More Manhunt Hunting

The Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) has issued an Open Letter to Home Secretary on the "Manhunt murder" situation (story), defending the legality of the game. Meanwhile, Manhunt Lawyer Speaks on IGN talks with attorney Jack Thompson (though they refer to him as Jack Johnson for the entirety of the conversation) for further follow-up on this, as Thompson responds to allegations that the copy of the game in question was found in the victim's, rather than the killer's home (story), saying "That's false. The game belonged to the murderer." Meanwhile, Police reject game link to murder (thanks Mike Martinez) is another story restating the official theory that this is a robbery case, while offering the victim's mother's word that the game in possession of the victim was a gift from the alleged perpetrator. She also forgets the game plan of blaming the game for this in stating:
"Leblanc is responsible for what Leblanc did and what he did was horrible."
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 14:08
Re: No subject Aug 6, 2004, 14:08
Aug 6, 2004, 14:08

The irony is, Manhunt is probably one of the most boring games I ever played. Once the shock factor of seeing poorly digitised killings and hearing the word 'fuck' in a video game wears off, it becomes really just a procession of banging the wall and hiding in shadows.

No subject
Aug 6, 2004, 03:21
No subject Aug 6, 2004, 03:21
Aug 6, 2004, 03:21

The UK already has age restrictions on games that are enforced by law, and rightly so. As I understand it there's no comparable system in the US so games makers leave themselves open to these kind of opportunistic lawsuits. If developers and publishers AREN'T pushing for legally enforced age classifications on games in the US then to an extent they only have themselves to blame when joker's like Jack Thompson jump on the bandwagon. If I'm wrong please don't flame me.

I generally don't have a problem with youngsters playing violent games - what? are you going to do stop them playing cowboys and indians (ok, nobody actually plays that anymore but we did when we were little) or cops and robbers? - but when I saw my nephew had been bought Manhunt by his MOTHER I was pretty annoyed. It is a sick game, there's no denying that and a 13 year old (in this case) shouldn't be playing it. But I don't for a minute believe it's going to make him kill anyone, nor do I think the game should be banned. But it should be restricted in just the same way movies are. As it turned out he was totally disappointed with it, but that's another story.

A while back on these boards a wise man pointed out that if you're going to ban video games for inciting violence then you should also ban The Catcher In the Rye and Jodie Foster. Why not ban religion and really have a field day.

And just to cap things off, what the heck is Spume talking about? It's obvious that cats should be banned because THEY cause allergies - not the other way around. I don't mind the incoherent stream of consciousness so much but there are limits.

Hit the problem at the source.
Aug 5, 2004, 23:58
Hit the problem at the source. Aug 5, 2004, 23:58
Aug 5, 2004, 23:58

Hmmm I wonder when we'll start seeing lawsuits by gaming companies against parents because they failed to teach their kids responsible social behaviors and civic responsibility.

Aug 5, 2004, 21:43
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 21:43
Aug 5, 2004, 21:43

Oh no! At this rate Britain will be full of gun toting psychopaths!

*Grabs shotgun*

Thank god they'll all have lame twitch skillz after using controllers to aim with. Late night Doom pays off at last!

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 19:48
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 19:48
Aug 5, 2004, 19:48

Re: Jack's back!
Aug 5, 2004, 18:37
Re: Jack's back! Aug 5, 2004, 18:37
Aug 5, 2004, 18:37

We could be forced to wear a special soap formulation just to wash the family cat - we wouldn't want it to get allergic after all. Little Billy the dog had better be quiet too or he'll be going down for surgery to sever his vocal chords. Sever! We're all happy bout this but , hey, you know, we could be happier.!!!!

thats all I'm sayin'!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Aug 5, 2004, 17:31
Re: Jack's back! Aug 5, 2004, 17:31
Aug 5, 2004, 17:31

Thompson is just trying to make a living. From our point of view, not an honest living, but that doesn't mean it isn't an HONEST living. Hell, no.

As somebody already mentioned, he only has to win once to pay back his school fees, or whatever. Right now the bulk of gamers can look at the facts and say, jeeze, it's just a game... 5 years, or 10 years from now it could be families....

So, 10 years from now it could be very diferent. That's the price you pay for living in La La Land. We could be forced to wear a special soap formulation just to wash the family cat - we wouldn't want it to get allergic after all. Little Billy the dog had better be quiet too or he'll be going down for surgery to sever his vocal chords. Sever! We're all happy bout this but , hey, you know, we could be happier.!!!!

Aug 5, 2004, 16:19
Re: Jack's back! Aug 5, 2004, 16:19
Aug 5, 2004, 16:19

What is it with this Jack Thompson character? Did a video game murder his father or something? Why does he have such a hardon for video games? Especially since, as far as I can tell, every single case he's brought has been tossed out?

pretty simple: If he manages to win just one case its going to set precedent and at that point he'll a.) go down in history and become a household word among the other scumbags litigators b.) it'll open the door to a flood of lawsuits thereby making the legal profession more despicably wealthy than it already is.

basically the same reason you'll never see a court award a moron cash for becoming obese because of MacDonalds menu.

Then again, they (attorneys) got people to award "victims" money because they chose to smoke and got cancer so I suppose anything is possible

What Would Fred Do?
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 16:22.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

I'm a Rockstar
Aug 5, 2004, 16:08
I'm a Rockstar Aug 5, 2004, 16:08
Aug 5, 2004, 16:08

Jack Thompson = "ManCunt"

What Would Fred Do?
This comment was edited on Aug 5, 16:09.

- Jim Goad

Video games of the past...
Aug 5, 2004, 16:02
Video games of the past... Aug 5, 2004, 16:02
Aug 5, 2004, 16:02

I have to wonder what video games Hitler or Stalin played as children. I bet it was a Derek Smart game.

