Derek Smart and Freespace 3?

A speculative question from 3000 AD's Derek Smart on the Adrenaline Vault Forums (thanks Rake) polls interest in him acquiring the rights to Freespace 3, making the following statements in a pair of posts:
....Derek Smart, yeah, that would be me, got the license from my friends at Interplay (a publisher I had very good experiences with); would you buy Freespace 3 if I made it?

Discuss. Rave. Rant. Argue. But this is something I am seriously considering, given that it looks like Interplay has started off loading properties (starting with Fallout3). I mean, just think. Would you rather see this legacy license fall into the wrong hands?
I have already contacted my Interplay contact about it btw.
View : : :
242 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older

Re: FreeSpace's Maginot Line, July 2004
Jul 17, 2004, 19:09
Re: FreeSpace's Maginot Line, July 2004 Jul 17, 2004, 19:09
Jul 17, 2004, 19:09

As disgusting as it is, I think the FS community must more or less concede defeat. As much as the fans might hate to become just more groveling bootlickers before Mr. Smart (as some "FS fans" *cough* apparently did rather early in the flame war ), I think it's better they stow away their pride and zealousness to protect a franchise that has every right to be defended than risk several years worth of MODs and artistic work being erradicated because they couldn't refrain from dishing out the criticism. Note that I'm not saying everyone should simply acquiesce to the demands of a socially-challenged bully because fighting it takes work. I'm just saying sometimes you shouldn't risk so much for a Phyrric victory.

Go on and make FS3, Mr. Smart. Just don't ruin the community.

Well - generally speaking - we know this. It's pretty obvious that, at the end of the day, we have no real say in it. What most of us are focusing on, is letting people know what we've done in terms of modding the game and improving the engine.

That way we'll kind of have a legacy of our own - if Derek Smart does make FS3, and it turns out to be awful, or even just less than AAA, we'll be able to remind people of how good FS1 & 2 are.

On a side note, there are a number of community projects releasing what will amount to standalone games, using the modified FS2 code - in particular the TCs for Star Wars, Babylon 5, Homeworld and Wing Commander.

I'd advise anyone who has an interest in FS2 or the above to check out http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hlp/ , because we can always use more members

FreeSpace's Maginot Line, July 2004
Jul 17, 2004, 17:51
FreeSpace's Maginot Line, July 2004 Jul 17, 2004, 17:51
Jul 17, 2004, 17:51

As disgusting as it is, I think the FS community must more or less concede defeat. As much as the fans might hate to become just more groveling bootlickers before Mr. Smart (as some "FS fans" *cough* apparently did rather early in the flame war ), I think it's better they stow away their pride and zealousness to protect a franchise that has every right to be defended than risk several years worth of MODs and artistic work being erradicated because they couldn't refrain from dishing out the criticism. Note that I'm not saying everyone should simply acquiesce to the demands of a socially-challenged bully because fighting it takes work. I'm just saying sometimes you shouldn't risk so much for a Phyrric victory.

Go on and make FS3, Mr. Smart. Just don't ruin the community.

Re: Did I miss the party?
Jul 17, 2004, 17:08
nin
Re: Did I miss the party? Jul 17, 2004, 17:08
Jul 17, 2004, 17:08
nin

Oh please. He couldn't flame a Whopper patty if he worked the grill at Burger King.

That was classic!

although I guess I should add the caveat that it may be that Volition can't really comment on this, due to some unknown legal or professional aspect.

Or perhaps they're in negotiations themselves? (I can dream, dammit!)

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

Re: Thoughts WR417H
Jul 17, 2004, 07:28
Re: Thoughts WR417H Jul 17, 2004, 07:28
Jul 17, 2004, 07:28

Yeah- X-Wing Alliance was good. It looks like Volition doesn't really want much to do with the license, though, so
I am behind anyone who is willing to make an honest effort at a true follow-up to the Freespace series. I'll withold judgement until I see the game as it starts to take shape. (Assuming that this supposed deal goes through.)

Well, the HLP admins have wanted a response from the V people, but no luck so far (this is especially valid as Derek Smarts claim to be making a valid sequel if he gets the rights rests on contact with V to establish the storyline, etc).

I have heard another rumour that Egosoft (X2) might be interested in the license. Absolutely no way to back that up, though.

