• Half-Life 2 on IGN.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Noteworthy.
Aug 4, 2004, 15:33
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 4, 2004, 15:33
Aug 4, 2004, 15:33

I am still waiting for more "official" reviews, something akin to what [H] with with Darkness 3 Doom 3.

Pre-6800, go with ATI; I have no doubt about that I would go ATI.

Post-6800, the reviews you posted about (and a few others I have seen) put the 6800 on even ground. Previously, the non-6800 cards were about 30% behind. Is Doug really saying that those cards are still only 30% behind and that the 6800 cards are 30% as well? That would not seem to line up with the noted improvements made with the 6800 architecture.

Oh well, who knows? I actually expect the 6800 to be on par with x800, but we will not know until closer to release. So long as I am not slower than my 9800xt would have been, I will be fine.

Skeptical of that 30% rating (for the 6800 series,)
Ray

-----
But, what is ultimately important in life?
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Aug 4, 2004, 00:59
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 4, 2004, 00:59
Aug 4, 2004, 00:59

Besides, surely it'd be better for Valve if DIII is a great success? If it brings more people into PC gaming, gets people to upgrade their machines, increases the FPS fanbase, yeah I can see how that'd dent the sales

You're right, of course. The worst outcome for HL2 would be if D3 totally sucked. People would feel burned by all the hype and the buildup, and wouldn't touch HL2 no matter what they heard about it.

I'm sprawled across the davenport of despair.
It's the land of the brave, and the home of the free, where the less you know the better off you'll be.

No subject
Aug 3, 2004, 20:36
No subject Aug 3, 2004, 20:36
Aug 3, 2004, 20:36

Come on guys, you got the point.
Far Cry ha many more shaders in use than in Doom 3.

Aug 3, 2004, 19:17
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 19:17
Aug 3, 2004, 19:17

it makes me laugh that valve's attempt to mar the doom3 US release day goes pretty much unnoticed. damn shame.
It makes me laugh how dumb that comment is.
A) Apart from the fact that this is an IGN preview, not a Valve press release, it's hardly saying anything malicious to try and mar the DIII release.
B) Besides, surely it'd be better for Valve if DIII is a great success? If it brings more people into PC gaming, gets people to upgrade their machines, increases the FPS fanbase, yeah I can see how that'd dent the sales

The only problem they might have is if HL2 is a significantly worse than DIII, and gets bad reviews that fuck up the sales. But how likely is that?

I'd guess 80% upwards of DIII players will also play HL2. A great release is good for everyone in the industry, unless you've hyped something you can't deliver, a la Daikatana, etc.

Edit: Clarity
This comment was edited on Aug 3, 19:19.

Aug 3, 2004, 19:16
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 19:16
Aug 3, 2004, 19:16

"....game will be ready sometime in august. Vivendi will set the actual release date after that."

Don't be alarmed by the lack of excitement Valve, it's just, well, you're kind of like the boy crying wolf. Don't talk to us until it's done.

Aug 3, 2004, 19:05
indiv

Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 19:05
Aug 3, 2004, 19:05
 indiv

How many shaders does Doom 3 have? Let me see... one for the "heat effect"... and one for the water, if there's any?

So what you're really saying is that you have no idea what a shader is, right?

Aug 3, 2004, 18:00
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 18:00

so, no shaders in every single doom3 texture.. those bump, specular, and 'stencil' vectors aren't shaders? the refractive glass, the glowing lights, the pulsating crawling flesh of the demonic being taking over the base aren't shaders?

just because doom3 isn't surrounded by water doesn't mean there aren't impressive effects in the game... the fact that you haven't realise the complexity that goes into the sublte effects in doom3 is more a testament to id's prowess at making a convincing looking environment than crytek's where the effects are unreal and obvious, albeit very nice looking.

it makes me laugh that valve's attempt to mar the doom3 US release day goes pretty much unnoticed. damn shame.

Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 18:00

What about nVidia then? Carmack swallowed nV's (and Creative) cock, so what?
You and the sites you've reported are basing their benchmarks on BETA software, like they did with STALKER alpha which was based on DX7 code. Very professional.
You must not know that ATi's SM2.0b gives a bigger performance boost than the much hyped nV SM3.0, in Far Cry, which is a SHADER INTENSIVE game. How many shaders does Doom 3 have? Let me see... one for the "heat effect"... and one for the water, if there's any?

Take other more shader intensive games like HALO to test the cards.
Ahem, I never said that those benchmark were valid, but they are enough evidence to raise some concern. And while iD did have a deal with nVidia, they never outright lied (atleast, not when the game was finished/close to being) about a 30% performance increase on nVidia's card. Time will tell of course.

Who pissed in your cereal this morning?

And Halo sucks and no one is ever going to use that engine again, fuck benchmark based on it.

Aug 3, 2004, 17:53
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 17:53
Aug 3, 2004, 17:53

But wait -- nvidia still wins in Far Cry from the benchmarks that I've seen. Plus I'm looking at the benchmarks for games that I'm gonna be playing, like HL2, Doom III and Stalker. They're giving a glimpse of performance, which is all I'm looking for, not a final, official benchmark.

We bury our sins here, Dave. We wash them clean.
This comment was edited on Aug 3, 17:55.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Aug 3, 2004, 17:29
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 17:29
Aug 3, 2004, 17:29

What about nVidia then? Carmack swallowed nV's (and Creative) cock, so what?
You and the sites you've reported are basing their benchmarks on BETA software, like they did with STALKER alpha which was based on DX7 code. Very professional.
You must not know that ATi's SM2.0b gives a bigger performance boost than the much hyped nV SM3.0, in Far Cry, which is a SHADER INTENSIVE game. How many shaders does Doom 3 have? Let me see... one for the "heat effect"... and one for the water, if there's any?

Take other more shader intensive games like HALO to test the cards.

Aug 3, 2004, 15:42
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 15:42
Aug 3, 2004, 15:42

Doug specifically stated that the ATI x800 was the card of choice amongst many of the testers, as it ran roughly about 30% faster than Nvidia's best cards.
Let the flame wars begin
It's not about a flame war, but you have to wonder how far is ATi's cock down Valve's throat? Especially after seeing benchmark like these:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/gffx/nv40-3-p4.html#p21
http://www.presence-pc.com/news/n4316.html
And I've seen another that had nVidia's card performing even better.

It's hard to take them seriously. With some luck they'll be honest and provide real benchmark. Atleast iD did it with DOOM3 (no matter what the quality of the game is).

Re:
Aug 3, 2004, 14:14
Re: Aug 3, 2004, 14:14
Aug 3, 2004, 14:14

If being so concerned about being sucked in to a plot line then a book, because if a book doesn’t offer and interesting story it most likely wont be published.....

I read planty of books, thank you. You missed the whole point of my post. What I am asking and hoping for is a well-presented story in a game. Got that? A good story, presented artfully in a PC GAME!!!!

Plancescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, and to some extent KOTOR, all did a great job of that. In the world of FPS, Half Life and System Shock 2 may not have entirely original stories, but thier presentation was great.

Just like in a good book, where you can't wait to turn the page over to read what happens on the next page, a good sotry presented well in a game will make you want to check out what's around the corner, behind the door, down a corridor, etc.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Re:
Aug 3, 2004, 13:49
Tim
Re: Aug 3, 2004, 13:49
Aug 3, 2004, 13:49
Tim