I would bet my bottom dollar that this is just an excuse for publicity. Music already had to deal with shit from people that where looking to make a name for themselves by hitting an easy target. Parents don't like the music their kids are listening to, so it must be the reason their kids act the way they do. They can happily ignore the fact that some people are just fucked up and do bad stuff. Why? They don't feel they will be punished or just don't care. Especially when they have a scapegoat to pin the blame on.

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 15:11
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 15:11
Aug 5, 2004, 15:11

i cant believe you think this guy is on some kind of ethical mission

its ALL about teh cash

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Can't blame it on the individual...
Aug 5, 2004, 14:45
Can't blame it on the individual... Aug 5, 2004, 14:45
Aug 5, 2004, 14:45

Because you can't understand why they did it. So you look for someone to blame...

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 14:30
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 14:30
Aug 5, 2004, 14:30

another good point to bring up is from what he says here:

"The Federal Trade Commission just last month proved that despite the promises after Columbine not to market this stuff to kids that M-rated games are still marketed directly to some people under-17 and despite Wal-Mart's and Target's and other retailers' age restrictions, you can buy those games in those stores if you're under age."

Why does he go after the game makers and not the retailers themselves since the game makers have no controll who it gets sold to after there software gets shiped out. From what i remember the retailer can be fined for such but its not enforced. How can he expect the game makers to say "pay me for your wrong doing, by selling to underage kids" when in fact it lies with the government or other such entities to get retailers to sell them in the proper age range.

as he says this:

"In the states you can walk into Best Buy and buy any game regardless of your age, no questions asked. The age restrictions are an attempt to avoid culpability, but there's no sanctions visited by the manufacturers on the retailers to try to make them adhere to the age restrictions. It's a joke".

Like i said why does he blame the manufacturers when they dont sell the game they just make it. Sounds like he is the joke.

Aug 5, 2004, 14:12
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 14:12
Aug 5, 2004, 14:12

Actually, something occured to me.

Let's say you're a lawyer. You represent a client who is a woman that has been raped. You lose the case.

Your next client is also a woman who has been raped. You lose the case.

It could be that you're not a good lawyer, but it could also be that you happened to have a couple of bad cases.

A third woman who got raped presents herself as a client. Do you reject her as a client because you haven't won any rape cases and there's no point to taking one? Perhaps you would if you thought you were no good at rape cases, but otherwise you'd take the client because it's your belief that there are a bunch of rapists out there that need to be stopped and someone has to fight for the victims.

That's what this Jack Thompson character is. He believes that these video game makers are like rapists (ok, maybe not that bad and they need to be stopped. That's why he keeps fighting - he's trying to fight for a cause.

The flaw in this however is that there's yet to be proof that video games are responsible for murders (whereas it has been proven that rapists are responsible for rapes). This case is particularly bad - the killer wasn't even the one who owned the game - but he's going to go after it anyway. He believes he's on a crusade and these game makers must be stopped at any price.

At this point I'm not sure what to do - I don't think calm, rational explanations (or facts) will stop this man. I also realize that the relentless lambasting that people do on boards like this won't help either. Perhaps the ultimate result will be that, if he's ever successful, then more video game makers will take care with what they put in games.

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 13:55
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 13:55
Aug 5, 2004, 13:55

Railroad Tycoon made me a millionaire.

Aug 5, 2004, 12:26
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 12:26
Aug 5, 2004, 12:26

Now I'm sure there has been some research done that shows the video games have an influence on your activites when young. hell, when I was 8 everytime I saw a brick wall I punched it thinking it would spew out money, but my mom didn't try to sue Nintendo when I had to go to the hospital for a broken hand.. she told me I was an idiot for thinking punching a brick wall was smart and I learned my lesson.

Maybe what these parents should do is realize they failed horribly at raising their son/daughter rather then blame it on the game they LET their son or daugher play!

I've been playing video games since I was 6 (I'm now 24) and when I was growing up my parents always new what I was playing. Were they worried that Metroid would make we want to kill bugs and roll around in a ball? no! did they think when I was playing Need for Speed I would start driving my POS fast and wrecklessly, no! Why, because my parents also RAISED ME! I don't give a shit what you play or do, if you parents don't take the time to raise you, you are going to end up a little immoral...

Maybe instead of blaming video games for teaching their kids that kill is OK (which obviously, according to Manhunt, a rated M game that should have NEVER been in these kid's hands), parents should take some responsibility and say "oops, we forgot to teach him killing is wrong."

Aug 5, 2004, 12:24
Re: No subject Aug 5, 2004, 12:24
Aug 5, 2004, 12:24

that lawyer thinks he smells money from an easy, out of court settlement..

makes sense - but as far as I can tell he's never had one of those. The judge calls bullshit and tosses it out before it gets far enough to consider going to trial.

Unless I'm missing something.

No subject
Aug 5, 2004, 12:15
No subject Aug 5, 2004, 12:15
Aug 5, 2004, 12:15

that lawyer thinks he smells money from an easy, out of court settlement..

thats what it all boils down to

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: Jack Thompson
Aug 5, 2004, 12:10
Re: Jack Thompson Aug 5, 2004, 12:10
Aug 5, 2004, 12:10

fred flintstone is the infamous Frederickson in new chlothes. Ignore him.

Re: Jack Thompson
Aug 5, 2004, 12:08
Re: Jack Thompson Aug 5, 2004, 12:08
Aug 5, 2004, 12:08

If some wacked-out adult wants to spend his time playing GTA: Vice City one has to wonder why he doesn't get a life, but when it comes to kids it has a demonstrable impact on their behavior and the development of the frontal lobes of their brain.

lol. what a bigot.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older