H&D2: Sabre Squadron Announced

Following the project's revelation via a fact sheet (story), Gathering officially announces Sabre Squadron, an upcoming expansion for Hidden & Dangerous 2, Illusion Softworks' World War II tactical shooter, accompanying the announcement with the first screenshot from the project. Update: We contacted Gathering and determined that this project is indeed being developed by Illusion. Here's the announcement, which heralds the always welcome inclusion of cooperative multiplayer support:
New York – June 9, 2004 – Gathering, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: TTWO), today announced that it will release Hidden & Dangerous 2: Sabre Squadron, a new expansion disk for its hit WWII PC title Hidden & Dangerous 2 this fall. Sabre Squadron features nine new single-player campaign missions in four new locations plus the added ability to play all of these nine missions cooperatively over the Internet. In addition, Sabre Squadron features three new deathmatches, three new occupations and two new objective multiplayer missions for up to 32 players, enhanced, more realistic AI, and new weapons such as the German Panzershreck, SAS flare gun, German G43 rifle and the PAK40 cannon.

Released in October 2003, Hidden & Dangerous 2 has sold more than 1 million units worldwide and put gamers in command of a squad of elite British Special Air Service (SAS) commandos as they tackle the most dangerous covert missions of the Second World War. Featuring a mix of first- and third-person action, Hidden & Dangerous 2 offers a deep, tactical squad-based shooter experience in the single-player campaign and extensive multiplayer modes that feature numerous WWII-era weapons and vehicular combat.
View : : :
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jun 9, 2004, 18:00
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 18:00
Jun 9, 2004, 18:00

SP was very good and not buggy at all from waht I remember, cheating (flying) & tking was big problem in multi, is why I gave up but it was no worse then amny other games, I think it became very popular online......

"if you were an admin, you had to get a *consensus* (via a VOTE) to get someone off your server. what kinda COMMIE crap is that?"

is feature, not bug

Jun 9, 2004, 17:38
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 17:38
Jun 9, 2004, 17:38

I didn't have any big problems with Vietcong (apart from copy protection slwodown) dont think it was "buggy" game at all.
um. you could fly and walk through mountains. it shipped without a way to kick players from your server. if you were an admin, you had to get a *consensus* (via a VOTE) to get someone off your server. what kinda COMMIE crap is that?

oh and you gotta love the fact that you couldn't restart the server map once it loaded. i could go on and on, but let it suffice to say that vietcong was a singleplayer game that had an added multiplayer as an afterthought -- make that an eleventh hour afterthought. directplay in your ass, MS.

Jun 9, 2004, 17:05
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 17:05
Jun 9, 2004, 17:05

I have cheap nasty recordable drive and no install problem, what happens when you try to install???

No subject
Jun 9, 2004, 16:18
No subject Jun 9, 2004, 16:18
Jun 9, 2004, 16:18

Dude, I don't have any insider QA/beta testing insight, but the games I've played (Mafia, Vietcong and H&D2) have always impressed me. I get the impression that the PR department isn't calling the shots, and the developers are given a lot of room to take risks and try new things... which is becoming rarer in this age of multi-million dollar game budgets...

Re: The best part?
Jun 9, 2004, 16:14
Re: The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 16:14
Jun 9, 2004, 16:14

Add in my "sucker" purchase that I cannot install.

Yay for selling me a box and CD with label for $30.

Question to the developers: Why is it perfectly acceptable to have a $500 graphics card, but damned suspicious/evil/satanic/demonic/pirate-like to have a $50-$125 recordable drive? Am I too presume that developers have no recordable drives what so ever in thier home/office computers?

Hoping the game fails at this point,
Ray

-----
"You're worried about morals? Beat them senseless and steal their clothing, dammit! Steal! Steal!!"
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=ANF&id=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Jun 9, 2004, 15:57
Sty
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 15:57
Jun 9, 2004, 15:57
Sty

Same here, had very few problems. Enjoyed them all very much. The eye for detail and cinematic elements of these games were all top-notch.

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

Jun 9, 2004, 15:32
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 15:32
Jun 9, 2004, 15:32

I didn't have any big problems with Vietcong (apart from copy protection slwodown) dont think it was "buggy" game at all. But then lots say Mafia was buggy, didnt have trouble with either

not hyping games is odd thing to do in market dominated by hype imo, you have to get gamers interested by showing them screens/movies, that's why everyone knows Call of Duty.. why have just one screen... whats the point???

and games like HD2 probably sell by word of mouth...

anyway 9 mission co-op is great news

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 15:33.

Jun 9, 2004, 15:08
Re: No subject Jun 9, 2004, 15:08
Jun 9, 2004, 15:08

is that also the low-key approach when they went straight from unpatched beta to *gold master status* without even announcing that fact to their 3rd party QA team?

you know something's screwy when your QA is apologizing to testers for not getting the first beta patch out and meanwhile the game is actually on its way to distribution.

gathering has mismanaged many more properties than this one -- and believe me, any success that H&D2 enjoys has little to nothing to do with gathering's "hands off" approach. look at how they botched vietcong. that game shipped with more bugs than a mexican street dog.

No subject
Jun 9, 2004, 14:20
No subject Jun 9, 2004, 14:20
Jun 9, 2004, 14:20

Looking forward to this....H&D2 is one of the few games that genuinely give you a lot of freedom and ways to do things. It's true that you can't rely on the squad AI for much, but the key approach I ended up finding is to maneouver each squad guy into position individually a la Thief, create a disturbance by starting picking people off with the sniper, and then, when the enemy starts honing in on him, ambush the m from another angle with the rest of the squad... very satisfying.

I also like the low key approach of Gathering, no endless stream of Q&As and screenshots...they just focus on the game and deliver... I'm glad the sales figures reflect this.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 14:52.

Jun 9, 2004, 13:00
Re: The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 13:00
Jun 9, 2004, 13:00

Is that the royal 'we' or do you have a horde of unpaid interns your not telling us about Blue?

That's the editorial "we," not to be confused with the Royal kind, much less the multiple personalities kind.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 13:00.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jun 9, 2004, 12:45
Re: The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 12:45
Jun 9, 2004, 12:45

Update: We contacted Gathering and determined that this project is indeed

Is that the royal 'we' or do you have a horde of unpaid interns your not telling us about Blue?

------
Bullets taste like chicken!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

Jun 9, 2004, 12:08
Re: The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 12:08
Jun 9, 2004, 12:08

Also pleasantly suprised to learn this has sold over a mill. It's a great game and deserves it.

Aside from the obvious zero coop support, my only gripe with H&D2 is the same gripe I have with all the squad shooters released, in that you have to mollycoddle your men to succeed.

Jun 9, 2004, 11:54
Re: The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 11:54
Jun 9, 2004, 11:54

They're still gouging us for coop.

Don't know about you, but while I do appreciate the tactical elements of the game, I found the controls clunky and the first person movement extremely awkward. And why is there a strafe/forward/back *movement delay*? Press an arrow key and start moving a second later??

While I'm at it: No ironsight mode for the pistol?

The best part?
Jun 9, 2004, 11:15
The best part? Jun 9, 2004, 11:15
Jun 9, 2004, 11:15

Fabulous. The best part of this whole press release is the news that H&D 2 sold > 1 million copies worldwide. I'm just getting into the game now (2nd campaign) and really enjoying the complexity and detail which are lacking in so many PC games these days.

It's nice to hear an "old-school" PC game can still sell well. I was starting to lose all hope for the PC.

Istari

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older