Phantom Launch Details

Infinium Labs Sets Launch for Phantom Console (thanks Devster) offers details on plans to launch the Phantom, Infinium Lab's upcoming games-on demand PC/console system. Here's the deal, including an acknowledgement of the skepticism that this project has met with:
Infinium Labs Inc. (OTC BB:IFLB.OB - news), the long-secretive video-game company, on Monday took the wraps off of its Phantom gaming console and service, setting a Nov. 18 launch for the system designed to play conventional PC games on televisions.

Sarasota, Florida-based Infinium said its hardware would be free with a two-year subscription to its service or $199 without the subscription.

The announcement came at the start of E3, the annual video game industry trade show in Los Angeles.

Infinium executives hope that finally taking the wraps off the Phantom, and demonstrating a functional version of the service, would dispel doubts among some industry observers that the company can deliver on its planned offering.

"I know all too well the skepticism and the cynicism and the jokes and the rumors and all that stuff," Kevin Bachus, the president of Infinium, told Reuters recently.

Bachus, an industry veteran who once held a senior role on Microsoft Corp.'s (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) Xbox (news - web sites) team, was appointed in January.

The service, starting at $29.95 a month, will offer users certain basic content for free, and access to either buy premium games at prices comparable to regular retail or rent them, usually $5 for three days.
View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Huh?
May 12, 2004, 00:29
Re: Huh? May 12, 2004, 00:29
May 12, 2004, 00:29

and i have to pay for games?

You forgot that you need broadband, which around my area is approx. $50 a month for either cable or DSL. I know the number of broadband customers is growing all the time, but that's still a limited market. And you'd be marketing to people that don't already have either a console or PC. Which would be who, exactly? Grandma?

How exactly am I supposed to take my games over to a buddy's house? Does Infinium have the combined server power of eBay, Google, Amazon, etc. to be able to deliver games over broadband? Do I really want this to be the gaming business model of the FUTURE!?

---------------------------------------------
"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?" -- Dick Cavett
mocking the TV-violence debate
--------
BOOBIES Filter Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/BOOBIES_filter.user.js
Punk Buster (Ignore Trolls) Greasemonkey script:
http://camaro76.web.aplus.net/punkbuster.user.js

The specs.
May 11, 2004, 10:02
The specs. May 11, 2004, 10:02
May 11, 2004, 10:02

Im suprised no one has commented on the Phantoms internals yet. So anyway, a barton 2500+, nforce 2 mobo, 256mb of ram, 40gb hd and a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. Its always been known this thing is a PC in a box without the DVD drive, but will Infinium be manufacturing this thing, and are they going to remove the spare ATA controllers from the mainboard. Also how are they going to stop you using the slave port on the single HD to hook up and hack a DVD drive in, or replace the HD? What about the internal headers for firewire and USB 2.0 (if there are any?). Anyway one of the reasons consoles perform so well relative to a PC when they have poorer specs (if we're talking top of the line here) is cause they perform pretty much right next to the hardware level, with no o/s etc to get in the way, and obviously each console has quirks that allow developers to get more performance out of it. Now Phantom is basically just a budget PC in a box, and i guess runs some version of Windows XP. So its performance will be more or less equal to a PC of the same spec. In which case the performance of the thing is going to suck.. I know that it will run at a lower res cause its hooked up to a TV but still. This is coming out in november so theoretically could play Doom 3, HL2 and STALKER.. and i just cant see those specs cutting it. The two most damaging imo are the lack of memory and the tiny HD. Far Cry is 3gb and UT2004 is just a touch over 5.2 gb. On a 40gb HD how do they expect people to actually keep their games. Also with games being this massive for the installation that means you have to keep a copy of the install file AND the game. Added to the fact that downloading 5gb takes a long time. Oh well more flaws.
-------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..

Unhackable servers...
May 11, 2004, 09:38
Unhackable servers... May 11, 2004, 09:38
May 11, 2004, 09:38

Of course the servers will be unhackable. A non-existent server is completly secure...
I'm not even really here.

Re: No subject
May 11, 2004, 08:41
Re: No subject May 11, 2004, 08:41
May 11, 2004, 08:41

Infinium executives hope that finally taking the wraps off the Phantom, and demonstrating a functional version of the service, would dispel doubts among some industry observers that the company can deliver on its planned offering.

