As an avid fan of Halo for the XBOX and then for the PC (including starting, adminning and participating in a Halo Clan) I think I have a fairly decent take on Halo PC and it's downfall/strengths, please allow me to elaborate:
1. Being able to play BG against other people (other then the 3 friends sitting on yoru couch, and with your own screen).
2. No longer having to use that @##$ controller. Mouse and keyboard baby.
3. A good way to benchmark hardware!
1. Performance (net,graphics,etc). Hopefully this will be addressed in this LONG overdue patch.
2. The same repetitive crappy SP levels and few good choices for MP levels. (I'll give credit to Gearbox for trying, but honestly, I think it's the engine's limitations that is killing this game).
3. Promising for months to gives us an SDK/HEK and not delivering.
4. Removal of CO-OP from the SP (the best part of Halo XBOX.)
Now, it's been widely noted that Gearbox has had it's hands tied on updating the game and Microsoft has pretty much turned a blind eye to making this game better (and arguably, for a damn good reason).
However, as much as I am looking forward to playing with the HEK when it comes out, I doubt this will have the affect on the gaming community that (some of) my fellow clanmates are expecting.
Halo has always been one of the most overrated games in history (next MGS2). The game has NUMEROUS flaws that Gearbox could never overcome without replacing the entire game. I think all someone has to do is look at quality games being released now (ut2k4, farcry) and compare the PRODUCTION QUALITY to games like Halo and the true quality of Halo will come through.
Halo 2 will rock. I wish they would release it on the PC and finally give PC players the game we've been wanting since 99, but I doubt that will ever happen.
I think a lot of people will have to realize that what we wanted out of Halo PC (the game promised to use since before Bungie was bought by MS) will never truely exist. It has gone the way of Sam and Max and may other (once quality) games and I really wish the gaming/Halo community would just move on. Let this game die with respect instead of being dragged through the dirt.