SÖLDNER Demo

The "final" demo for SÖLDNER: Secret Wars is now available, allowing the chance to sample the mercenary-themed first-person shooter from Wings Simulations. The demo offers four maps for a 234 MB download, available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, Filerush (torrent), OzForces, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: This is bullshit.
Aug 6, 2004, 17:25
Sty
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 17:25
Aug 6, 2004, 17:25
Sty

Thanks for the reply Teut, my misunderstanding on the portal loss.

I understand I'm pinging the server. That was my point. I have no idea what the server ping is, so I just connect to whatever is at the top of the list hoping I get get good connectivity. Unfortunately that hasn't been happening and there's no way to see what the ping is before joining server. Any idea when you'll be putting the actual server ping in the browser? Or are the red X's here to stay? Thanks.

Aug 6, 2004, 17:14
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 17:14
Aug 6, 2004, 17:14

We didnt close the US portal, we merged them. Both portals were located in germany from the start anyway, so theres no change.

Your ping has nothing to do with the portal, you ping the server, not the portal.

We do changed server setups, so if oyu got issues please post a tracert in the Söldner server forums and we look into it.

Aug 6, 2004, 13:12
Sty
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 13:12
Aug 6, 2004, 13:12
Sty

I've also had the game since launch and stuck it out in hopes of improvement. I'm beginning to lose my patience. The server list has dwindled and they've closed the U.S. portal. My ping has gone from 30-90 to 190+ (still no pings in the server list, just red X's). Yeah they've improved glitches and improved the visuals, but gameplay and connectivity is what matters most to me. Getting tired of buying a game and having to wade through this BS for the next year just to play the game they envisioned/promised.

Aug 6, 2004, 06:28
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 06:28
Aug 6, 2004, 06:28

Id also recommend BF1942 and RW stay away. Dont need any 1 player MP guys in Soldner. I like my team games to be team When I play a game of BFV I feel like lone wolfs is all there is no tactics.

In Soldner Team work pays off.

Aug 6, 2004, 06:26
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 06:26
Aug 6, 2004, 06:26

Had the game since launch...

Only issue I ever ran into during play was lag once game went on to long. So much to send with damage of ground and buildings. Never had a crash never had issues.

After the new patch all my MAJOR complaints are gone. Still needs some tweaks but they will be working on this game till March 05. Then plans for an expansion. Ill keep the game. Next patch adds in alot of major overhauls to gameplay.

This dev team at least trys to help and talks to community. Ill stick with a responsive dev vs any shit dev. Dice anyone?

Aug 6, 2004, 02:38
Re: This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 02:38
Aug 6, 2004, 02:38

Ok, I managed to finally play for a bit... and I would never buy this game when there are so many better choices out there. I can see why it's been getting horrible reviews, and rather than repeat what's already been said in them, I'll just recommend to gamers that are used to BF42 and RTCW:ET to just stay away.

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

This is bullshit.
Aug 6, 2004, 00:40
This is bullshit. Aug 6, 2004, 00:40
Aug 6, 2004, 00:40

As of 8/5/04 12:40am Eastern time, 8 servers were online. 1 was updated to the latest version (meaning it was the only one I could connect to), but I could not stay connected to it long enough to check anything out. The admin was pissing around with settings, and finally locked the server and booted everyone out. And that's after I was able to successfully connect after about a zillion tries. And I might add that of the 8 servers, 1 was full, 2 were partially full and the rest were empty.
To be fair I will wait and try again tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath given the previous negative reviews of the game. So far I am NOT impressed, especially from what I've seen of the graphics and HUD/menus.

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Soldner is fun.....
Aug 5, 2004, 23:30
Soldner is fun..... Aug 5, 2004, 23:30
Aug 5, 2004, 23:30

Here is what I think everyone's problem is....

It is hard, and they got killed a lot....A LOT!

My roomate and I just spent over an hour on a DEMO map "Riverside". Although there aren't many servers, we have been playing the demos since they came out. The graphics are a lot better, the NET CODE still needs some help, but all in all, I think it is a great game for tactical team based action.

I think the complaints are because the game is difficult. The weapons are touchy and take some practice. As far as vehicles? I think they suck and don't use them. I am often the commander and stay a distance from the action and call the shots. I like sitting on a hilltop and directing the team and taking sniper shots on the bases. On occasion I will lead an attack with a squad and lay down some fire with the SAW.

It is a great game, and we will be purchasing 2 copies this weekend so we can continue to pwn foolz.

lata.

