No Win98 DOOM 3

In today's (unusually late) DOOM 3 newsbit, a post on PlanetDOOM confirms from Activision that DOOM 3 will not run under Windows 98 or Win98SE, but that Windows XP or Windows 2000 will be required.
View : : :
197 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older

Re: Go easy on us
Jul 28, 2004, 05:28
ed
Re: Go easy on us Jul 28, 2004, 05:28
Jul 28, 2004, 05:28
ed

Re: cost of Windows 2000 pro.

I worked as a systems integrator for the better part of last year, so I'd like to chime in on this subject.

If you want to order an OEM copy of Windows 2000 Professional, guess how much it will cost? Answer: more than it will cost for an OEM copy of Windows XP Professional. No shit.

For that matter, we can order Windws 98 Second Edition new too. Guess how much THAT costs? More than it costs for Windows XP Home.

The only way it's going to be cheaper is if you're going to buy a used copy off somebody. Which I guess isn't that bad of a plan, but I don't see a lot of people selling their copies of Windows 2000 on the used market.

Jul 28, 2004, 04:39
Re: Go easy on us Jul 28, 2004, 04:39
Jul 28, 2004, 04:39

A lot of the people spewing vitriol are probably just like me in that they just want to play a game on the OS they paid good money for. But once we upgrade, (and we will, sooner or later) this becomes a non-issue and soon we get back to the business of playing games.

Wouldnt be surprised if 75% or more of these guys who refuse to switch would bitch that 98 was horrible once they eventually did....

buncha hypocrites on the internet.

I'm right until the next trend tells me to say otherwise!

Re: good riddance !
Jul 28, 2004, 04:35
Re: good riddance ! Jul 28, 2004, 04:35
Jul 28, 2004, 04:35

This really heartening to hear because this is exaclty what I've been thinking of doing for a long time now. If this is true, it sure would make my life easier. And I would feel alot better about ditching the old standby, '98!

XP runs like 99% of all games...it has problems with very old 98 or 95 games, and obviously dos games.

If the game is 1998+ it probably works on XP.

Where does it say XP has problems running games? XP is what dev's are looking at most when developing their games...

Re: After the Valium + Alcohol
Jul 28, 2004, 03:48
Re: After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:48
Jul 28, 2004, 03:48

LOL! Talk about out of my league! Read the edit BTW. Good points, but I kinda do care 'bout them purty graphics.
Wondered about the same thing when I first heard it a year ago, turns out I can get a lot of free MS thing from it. Other then Office, bastard.

As far as I can remember, win2k as the same look as win98 so you wouldn't be loosing anything. Of course, if you can find a [few -assuming you intend to use it on more then one PC with the home version] cheap copy of winXP, then there's no reason why you wouldn't want it...

Jul 28, 2004, 03:45
Re: Go easy on us Jul 28, 2004, 03:45
Jul 28, 2004, 03:45

I agree. If you can't get the money together for Windows XP, go 2000 Pro. I ran it before XP as my gaming machine for a long time. The only probelem I had with it at the time was limited driver support from some companies. With XP around now, that's not an issue anymore. They share the same drivers for most products.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 03:47.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jul 28, 2004, 03:41
Prez

Re: After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:41
 Prez

Microsoft developpers network academic alliance

LOL! Talk about out of my league! Read the edit BTW. Good points, but I kinda do care 'bout them purty graphics.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Re: Go easy on us Jul 28, 2004, 03:41

Sixis,

Windows 98 was originally supposed to support 2GB of Ram. These claims were made before anyone could actually get 2 gigs of RAM. In practice it was found that systems over 1GB often had problems (BSODs, Reboots, typical memory horrors), or didnt work at all. The story behind the Windows 98 memory limits and the related myths and truths, are too many to discuss here but can be found online I'm sure. There was some weirdness with some Intel hardware, and anything over 64MB of ram there for a while. Those issues are long gone now though.

Even though I have never had a reason to try this, I understand you should be able to run 1GB of ram in your machine. Anything over that (as I remember it) puts you into a gray area.

