DOOM 3 Duct Tape Mod

A quickie Duct Tape modification for DOOM 3 is now available. The mod addresses the absence of this essential tool and provides the ability to attach your flashlight to your machine gun.
View : : :
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 13:42
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:42

The lava pit wasn't all that hard once I figured out which weapons I wanted to use (m249 for the rocket guys, ~15 rnds to the face put them down).

It's just that the auto save point put me 5 minutes of running around doing essentially nothing before where the point *should* have been.

Also annoying was knowing that there were guys up in the building that you had to go to but they weren't "there" until you hit a script trigger that spawned them. Even the first time I went up there I lobbed a few grenades and since no one came out, figured there was no one there. But I hit the script trigger and 6 guys show up. Lame.

It's not like...
It's not like... Aug 6, 2004, 13:42

The Brookstone Store hasn't been selling a flashlight that the handle opens and actually becomes a headband flashlight. Even think the Sharper Image has one as well. Also not to mention the number of times Mulder wielded a pistol with a flashlight in his other hand.

No subject
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:42

I really hate ray

I need this mod, switching from a flashlight to a gun is dumb. It's the year 2501 or some crap and theres no mounted flashlights? or super see in the dark nightvision goggles? and were using a hand held flashlight??

How about like the cops do it? Flashlight and gun in each hand? The future is dumb
Im Soupkin.
I hope i dont have aids.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Serious_Soup)
s{Postal 2 sucks.

BS
Aug 6, 2004, 13:20
BS Aug 6, 2004, 13:20

No 37... This is... oh i get it. It's a joke. Nevermind... Pretty funny, actually...

BS
BS Aug 6, 2004, 13:20

No 37... This is... oh i get it. It's a joke. Nevermind... Pretty funny, actually...

Aug 6, 2004, 13:19
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:19
Aug 6, 2004, 13:19

I'm enjoying the G-Man's appearance in an id game, too.

I just wish I had his bodyguard. Co-op or some solid AI friendlies would have rocked.

Aug 6, 2004, 13:16
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:16
Aug 6, 2004, 13:16

Most games with quicksaves lose the tension because its hey I can just save after every jump or after every enemy I've shot.

Tell that big Italian Hitman that is standing behind you with a gun to your head making you use the Quick Save to go away because it is ruining your gaming experience.

Aug 6, 2004, 13:15
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:15
Aug 6, 2004, 13:15

I'm playing as intended, as well, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy going back and playing a second time with this. I'd probably enjoy it a lot.

The darkness makes the game for me. Granted my system cannot handle the game, so I play in 640x480 with everything turned off and it looks like Doom 2.

It's been memorable, though. At first I walked off a ledge and fell to my death because I couldn't see the lack of a floor. Now, this was in the first 2 minutes of the game, near the loading dock. I kicked the brightness up after that, but only so I can occasionally see the floor.

I've learned to love the shadows. Camping, which I always hated, becomes thrilling in DM. And single player, damn. I love hearing zombies and sitting under the only light in a room, knowing they can see me but I can't see them. Slowly a silouette appears and you blast it to hell. Or running down a hall, turning, taking a few steps and suddenly seeing two red eyes an inch from your face, it's so dark you ran right into it.

The game is ridiculously easy in the lowest two settings, though. Shotguns send you back 20 feet, imps trash you so you can't aim, but you take next to no damage unless you grenade yourself (oops, I didn't realize how far they'd bounce).

All I ever think, though, is wouldn't night vision be standard that far in the future in that dim a base?

Aug 6, 2004, 13:14
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:14
Aug 6, 2004, 13:14

Something to think about...

Remember right before the lava pit there was a caged supply room full of health, armor, and shit loads of ammo. There was more stuff in there than you could even possibly hold. Why would they do that? It got me thinking then I noticed the chair... I pushed that sucker all the way down the hall and into the door entering the lava pit stuck it in and jammed the door up so it wouldn't lock as I entered the lava pit. Now I could make runs back to the room ans use the extra health and ammo. Made the lava pit a helluva to easier and I think they might have intended you to do this considering there was only one chair [knocked over on it side in the middle of the room] and they gave you more health than you could possibly pick up in one refill...

