etc.

View : : :

Re: Big-selling war games may carry big
Jun 12, 2004, 06:09
Re: Big-selling war games may carry big Jun 12, 2004, 06:09
Jun 12, 2004, 06:09

The war article said alotta stuff I always thought about other kinds of media, not gaming. You can read LOTS of books and articles written by ex-Army people who talk about how their buddies thought they were John Wayne during the Vietnam War and ran into combat guns blazing.... only to get cut down instantly. Plus I always thought the anti-Japanese racist propaganda could've led kids to feel the same way towards the Vietnamese... after all, they were kids during WW2/Korea (40's/50's), and then went into war for Vietnam (60's) .... (ever see those war posters? Or the Bugs Bunny cartoons?).

Anyway, I hope war gaming and war media in general becomes less popular as entertainment. If it's going to be educational, then OK. Bottomline here is that the vast majority of veterans who have seen combat... do not enjoy having citizens use this stuff as entertainment. I used to read war books written by veterans all the time, because I spent all my high school leisure time playing war games, flight sims and the like. And none of them give you the impression that anything about war is remotely entertaining, and none of them seem to be saying "Hey! make a video game about this so my kid can smile and grin as he blows up people! That doesn't make the reality of war seem like a farce, nope nope." After all those books I got soured on war gaming, not that I don't love COD or DOD. Great games. But still....

Probably the only people who seem to ever feel great about combat are fighter pilots. Their books seem pretty easy-going about the affair. I guess the fact that you're alone in your plane, you don't get the feeling your survival relies on someeone else... as much as other forms of warfare. Meanwhile, you're a "Band of Brothers" when you're an infantryman. If you're a gunner on a bomber, watching dozens of other bombers being shot down.... the sense of your own mortality really sinks in.... so yeah, I guess that's why I can play flight sims without ever feeling weird about it in the slightest. :-P

Date
Subject
Author
Jun 11, 2004Jun 11 2004
Jun 11, 2004Jun 11 2004
Jun 11, 2004Jun 11 2004
Jun 12, 2004Jun 12 2004
  Re: Big-selling war games may carry big