Doomsday!

Doomsday on Fortune is an article on the fortunes of DOOM 3 (thanks Mike Martinez). Here's a bit revealing that a little Carmack is on the way:
In an even more troubling sign for id's future, Carmack has begun to give indications that he's getting bored. Married since 2000, he's expecting his first child in August. And he has spent the past three years devoting 40 hours a week to Armadillo Aerospace, his four-year-old company that is working to develop customized rocket ships. "If I wasn't doing what I'm doing in videogames, someone else would within a year or two," says Carmack. "In aerospace things are still being done the same as they were 50 years ago. I feel that I can really make an impact in that field."
View : : :
50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re:
Jul 24, 2004, 21:55
Re: Jul 24, 2004, 21:55
Jul 24, 2004, 21:55

Thanks for the heads up, Ray:)

They had a deal with the nvidia 6800 as well, but all the displays are promoting the ATI X800Pro...

Either way, I can't afford a new videocard right now... even if I do stop eating... lol

Re:
Jul 24, 2004, 08:51
Re: Jul 24, 2004, 08:51
Jul 24, 2004, 08:51

Pre-order boxes are produced in quantity a few months before release and then shipped out to the stores with a good chunk of them set aside for the online pre-orders. If everything is on track, you can start mass producing the non-gold master materials like the box, instruction booklet, and insert(s) as well. Yeah, this occasionally means your game ships with outdated information, feature claims, etc.

As for the game itself, it really varies from title to title. At the low end, the title is shipped next-day, it gets stocked in the early morning, and the game is on the shelves the day after the "official" ship day.

For larger titles, everything gets finalized, production is started, and the title is shipped in bulk to all the warehouses and stores quite some time in advance. This is especially common when the title is eagerly anticipated, a specific date is given by the publisher in all its marketing, and if a title is said to be available for pickup at 00:00 that day.

Just like any other book/CD/game/whatever, how do they manage to have a title ready at 00:00 that day? Clearly, UPS/FedEx/Crappy DHL did not make nation-wide deliveries to every single store at 23:00 midnight. The given item had been in-store for quite some time...

I order DVDs online all the time; it is usually cheaper than ordering locally and I can get the title early. DVDs "officially" come out in stores (normally) on Tuesday, yet I had titles that do not "officially" come out until this coming Tuesday....that shipped out this past Wednesday.

This does lead to abuses as well. Every Toys R Us game/toy employee is total, outright bastard. Ever wonder why you cannot find a certain item? Yet, you can go to a convention and find some chump with boxes of them? Tha answer "Oh, I work at company X." Any manager of a gaming store can talk to you about playing big games early.

It is all about setting marketing dates for the PR gods and trying to hide the behind-the-scenes action from the sheep customer; you just want them to come in when you tell them to, only when you are ready and good to go.

I thought the big rumor was that nViDiA was going to try and get the Doom 3 bundle, but who knows? Unless ATI has the game in the box, it all seems a bit moot. Besides the 6800 series being significantly faster, ATI's titles have a "Within four to six weeks" timeframe.

Just hoping EB/GS will "break" the release date a few days...,
Ray

-----
Friends do not let EVIL piglets play Doom 3!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Weep for Fallout
Jul 24, 2004, 06:11
Re: Weep for Fallout Jul 24, 2004, 06:11
Jul 24, 2004, 06:11

Correction: Half-Life was developed with a highly modified Quake 1 engine not the Q2 engine. This is aparent in the fact that in Quake 2 objects with transpanency (such as glass on a truck) can move while in Half-Life the transparent polygons are unable to move along with the object. The netcode for Half-Life on the other hand borrows greatly from Quake 2.

Edit: Hyatus already stated this
This comment was edited on Jul 24, 06:14.

Re:
Jul 24, 2004, 04:15
Re: Jul 24, 2004, 04:15
Jul 24, 2004, 04:15

I can't work out the pre-order system they have for this...
today I walked into eb and pre-ordered, put down my $10 and they gave me the box and the pinky demon, do they have the game already, too.... just making me wait to be pains in the ass?

I want the game now, DAMNIT!!!

Oh, and WTF is this bundling it with the ATI X800X or whatever it is....and the 9600XT, come to that?... I got a HL2 voucher with my 9600XT and would have preferred DooM cause I can see it coming...

Re: *IF* Carmack moves on...
Jul 24, 2004, 01:03
nin

Re: *IF* Carmack moves on... Jul 24, 2004, 01:03
Jul 24, 2004, 01:03
 nin

They are trying to take that angle that this is some massive gamble for id and that the future of the company is at stake. Is it really such a gamble?

That was how I felt after reading it.

id could close tomorrow and they'd all walk out rich.

See you in Hell! http://www.doom3.com/

No subject
Jul 23, 2004, 19:29
No subject Jul 23, 2004, 19:29
Jul 23, 2004, 19:29

to be morbidly HONEST, im more concerned about the artists and designers @ ID than I am bout Carmack, the guy is great.. but dayum.

Jul 23, 2004, 18:13
Re: *IF* Carmack moves on... Jul 23, 2004, 18:13
Jul 23, 2004, 18:13

The man is insanely fucking wealthy, if programming no longer floats his boat and he just wants to spend time with his family theres no economic motivator to do otherwise.

That statement basically blows the whole angle of the article out of the water, in my opinion. They are trying to take that angle that this is some massive gamble for id and that the future of the company is at stake. Is it really such a gamble?

...They know what they're doing. They've been doing the same thing for years. Carmack builds an amazing engine, the artists put it to good use, they make good money selling the game, and more good money licensing the engine. The owners are wealthy becuase this model works and they know it. I'm sure when Doom3 sells at "Blizzard" levels, the id guys will be the last to be supprised.

