Half-Life 2 Imminent?

HalflifeSource (thanks HomeLAN Fed) is reporting news from Valve's Doug Lombardi, saying: "Half-Life 2 will be passed on to publisher Vivendi for final mastering and duplication within days for it's early August target. The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September."
View : : :
116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jul 28, 2004, 23:14
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 23:14
Jul 28, 2004, 23:14

You know, I must be pretty thick, or something's wrong with my eyesight. Either way, Half Life 2 still looks pretty damn amazing to me. Especially in motion in the videos. "lame and dated" my ass.

Jul 28, 2004, 23:13
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 23:13

The day I can get 1.2 gigs (2 cdroms) worth of content faster over the net before I can drive three blocks to an EBgames, is the day I believe in online delivery.

ahhhhh yeeeeaah boyeeeeee
WarPig

ahhhhh yeeeeaah boyeeeeee Jul 28, 2004, 23:13
 WarPig

D3 and HL2 released within six weeks of each other? It's like Christmas in summer I tell ya!

Sure, I'm talking about the Christmas of 2003 but still...

-------------------------------------------------------
To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. ~ Homer Simpson

GO SEAHAWKS!

Jul 28, 2004, 23:11
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 23:11
Jul 28, 2004, 23:11

I'm not happy with the lack of MP in doom3.

-----------------------------------------------
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2833000 - My 3DMark03 Score
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm04=2488339 - My PCMark04 Score
http://users.ign.com/collection/PilotCman - My Games

No subject
Jul 28, 2004, 23:09
No subject Jul 28, 2004, 23:09
Jul 28, 2004, 23:09

Getting the game the day it goes gold, legitimately, would be the only reason I'd put steam on my PC. All the other features (I'll download and test updates on my own schedule, thank you very much) have little value to me. So, let me be the first to say STEAMing pile in this thread. I'll bet their servers will be just that on steam release day.

Insert fastest dual processors here ____________
Insert fastest pair of video cards _____________
Insert best sound card here ____________
Insert the fastest/most RAM possible here __________
Insert coolest looking case here ___________

No subject
Jul 28, 2004, 23:08
No subject Jul 28, 2004, 23:08
Jul 28, 2004, 23:08

"doom wins"

Its really starting to look like its the same, Doom hatchet/boys that post, Doom is great and HL sucks, in both HL threads and Doom threads.

Begining to wonder if they are actaully paid to make stupid statments or if they are just little kids whom found out they had a dick and think the rest of us, give a shit or something.

‘What is this bullshit that you people are doing?’
The worst criminal in human history, undeniably.
Beating and Gassing Americans for Jesus!
Ain't no tweetin, in jail jammies!

Re: Steam
Jul 28, 2004, 22:58
Vek
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:58
Jul 28, 2004, 22:58
Vek

What would be cool is if Valve teamed up with a bunch of OTHER developers, developing various other games (probably not games in direct competition with theirs, obviously, like RTS's and stuff), and offered a monthly subscription fee that would let you play -ANY- game on the service as long as you keep that fee up... (including new games as they appear).

I'd join in for a piece of that... it'd have to be more than just HL and HL2 tho. Get a few independents involved, a few RTS's, an MMORPG, all on that list, then charge a single monthly fee to play anything which appears there.

I bet they'd still make more profits even if they divvyed it up between 3-4 different developers, just due to the fact that it can cut the publisher out of the loop.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:51
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:51
Jul 28, 2004, 22:51

You certainly don't own the game any more if you get it on CD. The only difference is that instead of owning the "rights to download and play a game" you own the "rights to install and play a game"

I realize this. We had a big discussion about this back in college when Quake was stored on the Shareware CD and could be unlocked with a keycode (which qcrack was able to generate).

But, I'd rather have it on CD for soooo many reasons.