"I know all too well the skepticism and the cynicism and the jokes and the rumors and all that stuff," Kevin Bachus, the president of Infinium, told Reuters recently.

HAHAHA!

I bet the people already making money off this crap, already has their fake passports and november 19 plane tickets ready.

Currently awaiting:
Red Orchestra 2.0 For UT2004, coming May 7th. May 20th! WOOO!

May 11, 2004, 00:08
Re: No subject May 11, 2004, 00:08
May 11, 2004, 00:08

Now, I'm still very very skeptical about the Phantom, but I did figure I should point out that you probably wouldn't be out $720 if you got the two-year subscription and the service tanked after the first year.
You'd probably still pay out your contract monthly, and if it went under before your contract was up, there'd be no one you needed to pay.

May 10, 2004, 22:29
Re: No subject May 10, 2004, 22:29
May 10, 2004, 22:29

According to the business model, it's not $30 for 3 games, it's $30.00 a month to get access to their SERVICE, then $40 a pop for every AAA you download

So you'd be paying, well $150 for 3 AAA titles, plus the additional cost of console unit depending if you paid $800 for 2 years for $200 for the system

This comment was edited on May 11, 01:47.

No subject
May 10, 2004, 21:40
No subject May 10, 2004, 21:40
May 10, 2004, 21:40

Anyone who buys into this is contributing hands down to what will be the greatest disgrace even in the video game industry: Paying for games that you don't own and have no control over whatsoever

why is it a disgrace? its done with movies all the time.

if I can play 3 AAA games per month (or more) for $30 then I'd say its worth the money for someone who isnt a hardcore gamer. personally i like having the Cd and all but there thousands of people who could care less. They play the game , finish it and don't give it a second thought (again, like movies).

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing - Soldner Beta, Joint Ops, UT2004.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
May 10, 2004, 21:07
No subject May 10, 2004, 21:07
May 10, 2004, 21:07

A couple of months ago, Bachus, being the anal retard that he is, yapped about how he had at least 25 developers lined up (as in desperately eager) to make games for his shitty console. He had to retract that statement later, and admitted it was a whole one developer (whom he STILL hasn't named btw).

VALUSOFT!

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

More vaporware
May 10, 2004, 19:46
More vaporware May 10, 2004, 19:46
May 10, 2004, 19:46

I seriously doubt they'll even have a prototype model to show at E3, but the odds of them actually having a handful of production models ready to go in November are probably as high as Paris Hilton's IQ.

Also, I like this part "which includes a constantly growing library of games still to be announced ".

A couple of months ago, Bachus, being the anal retard that he is, yapped about how he had at least 25 developers lined up (as in desperately eager) to make games for his shitty console. He had to retract that statement later, and admitted it was a whole one developer (whom he STILL hasn't named btw).

So how high exactly are the odds that he'll have even a SINGLE title ready to go on November 18th? I'm thinking they're even lower than the odds of him having some hardware to sell.

But hey, you gotta admit, he's been generating more news about his vaporware than 3dRealms managed to do with Prey and Duke Nukem Forever combined. That's pretty impressive.

Creston

Edit : Oh and finally, even though I am 100% convinced it's all bullshit, let's look at one of the prime operating procedures behind this shitty idea. You download the games off servers that they own, and you can't do anything with those games besides play them in conjunction with their servers etc etc etc yadda yadda, and those servers, so Kevin "I really believed everything I heard in boardroom meetings at Microsoft" Bachus says that those servers are unhackable.

There have been some companies saying that their shit was unhackable. Funny enough, it never took more than a few weeks for them to get hacked. And this unhackable solution is going to run on Windows XP, right? Man, nobody could EVER hack Windows XP!

This comment was edited on May 10, 19:53.

May 10, 2004, 19:12
Re: No subject May 10, 2004, 19:12
May 10, 2004, 19:12

Doesn't the ApeXtreme already do this without monthly fees and add DVD to boot?

Not that I'd have one anyway, but it seems to me it's already been done and done better (?)