Carmack has stated that he will continue to work in graphics as long as he can find new challenges that need to be solved and that it is still fun to him. I want to say I read somewhere that he said he thinks that's at least another engine or two away.

I thought a funny side-note is tha David Kushner was a "reporter associate" for this article. I enjoyed the book Masters of Doom, but personally I think Kushner came across as a Romero fanboy tom some extent and there have been people trying to say that id will never reach their "glory days like back when Romero was there" for years. I have a feeling Doom3 will finally end that argument for anyone who still thinks it's worth having.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 18:16.

Jul 23, 2004, 17:23
Re: *IF* Carmack moves on... Jul 23, 2004, 17:23
Jul 23, 2004, 17:23

What does ToddH do exactly?

He handles the business end of things: operating costs, licensing deals, management decisions, etc.

Personally didn't find anything wrong with the article, it's simply stating that iD is a highly profitable if uncertain business. Should Doom 3 not live up to sales expectations then the company be in financial trouble. Don't think iD has too much to worry about, the entire fucking internet is salivating in anticipation of August 3rd but on the off chance that Doom3 isn't as successful as the first then iD will be in trouble. What's so stupid about that?

WTF does Carmack getting married and having a kid have to do with him being bored? "Oh he must be non-commital and bored since he's in love and making babies."

It doesn't have anything to do with him being bored. What the author meant was that Carmack may not stick around much longer because a) he's getting bored B) he has a family now and c) is running his own aerospace business on the side. The man is insanely fucking wealthy, if programming no longer floats his boat and he just wants to spend time with his family theres no economic motivator to do otherwise.

Re: Noob Author
Jul 23, 2004, 15:58
Re: Noob Author Jul 23, 2004, 15:58
Jul 23, 2004, 15:58

Ray wrote (Hi Ray)

As for the article, I give Carmack one last really "new" engine and then I expect him to drop out or, along the same lines, push the "director" title to an extreme and heavily reduce his polygon-thinking time...

I tend to agree, he's been pushing out new 3d engines since I was about 15, and lets just say I'm no longer 21. In addition the comment long the lines of others will do the engine pretty soon anyway is probably true. When W3D and DOOM came out the engine was what truly made the game. Since Q2 I've been mightily impressed with the level design out of id, Bottom line even if JC left to do rockets or whatever id will continue to do well at least for the next 5 years.
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

Re: shit , no
Jul 23, 2004, 15:53
Re: shit , no Jul 23, 2004, 15:53
Jul 23, 2004, 15:53

maybe i'm the only one who missed it, but congrats to John and Anna on the baby.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." - Darth Vader
Smile Like You Mean It

Jul 23, 2004, 15:42
Re: shit , no Jul 23, 2004, 15:42
Jul 23, 2004, 15:42

Oh yeah I just remember the chorus to the Julius Ceasar thing. With the standard three piece black female backup singers crying....

"The deads that you do
Will come back on you
Don't cry Ceasar."

"Bewaaaare the iiiiiides... OF MARCH!"

Jul 23, 2004, 15:38
Re: shit , no Jul 23, 2004, 15:38
Jul 23, 2004, 15:38

Yeah they've got Transformed too but it's like $50 U.S.

Jul 23, 2004, 15:37
Re: shit , no Jul 23, 2004, 15:37
Jul 23, 2004, 15:37

I don't know, but he's cost this "cast" of rappers in the background doing the syncronized dance thing while he actaully raps the text from Julius Ceasar. He's wearing tons of cheesy bling AND he's trying to dance. It's Brilliant! Bewaaare the iiiiides.... OF MARCH! But is Brutus not an honorable man.. honorable man... honorable man.... NO!

No subject
Jul 23, 2004, 15:36
No subject Jul 23, 2004, 15:36
Jul 23, 2004, 15:36

thats a good link - i might grab that... but I need to get something with the full "transformed man" track list too

thanks!

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

shit , no
Jul 23, 2004, 15:33
shit , no Jul 23, 2004, 15:33
Jul 23, 2004, 15:33

at one point i was searching out everything I could find with Shatner in it (one of my favorite actors - him and Bruce Campell in a movie would be LEGENDARY)

and at somepoint I saw a clip of Shatner rapping in "spanglish" about something - was this the same Ceasar deal?? i never found out what the clip was from, but it was just brilliant - i was dumbfounded as I watched

- SUBHUMANS

Re: No subject
Jul 23, 2004, 15:31
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2004, 15:31

"a g-g-g-g-girl with KALEIDESCOPE EYES!"
"a g-g-g-g-girl with KALEIDESCOPE EYES!" Jul 23, 2004, 15:31

will do - im gonna start work on it as soon as i get the source material...

- SUBHUMANS

Jul 23, 2004, 15:29
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2004, 15:29
Jul 23, 2004, 15:29

Hey anybody seen the "Free Enterprise" movie where Shatner is trying to pitch a script for a musical Julius Ceaser, but in rap. The beauty is, he ends up rapping the thing at the end. Terrible movie but worth a watch just to watch Shatner rap. "Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend...me...your EARS!!! Priceless

Jul 23, 2004, 15:21
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2004, 15:21
Jul 23, 2004, 15:21

If you do make a techno version, space captain, be sure to get it up on the web and send us the link.

Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Carmack
Jul 23, 2004, 15:19
Carmack Jul 23, 2004, 15:19
Jul 23, 2004, 15:19

Only thing I'll add is, for anyone who read Masters of Doom, you'll remember he's been saying for years, since back in the Romero days, that he's bored with game engines or doesn't think there is any new tech to build on. Then he learns some cool new tech and off he goes. Nothing new there.

50 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older