• With a CD, I can install my game 10 yrs from now even if the game company has gone bankrupt and Steam is a distant memory/
  • I don't like having to saturate my DSL connection (I share it) unless I have to, ESPECIALLY just to play single-player content. The game is probably a couple gigs, which means a complete download for each install, or persistent downloads during playing.
  • If I reformat my computer several times a year, I don't have to worry about getting "permission" to install the software more times (had to do that with Norton Antivirus). Though, if software activation becomes more common, this might cancel out.

I realize I only "have permission to install the game off the CD," but having the CD gives me more options down the road, and I don't have to bog down my connection even once.

I have more freedom.

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading + 533 MHz FSB
1024MB PC2700 Crucial RAM
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Windows XP Pro
This comment was edited on Jul 28, 23:02.
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Jul 28, 2004, 22:43
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:43
Jul 28, 2004, 22:43

I certainly don't like the idea of owning the "rights to download and play a game" instead of "owning a CD with the whole game on it."

You certainly don't own the game any more if you get it on CD. The only difference is that instead of owning the "rights to download and play a game" you own the "rights to install and play a game". You have absolutely NO more rights or ownership in either case, it's always just a license to use the software. That's all it has ever been and all it will ever be.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:40
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:40
Jul 28, 2004, 22:40

Personally, I'd rather have both. Having a hard copy sitting on the shelf is nice for a manual and a backup, but being able to login on any computer and having the data delivered automatically is especially sweet.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:36
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:36
Jul 28, 2004, 22:36

Personally, I feel a lot safer having a physical item in my possession rather than a license to electronic data over steam. I rebuilt my computer once & lost the data for my steam account.

I agree. I rebuild (or reformat) my machines contantly. I've bought software before that had to be installed off the net, and I've always had to call them up to get them to let me download more copies.

I'm against Steam anyway. They promise cheaper games and all that bullshit, but what really will happen is that games will merely be more expensive to have physically and the same price as they should have been for the Steam version.

What Steam really offers Valve is more direct profits. Publishers are like leeches; they'll suck the profits as mnuch as they can, and many are slow to pay the developers their half.

Steam can let Valve cut out the middle-man. No stocking fees, CD burning fees, etc for whoever orders it over Steam. They keep a larger profit.

This problem has been going on forever, and Valve is working on a solution. Unfortunately, I don't feel like dedicating my DSL connection to a single-player game. And I certainly don't like the idea of owning the "rights to download and play a game" instead of "owning a CD with the whole game on it."

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading & 533 MHz FSB
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Windows XP Pro
"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Jul 28, 2004, 22:35
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:35
Jul 28, 2004, 22:35

Good job infinite loop, you thought it through and came up with the only really good question. They're obviously going to sell it through steam, that's been the whole plan and in my opinion a lot of the hold up, so why can't they sell it on August 4th if that's the day it is shipped for Gold? Answer, there's really no reason at all why they couldn't...

That question has a very simple answer to it and yes there IS a reason why they couldn't just ship it on Steam as soon as the game is gold. The answer is in their contract with the producer, VU games.

Do you honestly think ANYONE would agree to package and ship a game like Half-life 2 if it were released to the public a month before the boxes would hit shelves? Of course not. Half their customers would buy it online and VU would lose out on a ton of potential profit. Valve stated in interviews that their agreement with VU games is that they would release it on Steam the same day it was released in stores.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:28
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:28
Jul 28, 2004, 22:28

If it's really done by early August they should be able to put it on Steam. Or do they have to make the virtual boxes....

Good job infinite loop, you thought it through and came up with the only really good question. They're obviously going to sell it through steam, that's been the whole plan and in my opinion a lot of the hold up, so why can't they sell it on August 4th if that's the day it is shipped for Gold? Answer, there's really no reason at all why they couldn't, and in fact they should as that would be the true test of Steam. Unless of course they are fairly sure that they're servers couldn't handle the load & people would be pissed having to wait through 3 days of downloading just to get the game.

