Counter-Strike: Source Beta Plans

Valve announces plans to begin to beta test the Source version of Counter-Strike. Here's the deal:
COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE BETA 1 COMING SOON

Starting later this summer, Valve will be conducting a limited-time beta of Counter-Strike: Source via Steam. The beta will first be open to subscribers of the Valve Cybercafé Program, and then extended to owners of Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. The next installment of the world’s number 1 online action game, Counter-Strike: Source blends CS’s intense teamplay with the advanced technology of Valve’s Source engine. For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.
View : : :
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: ..
Jul 17, 2004, 00:27
Re: .. Jul 17, 2004, 00:27
Jul 17, 2004, 00:27

No one is probably going to read this but I like to go through my post history everyonce in a while and check the old responses.

Cutedge, I was speaking on personal observance. I [have been counter-strike free since the release of 1.6] was watching a friend getting ready to play a match or scrim against another clan. He steam began to auth/update whatever it does upon joining the server and it took 15 minutes... By then the other clan had left in disgust after waiting for one player. This was at a personal LAN party so net connection problems is out of the question when all the other participants had no problems. I asked him and my other counter-strike friends how often this happens and they rolled their eyes and said "All the fucking time."

Jul 10, 2004, 22:13
Re: .. Jul 10, 2004, 22:13
Jul 10, 2004, 22:13

Well I leave Steam going and it doesn't affect my other stuff. At least, not noticably. I wouldn't place it in the same league as Real Player. I mean, that's low.

After they worked out the bugs of NS3.0 in the first release, it seems like the game is more stable on Steam than it was on WON. It works for me. *shrug*

The 10 minute / hours authentication in Steam has been gone for ages, btw.

I will be looking forward to the "crackers" removing Steam(ing pile of shit) from it and I will gladly play the single player HL2 and Valve can kiss my arse.

Ok, I bought CS:CZ and this is how it works. You can install it from the discs. It is completely standalone. If you want to play online, you have to load it into steam. When you do this, it can copy over the data from that install, either leaving it or deleting it by choice, and then you just play it through Steam. I'd be willing to bet money that it will work the same way with HL2. Meaning, if you don't want to play online it probably will not require steam in any way.

Jul 9, 2004, 14:19
Re: .. Jul 9, 2004, 14:19
Jul 9, 2004, 14:19

Finally some intelligence. I think the main supporters of steam don't use it to be honest with you. Or they simply like beastly programs that can slice, dice, and make french fries all the while simply launching a game. Or perhaps some of the community knows of nothing else. They don't know the good old days of instant game joing. Used to be if I wanted a quick game of Counter-Strike I would double click a favorite server on my All Seeing Eye list watch the console for a brief few seconds and I was in. Now you need to authenticate with steam and other such garbage which can take 10 minutes or even hours for some. "Oh but Sepharo you can just leave steam running and you will always be ready to go and updated with the current patches." Did it ever occur to you that I play other games besides valve products. I like to have my computers attention focused on something else other than the resource hogging steam. Steam joins the list of other vile programs such as Real Player, GameSpy, and Gator. It wants to run your whole computer and in some sort of strange reverse logic it claims to make things "simpler"

Jul 9, 2004, 09:18
nin
Re: .. Jul 9, 2004, 09:18
Jul 9, 2004, 09:18
nin

Ventry, how hard is it to get a friend to burn their relatively recent Steam directory for you? You certainly don't need four hours to download the minor updates.

By why should he have to, just to play the damn game?

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

Jul 9, 2004, 02:28
Re: .. Jul 9, 2004, 02:28
Jul 9, 2004, 02:28

Ventry, how hard is it to get a friend to burn their relatively recent Steam directory for you? You certainly don't need four hours to download the minor updates.

