Morning Q&As

View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
May 19, 2004, 23:20
Re: No subject May 19, 2004, 23:20
May 19, 2004, 23:20

Part of my problem, especially with UFO:Aftermath is that you HAVE to micromanage in real-time, which is absurd. My men should have the ability to fire on enemies they see without me having to explicitly tell them to.

I have no problem micromanaging in turn based games. There's a certain rhythm to them that you get into. In synchronous, you end up with a very disjointed feeling while playing with it pausing every quarter of a second as your team spots new enemies.

Anyways, to whomever posted that link to UFO:Extraterrestrials thank you very much. That definitely looks like something I'm going to be keeping my eye on. (Even if it does have a silly name)

No subject
May 19, 2004, 22:18
Vek
No subject May 19, 2004, 22:18
May 19, 2004, 22:18
Vek

I think synchronous is a good blend of real time and turn based.

Synchronous is not real time, because you can pause it at any time you want and change orders (Like apoc).

Basically, I find that Synchronous has all the benefits of turn based (you get to think for as long as you want, and can do things right down to the micromanagement level) but none of the drawbacks of turn based (lots of empty turns, things that LOOK REALLY STUPID because your guy 'looks' like hes completely ignoring the enemy killing him just because its 'not his turn'...)

No subject
May 19, 2004, 21:15
No subject May 19, 2004, 21:15
May 19, 2004, 21:15

X-com apoc WAS the best IMO... my favorite at least...

and yes, turn based + real time is the best method... like JA2 or SS...

real time combat in Apoc was pure chaos... but doable if your guys were badass enough

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

May 19, 2004, 20:33
Re: No subject May 19, 2004, 20:33
May 19, 2004, 20:33

Do not get upset.Check http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com

May 19, 2004, 17:22
Re: No subject May 19, 2004, 17:22
May 19, 2004, 17:22

It's not supposed to be a sequel. It's a game built in the same spirit. Not the same thing. Apocalypse had real-time AND turn based and in my opinion that was perfect. You could choose for yourself which you preferred on a per mission basis.

To this day, I have never understood why people think real-time = better. Any REAL tactical enthusiast will tell you that you're an idiot for saying something like that.

Real-time Strategy = dumbed down neo-action games with only a fraction of tactical thought involved. Most of the time it ends up being people using set strategies and whomever can click the fastest wins.

Pity that so many games are following the buck and going for real time. There have only really been two turn based strategy games that I've seen released of late for PC. Silent Storm (Brilliant in my opinion) and Massive Assault which was pretty at times but had no concept of how to balance units. All you had to do was build enough rocket launchers and you would win any map. Massive Assault ended up being a dumbed down turn based tactical game, and that in my opinion is worse than an RTS.

No subject
May 19, 2004, 16:37
No subject May 19, 2004, 16:37
May 19, 2004, 16:37

its supposed to be an X-com sequel, so it should hence be turn based...

i realize that kids these days arent too fond of it.. and its not nearly as sexy to market - but its still the most hardcore tactical genre there is

Chess is not real time. Its the same deal.

- SUBHUMANS

May 19, 2004, 14:16
Vek
Re: No subject May 19, 2004, 14:16
May 19, 2004, 14:16
Vek

The most enjoyable things from the realtime UFO game (Apocalypse) for me was the diversity of options in combat, be it realtime or turnbased (I don't really care about turnbased).

You could prone, crawl, etc. Guys could hide behind cover, strafe out and shoot. Lean to see if enemies were there in 'cautious mode'. You could have them wield a machinegun in each hand, and load left hand with incenidary and right with explosive rounds and have them tear through a building.

You could go inside buildings, outside, you could climb in ufos, you could use stun gas, stun prods, swords. Incoming missiles coudl be ducked by hitting the floor fast (prone).

Then they make the dreck that is UFO aftermath in which almost none of the above is possible.

I'm sorry, but theyre making it LESS FUN not MORE FUN and that is a fatal mistake in my opinion.

May 19, 2004, 13:36
Re: No subject May 19, 2004, 13:36
May 19, 2004, 13:36

Nah turned based is bad... the silly named SAS system that Aftermath used worked pretty damn well.

Was one of the few good things about aftermath, and does seem they have learn't what was bad. The whole Q&A was almost a list of issues for Aftermath...

Just hope it lives up to the promise as if it does it could end up being a classic.

This comment was edited on May 19, 13:37.

No subject
May 19, 2004, 11:36
No subject May 19, 2004, 11:36
May 19, 2004, 11:36

"24) Will there be a turn-based option?

ALTAR: No."

case closed, move along

- SUBHUMANS
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.