I wish I could be more specific, but I've never tried this myself. When all else fails, Google it. I would look online to see if there are "tweaks" you need to make to run that much memory. Lot's of "work-arounds" made things possible in back in the day.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 03:48.
--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Jul 28, 2004, 03:38
Re: After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:38
Jul 28, 2004, 03:38

Microsoft developpers network academic alliance.
And no, you were not supposed to know what it meant. By the way, read my edit on my post below this.

edit: sp. apparently, I can't type. As for the NTfs vs FAT32 thing. I'd recommand everyone to use NTFS. The only reason not to do it is if you intend to read/write on NTFS partition from another OS (Not every Linux distribution as a perfect compatibility with it, although most can read from it).

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 03:42.

Jul 28, 2004, 03:37
Prez

Re: After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:37
Jul 28, 2004, 03:37
 Prez

Forgive me. MSDNAA?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 28, 2004, 03:33
Re: After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:33

edit: I'll add this. win2000 is going to cost you a lot less, have most of winXP capabilities (other then the 'pretty graphics'), is still supported by everyone, and as a licensing scheme that'll let you install it without any problem on the number of PC you could dream of)

1) Yes, you'll need to reformat/reinstall. Upgrading from a MS OS to an other as always been known to be unreliable. And you're going to want to go NTFS anyway.

2) Can't help you there, got my copy for free from MSDNAA.

3) win98 was made in a time when 512+ MB of RAM barely existed (for user-end desktop PC anyway). It simply can't manage and properly use the extra amount of RAM. It'll help with every drivers. You will see improved performance.

4) I'll recommand google. As far as I know, winXP pro is not limited to a single PC and doesn't require to be 'activated' in any way what-so-ever (I never had to do it anyway). You'll be able to run Linux with your ATi card, just don't expect to be doing any gaming with 'recent' game (ie: anything made this millenium).

And valium? Come on, you can do better then that.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 03:37.

Re: Let's hear from IT Pros
Re: Let's hear from IT Pros Jul 28, 2004, 03:33

FAT32 or NTFS. Whats better. And why?
Well for one, NTFS has large file support (ie: DVD image files). As a home user you probably aren't going to notice a whole lot of difference between the two.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm (google)

Which basically breaks it down that a home user isn't going care whether they use NTFS or Fat32. Only reason I switched to NTFS was because of large file support. Everything else is kind of irrelevant for me, and probably most other home users. Only other thing that would be relevant is how large the hard drives are. Larger the drives the more you are going to want to be using NTFS.

Go easy on us
Jul 28, 2004, 03:26
Prez

Go easy on us Jul 28, 2004, 03:26
Jul 28, 2004, 03:26
 Prez

I'm a '98 user who felt more than a little burned by ME when I upgraded. The thing is, I don't care what OS I use, but when I spend good money on one, dammit, it ought to work. Its not so much a question of whether XP is better- it clearly is. It is simply a matter of getting your money's worth for as long as possible out of your current investment. I don't want to have to upgrade, but I'm going to. There's no way I can sit by and watch others around me play DOOM 3. If it wasn't DOOM 3 it would be Half-Life 2 or... whatever. Eventually '98 was going to be left behind. A lot of the people spewing vitriol are probably just like me in that they just want to play a game on the OS they paid good money for. But once we upgrade, (and we will, sooner or later) this becomes a non-issue and soon we get back to the business of playing games.

- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 28, 2004, 03:21
Re: Let's hear from IT Pros Jul 28, 2004, 03:21
Jul 28, 2004, 03:21

Well for one, NTFS has large file support (ie: DVD image files). As a home user you probably aren't going to notice a whole lot of difference between the two.
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm (google)

After the Valium + Alcohol
Jul 28, 2004, 03:20
After the Valium + Alcohol Jul 28, 2004, 03:20

OK, I'm gonna do this post, then zonk out. I'm gonna be civil and courteous now, and hopefully in the morning some of the wonderfully people here will have answers for these question from a long-time 98 user who now is gonna upgrade.

So don't flame me anymore, I'm doing what you all suggest, I'd just like some help in the process (note: I never said anything bad about those who did upgrade to XP earlier; you're right that we should be encouraged to make our own decisions, but we need real info about things before we know what the right combo of hardware and software is right for each individual.)