Think outside the box.

[probably just all those adventure games bubbling up inside of me.]

No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 13:08
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:08
Aug 6, 2004, 13:08

What's next? A Sigourney Weaver trick and all the weapons can be tapped together? It would mean not having to reload the one you got, or waiting until the first weapon is stowed and the next is deployed.

I'm playing Doom3 as idsoftware intended it. I'm equiped far better than good enough to make it through on hard...I'm frequently leaving behind ammo and armor (though I'm consuming plenty of health...something about bleeding all the way through the levels to draw the demons or something maybe). I consider anyone looking for a way to artificially improve their gear by hacking to be whoosies.
Let's Rock!

Aug 6, 2004, 13:06
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:06
Aug 6, 2004, 13:06

Ray Marden, I'm guessing you didn't play on the 2nd hardest difficulty level with auto balancing AI. Because I did and I got my @$$ handed to me in so many battles it wasn't even funny. The pace of that game got really bad once you start running into trigens and in many cases before, because one lucky guy could end your run. Was fun for the first 5 or 6 levels, then I just didn't have the patience and god mode'd it till the end.

Aug 6, 2004, 13:05
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:05
Aug 6, 2004, 13:05

On a whole, Far Cry was not difficult, even on the highest couple difficulty settings. There were just some stand alone points that were difficult because of bad design.

The next to the last boss fight where they stick you behind a podium with no cover was just stupid.
It really highlighted the fact that there AI really wasn't all that great. "Gee, you can make AI that has 5 extraordinarily tough guys shoot grenades. Awesome job."

The outdoor levels were too easy in general because the AI usually couldn't find you. Indoor levels were generally okay until they realized that one v one, or four v one their AI just couldn't stand up to anyone who could click a mouse button so they had to throw in 10 or 20 guys at a time.

I guess my real gripe is that indoors their AI doesn't have as much flexibility and it showed through fairly often, especially when they tried to make up for it in quantity.
Outdoors they worked better in squads though often you never saw that because you were looking at them through the hairs

I liked the weapon approach just fine, it's when they stuck a save point three rooms *after* you stocked up that it was annoying. Really there were just 4 or 5 points where they needed an extra save spot so you wouldn't be backtracked past two or more tough battles.

No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 13:01
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 13:01
Aug 6, 2004, 13:01

This just cracks me up, that a game was made where player cant hold a flashlight and a pistol/weapon at the same time. Especailly since it takes place 140 years from now.
Apparently technoligy regresses cause Nighvision is standard NOW.
The idea that a game is so weak that it has to have you fumble with a light during battles is freking hilarious.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 13:03.
Scorpio Slasher: ... What about you boy, what do hate?
Marcus: ... Bullies. Tiny d*ck egotists who hurt people for no reason, make people lock their doors at night. People who make general existence worse, people like you.

Aug 6, 2004, 12:55
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 12:55
Aug 6, 2004, 12:55

"Far Cry is the first game in a long time to make me tense, angry, etc and it felt good. And all because of save points instead of quicksaves. Most games with quicksaves lose the tension because its hey I can just save after every jump or after every enemy I've shot."

I personally like the quicksave option, but that's because of the games I've played in the past that had save points that were so few and far between that you had to replay 1/2 hour of the game just to get back to a "boss" enemy that took a few tries to kill. That's hours wasted getting back to a point I'd already made it to with a good amount of health and ammo.

I do see both sides of the issue, though.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley

Aug 6, 2004, 12:42
DDI
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 12:42
Aug 6, 2004, 12:42
DDI

Far Cry is the first game in a long time to make me tense, angry, etc and it felt good. And all because of save points instead of quicksaves. Most games with quicksaves lose the tension because its hey I can just save after every jump or after every enemy I've shot.

