Alpha Black Zero Demo

A demo is now available for Alpha Black Zero: Intrepid Protocol, offering a sample of Khaeon's upcoming Serious-engine third-person action game. The demo can be downloaded from 3D Gamers, Filerush (torrent), Gamer's Hell, and Seriously!. A note on Seriously! adds a curious tidbit about the game: "It went gold in October 2003, and should be shipping sometime in the near future."
View : : :
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Looks interesting...
May 6, 2004, 15:41
Re: Looks interesting... May 6, 2004, 15:41
May 6, 2004, 15:41

Heh...oops. After poking around inside some of the files that come with the demo, I realized it comes with 3 complete levels and a cutscene, as well as tons of music - http://www.seriouszone.com/cms/news.php?action=view&newsid=1366

Well that's BS.. I played the whole thing and it only has 2 levels and 2 cutscenes. I wouldn't have tried so hard to finish the 2nd level if I knew there wasn't a 3rd. I kept running out of ammo and had to restart a few times.

This space is available for rent

seriously down
May 4, 2004, 16:59
seriously down May 4, 2004, 16:59
May 4, 2004, 16:59

i cant seem to get more info on this website.. www.seriouszone.com is down.. can anyone else reach it? anyways, this demo seems to have a multiplayer menu built in.... anyone get it working?

-maas

Re: No subject
May 4, 2004, 09:26
Re: No subject May 4, 2004, 09:26
May 4, 2004, 09:26

And as for issues with the demo...

Nann-E (from Khaeon):

"Hi Demoplayers,

for some reason which is not known to anyone here at Khaeon, a demo was released by the publisher of ABZ (Playlogic) which is a) too large IOHO and b) most likely is a demo which was meant for preview purposes and consists of an older build.

There are a lot of discrepancies between the actual game-build and (12+) demo-builds which were made for various purposes (trade show demos to press demos, all requiring different things changed for different audiences). To make sure none of these changes krept into the final build, we've branched development into demo and game near the end of the project.

Again, ABZ as a project was finished mid september 2003 and was succesfully tested on the range of hardware available at that time. There may be issues which were untestable more than 8 months ago.

Also, we are no longer officially involved in the product for various reasons which are part of all those changes which have ocurred in the meantime. However, we will always support the community which has helped us on so many instances."

Direct link to the dev's post below although I caught it originally in the forums at Seriously...

http://www.khaeon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

May 3, 2004, 21:12
Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 21:12
May 3, 2004, 21:12

Nah...Khaeon started out as a webcompany (making websites etc), but all the employees actually wanted to be in the gamesbiz. So eventually, they took the plunge and this is what they made

No subject
May 3, 2004, 19:52
No subject May 3, 2004, 19:52
May 3, 2004, 19:52

I thought this was originally a mod

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

May 3, 2004, 15:11
PHJF

Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 15:11
May 3, 2004, 15:11
 PHJF

With disregard to the bugs, this game is terrible.

Budgetware all over it.

------
“The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you learn. Ok?"
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 3, 2004, 10:51
Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 10:51
May 3, 2004, 10:51

The demo is a bit rough for a reason. I'm fairly sure it's based on a code base that's practically a year old, which the developer actually had no control over. Remember, developers have no control over actual release schedules...things have actually changed between the demo and the full game. For example, the AI was tweaked, and locational damaging has been addressed.

May 3, 2004, 10:42
Re: No subject May 3, 2004, 10:42
May 3, 2004, 10:42

Uh, I can't edit my post?!

Anyway, lol! I just read the readme (thanks, Rodzilla!)...so now I have to turn hyperthreading off just to play the game? And wtf is 'a multithread-safe version' of my hardware drivers?

Somehow it seems as if screwing the pooch on demo releases is catching on in gamedevland...

No subject
May 3, 2004, 10:34
No subject May 3, 2004, 10:34
May 3, 2004, 10:34

I really don't get why they didn't include the tutorials/first mission, as the control/combat does need a bit of explanation. Especially since the game has gone gold in 2003...I mean, the content is there, so why not include the tut in the demo, instead of including a whole press build!

I also get the crash to desktop a lot...maybe it's to do with the fact that I set everything to as high as it would go (extreme (detailed)). But with a p4 2.6(800), a gig of ram and a 9800pro, I thought I should be able to do that. Anyway, the texture work looks great, the geometry just a tad less, and the animation isn't all that. But overal it looks like a fun game. If only I could play longer than 5 minutes.

Kind of neat...
May 3, 2004, 09:13
Kind of neat... May 3, 2004, 09:13
May 3, 2004, 09:13

...but really rough.

Graphics - Looks nice; nothing amazing, but consistent and fitting for the environment.

Camera - Drives me crazy (feel like I am always hunched down and a little too close for comfortable)

Control - Walk/run keys not always responsive. If I tried to change any key mapping with the mouse, it would instantly change to "Button 3," regardless of actual input

AI - Quite weak; what good are teammates if they are always lagging behind; a couple of eney NPCs would do nothing while I ran up to them and 'capped them point blank.

Gameplay - Idea is there and kind of fun; other (above) problems detract from it.