Jul 8, 2004, 20:16
Re: .. Jul 8, 2004, 20:16
Jul 8, 2004, 20:16

I can. I've had one single problem with it--just one. I emailed one of the developers (got his address from the Steam forums) and he sent me a beta .dll file he'd been working on to fix the problem. It worked. Since then, it has worked flawlessly. Server browsing is a clean, simple interface, and the automatic updates are pretty damned convenient. I come home from work, notice there's a new Day of Defeat version available, and it's already downloaded and ready to play.

That's all well and good for you broadband boyz but, what about those of us who don't have a choice?? It's dial-up or nothing. I paid my money for Half-life as such I deserve to be able to play online without the need to install "bloatware". Not that I can install Steam(ing pile of shit) anyway. My internet connection can only stay connected for 4 hours at a time. I am free to re-connect straight away but, Steam(ing pile of shit) is "SUPPOSED" to resume, DOESN'T so, I am left in the lurch once the WON servers go down. Valve will NOT be getting one more cent from me. You can be certain of that. I will be looking forward to the "crackers" removing Steam(ing pile of shit) from it and I will gladly play the single player HL2 and Valve can kiss my arse.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 20:18.

ESA/MPAA
Jul 8, 2004, 17:13
ESA/MPAA Jul 8, 2004, 17:13
Jul 8, 2004, 17:13

You know, it's funny - when that Cybercafe program was first announced, I figured that's somewhat equitable because LAN Centers are simply taking the work of others and making money off it without a site license - like if I were to charge the public $5 an hour to watch my home DVD collection at my house, and the MPAA would come down on that.

Furthering the MPAA analogy, the best I could compare a LAN Center to was a movie theater - but then, hey, it's ridiculous because it's not like LAN Centers get exclusive titles before they're released to the public the way movie theaters do---hrrm.

Now I dislike LAN Centers, as always, for trying to turn LAN gaming into an exclusive business, but with Valve now furthering the concept... Bad move in my opinion.

[edit clarity]
This comment was edited on Jul 8, 17:20.

Re: DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER
Jul 8, 2004, 14:01
Re: DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER Jul 8, 2004, 14:01
Jul 8, 2004, 14:01

not as old as the arguments/comments about steam/hl2 etc. It's like reading a bad book 300 times in a row. I like to see good thoughtful discussion, and if there is one, I'll post good thoughtful posts. Other than that, it's all caps, all gay, all the time

The companies will be very pleased.
STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Re: Balance
Jul 8, 2004, 13:59
Re: Balance Jul 8, 2004, 13:59
Jul 8, 2004, 13:59

Does that make me a fanbo(y/i)?
No, it makes you a normal, rational game player, likewise Two Sheds. How you two found these boards is beyond me - any board with Valve / Steam / Half Life as the title seems to inevitably drains rationality and maturity :D.

Re: DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER
Jul 8, 2004, 10:59
nin
Re: DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER Jul 8, 2004, 10:59
Jul 8, 2004, 10:59
nin

It's getting old, Moog...

There is the theory of the moebius, a twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop time becomes a loop time becomes a loop http://www.loopz.co.uk/

DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER
Jul 8, 2004, 10:27
DOOM3 IS THE BEST GAME EVER Jul 8, 2004, 10:27
Jul 8, 2004, 10:27

YOU DONT KNOW GOOD GAME. I PLAY DOOM 3 AND IS IT BETTER THAN HL2. GABE IS SO FAT HE JUST NEEDS MONEY FOR MCDONALDS. QUIT BUGGING GABE. VALVE IS GOOD. VALVE RAPES THE COMMUNITY WITH A BLOOD SAUSAGE. FANBOYS SUCK. NO THEY DONT. STEAM SUCKS. STEAM WORKS. IM A LOYAL CUSTOMER, NO HE IS. STFU

The companies will be very pleased.
STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Jul 8, 2004, 10:21
Re: .. Jul 8, 2004, 10:21
Jul 8, 2004, 10:21

Can anyone seriously take the stance that Steam is a good thing?

