Out of the Blue

Been suffering with some odd black screen of death (which makes the old blue ones seem informative) with WinXP. According to the error message when I reboot my graphics adapter seems to suddenly be causing the problem, here's hoping someone at MS is studying all the reports on this I'm allowing Windows to phone home with.

Funny, after my comment about Friends yesterday, MrsBlue came home determined to check it out for the precise reason that we had never seen it before. This mirrored her experience with Seinfeld, a show I always enjoyed, but she likewise never saw until the finale. Now I can't figure out why this show was called Friends and not Lovers, in as much as they all seem to have hooked up with each other over the course of time.

I believe that nasty U.K. dialer pop-up dealie has been eradicated. If anyone should encounter it going forward, please let me know so I can get all crazy over this again, and otherwise, a thank you to all who showed patience when encountering this, and my heartfelt apologies for the whole ugly episode.

Link of the Day: Nintendo NES Controller Belt Buckles.
GeneSimmons.com. Thanks Bronco.
Science!: The Myth of the Beginning of Time. Thanks athlonseven.
NASA Funds Sci-Fi Technology.
Tiny robot walker made from DNA.
Images of the Day: Stereo Seal. Thanks Ant.
Auctions of the Day: (4) Exclusive Signed Mike Tyson Rape Trial Sketches. Thanks Sam. Unbelievable.
Deer Poop Earrings. Thanks evan.
Follow-ups: Moore accused of publicity stunt over Disney 'ban'
Stealing Back the Airwaves.
Thanks Mike Martinez
View : : :
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: RE: Corporation
May 8, 2004, 15:05
Re: RE: Corporation May 8, 2004, 15:05
May 8, 2004, 15:05

You failed to notice the after my Economist comment. All newspapers are biased in some way. And it's a very good point you make about reading the letters page - some of them are quite interesting.

RE: Corporation
May 8, 2004, 15:02
RE: Corporation May 8, 2004, 15:02
May 8, 2004, 15:02

Well the corporation is comming back to town for a week in a month & will hit at least another 35 thearters around teh country. Like BfC, they are running into problems about how it will be distributed.

Don't remember the name, but someone posted they that they were a 'realist' who read the 'economist' because it was unbiased.

The economist isn't unbiased .. it's maybe less biased and adheres to a high degreee of professionalism. They do make mistakes however. Couple weeks ago, the cover story and magazine cover featured articles on Walmart entitled, "Learning to Love It." The article presented a one sided picture that wal marts were good, while ignoring issues with minimum wages, locking employees inside, purchasing products from foriegn countries that don't follow US environmental or working condition policies, and other corners cut to provide the cheapest prices. You can't just depend upon the economist, and, if you do, make sure you read the letters to teh editor.

Hyakugojyuchichi takes second place to Rockfish Mining for last weeks best of the MOTD. Bannanaphones score goes up once it's just the mp3 w/o those fricken badgers. Still I think its perverse; "doesn't costs a dime; phone you can eat; cellular." I can just imagine it's 'alternative lifestyle' authors sitting around giggling whenever someone listens to it.

Speaking of perversions, Blue and his wife must be getting an early start on their weekend of celebrating their engagement. Wonder if this is going to be one of those weekends where we get no posts?

Re: Smurfs
May 8, 2004, 09:14
Re: Smurfs May 8, 2004, 09:14
May 8, 2004, 09:14

You know I'd almost buy the game if I could see a crew daily of about 30 smurfs running around and being lead by Papa smurf, with the traditional "How much further papa smurf?" "Not Far now" line being spoken all the time.

Re: Ant
May 8, 2004, 07:04
Re: Ant May 8, 2004, 07:04
May 8, 2004, 07:04

For anyone that can't get enough of that banana song, check this out: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/

May 7, 2004, 22:25
Re: Ant May 7, 2004, 22:25
May 7, 2004, 22:25

Send it as a tinyURL to hide the page name and then make the e-mail sound like it is something important.

Having, of course, never done this :D,
Ray

--------------------------------
http://www.thief3.org/
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: RE: Ant
May 7, 2004, 21:36
Ant

Re: RE: Ant May 7, 2004, 21:36
May 7, 2004, 21:36
 Ant

Enahs: [sighs] I want my five minutes back!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Re: No subject
May 7, 2004, 21:18
Re: No subject May 7, 2004, 21:18
May 7, 2004, 21:18

There were some guys making smurf heroes in CoH. It was pretty damn funny, 'Hey, I'll smurf you up!'.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 7, 2004, 21:14
Re: No subject May 7, 2004, 21:14
May 7, 2004, 21:14

Yeah, she has great orthopaedists.

Arf.

Kittens!

May 7, 2004, 21:05
Ant

Re: Ant May 7, 2004, 21:05
May 7, 2004, 21:05
 Ant

WalterEgo: Heh heh! I am trying to get this female coworker to click on the Bananaphone Flash page. She refused. Hmmph!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

May 7, 2004, 21:03
Bronco

Re: No subject May 7, 2004, 21:03
May 7, 2004, 21:03
 Bronco

That's right, you can watch the Smurfs for 24 hours straight.

Ok smartie, answer one question for me...

How does Smurfette manage to walk? She should be in traction.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
-TPFKAS2S

No subject
May 7, 2004, 20:30
No subject May 7, 2004, 20:30
May 7, 2004, 20:30

Hey, does anyone else realize that Boomerang are showing a 24-hour Smurfathon today?

That's right, you can watch the Smurfs for 24 hours straight. And if that doesn't get the song (and everything else) out of your head, nothing will.

i was just watching that, gargamel got served

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

Re: Moore
May 7, 2004, 19:44
Re: Moore May 7, 2004, 19:44
May 7, 2004, 19:44

Man I hate it when people don't READ before they open their mouths.
Zathrus
Oh, and while Disney has no right to prevent Miramax from distributing the movie, neither did Miramax ever sign a distribution deal with Moore or his agent. They provided financing, but never promised distribution.

