Specter of a Spector Departure?

Shacknews is reporting that "multiple sources" inform them that Warren Spector "is said to be leaving" ION Storm, reporting the Austin Texas-based developer has also laid off 20-25 employees. Ion Storm Implodes is the headline on a similar story on IGN, which reports on the layoffs, as well as Eidos' explanation that this was a normal staff reduction associated with the completion of the pair of game projects that were underway at ION, quoting the publisher as dismissing the idea that Warren was laid off as well, though they don't actually come out and say he did not quit. They have yet to receive a reply from ION Storm, but this was Eidos' response to questions about Warren's departure:
"Ah rumors... well that sounds like a good one... but it is just a rumor," said the representative. "He certainly has not been laid off."
View : : :
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 28, 2004, 15:34
Re: No subject May 28, 2004, 15:34
May 28, 2004, 15:34

I mostly agree with space captain.

It might be nostalgia, but I get bored very quickly with new games.

Seems like people are more concerned with shiny, spiffy graphics and less interested in fun. People = developers and consumers, which is the problem, idiot consumers.

I didn't expect this to this degree. Back in the late 90s I figured most people would license technology and push it. Some people do, and we get games like Tony Hawk and GTA, great games that had time to put into making a good game after licensing the Renderware engine.

Other people seem to put all their resources into engines and none into the game itself. With so many people doing this they don't make the cash back on licensing because there aren't enough licensing consumers shooting outside of id or epic...

No subject
May 28, 2004, 15:30
No subject May 28, 2004, 15:30
May 28, 2004, 15:30

the entire industry has been going downhill since the advent of graphic accelerator cards... im not saying thats the cause, but since the late 90's PC games have become increasingly derivative, increasingly dumbed down, and increasingly clunky...

I remember when the only people with PC's were "geeks" or "nerds"... I suppose developers had more of an insight into their audience at that time, whereas today you have to pander to the lowest common denominator 1337 posers that pick up "haxor" terminology by association, and couldnt even tell you what Telnet is

we are long due for a renaissance

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: The good ol' days
May 28, 2004, 15:29
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 15:29
May 28, 2004, 15:29

Yeah, it's definitely hard, but you need to spend time remembering what made the original good.

It can be done. Civ2 outpaced Civ. Jagged Alliance 2 outpaced Jagged Alliance. Warcraft 2 outpaced Warcraft.

Granted, these were different genres, but they took what made the first games great and enhanced it. They added rather than subtracted, always keeping the "fun factor" of the original in mind.

Sequels that remove key/defining features rarely work, like Red Baron 2, which removed things such as volumetric clouds. It was rushed out, buggy, and lacking. Instant failure. Hmm, sounds familiar.

May 28, 2004, 15:22
Tom
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 15:22
May 28, 2004, 15:22
Tom

I don't think it was a question of DX being way ahead of its time. I think it was just a great game, and it's hard to make a sequel to a great game that is as good as, or better than the original. The bar is set high because the original was great, and then you have to multiply that by the accumulated nostalgia by the time the sequel actually comes out. And there are about a million other reasons why making a sequel to a good game (or movie or anything) is HARD.

May 28, 2004, 15:10
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 15:10
May 28, 2004, 15:10

Depressing to think that there are "normal layoffs" in the industry. That companies purge people then pick new ones back up. Some kind of chemistry with that, huh?

The gaming industry needs to unionize.

As for Spector, well, I hear Thief is actually good, not that it matters to me, I'm one of the few that found the first two mostly dull.

IW, though, still... I didn't make it too far, I kept running into a bug where I couldn't advance, twice in two separate games. But I wasn't too enthralled while playing that far, it was entertaining, but not compared to the original. Someone from Shacknews claimed that, had IW been the first and DX been the second no one would have complained. I think this is true - IW would have been revolutionary 5 years ago, but it was following in the footsteps of a game that was lightyears ahead of it, and was such a step back.

I guess DX was so far ahead of its time it surpassed its successor.

May 28, 2004, 15:02
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 15:02
May 28, 2004, 15:02

Good ol' Warren will be back. There is no way he will just fade away.
65 BST LFG

May 28, 2004, 14:59
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 14:59
May 28, 2004, 14:59

Oh yeah. All the fanboys that told people to shut up. IW and Thief were fine and the people talking about them were jerks?

If their own corporation thinks they are jokers and dumps them, I guess that shows all of us exactly how gullible and foolish you fanboys are.

When you gonna apologize for the things you said to us?

May 28, 2004, 14:58
Fugazi

Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 14:58
May 28, 2004, 14:58
 Fugazi

I am sorry that you are an idiot.

The CRTC needs to be destroyed.

May 28, 2004, 14:54
Re: The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 14:54
May 28, 2004, 14:54

Who cares if he is gone? It is a good thing he was booted.

Look at the crap called IW and Thief.

Someone needs to stand up and say "ENOUGH! No more crap games"

If I see another mattel barbie game or a singles flirting game or the Tonka Truck simulator on Blues News, I am gonna scream and run down the street pulling my hair out.

The video game industry ought to gather themselves under one organiaztion to make all future video games and call it

Tards'R'Us

This comment was edited on May 28, 14:58.

The good ol' days
May 28, 2004, 14:43
The good ol' days May 28, 2004, 14:43
May 28, 2004, 14:43

I remember a time when I looked and Ion Storm as THE developer in the industry and wanted to work there with a passion. Now, it's good I never got a response to my resume. DX2 was a real disappointment compared to DX1 and with both Randy Smith and harvery Smith gone, things are looking bleak fo the company.

If Wareen really is gone, I wonder if he's still involved with the next Tomb Raider...

Alex
-----------
Spatial Fear
Director/Creative Designer
http://www.planetunreal.com/le/sf/
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older