Bats.

not bad
Aug 5, 2004, 18:34
not bad Aug 5, 2004, 18:34
Aug 5, 2004, 18:34

Any singleplayer?

don't bother. the single player is worth about as much as Battlefield's, which is nil.

multiplayer-wise the demo plays much much better than the beta they released awhile back. It also looks like they did some upgrading of the shaders (or something about the lighting looks better). vehicles now handle correctly. I still dont care for the player movement though, its hard to verbalize but it feels quirky somehow. Oh, and you can connect to just about any game now and not wait until your old and grey to play.

its getting there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 16:23
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 16:23

Downloaded it, played it, uninstalled it. Never again.
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

Re: Servers
Re: Servers Aug 5, 2004, 16:23

Are any server admins actually going to put up a server for this?

Yes, the guys at Planet Soldner are putting up a server for it. I'm sure others will as well, but I don't know any for sure.

Servers
Aug 5, 2004, 15:44
Bet

Servers Aug 5, 2004, 15:44
Aug 5, 2004, 15:44
 Bet

Are any server admins actually going to put up a server for this? I know some people don't learn after being burned, but damn. Those other demos sucked. I'll still try this one, but I'm not holding my breath for any good North American servers...

Zoldner thoughts.
Aug 5, 2004, 15:07
Zoldner thoughts. Aug 5, 2004, 15:07
Aug 5, 2004, 15:07

I think the game is awesome.
The only issue I have is the vehicles control and physics.
But then again, I had more fun laying explosives in the enemies base spawn and leaving before it caps, then blowing the 3 surrounding buildings while they are running around looking for me.

*sigh*

I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

Any SP?
Aug 5, 2004, 14:52
Any SP? Aug 5, 2004, 14:52
Aug 5, 2004, 14:52

Any singleplayer?

I'll give it a try...
Aug 5, 2004, 14:09
I'll give it a try... Aug 5, 2004, 14:09
Aug 5, 2004, 14:09

I have no problem giving it a second chance, they seem to have worked very hard on getting it better so why not. It's only a demo, not like I/you have to pay for it. Deformable terrain is a cool idea, good for the future of gaming.

with a z now...
Aug 5, 2004, 13:40
with a z now... Aug 5, 2004, 13:40
Aug 5, 2004, 13:40

ZOLDNER!!!!

Hehe, thats all I remember from the first demo

-DSR

teut interview
Aug 5, 2004, 13:27
teut interview Aug 5, 2004, 13:27
Aug 5, 2004, 13:27

In case anyone is interested I posted this a few days ago in another minor Soldner thread:

"theres a 4 part interview of Teut Weiderman(sic?), the lead on Soldner over at Planetsoldner.com:

http://planetsoldner.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=18

He pretty much comes clean when asked if he was satisfied with the release he states "I'd be lying to myself if I said yes." As far as blame he says it breaks down to about 1/3 being the fault of "us" (meaning Wings), 1/3 "not us" (which you assume he means Jowood) and 1/3 bad luck/comedy-of-errors. Adressing some of the critisizms about the visuals he states that the dated terrain textures are the result of having to keep resource demands low due to the deformable terrain. While newer Dx9 tech would allow much nicer textures, Soldner was started 4 years ago when such tech wasn't available. He also goes into detail about the problems with the netcode which also is somehow connected with the deformable terrain* (matter-f-fact, there are several bugs which can be traced back to this feature from what I understand)

If I understood him correctly (he has a heavy German accent and talks quite fast) one of their biggest mistakes was when they gave estimates for the completion date to Jowood they miscaculated and kept themselves in a sort of perpetual "crunch mode" for a long time (he looks incredibly worn out in the interview). One assumes they made a lot of errors under such circumstances.

He finishes up by stating "no, we're not happy but we want to make it right". They plan on working on getting the game into its intended state by working full time until March of next year. they also plan an expansion and Soldner 2."

*EDIT I was mistaken about the terrain affecting the netcode. I misunderstood the statement in the interview.

What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: DOA
Aug 5, 2004, 12:29
Bronco

Re: DOA Aug 5, 2004, 12:29
Aug 5, 2004, 12:29
 Bronco

Good potential, terrible delivery.

Terrible timing at the least.

I'll download this and get to it in a month. Wait, isn't there another big one supposedly arriving then.

Guess it will wait till November then?

If they could have gotten this out the door just two weeks ago...

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

http://tinyurl.com/6p3om - WTF?
-TPFKAS2S

Re: DOA
Aug 5, 2004, 12:15
Re: DOA Aug 5, 2004, 12:15
Aug 5, 2004, 12:15

Feedback on demo please.

DOA
Aug 5, 2004, 12:02
DOA Aug 5, 2004, 12:02
Aug 5, 2004, 12:02

This game flatlined a long time ago.. Good potential, terrible delivery.

R!FT

This comment was edited on Aug 5, 12:07.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older