Gold - Uru: The Path of the Shell

Myst Worlds reports that The Path of the Shell, the expansion for Uru: Ages beyond Myst, is now gold, finding the news in The Grey Dragon's Blog. No release information is included in this informal announcement. Thanks Frans.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

TPotS and future expansions
Jun 17, 2004, 11:12
TPotS and future expansions Jun 17, 2004, 11:12
Jun 17, 2004, 11:12

Sorry for being johnny-come-lately to this forum. There's so much ground to cover with regards to this that it's ridiculous.

We were all rather traumatized by the closure of Uru Live. I myself had been beta testing for nearly a year, and so the closure marked a major personal loss for me. Nothing like seeing something you've poured your heart into for a year collapse due to "lack of interest".

In the post-mortem, it became apparent that the promotion of Uru just didn't compete well with the other games being promoted at the time--even other Ubisoft games. I've been through the grieving process, from blaming Ubi to blaming myself, but my general belief is that Ubi really didn't know how to promote something like Uru Live.

As far as the live component being buggy, well, yes. Prologue was the final dry-run while they got the systems ready to accomodate the thousands of people that were already flooding in. Cyan had a respectable number of beta testers, and Ubi had more, but the real stress test came with Prologue. Uru was still technically in beta, which is why it was free.

There's a particular contributor to the bugginess that I blame myself for. At one point, during the closed beta, there was the option of more than one Ae'gura. When you went to link there, you could pick from a list of different "instances" instead of just one Ae'gura. That really disturbed the realism of the game to a lot of us, and we shot it down. It just seemed to scream "you're in a video game!" to us. With the benefit of hindsight, it would have dealt with the biggest complaint--people had to wait in line to get to Ae'gura.

Even though a lot of people panned the first expansion, it was a step in my recovery process post-Live. I could at least get back to the places I remembered, although the broken 'heek table in Bevin* was a shock. People who hadn't been in Prologue finally got to go to the places that were hinted at in the original game. It basically brought Uru up to date.

As far as expansion packs after The Path of the Shell, there are two layers to the answer. The official on-the-surface answer is that TPotS will be the last, because that's what it looks like at this moment. The real word though, under the surface, is that it depends on how well TPotS does. Obviously, from Ubi's standpoint (and to a degree from Cyan's), there has to be some sign of money in it.

A lot of the fans are getting together to find creative ways to promote The Path of the Shell. If we can help TPotS do well, we'll boost the chances for future expansions. If we can convince Ubi that there's money in it, we may get Uru Live back someday.

At least that's our hope.

Shorah,

Eric L

*(Trivia: Bevin was the name of the original neighborhood the testers used, and literally the first part of Uru that existed.)

Re: RAARRGGGHHH!
Jun 14, 2004, 13:31
Re: RAARRGGGHHH! Jun 14, 2004, 13:31
Jun 14, 2004, 13:31

On the contrary, the expansion was full of content that was totally new to players that had not seen the online portion, however I will forever be irked by some of the gameplay mechanics Cyan chose for it (i.e. marker hunts).

As for TPOTS, there seems to be many new *fixed* animations and avatar abilities in this new expansion. I really think it will live up to fan expectations, and we'll finally see "new" content (there hasn't been a new age since the game's release, save more areas in the city). I think thats better than anyone could hope for, considering the cancellation and the price of the expack ($20!).

Jun 14, 2004, 11:33
Re: RAARRGGGHHH! Jun 14, 2004, 11:33
Jun 14, 2004, 11:33

the free expantion blows.

Jun 14, 2004, 10:04
Re: RAARRGGGHHH! Jun 14, 2004, 10:04
Jun 14, 2004, 10:04

I love that Ubisoft released the previous free expansion pack and I cannot wait to see the new world(s) in the upoming expansion pack.

Honestly, I for some reason didn't notice that a free expansion had come out. I will give credit where credit's due and commend Ubi Soft on that point. That's a good step in the right direction, but I still believe that they did not do the right thing by offering either credit or refund to those that bought Uru for multiplayer and had it yanked out from under them. I bought a new car a little while ago. If I paid for an option in that car and it shipped without it and Mazda said "Well, we decided in the end to not implement that.", I have a right to a refund for the feature I paid for an didn't get. Technically, I can hand the entire car back and say I don't want it. This isn't a big a thing, but the same principal should apply should it not?