Aug 6, 2004, 12:34
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 12:34
Aug 6, 2004, 12:34

Some of the situations they placed you in were so stupidly hard, not because of being clever but just because it was an unfair position in the extreme (most notably the next-to-last boss fight).

Wait, Far Cry was hard? Relatively, it was more of a challenge than Doom 3, but I thought it was a bit easy. At least its enemies were vastly more dynamic than the ones in Doom 3.

As for "unfair" positions, I really have no idea how you can argue that one. Far Cry had its scripted moments, but so many of the areas were incredibly large, gave you cover, etc. In comparison, though stupidly easy, Doom 3 lacks nearly any type of gameplay design.

Open door/walk into area/trigger event...take unavoiadable hit...return hit...grab one of four medpacks sitting around...repeat...

I actually like the weapon approach of Far Cry as well. Though still sharing a bit of unrealism like all games, it did make some effort to address weapon storage and holding capacity. Meanwhile, the Doom 3 marine just touches his pants pocket and then pulles out a two or three foot long weapon - multiple types.

Thinkin the lava pit was the only bad and unfair part of Fary Cry,
Ray

-----
Enahs is a DEMON supporter! Are you?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Don't need no tape...
Aug 6, 2004, 12:16
Re: Don't need no tape... Aug 6, 2004, 12:16
Aug 6, 2004, 12:16

hm, one would think that they invented helmets with built-in flashlights (left and right) in the future, so that an extra flashlight would be unnecessary - before they built spacestations on mars...
--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl

Aug 6, 2004, 12:05
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 12:05
Aug 6, 2004, 12:05

I don't know what all this stuff aboud duct tape is.

It's a pretty standard stance to hold a flashlight in your left hand, facing down, and cross your right wrist over your left one, thereby shining the light forward and stabilizing your shooting hand. Implementing that would be cool, too, as the shot would make the light move around.

Exactly. And another great reason for holding the light this way, as opposed to holding it next to your head as so many movie/TV/videogame characters are apt to do? Because in a low visibility situation, if there IS a bad guy out there with a gun and he sees a light bobbing after him, the first thing he is going to do is shoot at that light.

Does anyone still want to hold it next to their head?

Re: Don't need no tape...
Aug 6, 2004, 11:59
Re: Don't need no tape... Aug 6, 2004, 11:59
Aug 6, 2004, 11:59

You nancyboy whiners who want it brighter:

Bring down console
r_gamma 2
r_brightness 2

Probably even go higher if you want. Or maybe they'll make a "night light mod" and your mommy will come out and give you some warm milk and cookies, too.

Crybabies.

Aug 6, 2004, 11:55
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 11:55
Aug 6, 2004, 11:55

I'm using a Logitech MX 510 gaming mouse - here's my layout:

LMB - fire
RMB - scope/zoom (haven't used it yet, will I need it?)
Wheel - change weapons
Wheel/CMB - flashlight
"Back" thumb button - reload
"Forward" thumb button - PDA

The wheel then switches to the flashlight AND changes weapons - works well for me. If the zoom really isn't needed, the RMB might become the grenade button or something else (with no alt-fire modes, grenades might be a good choice here). I don't have grenades yet, so it's kinda up in the air at this point... I also like being able to manually reload and turn on/off the PDA without using a keyboard keystroke.

Haven't mapped the scroll up/down or change program buttons yet, but I assume you can. I've only played about 1-1/2 hours and am sure I'll make a few more adjustments as I go.

edit: I haven't encountered the "bug" mentioned below, however, I may not have hit that particular combination of controls to encounter it...

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 12:05.

Have I lied to you? I mean, in this room? Trust me, leave that thing alone. - GLaDOS

Did IQs just drop sharply while I was away? - Ripley
178 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ] Older