If you want an engrossing story, well your looking in the wrong place PC Games especially the FPS genre have characteristically bad storylines. They are always comprised of plot pieces from Bestselling fiction novels I’ve red ie. Cover-ups, something that was supposed to be good gone terribly wrong, etc. And ill admit Half-life was a Diamond in the rough (I bought it the week it came to my then local game store, before the mega BB’s...reminiscing). But the gamming scene now is hardly rough, im not going to list the games, being positive sure your C: Drive will give testament. Although there is segment of the PC Gaming industry that is rough and it’s led by Valve. First of all he is shrewd, and he gets away with too may things. He has over extended the wave of Half-Life by about 2 or 3 years. He all but promised the release of Half-Life 2 a year ago. And ushered in the era of steam-ish computer hoarding technology, which hurts everyone except his pockets….I foresee subscription for all and advertisements aplenty on steam’s horizon because I know its already in Valves’ eyes.

If being so concerned about being sucked in to a plot line then a book, because if a book doesn’t offer and interesting story it most likely wont be published.....

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 13:52.

Re:
Aug 3, 2004, 12:59
Re: Aug 3, 2004, 12:59
Aug 3, 2004, 12:59

very few FPS have good story and plot atleast i cant remember any right now.

Re:
Aug 3, 2004, 12:40
Re: Aug 3, 2004, 12:40
Aug 3, 2004, 12:40

I couldn't wait for September last year.....:P

My HL2 voucher could be worth more as a collectors item on ebay, than as barter to acquire the actual game!

Still, I'm part way into DooM3 and loving it, yet still foaming at the mouth waiting for HL2... and, can't forget UT2K4 which I'm still loving... what a year!

Aug 3, 2004, 12:24
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 12:24
Aug 3, 2004, 12:24

OK, I'm not trying to contribute to the flame wars, but I have to totally agree with you Gandhi. The reviews I've seen for Doom 3 are that it's repetative but it'll scare the f*** outta ya. I'm down with this, but I have a feeling that it won't pull me in like Half Life did. Add this to the fact that Doom doesn't have a good Multi-player packaged in (I know it's a single player game, but c'mon give us more than 5 maps) and it'll be traded in towards HL2 when I'm done.

The one thing that really got me going was this bit:

For instance, I accidentally bounced a bottle off of a table and it careened towards a Combine soldier, who immediately switched on his shock stick. The Combine soldiers (those odd-looking figures with the "full cranial gas masks") seemed much more aggressive once you were behind the keyboard instead of passively watching video. They had no problem pushing you around and directing you completely out of their way.

Just the idea of a more seemingly real/living world makes every day without it harder to deal with. Can't wait till Sept!!!!

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 12:25.
~~Crim~~

Aug 3, 2004, 11:39
Re: Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 11:39
Aug 3, 2004, 11:39

Doug specifically stated that the ATI x800 was the card of choice amongst many of the testers, as it ran roughly about 30% faster than Nvidia's best cards.

Let the flame wars begin

In all honesty, I am looking forward to HL2 much more so than I am Doom 3. Sure I am excited about Doom 3, but based on what I have read in the reviews thus far, I expect Doom 3 to be a highly polished game with lots of atmosphere, but no real story behind it (hopefully I am wrong on this last bit and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but chances of that are quite low, IMO).

HL2 on the other hand, I am fully expecting to have a good story and plot that will suck me in just like the first one. It may not have the pretty graphics of Doom 3 (though they are very close both games, just different in style), but I am hoping HL2 has the same magic as the first one.

Looking forward to a great second-half 2004 for gaming

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Noteworthy.
Aug 3, 2004, 11:22
Noteworthy. Aug 3, 2004, 11:22
Aug 3, 2004, 11:22

"Aside from the ever-popular dune buggy level (complete with rollermines and Combine soldiers), I managed to get a few details about the game itself from Doug. First, to put some of the reported rumors to rest, Valve is indeed close to submitting the finished product to Vivendi Universal. However, Doug stressed that there isn't any particular date that this will happen; instead, he stated that it would be sometime in August, with a shipping date decided by Vivendi soon after."

Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 this year; That's just amazing.

It's even more if you count the size of importance these two titles will have on PC gaming.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older