I have 3 computers I need to network, all running 98se from the same cd

1 of these computers is the server, it also is the one connected to the internet, for which I use a proxy to get the other two on the net. The server computer is also the best gaming computer. Both of the two others are just barely over the WinXP minimum spec, but I still want to play older LAN games with them (not DOS games, just afraid WinXP will make these machines unable to run both the OS and an older game at the same time, my house particularly likes Co-op source code revised Doom II)

Now, my questions:

1. Do I have to do a reformat/reinstall of what's on my PCs when I upgrade, is it just a good idea? I'll need to get on this quickly....related to this, are hard drives formated in one OS usuable as storage in another? Normally I would take one HD and copy my important files to that (I have 20+ gigs of prOn, mods, and saves that I always transfer by putting two HDs in one computer, reformatting one HD, and then putting the data I need back on with the other.)

2. OK, here's my situation with getting XP. I am graduating the University of North Florida within days (actually, the day Doom3 is supposed to arrive is my graduation ceremony) and my sister will be starting there this fall. I cannot, however, find out if my school has this $5 deal or if the just get regular academic pricing, which is like $75 for pro ed. They don't seem to have home ed. for academic, I don't know why.
Could some kind soul please point me toward a legal (or at least not outright illegal, I generally support IP rights, and John Ashcroft scares me) method of getting this discount. I'll be in North Central Florida until Friday, and then around Miami this weekend, if anyone knows places there to get this cheaper edition of XP I would be really, really grateful.

3. I hadn't heard before that 98 doesn't work well with 512+ megs of RAM, and you know, last week I bought Farcry and two sticks of Geil pc3200 512 and it didn't save games right, but when I removed one stick (thinking it was a compatibility problem on the MB side) everything was completely fine. Can anyone else (industry people are good) clarify the win98 ram situation? XPs vaunted stability aside, I know 1 gig helps when I run some Win98se games, but if there is a serious issue about RAM in 98, then upgrading to support my new ram seems less...excruciating. It will also help my driver woes with my 9800 pro, eh?

4. Ugh...drugs kicking in (but I think I'm still coherent - that is the great gift of college, chemical tolerance) Finally, where can I find a reputable site that details these aspects of XP: A - Microsoft's copy-protection schemes and possible legal (or only semi-legal) workarounds. B - Linux and ATI don't go together well, correct? This would have been a chance for me to try Linux, start with a dual boot or something, but that's moot if ATI doesn't care about Linux. C - Anything else I ought to think about before I start this upgrade. I can't imagine a worse fate than recieving my copy of Doom3 only discover some new problem that forces me to wait even longer to play, So I guess I've got until then to get at least one computer up on XP.

OK, Goodnight everyone, pleasant dreams, I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Re: No subject
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 03:20

I thought everyone heard of Google before, this info is all over the net. Here is the first page that comes up when you google NTFS vs FAT32. It should enlighten you.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

--

Jul 28, 2004, 03:18
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 03:18
Jul 28, 2004, 03:18

Depends on what you consider a "regular basis". Upgrading every 6 months or so, they aren't going to ask questions. Calling every week wanting to re-activate they are going to start asking questions about why.

I even told her that I was putting XP on a 2nd computer for myself. Maybe it was because I had a special OEM version of XP Pro (5 activations before having to call), or she just liked my voice, but she activated it for me. And if one rep refuses, call back and ask another one.

Jul 28, 2004, 03:15
Prez

Re: Let's hear from IT Pros Jul 28, 2004, 03:15
Jul 28, 2004, 03:15
 Prez

Just got done reviewing the dual boot help file in XP(yeah I'm turnin' into a dual boot weenie.) It says dual booting will only work on FAT 32, for whatever that's worth...

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 03:17.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 28, 2004, 03:13
Re: No subject Jul 28, 2004, 03:13
Jul 28, 2004, 03:13

Microsoft cannot force you to buy another WinXP license just because you changed hardware or are reinstalling WinXP.

That's not what I was talking about. Of course you can reinstall, upgrade and even move your XP from one computer to the next. If you're calling in activations from different hardware on a regular basis, MS can refuse to activate your XP. I've talked ot people that have had this happen to them.

Jul 28, 2004, 03:12
Re: Let's hear from IT Pros Jul 28, 2004, 03:12

The Sky is Falling
The Sky is Falling Jul 28, 2004, 03:12

This is such a load of crap. This is totally unfair to all the Win98 users. I mean, how are they going to afford to buy XP? They can barely afford to buy the blank CD they're going to need to pirate Doom 3.

197 Replies. 10 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ] Older