Ships Ahoy - Thief & Singles

Eidos sends word of the online release of Singles: "Eidos (NASDAQ: EIDSY), one of the world's leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, today announced Singles: Flirt Up Your Life is now available for North America via online download. Singles, developed by the German development company, Rotobee, is an extreme reality simulation game for the PC that takes relationship building further than any other game has before. Eidos, in partnership with Deep Silver, a division of the KOCH Media Group, has made Singles: Flirt Up Your Life for PC available for purchase as of today on major online download sites." They also announce the release of Thief: Deadly Shadows in this press release:
Eidos plc, one of the world's leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, today announced it has shipped to stores across North America the highly-anticipated Thief: Deadly Shadows for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft and PC. Thief: Deadly Shadows is the third chapter in the Thief saga, which originated the stealth gaming genre. For the first time in Thief franchise history, the game will be available on a game console and will feature a third-person perspective. Thief: Deadly Shadows leaves actions, decisions and consequences in the hands of the gamer -- the master thief Garrett.
View : : :
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 25, 2004, 21:25
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 21:25
May 25, 2004, 21:25

Hmm, Singles/Thief - reminds me of the Cary Grant/Grace Kelly movie To Catch a Thief.

Could be a fun game concept - as an American playboy in the south of France, your mission is to seduce wealthy heiresses, then steal their jewels (as well as their virginity).

Hey, I reckon that one's publishable. Any takers?

Kittens!

No subject
May 25, 2004, 21:24
mag
No subject May 25, 2004, 21:24
May 25, 2004, 21:24
mag

Thief 3 got 4 stars from Gamespy and an 8.2 from Gamespot. Keep in mind, now, that Deus Ex 2 also got 4 stars and an 8.0.

May 25, 2004, 21:16
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 21:16
May 25, 2004, 21:16

I'm so jonsing to pick this up, but I simply won't without seeing some more reviews first. I just don't trust ION.

"If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary."
- Malcolm X
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 25, 2004, 20:51
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 20:51
May 25, 2004, 20:51

So, space captain, no other publisher pushes out a variety of genres? It's not like Ion Storm developed "Singles"... they just have the same publisher...

No subject
May 25, 2004, 20:31
No subject May 25, 2004, 20:31
May 25, 2004, 20:31

from the people who brought you "Singles: Flirt Up Your Life" comes an exciting stealth adventure... "Thief: Deadly Shadows"

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

May 25, 2004, 19:57
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 19:57
May 25, 2004, 19:57

From the Gamespy review:

"highlighted by the fact that there isn't any lip-synching in the game. Everybody in Garrett's world must communicate by telepathy, because I never saw a mouth open while a character was speaking"

I have it on good authority that this statement is just flat-out false (that authority being the word of a guy who has played both the final X-Box and PC versions). Things like that make me take anything Gamespy says with a frickin' cup or two of salt.

I'll probably be buying Thief. Most everything I've read so far has been overwhelmingly positive, with just a few niggling negatives (occasionally weird ragdoll physics, for example).

May 25, 2004, 19:48
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 19:48
May 25, 2004, 19:48

"Whether the culprit was the graphics engine or that someone stole all the artistic talent at Ion Storm"

Hahaha thats the stupidest statement I ever heard.

Re: Review
May 25, 2004, 19:41
Re: Review May 25, 2004, 19:41
May 25, 2004, 19:41

I was looking forward to this game, but after reading the Gamespot and Gamespy reviews, I'm not so sure anymore.

Clearly numerous issues exist despite the high scores. The reviewers gave high scores to the story, the missions, the AI, and the atmosphere of the game. "The City" appears mediocre. Inconsistent AI, weird animations, laggy controls, questionable GFX despite steep sysreqs, small levels, and frequent loads are listed as negatives.

Guess I'll wait and read some more.....

Re: Review
May 25, 2004, 19:27
Re: Review May 25, 2004, 19:27
May 25, 2004, 19:27

Wow, if Gamespy will slam a title, it must really suck. In spite of that, they still gave it 4/5 stars.

They didn't slam the title. Here's part of the review's first paragraph. If it's at least as good as the other two, I'm buying it.

"The godfather of stealth-action games is back. Unfortunately, while Thief: Deadly Shadows stands as an equal to any of the previous games in the series, it doesn't exceed them -- nor does it move the franchise forward as much as it was obviously designed to do."

At least some companies have class
May 25, 2004, 19:10
At least some companies have class May 25, 2004, 19:10
May 25, 2004, 19:10

I'm talking about companies like Bioware, of course. If you're going to make a game for both platforms, don't insult the PC community. We don't want to drink your swill. Take the time to ensure that we don't feel like we're playing a port. Shame on you Warren Specter.

Gamespot review...
May 25, 2004, 18:52
Gamespot review... May 25, 2004, 18:52
May 25, 2004, 18:52

May 25, 2004, 18:45
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 18:45
May 25, 2004, 18:45

try reading the review

I have and based upon what I've seen of the game I don't agree with him. Also the guys primary complaint is about the games graphics, if that is the biggest thing he has to complain about I'm not worried because: A) Thief 1 and 2 had shitty graphics at the time of the release and B) I don't agree with his assesment of the artistic quality of the game. Seriously, if you guys want to have any sort of legitimacy in calling Thief 3 shit then don't use graphics as a rallying point. If graphics are what determines whether or not you like a game then how the hell did you enjoy Thief enough in the first place to even care what Ion Storm does with the series? I strongly suggest you read the preview done by Digital Nightfall, his opinion is many times more valuable than some hack at gamespy. If Digital says the game feels and play like Thief and is exactly what LGS wanted to do with the game but didn't have the resources, technology or personnel to do, then what more do you want to hear? The fact that you'd take some random Gamespy editors opinion about Thief 3's graphics over a long, detailed review of the gameplay of Thief by the father of the TTLG just bugs the hell out of me. Deus Ex 2 wasn't great but it wasn't bad enough to justify hating Ion Storm even more than we already hate Gamespy.

