Half-Life 2 Imminent?

HalflifeSource (thanks HomeLAN Fed) is reporting news from Valve's Doug Lombardi, saying: "Half-Life 2 will be passed on to publisher Vivendi for final mastering and duplication within days for it's early August target. The official appearance will make store shelves sometime in mid to late September."
View : : :
116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jul 29, 2004, 03:00
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 03:00
Jul 29, 2004, 03:00

OK, OK, how can we discuss this if we don't agree on the basic facts of what happened? We need to get the 9/11 committee to look into this for us, and then we could understand what happened at Valve.

Or we could wait for the tell-all books to come out.
I can see the titles now: Gabe Newell's "Steamed Dreams" or maybe "The Leaky Valve"?

Yes, I know you are supposed to underline book titles, but I don't know html, so pretend.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:55
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:55
Jul 29, 2004, 02:55

game will be out for a mere month before someone figures out how to ruin your multi-player experience.

So damn true... always a shitbag out there with no man balls to act like they do online to peeps in RL. Girly Men!

Jul 29, 2004, 02:51
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:51
Jul 29, 2004, 02:51

Well, I've heard conflicting stories on just how far along they were. The fact is 5 years worth of work was stolen, and I would imagine it was HUGE job to rewrite major portions of the code that could be sabatoged by hackers.

To believe companies dont back their shit up is naive. Never saw a software company that doesnt have hourly tape back-ups.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:44
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:44

The majority of comments were because it was said the delay was caused by the theft, when in fact delay was because content was nowhere near being finished. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who's lying to you.

Well, I've heard conflicting stories on just how far along they were. The fact is 5 years worth of work was stolen, and I would imagine it was HUGE job to rewrite major portions of the code that could be sabatoged by hackers. On top of the fact that Valve had to spend additional time and resources meeting with law enforcement. Plus, the side effect of losing 5 years of blood, sweat, and tears in an instant I would imagine was VERY demotivating to the entire team. How would you like to hear that incomplete copies of your game were being shrink wrapped and sold in places like Russia and the Ukraine, both outside of American jurisdiction? The Valve code theft was not like the Doom 3 beta leak, it was their entire fucking code base, 5 years of work. It was/is a big, huge deal and frankly I'm sure it added a great deal of time to the delay of the game. Don't believe otherwise.

Sometimes I don't know why/how gamers do it. Publishers as a whole are the most selfish, cruel, immature, thankless bunch of people around. Everything revolves around the mighty dollar, and heaven help you if you're a gamer who actually believes their interest is in your entertainment.

Great, so take it out on the publisher, not the damn developers, especially not developers like Valve who have given so much to the gaming community to be treated like shit for missing a release date. It's not the fucking end of the world, but pimply faced gamers with zero life need to bitch and moan endlessly about a missed date. So what, it's a fucking game, it's not a cure for cancer, and if it's a year late so be it. If it's two years late so be it.

On a side note, not every gamer is a selfish prick. It was actually a bunch of them who helped Valve track down the asshole responsible for the code theft. Some people do care, and do have more than their own interest at stake. I sincerely hope the fucking loser is sentenced to the maxium allowable for that type of crime. As far as I'm concerened I wouldn't care if rotted in prison for the rest of his life.

I’m positive that Valve did not lose what they say they did.
A: During E3, they said their release date was September.
B: They said that their source code was ripped in October.
C: The thief said he had everything, but he never put it out; why? Because what he had was a bunch of poo.
D: The AI did not work.
E: The textures were all whacked.
F: The gaming community was thanked because they put the smack down on Valve, and rightfully so. It was a form of an apology.
G: The reason that Valve got their shit broken into in the first place was because they had the security equivalent of having their computers on the front lawn at Valve Headquarters with a sign reading, “Please don’t steal this, it’s really valuable”.
H: If the thief did have everything, the game would have been put on the net for downloading and it would have been a Warez wet dream. As it was, the friends of mine who grabbed it said it was a bunch of poop, full of scripted sequences, lacking any semblance of AI at all, with maps of the equivalent of a small child with a crayon in hand.
I: The game simply wasn’t finished. The release date came & went, THEN the code was stolen. I have no sympathy for Valve at all. I’ll buy their game & probably love it, but it doesn’t mean that I won’t be pissed off when I’m playing it & someone makes an invisibility bot.
J: Single-player. If you use no-clipping or god-mode, you’ve just cheated yourself. But at least you are in control. This is why Doom3 will be fun. It’s why single-player HL2 will be fun. Both will be good for different reasons. But I personally guarantee you that the game will be out for a mere month before someone figures out how to ruin your multi-player experience.

Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:44

Except its not that simple. They lied AND COST ME MONEY. I bought a 9800pro the week before, thanks to that dickhead Lombardi. Thanks for leaving me with carrying what was then a VERY expensive card, which now to all intents and purposes, is nearly reaching budget prices. And no, I don't play a lot of games, so I didn't get much value out of it at all in the last year.

Bro I hear you. I understand being mad about that, and especially because you based an expensive hardware purchase off of a false release date. I really wish we could find out how far back the code theft set them. A better question would be, if the code was never stolen how far past the September 30th release date would Valve have been?

Valve made a mistake by misstating the release date for sure. But cut those guys some slack, they've given a lot to the gaming community and I'm sure they would have released the game on the 30th if they could have. It's not like Valve were intentionally trying to screw gamers over, it was a mistake. Hopefully some of the people who made early hardware purchases and whatnot can forgive and move on, I'm sure Half Life 2 is going to kick major ass when it hits shelves in a month. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:38
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:38
Jul 29, 2004, 02:38

Okay let me explain it the hard way only for you:
Before Steam(ing Pile of Shit) I simply started my ASE which was loaded in a few miliseconds, hit one key to refresh the servers, waited 2 seconds for the servers to refresh and then clicked on the the server I wanted to join. In a matter of seconds I was able to play. If that is possible with Steam, just let me know. Even the save password function doesnt work, so I have to type in the password everytime I start that program.
Now listen closely (of course its not really listening, its reading my words) I have to type in the password, then select counterstrike, wait for it to load, then refresh the serverlist, which isnt saved nor has the browser very good filters, so it takes a lot of time to refresh servers all around the world which I will never connect to anyway. then I select the server and wait another 10 to 20 seconds for the game to start. If I am unlucky the server will kick me after the 20 seconds because they have admin slots reserved, which this smart browser doesnt notice (what a surprise). After I am finished I have to quit CS and after that I have to exit Steam aswell, which funnily takes 2 to 3 clicks of closing windows and then a final click to the task bar and FINALLY a few seconds later Steam is closed (yes, yes it takes a few seconds to actually close itself after you clicked exit).
Reminds me of logging out of an MMORPG... no wait, even those are easier.
Now if you idiot want to tell me that this is NOT difficult and unefficient then YOU are the retarded and biased one.
Btw, I am very sorry if I insulted your deity with my criticism, fanBOY.

Roger, Bravo Delta, this is Sitting Duck. I have Bogie Queen in my sights, and I'm, uh, going to shoot bullets at it now.
- Unknown Soldier
This comment was edited on Jul 29, 02:51.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:30
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:30
Jul 29, 2004, 02:30

No, the major fact why gamers are pissed is that Valve lied. Not out of ignorance. Not "by mistake". They lied. They wanted to get some hype juice flowing, and they wanted to make money off a deal with ATI. But the worst is, they continued lying up to a week before Sept 30. Lombardi was STILL saying about a week before that, that it would be released.

So, now you say: "Big deal. They lied. Get over it."

Except its not that simple. They lied AND COST ME MONEY. I bought a 9800pro the week before, thanks to that dickhead Lombardi. Thanks for leaving me with carrying what was then a VERY expensive card, which now to all intents and purposes, is nearly reaching budget prices. And no, I don't play a lot of games, so I didn't get much value out of it at all in the last year.

So my response to this announcement is:
"STFU Lombardi. Deliver the game. Deliver on the hype. And deliver me my $200 price difference on the card."

-------------------------------
I smell a revolution.