No subject
May 10, 2004, 18:40
No subject May 10, 2004, 18:40
May 10, 2004, 18:40

maybe a bunch of us need to get together and run a scam like this... we know what looks good to self-styled marketing wizards, and we know what kinds of pie-in-the-sky future technologies make them salivate

damn I want a slice of that fat cat cash

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

No one is going to buy this
May 10, 2004, 17:22
No one is going to buy this May 10, 2004, 17:22
May 10, 2004, 17:22

MAYBE if this was a system with graphics 2x as good as xboxes and had a huge marketing campaign it would have a chance, alas most likely it wont have either. Hell if there was a ton of pc games that console players have wanted to play it would have a chance too..as it stands the only things that it will offer that arent being ported to xbox are rts or freaking neverwinter nights or some shit.

Only people that are going to buy this are the same people that bought those internet pcs: no one.

Yeeeaahhhh...
May 10, 2004, 15:16
Yeeeaahhhh... May 10, 2004, 15:16
May 10, 2004, 15:16

I still say that the name says it all

V
How will I know limits from lies if I never try?

May 10, 2004, 14:59
Re: Huh? May 10, 2004, 14:59
May 10, 2004, 14:59

So wait, they've been hyping that for one fee you get to play all sorts of new games as they come out, and now they're saying that you have to pay an additional fee for "new" games? How long is "new"? Six months? You mean, if I don't want to pay "rental" charges I get to wait six months (estimate) to play games? Oh. And what's this? You have to pay $20 to $40 for the games anyway? Then what's the $29.95 a month for? Premium games?

Let's get this straight. They'll come out with a halo clone and market it as their winner (they've already stated that they have a "halo like game" in development for this POS). Since it's so "popular", they'll charge $40 for it and then make you pay a $5 "premium game fee" on top of that per month. On top of the $29.95.

If it was $29.95 for all the games I could play i still wouldn't do it, but now they've totally screwed even that up. gg.

This comment was edited on May 10, 15:02.

May 10, 2004, 14:27
Re: Huh? May 10, 2004, 14:27
May 10, 2004, 14:27

Free, for $718.80 worth of two years of service with no guarantee the service will stay the path that long.

You could buy two years @ 718.80 and the service could fail and kick out after a year and you'd be out of that cash.

The sad part is, while a large group of gamers know this is an obvious scam, there are a large # of people out there who have no clue and will see it at Best Buy or what not and think it cool and buy it only to be horribly disappointed and out $718.80, which is when the Executive Management will "leave the company due to creative differences" and take their pensions worth milllions, screwing the designers out of cash and blacklisting them, No one would want "phantom" on their resume, screwing investors, and most important, screwing the unassuming consumer.

This is also know as "take the money and run" and "get the most cash possible up front just in case it fails"

It's a fucking disgrace if you ask me.
This comment was edited on May 10, 14:32.

That Keyboard!
May 10, 2004, 14:25
That Keyboard! May 10, 2004, 14:25
May 10, 2004, 14:25

Now if only that keyboard/mouse dealie was released as an Xbox peripheral...

New Infinium CEO: David Allen ?
May 10, 2004, 14:18
New Infinium CEO: David Allen ? May 10, 2004, 14:18
May 10, 2004, 14:18

To bolster their "credibility" at E3 Infinium should announce that David Allen is the new CEO, Derek Smart is now Executive Producer overseeing all design and development, and Gary Coleman is VP of Marketing and Advertising. :::evil grin:::

Prediction: like so many phony "startups", within 3 years Infinium will be Out of Business and the Executive Management group will depart as Millionaires, having successfully gotten away with an intentional Corporate SCAM.

But then again, I suppose any investor or customer Stupid enough to believe that Infinium ever had any intention of being a real company deserves to be ripped off.

No subject
May 10, 2004, 13:45
No subject May 10, 2004, 13:45
May 10, 2004, 13:45

most people have speculated that this whole project is just a scam to get a bunch of money out of investors

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

No subject
May 10, 2004, 13:21
No subject May 10, 2004, 13:21
May 10, 2004, 13:21

I'm sure that the "basic content" is just chat features and free, yahoo-style games. That's not a lot for $30/month. I'm guessing that you're really paying for the ability to buy full-priced games from them. Oh yeah, and those rentals are more expensive than at my local video store. I can't imagine what the market for this device is. For $700+ over 2 years, you could buy a PC that would play games about as well for those 2 years.

No subject
May 10, 2004, 13:04
No subject May 10, 2004, 13:04
May 10, 2004, 13:04

This has got FAILURE writen all over it. DIVIX anyone?.. remember when Circuit City tried to scam us? .. this seems like the same thing to me. $30 a month?! Are they smoking crack?

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older