EDIT; To clarify - some of the HLP admins have been trying to contact Volition staff for an opinion on the whole issue - debacle, even. So far with no luck... although I guess I should add the caveat that it may be that Volition can't really comment on this, due to some unknown legal or professional aspect.
This comment was edited on Jul 17, 09:28.

Did I miss the party?
Jul 17, 2004, 02:08
Did I miss the party? Jul 17, 2004, 02:08
Jul 17, 2004, 02:08

Hellbinder, I do try to see things from your point of view, bur unfortunately I can't get my head that far up my ass.

you are all flatly LUCKY that i am not king of the earth.

Gosh, and you'd make George Dubya Bush look competent in comparison, too! It's a pity that modems don't come with IQ tests.

How is Smart at fault for all the total assinine immature crap you are all posting?

Well, I had ordered a self help tape called "How To Handle Disappointment". When the package came, it contained Universal Combat.

So what if he defends himself from you slanderous wretches. More power to him.

Oh please. He couldn't flame a Whopper patty if he worked the grill at Burger King.

Why not the little Sniveling pack of Wolves that most of you are learn to Quit.

Yep, all done for now! Toodles! (here all week / try the veal / tip your waitress)

---------------------------------------------
[No pixels were harmed in the making of this post.]
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

Re: Oh my
Jul 17, 2004, 01:57
Re: Oh my Jul 17, 2004, 01:57
Jul 17, 2004, 01:57

Derek Smart is the most unsuitable candidate on the planet for the Freespace licence. The guy always tries to do too much, and always releases buggy, boring and ugly games. The freespace series is all about great storylines, massive capital ships, big lasers, state of the art graphics and action intensive gameplay, which we all know smart can't possibly accomplish.

IMO is the best space sim (I know its arcadey, but thats the genre ) series EVER.

If he gets his hands onto the licence, I hope that all Freespace lovers write numerous hate mails to smart and interplay.

and I wish Volition would stop making crap like Red Faction II and go back to making Space-sims!

This comment was edited on Jul 17, 02:01.

Re: You people scare me
Jul 17, 2004, 00:29
Re: You people scare me Jul 17, 2004, 00:29
Jul 17, 2004, 00:29

216.... DEREK SMART HAVE MY CHILD.

Jul 16, 2004, 23:26
Re: You people scare me Jul 16, 2004, 23:26
Jul 16, 2004, 23:26

Yeah- X-Wing Alliance was good. It looks like Volition doesn't really want much to do with the license, though, so
I am behind anyone who is willing to make an honest effort at a true follow-up to the Freespace series. I'll withold judgement until I see the game as it starts to take shape. (Assuming that this supposed deal goes through.)

This comment was edited on Jul 16, 23:27.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 16, 2004, 22:15
Re: You people scare me Jul 16, 2004, 22:15
Jul 16, 2004, 22:15

It'd be cool if Volition could pick it up again, but it's been years since they've joined THQ and nothing has happened. I remember somebody mentioned Totally Games in a post; they didn't do too bad with X-Wing Alliance so that'd be a cool choice too.

You people scare me
Jul 16, 2004, 22:08
You people scare me Jul 16, 2004, 22:08
Jul 16, 2004, 22:08

Some of these posts really smack of an unhealthy obsession with this guy. Has any developer ever got as much attention?
If you people really hate him as much as you seem to, why not ignore him? He'd probably stop posting if he couldn't get a rise out of you. For the record, I don't give a crap either way about Derek Smart but I sure can admire a guy for generating so much buzz...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

No subject
Jul 16, 2004, 22:06
No subject Jul 16, 2004, 22:06
Jul 16, 2004, 22:06

Hellbinder, that guy is nuts. Anyone who is a fan of a quality franchise like FreeSpace would react in a similar manner, I'm afraid. How would everyone like it if he announced he was going to buy the rights to Doom or Half-Life?
Granted, reactions on both sides were interestingly hostile, but with a reputation like Smart's I don't think many of the comments and much of the speculation so far has been unwarranted. So clam down. You don't have to read any of it if you feel ill. Go pretend to play king or something.

Re: major suckage
Jul 16, 2004, 20:05
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 20:05
Jul 16, 2004, 20:05

Quote:
154. Re: major suckage Jul 16, 08:09 redmenace

For the record he is threateing us at HLP(http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=50).
We are working on the Source Code for the FS2.
------------------------------------
I would like to post a correction and a comment.
I didn't fully realize what is going on. He is not attacking HLP. Everything is highly polarized right now.
Will everyone please calm down. Please.

