Derek Smart and Freespace 3?

A speculative question from 3000 AD's Derek Smart on the Adrenaline Vault Forums (thanks Rake) polls interest in him acquiring the rights to Freespace 3, making the following statements in a pair of posts:
....Derek Smart, yeah, that would be me, got the license from my friends at Interplay (a publisher I had very good experiences with); would you buy Freespace 3 if I made it?

Discuss. Rave. Rant. Argue. But this is something I am seriously considering, given that it looks like Interplay has started off loading properties (starting with Fallout3). I mean, just think. Would you rather see this legacy license fall into the wrong hands?
I have already contacted my Interplay contact about it btw.
View : : :
242 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older

Re: Idea
Jul 15, 2004, 21:31
Re: Idea Jul 15, 2004, 21:31

How much do you all think Interplay is selling these properties for? Maybe the people making the source code project could outbid Smart, make the true FS3, and then make some cash! Aren't there any rich, crafty fans out there?

I'm willing to bet he won't get it. The franchise is just too well respected and remembered that I'm sure some influential people will be calling in some favors to Interplay to keep it away from him at all costs. Freespace 3 will get made one day, just not by Mr. Smart.

In regards to the way Derek is treating the FS2 community, I admit they're being a bit on the whiny side but these people have spent a huge amount of time, personal resources and love into taking the game and keeping it alive. Unfortunately dereks people skills are zero as he can'tt see that they're just asking (albeit in a whiny demanding manner) to be included in some of the decision making of FS3 if it ever happens (which it won't of course).

Predictably he is now threatening banning people in a forum that is not his own. I can't wait until the magic "my attorney" spell is summoned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
What Would Fred Do?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: No subject
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 21:31

he did happen to have alot of people supporting him and defending him over there, those people must be out of their minds

Probably from his BC forums...where he has brainwashed them into his bidding servants (By giving them l33t BC forum powers) who wander around random forums defending Derek to the death!

This is so not going to happen
Jul 15, 2004, 21:29
This is so not going to happen Jul 15, 2004, 21:29

"Failed game developer turns to flaming to prove self-worth".

That's the headline, kids.

This guy doesn't have the money for a proven license like FS, and doesn't have the talent to develop a AAA title.

By posting his thoughts online, he's just alerted larger publishers to the availability of the license, and they will now outbid him.

Kittens!

Riots in the streets of HLP
Riots in the streets of HLP Jul 15, 2004, 21:29

As of one minute ago, HLP (the FS2 community hub) just got the most users online ever, breaking the previous record which was established just an hour ago.

Jul 15, 2004, 21:28
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 21:28
Jul 15, 2004, 21:28

Feh @ me...I must be crazy, but...

In all fairness, I did just read through the first half of the AVF thread and Derek has been fairly courteous with the members, much more so than the members have been in return.

Between no Freespace 2 sequel and a DS Freespace 2 sequel, I would rather see what DS might come up with. I have some obvious concerns over his previous games in comparison to how I hold the Freespace franchise, but what the hell? It is not like some "big" developers have not managed to botch a much-loved series.

Obviously, meaning no direct disrespect to DS, I wish that Volition still had a passion and substantial financial gain for making more Freespace games.

Shrugging,
Ray

-----
Appreciate everything - EVERYTHING - you have.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Idea
Jul 15, 2004, 21:25
Re: Idea Jul 15, 2004, 21:25
Jul 15, 2004, 21:25

"Maybe the people making the source code project could outbid Smart, make the true FS3, and then make some cash! Aren't there any rich, crafty fans out there?"

Their trying to see how much they can raise from a base of 5000 members. Apparently they've got $1200 from 12 right now. It really is war over there, it's crazy!

No subject
Jul 15, 2004, 21:18
No subject Jul 15, 2004, 21:18
Jul 15, 2004, 21:18

Browsing AVault right now it becomes apparent to me that Derek Smart has some rather curious "fans".

he did happen to have alot of people supporting him and defending him over there, those people must be out of their minds

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Jul 15, 2004, 21:16
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 21:16
Jul 15, 2004, 21:16

well, very simply, if derek does get his hands on it, i will destroy every freespace 3 box i see, and i encourage everyone to do the same

Idea
Jul 15, 2004, 21:13
Idea Jul 15, 2004, 21:13
Jul 15, 2004, 21:13

How much do you all think Interplay is selling these properties for? Maybe the people making the source code project could outbid Smart, make the true FS3, and then make some cash! Aren't there any rich, crafty fans out there?

ohmygodNOOOOOOO-
Jul 15, 2004, 21:05
ohmygodNOOOOOOO- Jul 15, 2004, 21:05
Jul 15, 2004, 21:05

Browsing AVault right now it becomes apparent to me that Derek Smart has some rather curious "fans".

I sincerely hope that's just Smart blowing hot steam in regards to shutting down Ferrium. Heck, I hope he's blowing hot steam about even touching the rights to FreeSpace. The way he's pratically wrote off the entire FS2 community is repulsive.

