Out of the Blue

I watched the 10th anniversary edition of Reservoir Dogs yesterday, which has resulted in a peculiar side-effect. Since watching, the song Like a Virgin keeps running through my head. As disturbing as it is to find a wretched Madonna song haunting one's subconscious, this is that much worse. First, because the song itself doesn't actually play at any point in the movie, its invasion seems that much more insidious. Second, the context of the discussion of the tune in the movie just keeps conjuring up unfortunate imagery. *Shudder*.

Links of the Day: Bad Neighbour.
Stories of the Day: Boy fends off alligator attack with swift punch.
'I'm drunk, officer, but my donkey's in charge'. Thanks Dave Claycomb.
Sherpa sets record Everest time.
Science!: Statins in Aisle 7?
Dog genes tell surprising tales. Thanks zombie69.
NASA wants to add robot planes to nation's air traffic.
Image of the Day: BananaPhone. Thanks Ant.
Media of the Day: Shrek 2 - The First 5 Minutes. Thanks Ant.
Auction of the Day: CELEBRITY AIR!!!!. But where's the A-List air? Thanks Michael Lemke.
Follow-ups: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD Never once using the words "mad cow."
Urban Legends Reference Pages (Andy Kaufman). Thanks Z. Well duh.
California town for sale on eBay finally sold.
Thanks Mike Martinez
View : : :
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

Reservoir Dogs
May 21, 2004, 11:30
Quboid

Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:30
May 21, 2004, 11:30
 Quboid

Reservoir Dogs is a classic movie, even the bit about the song. What are the Kill Bills like? I was considering buying KB1 and going to see KB2, but then I realised I should wait and get the extended uncut extra director's limited special edition pack with both KB1 and KB2.

BTW, 20th aniversery? Wasn't RD released in 1992? (EDIT: thought it was 1994 which would make it 10 years, but it's actually 12...)

Just been watching Das Boot, now 1/3 of the way through nearly 5 hours of classic war movie footage.

Quboid
This comment was edited on May 21, 11:34.

Reservoir Dogs
May 21, 2004, 11:31
Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:31
May 21, 2004, 11:31

20th anniversary? No way! It hasn't been that long...(has it?)

Bad Neighbour
May 21, 2004, 11:34
Bad Neighbour May 21, 2004, 11:34
May 21, 2004, 11:34

That's some seriously disgusting neighbour...

Amazing what people will live in. I can't imagine sleeping in a place like that...

Fast Food Nation
May 21, 2004, 11:37
Fast Food Nation May 21, 2004, 11:37
May 21, 2004, 11:37

Hey Blue, I picked this up last week and finished it a couple days ago. There was nothing in there that really shocked me or will prevent me from going to McDonalds in the future.

I'm a little disppointed, I was expecting something like The Jungle but instead it was mostly just a guy ranting.
"TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"

Re: Reservoir Dogs
May 21, 2004, 11:39
Re: Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:39
May 21, 2004, 11:39

20th anniversary? No way! It hasn't been that long...(has it?)

Oops, nope, it was 10th... I agree that 20 years seems too long, but 10 (even two years ago) likewise seems short. It feels to me like somewhere in that 12-year span Quentin took about 10 years off... guess that just shows how much he was missed.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Re: Fast Food Nation
May 21, 2004, 11:43
Re: Fast Food Nation May 21, 2004, 11:43

Hey Blue, I picked this up last week and finished it a couple days ago. There was nothing in there that really shocked me or will prevent me from going to McDonalds in the future.

That's cool -- to each his own.

I'm a little disppointed, I was expecting something like The Jungle but instead it was mostly just a guy ranting.

I'm not sure how to read that... you make it sound like he just frothed, rather than documenting his thesis, which he did in quite a bit of detail. If you desctribe that as ranting, I'm not conjuring a picture of what you were expecting instead.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

nin

Re: Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:43
 nin

Think I'm the only one who hasn't seen Reservoir Dogs...

Rent or buy?

http://www.ash-official.com/

May 21, 2004, 11:46
nin

Re: Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:46
May 21, 2004, 11:46
 nin

Bad Neighbour.

OMFG. Holy f%^*. I've now lost all appetite for lunch.

May 21, 2004, 11:51
Re: Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 11:51
May 21, 2004, 11:51

Think I'm the only one who hasn't seen Reservoir Dogs...