Re: Cool, cool
Jul 29, 2004, 02:24
Re: Cool, cool Jul 29, 2004, 02:24
Jul 29, 2004, 02:24

Wondering if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will push for Christmas or take the delay

i thougth s.t.a.l.k.e.r is coming in sept, what happened?damn their hide.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:09
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:09
Jul 29, 2004, 02:09

The majority of comments were because it was said the delay was caused by the theft, when in fact delay was because content was nowhere near being finished. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who's lying to you.

Well, I've heard conflicting stories on just how far along they were. The fact is 5 years worth of work was stolen, and I would imagine it was HUGE job to rewrite major portions of the code that could be sabatoged by hackers. On top of the fact that Valve had to spend additional time and resources meeting with law enforcement. Plus, the side effect of losing 5 years of blood, sweat, and tears in an instant I would imagine was VERY demotivating to the entire team. How would you like to hear that incomplete copies of your game were being shrink wrapped and sold in places like Russia and the Ukraine, both outside of American jurisdiction? The Valve code theft was not like the Doom 3 beta leak, it was their entire fucking code base, 5 years of work. It was/is a big, huge deal and frankly I'm sure it added a great deal of time to the delay of the game. Don't believe otherwise.

Sometimes I don't know why/how gamers do it. Publishers as a whole are the most selfish, cruel, immature, thankless bunch of people around. Everything revolves around the mighty dollar, and heaven help you if you're a gamer who actually believes their interest is in your entertainment.

Great, so take it out on the publisher, not the damn developers, especially not developers like Valve who have given so much to the gaming community to be treated like shit for missing a release date. It's not the fucking end of the world, but pimply faced gamers with zero life need to bitch and moan endlessly about a missed date. So what, it's a fucking game, it's not a cure for cancer, and if it's a year late so be it. If it's two years late so be it.

On a side note, not every gamer is a selfish prick. It was actually a bunch of them who helped Valve track down the asshole responsible for the code theft. Some people do care, and do have more than their own interest at stake. I sincerely hope the fucking loser is sentenced to the maxium allowable for that type of crime. As far as I'm concerened I wouldn't care if rotted in prison for the rest of his life.

Cool, cool
Jul 29, 2004, 02:07
Cool, cool Jul 29, 2004, 02:07
Jul 29, 2004, 02:07

Doom 3 in our hands by the fourth, a month or so of playing it, and then we can stretch a bit with Half-Life 2 come September.

w00t

Wondering if S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will push for Christmas or take the delay,
Ray

-----
Friends do not let EVIL piglets play Doom 3!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
Jul 29, 2004, 02:02
B M
No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:02
Jul 29, 2004, 02:02
B M

It's 2003 all over again.

Jul 29, 2004, 02:00
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2004, 02:00
Jul 29, 2004, 02:00

besides its too damn unefficient and complicated to use.

Steam is difficult to use? This statement, coupled with the rest of your post just proves how much of a retard you are.

Re: Year of the Game!
Jul 29, 2004, 01:46
Re: Year of the Game! Jul 29, 2004, 01:46
Jul 29, 2004, 01:46

The "year of the game" arguement is further bolstered by the fact that this year has already seen Far Cry, BF: Vietnam, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and UT2004.

Re: Dang Kids and Their Short Memories
Jul 29, 2004, 01:42
Re: Dang Kids and Their Short Memories Jul 29, 2004, 01:42
Jul 29, 2004, 01:42

That's all very well phorce phed, but missing a projected date by a year is hardly unusual for a such a big project let alone one with such security catastrophe.

We know both scheduling problems and the hack affected the length of the delay though not which aspects of the project or to what degree. We also don't know to what extent their plans regarding Steam, the Source Ports (particularly CS:S), the WON closure etc etc affected Valve's inner decisions and when HL2 could be released. A lot changes in a year including the audience expectations and average hardware.

The only sensible thing to do is bury the hatchet and evaluate the game on its own merits when it comes out. Though of course, as is only fair, Valve will now have to wheather the inevitable comparisons to D3.
This comment was edited on Jul 29, 01:45.

Jul 29, 2004, 01:41
Re: Dang Kids and Their Short Memories Jul 29, 2004, 01:41
Jul 29, 2004, 01:41

BIASED! The FACTS are biased against Valve! That's so unfair.

Jul 29, 2004, 01:16
Re: Dang Kids and Their Short Memories Jul 29, 2004, 01:16
Jul 29, 2004, 01:16

Vivendi was really hyping the game. But can you blame them? This was going to be a major cash cow. They're the ones that committed to Sept 2003, not Valve

Yeah, someone has a short memory all right:

As if to set us up for more shocks, Valve was quick to hit us with this little doozy: Half-Life 2 is on track for a worldwide release on September 30 of this year.

-- Gamespot, Half-Life 2 Preview, 08 May 2003

Valve [has] drawn a line in the sand and announced a ship date of September 30, 2003.

-- GameSpy, "Half-Life 2: The Very First Look", 08 May 2003

The Valve folks have decided to keep shocking even more when the date of September 30th was given as the shipping date.

-- Shacknews, Half-Life 2 Preview, 08 May 2003

Valve would be showing off scenes of actual gameplay from the upcoming shooter, which the company states will ship on September 30 of this year.

-- Gamespot, Half-Life 2 Impressions, 14 May 2003

"Can Valve make its announced September 30 release date?" [Valve Software's Erik] Johnson is still sticking by that date following our demo so unless something goes wrong we should experience a one-of-a-kind game.

-- HomeLAN Fed, Half-Life 2 Impressions, 17 May 2003

[Gabe Newell's] next comment stunned me. "So we're in the unusual situation of announcing the product at E3 this year and then shipping it on September 30." That's September 2003 right? "That's right."

-- Computer And Video Games, Half-Life 2 Preview, 28 May 2003

HomeLAN - Many people have said [...] they still don't think Valve will make its September 30 release date. Can you [tell us] whether it will indeed make that date?

Gabe Newell - The date's still September 30th.

-- HomeLAN Fed, Half-Life 2 Interview, 08 June 2003

Grrrrrr
Jul 29, 2004, 01:09
Grrrrrr Jul 29, 2004, 01:09
Jul 29, 2004, 01:09

Anyone else seeing the ad for "Hidalgo" on this site with loud orchestral music?

Time for Blue to lay the smack down on some fool.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 01:21.

Good News
Jul 29, 2004, 00:46
Good News Jul 29, 2004, 00:46
Jul 29, 2004, 00:46

1. When saw each other last, you were the master and I was the Bearcub. Now I am the Novice. (sounds much better in Darth's voice)

2. C'mon people, If evil motivations are behind Valve's timing, we still get to play SP DOOM3 and then move onto CS:Source...this is pure gaming, well, what Tony!!! said....

Personally, I think Valve is simply extremely disfunctional; while id runs with all its pieces in sync, Valve is still learning how to be a company. Maybe Gabe will turn out to be Valve's Romero (Though god protect us from his Diakatana!) and after the sloppy development of HL2 we will see them shape up and learn how to do a release right.

P.S. And I collect computer game boxes and jewel cases for display purposes, because they will someday be recognized as art. I hate the idea of downloading full games (unless they suck, or are shareware, that's fine).

Jul 29, 2004, 00:44
Re: Year of the Game! Jul 29, 2004, 00:44
Jul 29, 2004, 00:44

Only free with the superspecialhalflifetwoextended edition.

Jul 29, 2004, 00:41
Re: Year of the Game! Jul 29, 2004, 00:41
Jul 29, 2004, 00:41

"*stunned silence*"

No kidding. Good god kid. Go cheap and play a really great game. It's right there for the taking. Jesus.

Kid? Now I really feel young, thanks M8.
I still remember getting Doom 1 (on 3'5 diskettes and everything) as a gift when I graduated High School. Ah, those where the days. Patch? What the heck was a patch? Lol.

I don't know why I never played HL 1. Most of my friends have and think I am crazy for not playing it. I will try it out someday, probably just before playing HL 2.

116 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older