Personally, I feel a lot safer having a physical item in my possession rather than a license to electronic data over steam. I rebuilt my computer once & lost the data for my steam account. It took me a week of fishing & mailing valve to get it back running. I'd rather not deal with the hassle & have the game on a bunch of CDs that *I* install. I'm against Steam anyway. They promise cheaper games and all that bullshit, but what really will happen is that games will merely be more expensive to have physically and the same price as they should have been for the Steam version. It's the same with any kind of company or the government moving money around... for some reason it always makes it into the pockets of the rich anyway. We rarely ever see the benefits.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:27
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 22:27
Jul 28, 2004, 22:27

these kinds of sarcastic remarks from gamers who have the maturity and intellectual capacity of a turd.

Just YesTURDay, as I was standing up from a big number two, I heard a remark just like this come from down in the bowl, I flushed that voice away in no time quick

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 22:30.

Dang Kids and Their Short Memories
Jul 28, 2004, 22:22
Dang Kids and Their Short Memories Jul 28, 2004, 22:22
Jul 28, 2004, 22:22

How short our memories are...

The immature brats forget that Valve kept their mouths shut about Half-Life 2 until last year. Everyone freaked out when they heard "Guess what, we've been working on Half-Life 2 for x years, and it's pretty close to being done. And here's some screenshots and demos."

People were in awe. Magazine lined up to see a preview. Pictures of crowbars appeared everywhere.

Doom 3, we've known about forever.

Ok, I'll admit, for a while (when HF-2 was supposed to come out) Vivendi was really hyping the game. But can you blame them? This was going to be a major cash cow. They're the ones that committed to Sept 2003, not Valve, and they're the ones that said the theft would delay it, not Valve.

A year late, yeh that sucks. But so what? I've just upgraded my gaming rig, so now it'll definately be able to handle whatever HL-2 can throw at it.

Some people need to grow up. Had Valve kept up Vivendi's promise of a Sept 2003, they'd ensure their place in history, even if HL-2 was only mediocre. Now, it will have to stand on its own merits.

As to how good the final product will be, only time will tell. But I'll be playing both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading & 533 MHz FSB
ATI Radeon 9800XT
Windows XP Pro
This comment was edited on Jul 28, 22:29.
-Fry, Futurama

No subject
Jul 28, 2004, 22:21
No subject Jul 28, 2004, 22:21
Jul 28, 2004, 22:21

Half Life 2 will sell more just by virtue of the system requirements being easier to meet.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

I'll believe this...
Jul 28, 2004, 22:19
I'll believe this... Jul 28, 2004, 22:19

..when I see it.

But if it's true, I'm gonna have to upgrade, dammit!

Kittens!

Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:19

The reason is money. Some retailer will refuse to sell the game if it's released earlier online. It's the same reason why the game will cost as much on steam as it will in store.

That is a crock... no retailer will refuse a game, that big especially, early. They would change their dates as fast as you can blink.

Jul 28, 2004, 22:17
Re: Steam Jul 28, 2004, 22:17
Jul 28, 2004, 22:17

If it's really done by early August they should be able to put it on Steam. Or do they have to make the virtual boxes....
The reason is money. Some retailer will refuse to sell the game if it's released earlier online. It's the same reason why the game will cost as much on steam as it will in store.

Re: uh huh
Jul 28, 2004, 22:14
Re: uh huh Jul 28, 2004, 22:14
Jul 28, 2004, 22:14

Why can't people enjoy both game?

About the source code theft, the game was months from being finished. And most gamers hate Valve because of steam, the rest of the hate is because we're in DOOM3's week of celebrity. It'll all go back to normal soon enough.

I was actually going to post why going from "the game's sent to Vivendi" to "on sore shelves" could very easily take as long, but most of you are to fuxking stupid to understand. And the rest already know why.

Keep being fanboys. I'll enjoy it as it will be, even if it's the [Oh noes!!!11] second best looking game. Heck, even the third if it ends up being behind Far Cry.

But yeah, it's a year late LOLOLOLOLZ!!111 ROFLFMADSKFDSKFSO

116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 5.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older