Jul 16, 2004, 19:36
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 19:36
Jul 16, 2004, 19:36

you are all flatly LUCKY that i am not king of the earth.
I repeat:
This from one of the only posters on here who posts system specs (an immature trend usually confined to lesser sites) - and yet STILL hasn't managed to get the color and font settings working correctly.
Some 'king' you'd be.
You don't even have the entertainment value of a Don King. and will you update your CATs already?!!?

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Jul 16, 2004, 17:26
nin
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 17:26
Jul 16, 2004, 17:26
nin

What pisses me off even more is that people like YOU will ignore all the EVIL CRAP being posted by these mindless thugs and instead attack me for rebuking them.

You're not going to find any sympathy for Derek here. This should come as no surprise, given his history.

Along the same lines, you won't get much sympathy for defending him, either.

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

Jul 16, 2004, 16:43
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 16:43
Jul 16, 2004, 16:43

Because its freaking RIDICULOUS reading through this crap.
No one's forcing you to read it.

None of these people woud be saying these kinds of things face to face.
Don't be so sure of that...

Jul 16, 2004, 16:29
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 16:29
Jul 16, 2004, 16:29

What pisses me off even more is that people like YOU will ignore all the EVIL CRAP being posted by these mindless thugs and instead attack me for rebuking them.

Now how does that make any sense? answer it DOESN'T

Because they didn't insult me, you did. If you don't mean to insult an entire forum, don't address the entire forum.

Jul 16, 2004, 16:24
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 16:24
Jul 16, 2004, 16:24

Can I have that handle when you're done flying off of it?

Pathetic little twists? FYI, my few posts on this have been polite, I've mostly been conversing about the logic (or lack thereof) of such a plan, and haven't said a damn personal thing about anyone.

So how about you take your flaming ass out of here until you can learn not to toss childish overgeneralizations like a brat throwing a tamtrum.

Whatever dude...

If you are not one of the pack rats then i am not addressing you am I. What i said needs to be said. Because its freaking RIDICULOUS reading through this crap. None of these people woud be saying these kinds of things face to face. Its all becuase they have no accountability and can "get away with it". Yeah that pisses me off.

Now how does that make any sense? answer it DOESN'T

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
The Whales name is Bob.

Jul 16, 2004, 16:19
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 16:19
Jul 16, 2004, 16:19

Can I have that handle when you're done flying off of it?

Pathetic little twists? FYI, my few posts on this have been polite, I've mostly been conversing about the logic (or lack thereof) of such a plan, and haven't said a damn personal thing about anyone.

So how about you take your flaming ass out of here until you can learn not to toss childish overgeneralizations like a brat throwing a tamtrum.

Jul 16, 2004, 16:12
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 16:12
Jul 16, 2004, 16:12

I am still trying to figure out just what the hell is wrong with so many of you people. "smart does not know when to Quit"??? You have to be kidding me!! Why not the little Sniveling pack of Wolves that most of you are learn to Quit.

None of these assinine posts by any of you are warranted. You people are no different than any other blood thirsty mob with no common sense or self control. Its pathetic.

How is Smart at fault for all the total assinine immature crap you are all posting? any of you would respond harshly if provolked like this. In fact YOU pathetic little twits are far more offensive. becuase YOU are the ones making the assinine immature slanderous posts that insite the whole mess... Then you come out with more assinine Flame posts attacking Smart for defending himself.

So tell me.. Why the hell is it that none of you people can see the pattern here? Why the hell do you think its Smarts fault? So what if he defends himself from you slanderous wretches. More power to him.

you are all flatly LUCKY that i am not king of the earth. Because most of you would be in stocks for the remainder of your pathetic little lives. All you guys are doing is wasting other peoples air as far as i am concerned.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
The Whales name is Bob.

Jul 16, 2004, 15:41
Re: major suckage Jul 16, 2004, 15:41
Jul 16, 2004, 15:41

I've been reading his latest posts on AVault. I don't think Smart knows when to quit.

(page 4 of latest flame thread): http://forums.avault.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005487;p=4

Interplay, or whoever, can redeem themselves by not selling the license to this guy.

242 Replies. 13 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ] Older