Thanks for pointing that out, but when did Moore say different? Moore has never said he had a contract for distribution with Miramax, but It's obvious that Miramax would distribute the film if Disney allowed them.

Then in the article at the Independent Andrew Gumbel says,
In an indignant letter to his supporters, Moore said he had learnt only on Monday that Disney had put the kibosh on distributing the film, which has been financed by the semi-independent Disney subsidiary Miramax.

Moore does not say that he only learnt about this on Monday in that letter. Here is a quote from Moore's letter.
Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 911."
Notice the key word in that sentence officially. This leaves open the possibility that Disney had unofficially made this statement before. Moore even acknowledges this elsewhere in his letter.
The whole story behind this (and other attempts) to kill our movie will be told in more detail as the days and weeks go on. For nearly a year, this struggle has been a lesson in just how difficult it is in this country to create a piece of art that might upset those in charge
Right there in his own letter Moore says "For nearly a year". Why would he say that if he found out only on Monday? I don't deny that it's convienent that this was made public before Cannes, but Moore has said that even though Miramax knew for a year that Disney did not want them to distribute this film they felt confident that they could convince Disney to let them distribute the film. Of course Miramax will make all of this public now, just before Cannes and not a year ago. It gives them far more leverage to convince Disney to let them distribute the film.

I just love how people try and shift the focus on a story like this. It's like defence attorneys trying to blame the rape victim for dressing provocatively and asking for it. Disney is the rapist here not Moore. I know it's an overly harsh comparison, but you get my point.

This comment was edited on May 7, 19:46.

May 7, 2004, 19:29
Re: Moore May 7, 2004, 19:29
May 7, 2004, 19:29

I saw that Bowling in Columbine film recently on HBO and I could only stand watching it for 10 minutes. It was such left wing propaganda.

May 7, 2004, 19:26
Re: RE: Ant May 7, 2004, 19:26
May 7, 2004, 19:26

You do not need no song, just go watch this.

For some reason i watched that video 4 times in a row.

------
Leading the "Support our Arrow keys" movement!
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

May 7, 2004, 19:14
Re: Moore May 7, 2004, 19:14
May 7, 2004, 19:14

It's fairly easy to substantiate bias, and American Progress is no exception. It's not tabloid like Fox, but neither would I go as far as to call them "some of the best political analysts in the country." While I don't have a problem with commentators taking sides (it would be ridiculous to expect otherwise), it's a bit of a stretch to seriously suggest the left isn't equally capable of bias and spinning as the right.

One man's commentator is another's spin doctor.

Personally, Im an Economist guy... nice and neutral!!

No subject
May 7, 2004, 19:10
No subject May 7, 2004, 19:10
May 7, 2004, 19:10

Bet the creationists dont like people playing with DNA, they might find it not so complicated for life to be accidently created after all :).
Gather 'round children and i'll tell you a tale,
Of chipper the ripper the chipmunk from hell

playing with DNA
May 7, 2004, 18:51
playing with DNA May 7, 2004, 18:51
May 7, 2004, 18:51

You know you've read too many sci-fi books when.....

It makes me think of Frank Herbert's The White Plague and Khan's "genetically superior intellect".

May 7, 2004, 18:46
Re: Moore May 7, 2004, 18:46
May 7, 2004, 18:46

Are Disney's reasons for not wanting to distribute the movie questionable? Sure. To some extent it's also smart business to not piss in your own pond. Still, I'd agree that it was a poor statement from Disney, and a good reason why we should put a stop to the omnipresent media mergers.

You don't think there's a conflict of interest even though Jeb is governor of Florida? Riiiiiight.

And kindly stop posting links to American Progress -- unless you'd like people to also post links to Fox News or National Review Online. They're equally unbiased in their reporting.

They make no pretense about their bias, unlike "fair and balanced" Faux News. And if you actually read most of what they write they're a lot more central-left than you think they are. Even with the spin - and it's not like they're the only ones who do, and not nearly as badly as they do on the right - they substantiate what they write. You also think that you can compare some of the best political analysts in the country to ex-tabloid television "journalists"? Please.

As for Disney itself (which is what the statement was made about), it's donated almost equally to both Republicans and Democrats in the 1998, 2000, and 2002 cycles -- including all subsidiaries, they have donated marginally more to the Democrats actually (without all, marginally more to the Republicans; Miramax in particular skews the results since -- shock, surprise -- they've donated only to the Democrats. Funny, that wasn't mentioned anywhere on American Progress).

Yes, the Disney PAC donates about equally to both parties, but that's not the issue here. It's not the Disney PAC that makes decisions about whether to distribute a film or not, Eisner does. And the fact remains that his relationship with Jeb Bush constitutes a clear conflict of interest in this matter.

What Moore did was nothing short of brilliant. It's not so much a PR stunt as it is a political statement that he made by doing this. Good on him for proving a point. The article isn't skewed, your interpetation of it is. So put that in your bananaphone and smoke it.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

May 7, 2004, 18:22
Re: RE: Ant May 7, 2004, 18:22
May 7, 2004, 18:22

EEEK! It's a SNAKE!.

In case anybody somehow has not seen this yet:

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

Having this one bookmarked (for some reason,)
Ray

--------------------------------
http://www.thief3.org/
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Offspring
May 7, 2004, 17:37
Offspring May 7, 2004, 17:37
May 7, 2004, 17:37

Wonder what the offspring would look like if Michael Moore & Al Franken could somehow mate........Gabe??

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older