Thanks Zathrus -- I do
know what Olestra is, how it works, and why some people get diarrhea after they eat it, which is why I would classify it as *points with both fingers this time*, IMO, a poison..
It's huge, biologically and chemically speaking. In fact, it's so big that our bodies cannot process it -- it cannot be absorbed by the intestines into the blood stream. Instead it passes on through the entire digestive tract.
Add to that the fact that it absorbs a number of necessary nutrients as it passes through, thus preventing their
absorption by the intestines into the blood stream.
Of course, the engineers counter this by adding extra vitamins to the mix, but frankly, with all of the various difficulties the body has dealing with the stuff, I have no real qualms about calling it a poison:http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=poison
"... this has ALL been done before, better and by people who are slightly more competent than a pack of one eyed gerbils on acid."
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.