Re: As for that stupid Ethernet port...
Jul 15, 2004, 21:03
Re: As for that stupid Ethernet port... Jul 15, 2004, 21:03
Jul 15, 2004, 21:03

StreetPreacher, check out the Freespace Source Code Project:

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=50
Latest 'official' release: http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23953
Wiki (Documentation): http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/

Better graphics, specular and glowmapping, better use of hardware acceleration, Multiplayer support...it's all there. If you have any trouble post a thread there and I'll help you get set up.

No subject
Jul 15, 2004, 20:58
No subject Jul 15, 2004, 20:58
Jul 15, 2004, 20:58

jesus, he actually said that!? (refering to quote in rictor's post)

what an asshole!

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Re: third eye blind
Jul 15, 2004, 20:53
Re: third eye blind Jul 15, 2004, 20:53
Jul 15, 2004, 20:53

Let me assure you of one thing that you can go to sleep with tonite. I have FULL intentions of getting this license. If I DO get it, you and your teenny leetle friends on your Ferrous Oxide project, are effectively, shutdown because I don't piss around when it comes to IP properties. You would do well to ask around. I've sued publishers for less and I have attorneys around the world, literally on speed dial.

What a mother fucker. For those of you who don't know, this is reffering to the Freespace Source Code Project (SCP), a project to better the game engine (which is working marvelously) and the Ferrium Project (FE2), an effort to build a whole new engine which would be superior to even the SCP-ified Freespace 2 engine.

Basically, he's saying that if gets the license, the dozens of mods, campaigns, engine improvements and so forth would be fucked. 5 years of the fans work, and this asshole with his ego the size of a planet is threatening to shut it all down.

Just so we're clear, the Source Code Project is not mediocre changes. The look of the engine has been upgraded almost to modern standards. Working from a 5 year old engine, if amazing what has been accomplished, and even better stuff is to come.

Re: Dropped a load (in my pants).
Jul 15, 2004, 20:51
Re: Dropped a load (in my pants). Jul 15, 2004, 20:51
Jul 15, 2004, 20:51

God I hope Smart doesn't get this. I haven't personally played his games and have never heard of him before in my life personally, but I've read shit reviews of his games before, and if his personality is any indication of how he runs bussiness, the future of Freespace is more grim than I ever thought it would be.

Re: Dropped a load (in my pants).
Jul 15, 2004, 20:43
Re: Dropped a load (in my pants). Jul 15, 2004, 20:43
Jul 15, 2004, 20:43

You guys should skim through that forum, it hillarious. First DS asks if anybody would go for it if he dev'd. The asslicking and ego feeding begins but then the dissidents begin to arrive and our boy loses his cool as usual. (I love that he's so predictable) Long story short...

He goes from would you buy my game? Input please. To this in less than 6 pages.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Derek Meek:
(yes my display name is my real name as well)

Absolutely positively do not touch the freespace franchise. We're terribly sorry but we have never been impressed with your work and we will not accept any freespace game developed by you.

One Derek to another: Keep your hands off
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek. Siddown.

First of, nobody asked you.

Second, you have NO say in it.

Thirdly, as soon as you evolve from the small corner of the obscure part of the net and start actually writing your own original works instead of working off someone else's code base (the Freespace2 code), you can talk about what you want, can and cannot do etc.

So, please, spare me the crap. You're not impressing me or anyone.

.....we will not accept any freespace game developed by you.

That made me laugh so hard, I spewed coffee through my nose. No, really.

One Derek to another: STFU

It's good to have him back ain't it?

No subject
Jul 15, 2004, 20:41
No subject Jul 15, 2004, 20:41

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Re: As for that stupid Ethernet port...
Re: As for that stupid Ethernet port... Jul 15, 2004, 20:41

Would I buy it? God no.

And that's saying a lot, being as though the first 2 games were nothing short of exquisite. I never will understand why they weren't more successful, and often think how wonderful it would be if they would make another installment with all the best that today's computing power and DirectX 9 extensions have to offer.

But with him? Maybe if it was released to universal acclaim (including the existing FS community).

Hey - does anyone know if there are mods for FS1 and/or 2 that upgrade the ships to higher poly/texture rez?

Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 20:41

According to the Avault forum, there's a near riot on the FS forums at the news.

I can voutch for that. The thread grew to like 9 pages in a matter of hours. By the time I post one message, there are already 5 more to be read. And its also produced several spinoff threads, one of which is "How much would you actually be willing to pay to buy the Freespace license."

Go there now, its a fookin' madhouse :D:D

Re: Oh my
Jul 15, 2004, 20:35
Re: Oh my Jul 15, 2004, 20:35
Jul 15, 2004, 20:35

And watch for his forthcoming book, entitled "How to Buttf*ck a License in 10 Easy Steps"

Jul 15, 2004, 20:31
Re: No subject Jul 15, 2004, 20:31
Jul 15, 2004, 20:31

According to the Avault forum, there's a near riot on the FS forums at the news. Not to worry though, the ass licking fan boys are protecting our Derek and him *snicker-smirk* P.H.d. It can't beleive he actually used that in his sig. ROTFLMAO

242 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older