This comment was edited on May 25, 18:52.

Cautiously optimistic
May 25, 2004, 18:40
Cautiously optimistic May 25, 2004, 18:40
May 25, 2004, 18:40

For those that missed it the couple of times it was posted in threads, there's a hands on preview from one of the ttlg.com forum peeps that gave me a bit of hope again, enough that I'm willing to give Ion and Eidos one last chance...

the final writeup is here:
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/thief3/danspreview.asp

the original thread on ttlg.com is here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82513

that thread has a lot more immediate feedback as the posts from DigitalNightfall (Dan) who wrote the preview are being made during the trip itself.

Not sure if these have been posted, but here's the 'personal collection' of screenshots from one of the Ion guys...

http://mavra.perilith.com/~faceless/.sux/shots.shtml (warning - location spoilers)

The first 3 are sorta blah, but some of the later ones are quite nice. Doom3/HL2/Stalker nice? No, but they are much prettier than anything I've seen until now. Looking Glass games were always more about gameplay than graphics anyway, so that's the least of my concerns with a new Thief game.

Eidos and Ion will get my money one more time, drop the ball on this one folks and I'll never buy another product from you ever.

Review
May 25, 2004, 18:39
Review May 25, 2004, 18:39

Wow, if Gamespy will slam a title, it must really suck. In spite of that, they still gave it 4/5 stars.

I'll wait and read a few more reviews before I decide whether I want to spend my cash on this potential disaster.

Re: Extended remix
Re: Extended remix May 25, 2004, 18:39

Yay, a crappy Sims wannabe gets mentioned in the same breath as one of PC gaming's vaunted franchises. Eidos and Ion Storm have sunk to a new low.

After the Deus Ex 2 debacle, I had canceled my preorder to Thief 3. Looks like I made the right decision. You know if Gheyspy is criticising the look and feel of some game, it must be really bad. Scottish Martial Arts, hope ya enjoy Thief 3. I on the other hand, am going to save my money and just download the FREE quality third-party content for the first two versions of the franchise.

You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Extended remix
May 25, 2004, 18:30
Extended remix May 25, 2004, 18:30
May 25, 2004, 18:30

Let's hit the fuckin' road!

Loud enough to knock ya down!

Drag racing, drag racing!!

No subject
May 25, 2004, 18:16
No subject May 25, 2004, 18:16
May 25, 2004, 18:16

try reading the review, genius

"Everything in Deadly Shadows, the streets, the walls, the windows, the tree branches, looks as if it's been slightly compressed in a car crusher, all blocky, unnatural angles and too many straight lines. I understand that compromises have to be made to insure graphic speed, but that explanation doesn't wash, as Deadly Shadows' graphics are pretty choppy. It's never enough to hinder gameplay, but when you compare the graphic performance of Deadly Shadows to any other action game, first- or third-person, this game comes up short.

Character models also come up short. First, all of the NPCs in the game look like wax dummies, an impression highlighted by the fact that there isn't any lip-synching in the game. Everybody in Garrett's world must communicate by telepathy, because I never saw a mouth open while a character was speaking. Their animations aren't a whole lot better. Following up on the "wax dummies" metaphor, characters in Deadly Shadows walk and run with a stiff, unnatural gait, and seem to glide on the cobblestone streets without actually making contact. The whole thing brought back frightening memories of animatronic characters in Disneyworld.

Then there's the artistic design of the world. Even the worst graphics engine can be made up for with inspired artwork, texturing, and architecture. Alas, these too are conspicuously missing in Deadly Shadows. Whether the culprit was the graphics engine or that someone stole all the artistic talent at Ion Storm, Deadly Shadows' architecture bears a mind-numbing sameness, an oppressive concrete realism that makes one think of Soviet buildings at the height of the Cold War. Areas that should soar and be beautiful, such as Hammerite cathedrals and the Keeper libraries, just ... well, don't. Areas that should be terrifyingly alien, such as Pagan zones, are just crumbling city graphics colored by green glowing balls."

This comment was edited on May 25, 18:16.
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

May 25, 2004, 17:58
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 17:58
May 25, 2004, 17:58

Dingaling dang my dang long ding dong

Tikki tikki got a gun

OT: My copy has shipped and will be here tomorrow. Kinda have to wonder what the Gamespy reviewer is smoking when he says the game is outright ugly. Unless the screenshots and movies released so far are from a different game Thief looks good, not Far Cry good, but good.

Hmph
May 25, 2004, 17:56
Hmph May 25, 2004, 17:56
May 25, 2004, 17:56

First review I've seen of Thief III...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/518035p1.html

Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

May 25, 2004, 17:55
Re: No subject May 25, 2004, 17:55
May 25, 2004, 17:55

Dingaling dang my dang long ding dong

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older