Parallax Abstraction
Technical Consultant, Hardcore Modern and Retro Gamer, Video Game Historian
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction
Twitch | YouTube | Podcast

Re: The Real Story...
Jun 14, 2004, 10:01
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 10:01
Jun 14, 2004, 10:01

Of course there has! But don't tell that to some people! It pokes holes in their argument.

Constructive point. Easy to make too when you don't have a name attached to it. Bite me.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Jun 14, 2004, 10:00
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 10:00
Jun 14, 2004, 10:00

*nods* I agree with Hooley and TheMaTiC. As I do feel the online portion should have been included and working (for those who bought the game for that reason), I am glad it is still going to be available offline. I prefer to pay for it once and play it alone than online anyways.

Fair enough, but the gamers (and there are many) who don't think that way should have at least been able to obtain a refund on Uru for not including all the promised features. I think that should have at least been an option.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Jun 14, 2004, 09:59
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 09:59
Jun 14, 2004, 09:59

You seem to be under some illusion that all additional content beyond what came in the box was going to be free. That’s just plain wrong. The two differences between the content then and the content now: 1. You were going to be able to play it online with your friends, 2. You were going to pay for it, over and over every month.

I was not under the impression that the content was going to be free. I believe that the content was going to be delivered in a manner in which it wasn't. That is just plain wrong. Do you not have any problem with Ubi Soft hyping and marketing a product with features that were then cancelled because they didn't feel like finishing them? That's my main point here.

So, the content is diminished now that you can’t play it with friends, but you’re only paying for it once. Consequently, how I prefer to the play the game anyway. Sounds like a decent trade off.

To you perhaps yes. But many people bought the game for the multiplayer (I personally know several who weren't all that interested in single player) and have been slapped in the face with the cancellation of it. It's great that you prefer it in single player and hey if that's the case, go ahead and pay for the expansion. The fact remains however that bailing on the multiplayer portion after shipping the title and then expecting those players to pay to play additional content that they didn't want to play in that fashion is ridiculous. But I suppose that the expansion's sales will tell the true story and that's the best way for players to express how upset they are, if they are.

To say they should give it away free is ludicrous. To say the game shipped incomplete is ludicrous. To say a company should go ahead and run a service for months on end at a loss is ludicrous.

The game did ship incomplete! The multiplayer portion which was a large part of the marketing hypr did not work properly and was then removed from it, despite the boxes in the stores still talking about it. How the did the title ship complete?

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
This comment was edited on Jun 14, 10:02.
Parallax Abstraction

RAARRGGGHHH!
Jun 14, 2004, 06:31
RAARRGGGHHH! Jun 14, 2004, 06:31
Jun 14, 2004, 06:31

I really enjoyed Uru; it looked great and the FPS mode really helped open up the world. Excluding "Wow!" factors relevant to time of release, I think it is probably the best Myst game thus far.

I love that Ubisoft released the previous free expansion pack and I cannot wait to see the new world(s) in the upoming expansion pack.

Thinking Myst is great for taking the player to new, fantastical worlds,
Ray

-----
"You're worried about morals? Beat them senseless and steal their clothing, dammit! Steal! Steal!!"
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Jun 14, 2004, 06:25
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 06:25
Jun 14, 2004, 06:25

Hasn't there been a free expansion released for it already?

Of course there has! But don't tell that to some people! It pokes holes in their argument.

Jun 14, 2004, 04:12
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 04:12
Jun 14, 2004, 04:12

*nods* I agree with Hooley and TheMaTiC. As I do feel the online portion should have been included and working (for those who bought the game for that reason), I am glad it is still going to be available offline. I prefer to pay for it once and play it alone than online anyways.

Hasn't there been a free expansion released for it already?

This space is available for rent

Jun 14, 2004, 02:08
Re: The Real Story... Jun 14, 2004, 02:08
Jun 14, 2004, 02:08

You seem to be under some illusion that all additional content beyond what came in the box was going to be free. That’s just plain wrong. The two differences between the content then and the content now: 1. You were going to be able to play it online with your friends, 2. You were going to pay for it, over and over every month.

So, the content is diminished now that you can’t play it with friends, but you’re only paying for it once. Consequently, how I prefer to the play the game anyway. Sounds like a decent trade off.