Edit:
Missing - A true first-person perspective

With some polish, this could have been a good budget buy. If this is the game as it stands now, I will likely skip it.

Waning even more my wish for a Terra Nova update :(,
Ray

--------------------------------
http://www.thief3.org/
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on May 3, 09:18.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Meh
May 3, 2004, 06:28
Re: Meh May 3, 2004, 06:28
May 3, 2004, 06:28

Agreed. Freedom Fighters was a hugely enjoyable game. I liked the scenario and I liked the simplicity.

May 3, 2004, 04:51
Re: Looks interesting... May 3, 2004, 04:51
May 3, 2004, 04:51

John: Hmmm, I did go to B, but I didn't see any path to get into A.

From B, you go west up the hill until you reach the cliff then head south along the ridge and around the bend and then you are basically there. You just have to stay up on the path and head towards the enemies. The next level inside the building is better except for it being so dark.

BitTorrent tips
May 3, 2004, 03:43
BitTorrent tips May 3, 2004, 03:43
May 3, 2004, 03:43

I'm at 365KB/s on the Bit Torrent. Total time to download: about 10 minutes on a cable connection.

For those with slow BitTorrent speeds, you need to open ports 6881-6889, otherwise you're not allowing yourself incoming connections and won't connect to half the people sharing it.

Re: Meh
May 3, 2004, 03:39
Re: Meh May 3, 2004, 03:39
May 3, 2004, 03:39

If this had been as streamlined and as polished as Freedom Fighters, then maybe. Now it's just meh.

Freedom Fighters took me completely by surprised. It turned out to be one of my favorite games at the time. the quality of the AI and the simplicity of the commands made it feel like you were really a squad leader without getting bogged down in babysitting your 'mates. What pissed me off is that the PC didnt have any MP to speak of yet the console versions did. Having a two player game with several AI squadmates per side wouldve kicked much ass.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New sig under construction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

May 3, 2004, 01:30
Ant

Re: Looks interesting... May 3, 2004, 01:30
May 3, 2004, 01:30
 Ant

John: Hmmm, I did go to B, but I didn't see any path to get into A.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Meh
May 3, 2004, 01:19
Meh May 3, 2004, 01:19
May 3, 2004, 01:19

If this had been as streamlined and as polished as Freedom Fighters, then maybe. Now it's just meh.

This comment was edited on May 3, 01:21.

Re: My take
May 3, 2004, 01:06
Re: My take May 3, 2004, 01:06
May 3, 2004, 01:06

I re-mapped Shift before I read about switching who you control, and I don't think you can re-map it.

I had that same problem, but was able to fix it by Resetting the default bindings.

I think the nature of the game would have lended better to first-person..

Again, I totally agree with that. It would make a much better experience. Another thing I don't like is the lack of a flashlight or night-vision goggles. It really dark in some of the areas inside the building and hate to have to turn the gamma way up.

Edit: The co-op feature where you can have friends play as the other mercs sounds really cool. That itself would make the game more fun.

This comment was edited on May 3, 01:20.

My take
May 2, 2004, 23:54
My take May 2, 2004, 23:54
May 2, 2004, 23:54

it's alright, feels a whole lot like Freedom Fighters, to the point of weirdness. Movement's real jerky, and I can't get switching between men to work. I re-mapped Shift before I read about switching who you control, and I don't think you can re-map it. I'd call that a rather large oversight. I don't understand how this demo could go out without A) a readme (and yes I got the link to the one on Seriously!, thanks) or B) a small tutorial as to how the combat system works.

Regardless, the combat is rather repetitive, and the enemy AI sucks. Meanwhile, teammate pathfinding is fine, but why isn't there an "attack" command? I always find myself doing most of the work, with my side-men providing clean-up or guarding the rear. Combat's relatively unexciting, lots of crouching, I feel like the scene in Hot Shots! Part Deux where two guys are two feet away from each other firing automatic weapons.

I think the nature of the game would have lended better to first-person, the perspective adds nothing to it, and detracts, really. It's hard to be accurate in third-person, especially when enemies are far away. I had the same beef with Freedom Fighters. If you're going third-person, you need a reason, like lots of melee combat, or acrobatic requirements. This game doesn't even let you jump, and it's rife with invisible barriers. Besides, I'm so used to leaning now, it's hard to go without. Leaning and firing would be really nice for a supposed "tactical" shooter like this.

Also, isn't it weird that the main character can die halfway through a level, and it has no effect on the outcome? There he is, alive and well after the next cut scene.

May 2, 2004, 23:09
Re: Looks interesting... May 2, 2004, 23:09
May 2, 2004, 23:09

Ah, I knew there had to be a way to switch between them. That will help out a lot. It sounds pretty cool actually how it all works. I'm going to give that a try.

I couldn't find a way to get into that big building.

It's not too hard if you first go towards mark B on the map. You can get more ammo there and then continue up the hill towards A. The level ends when you get up near the building and then the next level takes place inside.

No subject
May 2, 2004, 22:58
No subject May 2, 2004, 22:58
May 2, 2004, 22:58

This was fun

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older