Nope, I haven't seen it either. I keep meaning to rent it.

And that apartment was disgusting. I mean, to the point where the pictures were actually causing me to be nauseated. I can't even imagine how bad it must've been to actually be there.

Reminds me of the "Redneck Neighbor" (Google for it).

Thousands may be harbouring vCJD
May 21, 2004, 11:55
Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 11:55
May 21, 2004, 11:55

Moo if you ever ate a dodgy economy british burger in the 80's!

Moooooooo! Mooooo!

Actually one 'worse case scenario' estimates that 4000 people could die from it. As 2000-3000 people die a year on the road, these things have to be put into perspective.

Chances are the grim reaper will sneak up on me and whack me with some unheard of disease that'll get named after me before being consigned to the history books.

Who would have thought feeding the diseased bovine flesh that collected in the abbatoir sluice trays to other cows would cause a problem eh?

Moo!

May 21, 2004, 12:01
Re: Reservoir Dogs May 21, 2004, 12:01
May 21, 2004, 12:01

Rent or buy?
Strong buy! Assuming you like Tarantino, anyway. The movie is classic. The first time I ever saw it was on tape, and I was so blown away by it that I rewound and watched it again immediately, at around 2am.

Dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick!
How many dicks is that?
A LOT.
Now I must go watch it!

and a warning to those who do not.

Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD
May 21, 2004, 12:03
Enahs

Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 12:03
May 21, 2004, 12:03
 Enahs

Since watching, the song Like a Virgin keeps running through my head. As disturbing as it is to find a wretched Madonna song haunting one's subconscious, this is that much worse. First, because the song itself doesn't actually play at any point in the movie, its invasion seems that much more insidious. Second, the context of the discussion of the tune in the movie just keeps conjuring up unfortunate imagery. *Shudder*.

And people here say I am strange!

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: Bad Neighbour
May 21, 2004, 12:06
Re: Bad Neighbour May 21, 2004, 12:06
May 21, 2004, 12:06

Agreed. Thankfully I hadn't started eating lunch yet when I clicked on that one. As a neat freak of the first order, (and having been thoroughly indoctrinated by the Professional Neat Freaks Association, a.k.a. - the United States Marine Corps), it almost made me physically ill just looking at the photos. The photographer was a brave person; you couldn't have forced me into that shithole even if I were wearing a spacesuit.

People can be really vile, disgusting creatures at times. Hell, my dog keeps his house neater than that.

May 21, 2004, 12:07
Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 12:07
May 21, 2004, 12:07

And people here say I am strange!

Yeah, I don't get that... after all, your now-legendary tight leather pants posting has almost scrolled off the first page of your posting history by now.

Damn, now I've conjured up more unfortunate imagery. *Double shudder*.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

May 21, 2004, 12:13
Re: Fast Food Nation May 21, 2004, 12:13
May 21, 2004, 12:13

Thanks for the reply, sorry if I sounded a bit rantish myself.

I'm not sure how to read that... you make it sound like he just frothed, rather than documenting his thesis, which he did in quite a bit of detail. If you desctribe that as ranting, I'm not conjuring a picture of what you were expecting instead.

Quite a large part of the book, for me at least, was the complaint about how McDonalds has homogonized many of the industries that support it, like meatpacking, potato farming, and dairy. It also addressed the killing off local food industries as well. Now those are valid points, and some are upset by that. That was the "ranting" I was referring to, and it takes up fully half the book, the 1st four chapters.

To me, that should've been a secondary concern of the book. I would like to have read more about the meat, the fries, the actual food themselves. That was addressed later on in the book, but not to the extent I thought it should have been. From the reactions from people like yourself saying you'll never eat McDonalds again, I was expecting "The Jungle" type stuff where human remains are in the meat or bugs are routinely mixed in or stuff like that.

Maybe just all the hype of people swearing to never eat McDonalds again made me raise my expectations of what I was going to get out of this book. However, 8 years of good recommendations heavily outweighs one that didn't satisfy me

Which makes me ask you another question. If you were at a baseball/football game, would you eat a hot dog from a vendor? It would seem to me since you won't eat McDonalds anymore, the exact same concerns should prevent you from eating hot dogs since they are packaged by the same plants involved.
"TK-421, why aren't you at your post?"

A simple trick
May 21, 2004, 12:35
A simple trick May 21, 2004, 12:35
May 21, 2004, 12:35

That movie is a classic I'm amazed it's been out 20 years!