To say they should give it away free is ludicrous. To say the game shipped incomplete is ludicrous. To say a company should go ahead and run a service for months on end at a loss is ludicrous.

You do want Ubi soft to exist and make new great games don’t you?

Jun 13, 2004, 21:26
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 21:26
Jun 13, 2004, 21:26

That isn't the "real story". If you're going to pretend to be a "Video Game Historian", then you mind as well allow a few facts to enter your history.

Revenue - Expenses = Profit. No profit = can't keep service up. They simply were not going to make enough money to continue to keep Uru Live going. Period. All of the extra content, which you were going to pay for anyway with a monthly fee, is coming out separate of the service.

The way I see it, they're doing Uru fans (and developers) a favor.

And there is one of the major problems with many gamers today. It doesn't matter that the game was shipped incomplete. It doesn't matter that gamers were paying for features that weren't done testing yet. It doesn't matter that many gamers who bought the title for online play were screwed over by Ubi and didn't even get an apology for it, they're actually doing us a favour! I know a great many facts about gaming and one of the ones I know is that the main reason publishers don't feel obligated to correct their mistakes is people like you put up with it and then commend them for just fucking us over less! Many people bought Uru because they were going to be able to interact and play with other people while enjoying that new content. That has been removed, but now Ubi expects you to pay again to have a more limited version of that same content. At worst, the content should be released for free and at best, Ubi should get their promised online play going, period. Problem is that such things will only happen when gamers demand it, not when they just apologise for the publisher sa you are doing and then bash the people who make a perfectly valid point. I'm sure you loved Ultima IX as well.

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction

Jun 13, 2004, 20:59
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 20:59
Jun 13, 2004, 20:59

Whaaaa???

The tale of Ubi and the sodomized Naive Gamer isn't the "real history"? But it seemed so authentic! Thanks for setting me straight.

No it's real, it has happened repeatedly... just look at RvS and Athena Sword. Raven Shield was released buggy as hell and a good number of those bugs have never been fixed. Athena Sword was released with built in hacks available via the console. Dumbass developers left them in the game and have yet to correct it...

UBI= yoU Been Idiotic!

This comment was edited on Jun 13, 21:00.

Jun 13, 2004, 20:41
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 20:41
Jun 13, 2004, 20:41

That isn't the "real story". If you're going to pretend to be a "Video Game Historian", then you mind as well allow a few facts to enter your history.

Whaaaa???

The tale of Ubi and the sodomized Naive Gamer isn't the "real history"? But it seemed so authentic! Thanks for setting me straight.

Jun 13, 2004, 19:38
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 19:38
Jun 13, 2004, 19:38

Revenue - Expenses = Profit. No profit = can't keep service up. They simply were not going to make enough money to continue to keep Uru Live going. Period. All of the extra content, which you were going to pay for anyway with a monthly fee, is coming out separate of the service.

The way I see it, they're doing Uru fans (and developers) a favor.

Jun 13, 2004, 19:37
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 19:37
Jun 13, 2004, 19:37

It's regrettable that the avatar movement, such as how slowly it sidesteps, was based on how the avatars would look to other people online, and then there's no online. I hate the way the avatars move and it makes it annoying to try and play through the single player game. Also, it's a shame they bailed after just one retail expansion. But at least they're implying they're going to release the server source code so fans can make their own Uru Live server(s).

Jun 13, 2004, 17:20
Re: The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 17:20
Jun 13, 2004, 17:20

I bought the game, not for online, but for offline play. While I didn't really care for what I did try of the online while it was beta, I never payed for it so don't feel I am owed any credit for it. Now, if I had payed more at purchase for a month of online time, then I'd be tearing down their door demanding a refund, but credit for something I didn't pay for, nah.

The Real Story...
Jun 13, 2004, 17:03
The Real Story... Jun 13, 2004, 17:03
Jun 13, 2004, 17:03

Ubi: "We know we promised multiplayer that didn't work at shipping time and then we cancelled it without even offering partial credit. But this expansion will be great!"

Naive Gamer: "But isn't it just a lot of the content you promised us in the multiplayer that never happened?"

Ubi: "I said, it-will-be-great!"

Naive Gamer: "OK, I'll bend over now. I take a size 4."

Parallax Abstraction
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Parallax Abstraction
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older