 3's engine more impressive with regards to lighting.

Re : Sound. I never played the alpha, but I think Trent Reznor was still doing the sounds at that time, right? And then id and Reznor decided not to continue working together, so id would have had to bring in a new guy for sounds, who redid all of them?

From what you describe, the pre alpha sounds do seem more impressive, these ones do seem a bit weak (and I think the pinky demon's sound is ported straight out of Serious Sam...)

Having said that, I'm still enjoying the game, although I am starting to get a bit tired of the incessant barrage of cheap hits, as Ray said. Just wasted the Mancubus and his brothers though, that was a very chilling battle, especially since I had 2 health left after it was over, and then a few more of those stinking cherubs spawned...

I might play through it again after I've completed it, but then again I might wait until I have a new computer. Storywise I think it's still pretty good, even though there are some pretty big leaps of logic in the story, it's quite entertaining.

Creston

ARggghh
Aug 7, 2004, 22:31
ARggghh Aug 7, 2004, 22:31
Aug 7, 2004, 22:31

The Doom III engine is fully capable of handling good sized outdoor areas...there are a few DECENTLY expansive areas in Doom III here and there and I'm sure those who liscense the engine will really show what the engine is capable of doing. The so-called mainsteam tech needs to catch up with the engine. For what it does it's hugely scalable and thats saying alot.

178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older