I can. I've had one single problem with it--just one. I emailed one of the developers (got his address from the Steam forums) and he sent me a beta .dll file he'd been working on to fix the problem. It worked. Since then, it has worked flawlessly. Server browsing is a clean, simple interface, and the automatic updates are pretty damned convenient. I come home from work, notice there's a new Day of Defeat version available, and it's already downloaded and ready to play.

Of those 52000 people, how many are only playing it coz they're machine is too old to run DesertCombat, UT2004, CoD etc?

I've got a near top-of-the line system, and can run any current game at high detail/resolution/what have you. Up until a few weeks ago, my online play was limited to Day of Defeat. Why? Because it was fun . Only recently has it been unseated by Red Orchestra. I would wager a guess that the vast majority of Counter Strike players play because they enjoy the game, not simply because they can't run something newer. Remember, newer doesn't equal better, and your definition of "good" isn't universal.

Jul 8, 2004, 09:29
Re: Balance Jul 8, 2004, 09:29
Jul 8, 2004, 09:29

I like using it, on account of it never screwing up for me as described.

Does that make me a fanbo(y/i)?

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 09:30.
"Only J00 can prevent Forum Fires"
-Smokah teh ß3@|2

Jul 8, 2004, 08:39
Re: Balance Jul 8, 2004, 08:39
Jul 8, 2004, 08:39

I guess I'll have to get a small hard drive and install xp/steam when I want to play HL2. Dumb that I should have to even consider that. Why can't they just make steam optional... if it's so good, people will want to use it,

right?

Jul 8, 2004, 06:15
Re: Balance Jul 8, 2004, 06:15
Jul 8, 2004, 06:15

Steam is fine and is a vast improvement over the old interface. The distributng model? Well seems ok not sure what all the fuss is about (if I want a half life 2 I will buy in the shops and probably avoid a download).

There are some really jaded, cynical and ungrateful bunch of gamers out there. Take a chill pill and stop dragging your knuckles on the ground.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 06:16.

Jul 8, 2004, 06:03
Re: Balance Jul 8, 2004, 06:03
Jul 8, 2004, 06:03

There is nothing new in steam, except it sucks.

If you want to see a good distribution model for software with no issues for the client, check out www.Stardock.com.

Steam can piss off.

Re: Same old same old.
Jul 8, 2004, 06:01
Re: Same old same old. Jul 8, 2004, 06:01
Jul 8, 2004, 06:01

I don’t mind them re-doing Counter Strike, it makes sense as for some reason 10s of 1000s of people still play it. I was just hoping for an original multiplayer game to be included with HL2. A kick ass team play one with vehicles. I’m sure modders will come up with some cool stuff, as long as it’s not more fucking awful Counter Strike Clones.

This comment was edited on Jul 8, 06:02.

Jul 8, 2004, 05:57
Re: .. Jul 8, 2004, 05:57
Jul 8, 2004, 05:57

Of those 52000 people, how many are only playing it coz they're machine is too old to run DesertCombat, UT2004, CoD etc?

Will be interesting to see how many people actually play Half-Life II when it comes out, considering its higher machine specs.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

Same old same old.
Jul 8, 2004, 05:39
Same old same old. Jul 8, 2004, 05:39
Jul 8, 2004, 05:39

Wow, Valve is cashing in on Counter-Strike again... theres a switch.

Looking forward to playing Half-Life2, but dreading having to use Steam again. Here's hoping someone does find a way around Steam or that Valve comes to there senses and makes Steam *OPTIONAL*.

GROUND BRANCH
Mature Classic Tactical First Person Shooter

Balance
Jul 8, 2004, 05:29
Duc
Balance Jul 8, 2004, 05:29
Jul 8, 2004, 05:29
Duc

Strange, people complain about publishers sucking the soul out of their favorite games, about huge multinationals forcing recycled console pap on us and assuming we really want another sims expansion or dear hunter 15. Valve are creating another channel, it has different issues, different bugs but it will shake the market up and hopefully lead to better things.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older