Heres a simple trick blue. Tell your subconscious mind to SHUT THE HELL UP!

Truthfully that may work. Most people don't realize how much interaction there can be between our conscious mind and our subconscious mind.

That or starting listening to a certain song that you enjoy several times. I find that fixes the problem too if the first trick doesn't work.

I once had Queens Bohemian Rhapsody in my head for about a WEEK, for no apparent reason. Trust me, I did a lot of research that week

This comment was edited on May 21, 12:40.

May 21, 2004, 12:38
Re: Fast Food Nation May 21, 2004, 12:38
May 21, 2004, 12:38

...sorry if I sounded a bit rantish myself.

Not at all -- no worries.

Quite a large part of the book, for me at least, was the complaint about how McDonalds has homogonized many of the industries that support it, like meatpacking, potato farming, and dairy. It also addressed the killing off local food industries as well. Now those are valid points, and some are upset by that. That was the "ranting" I was referring to, and it takes up fully half the book, the 1st four chapters.

Well I think part of that is to uncover some of the globalization issues involved, and tie into how fast food has remodeled the suburban landscape here and all over the world.

But more to the point, it is important to demonstrate the relationship between MickeyDees and its suppliers to acknowledge how they drive the industries that process their food, rather than being the victim of it... otherwise it's hard to make the case that problems with fast food are the fault of the fast food industry itself, rather than their suppliers.

To me, that should've been a secondary concern of the book. I would like to have read more about the meat, the fries, the actual food themselves. That was addressed later on in the book, but not to the extent I thought it should have been. From the reactions from people like yourself saying you'll never eat McDonalds again, I was expecting "The Jungle" type stuff where human remains are in the meat or bugs are routinely mixed in or stuff like that.

The book references The Jungle repeatedly, but if all it was doing was repeating its allegations related to fast food, it would not need to have been written.

Maybe just all the hype of people swearing to never eat McDonalds again made me raise my expectations of what I was going to get out of this book. However, 8 years of good recommendations heavily outweighs one that didn't satisfy me

I'm not sure I follow that (not that it's important, as I said, you are more than entitled to your own opinion about all this)... are you saying that one of the reasons you will continue to eat at McDonalds is because people have been recomending it to you for years? I'm also slightly curious that you thought this would get you to swear off fast food by being like The Jungle if The Jungle itself didn't get you to swear off meat either?

Which makes me ask you another question. If you were at a baseball/football game, would you eat a hot dog from a vendor? It would seem to me since you won't eat McDonalds anymore, the exact same concerns should prevent you from eating hot dogs since they are packaged by the same plants involved.

That's phrased like you think you have painted me into some sort of logical corner. The answer is, I probably would not, but that's not to say I definitely wouldn't... I've taken no vows in this regard. I would definitely be wary of the mystery meat, even were it a Hebrew National or a Sabretts, but I am not a vegitarian, and still do eat whatever I feel like.

I'd still be that much less likely to eat anything from McDonald's though... it may not have had that effect on you, but along with concerns abut meat processing, that book made me very wary of the way they choose to go about their business, and the impact its having on the world around us.

Ever see The Simpsons where Bart get his ear pierced?

Gotta make it quick, kiddo. In five minutes, this place turns into a Starbucks.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

May 21, 2004, 13:16
Enahs

Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 13:16
May 21, 2004, 13:16
 Enahs

Yeah, I don't get that... after all, your now-legendary tight leather pants posting has almost scrolled off the first page of your posting history by now.

I can one up that.

I Have a small deck

Seriously, it is just 5’x6’ wooden deck out the backdoor. It is small, but it holds the grill just dandy!

So, who here has a large deck, or a small deck? Or is everyone here average size in the deck department?

_____
Enahs If you can read this - congratulations - You have won!!! Just e-mail with your CC# to claim your prize!
I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

May 21, 2004, 13:24
nin

Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 13:24
May 21, 2004, 13:24
 nin

I think Blue reads a lot more here than he lets on...

May 21, 2004, 13:38
Re: Thousands may be harbouring vCJD May 21, 2004, 13:38
May 21, 2004, 13:38

So, who here has a large deck, or a small deck? Or is everyone here average size in the deck department?

I'm a no-deck bastard, myself; I have an impressively large patio, however...

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer