City of Heroes Live

NCsoft announces that City of Heroes, their superhero MMORPG, is now live. Here's a bit:
Austin, TEXAS, April 28, 2004— NCsoft® Corporation (KSE: 036570.KS), the world’s leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announces the launch of North American commercial service for Cryptic Studios’ City of Heroes™, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) where players don costumes to become super-powered heroes, and fight against evil to save the world.

City of Heroes is a true departure from the MMORPG market, which is primarily filled with medieval fantasy-based titles. The game enables players to realize their comic book dreams. Heroes protect the fine citizens of Paragon City in a colorful 3-D world where the victims of crimes not only thank players for their help, but they even compliment players on their costumes!
City of Heroes also links with a monthly comic book, which is sent to subscribers free of charge. Rick Dakan and Blue King Studios publish the comic book of the same name. Rick Dakan is one of the original visionaries behind City of Heroes and wrote much of the game’s fictional backstory. The comic also includes fan fiction, fan art, interviews with the developers and tips on playing City of Heroes.
View : : :
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Fun
Apr 28, 2004, 13:34
Re: Fun Apr 28, 2004, 13:34
Apr 28, 2004, 13:34

"CoH has no rewards that aren't tied to leveling up."

You're missing the point. Climbing the level ladder is just a natural byproduct of playing the game. The main "reward" is... steady now... playing the game.

I have thoroughly enjoyed playing City of Heroes for about a month. I can login, meet up with some people, beat up on some bad guys, see a few more entertaining costumes, and leave without having made it to the next level and that's fine. It's fun to get a new power or the ability to improve on an existing power's aspects, but if that doesn't happen, I've had a great time anyway so I don't care.

I've played a smattering of other MMOGs in the past couple of years and they were all interesting in some way or another, but only Toontown has come close to being so purely focused on the player having fun whether or not advancement occurs in a given play session.

If you (and I mean the general "you") are so hung up on whether leveling is a critical part of the gameplay, maybe you should look into a different kind of game altogether. Or, as ever, feel free to roll your own.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 13:34.

Re: Resisting urge...
Apr 28, 2004, 13:13
Re: Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 13:13
Apr 28, 2004, 13:13

Screw Korea (no really, why would I care? our IPs are blocked from there server), it's NA[/EU] sucess that matters. It's how populated the server I could (read: could. I'll never waste money on that game after playing in open beta) play on will be.

Well, I'm not gonna debate you on whether we should care about Korea or not, I'm just simply saying that L2 will not flop (as was said) because of the large Asian customer base and NA people looking to migrate from UO or being bored with PvE.

Cons:
Seems like it will just be a lvl grind. Kill baddies, lvl up, get new power, upgrade power... repeat.

Level grind isn't the bad part, it's the DOWNTIME that kills casual gamers such as myself. If I have to level up to get better, so what, I'm doing that in NWN:HotU right now but I like it, my little Dwarf Tank has almost ZERO downtime so it goes fast and smooth. On the flip side, if I dared to solo in EQ around level 20 I would fight for 5 minutes then sit for 20 while I healed or regenerated mana, so in the course of 1 hour I might fight 2 or 3 times for minimal xp... bad, bad, bad.

So the important question, for casual gamers should be..

How bad is the DOWNTIME? (For both Solo and Groups)

That would be great insight into how the game plays.

Re: Fun
Apr 28, 2004, 13:07
Re: Fun Apr 28, 2004, 13:07
Apr 28, 2004, 13:07

This game is just not even close to the same thing as a level grinder. You just had a preconceived idea in your head so your eyes are closed to even see the game for what it is.

Who has their eyes closed?

From what I've read of this game there is nothing to accomplish outside of going up in levels. No money, no toys, just more powers. The only purpose you have is to go up in level so you can get more powers.

How is that not a level grind? What exactly makes it different?

In order to not be a level grind you need some form of purpose aside from simply going up in level. Some reward. CoH has no rewards that aren't tied to leveling up.

Fun
Apr 28, 2004, 12:56
Fun Apr 28, 2004, 12:56
Apr 28, 2004, 12:56

I had a lot of fun playing CoH in early betas... can't wait to check it out in release (when I actually have free time again). I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm not really that big of a superhero comics guy (especially silver ageish stuff), but the character creation is so amazingly flexible I was able to create my own pint-sized ninja (i *am* a saturday kung fu theatre guy). The gameplay was fast paced and fun right off the bat. Even if you don't like superheros, you should check this game out if for nothing else but how cool the character creation is. Good job Cryptic!

Re: Level grinds
Apr 28, 2004, 12:45
Re: Level grinds Apr 28, 2004, 12:45
Apr 28, 2004, 12:45

"I beta tested for three months, which left me with three 10-ish characters and one level 23 character. I still plan on buying the game despite the fact that it continues the 'level grind' trend of other MMO's, that I really wish creative developers (like those at Cryptic) would find alternatives for. The reasons are simple -- it's easier to ignore than most MMO's, you can have fun being a super hero, finding teams or recruiting for your super group. The sidekick system keeps the level grind from interfering with friends who out-level eachother. And making heroes with their own origins and story is just so fun.......and there are so many unique choices, it's rediculous.

I wish there were more things to do that didn't involve leveling, and I've been playing online games and MMO's long enough to know that really the only endless source of challenging gameplay is competition with other players (consensual PvP), but I still love the game. Whether or not I'll be playing it any longer than it takes me to empty out the list of heroes I want to create and play will depend on how good the Villain expansion is.

You seem to have this game all backwards.. This is NOT a level grinding game. In fact there are all kinds of things about the character system that are totally DIFFERENT than any other game. This is a MMO ACTION game where you *HAPPEN* to get more powerful as you play.

This game is just not even close to the same thing as a level grinder. You just had a preconceived idea in your head so your eyes are closed to even see the game for what it is.

Pentium 4 3.12ghz 800 FSB HT
Abit IC7-G MAXX2
1G Corsair DDR-400
40GB Raptor 10,000RPM SATA
120GB 7,000RPM SATA
[b]Radeon 9800XT 425/382 (CAT3.8/DX9) [color=red]3Dmark03 7074[/color][/b]
[color=blueompare [url]http://service.futuremark.com/compar
The Whales name is Bob.

Level grinds
Apr 28, 2004, 12:28
Level grinds Apr 28, 2004, 12:28
Apr 28, 2004, 12:28

I beta tested for three months, which left me with three 10-ish characters and one level 23 character. I still plan on buying the game despite the fact that it continues the 'level grind' trend of other MMO's, that I really wish creative developers (like those at Cryptic) would find alternatives for. The reasons are simple -- it's easier to ignore than most MMO's, you can have fun being a super hero, finding teams or recruiting for your super group. The sidekick system keeps the level grind from interfering with friends who out-level eachother. And making heroes with their own origins and story is just so fun.......and there are so many unique choices, it's rediculous.

I wish there were more things to do that didn't involve leveling, and I've been playing online games and MMO's long enough to know that really the only endless source of challenging gameplay is competition with other players (consensual PvP), but I still love the game. Whether or not I'll be playing it any longer than it takes me to empty out the list of heroes I want to create and play will depend on how good the Villain expansion is.

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 12:11
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2004, 12:11
Apr 28, 2004, 12:11

City of Heroes is the greatest! I am really loving this game. It's the first online game where I can play for a few hours in a group or solo and really accomplish stuff. Missions usually take from 20 minutes to an hour and you can do most missions solo, though the bosses can often be tricky by yourself.

Anyway, I highly encourage people to try the game. The developers are really attentive and have done a good job of creating clean network code. Meaning, the launch won't be a disaster like many other MMOG games of the past.

No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 12:05
No subject Apr 28, 2004, 12:05
Apr 28, 2004, 12:05

I don't care if you can have superstrippers and hookers to give you blowjobs 24-7, this game is an mmo and it sucks.

Level grinds are for idiots.

Press the button 10 times, get a picture of cheese.
Press the button 100 times, get a picture of cheese.
Press the button 1000 times, get a picture of cheese.

on and on...

Lame.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Cool Game!
Apr 28, 2004, 12:00
Cool Game! Apr 28, 2004, 12:00
Apr 28, 2004, 12:00

I picked up a copy yesterday and I have been having a ton of fun making my super hero

I've made about 15 of them now and I STILL cant decide who I want to be. Me and my buddy used to draw Comic when I was a kid and I'm just about able to recreate them using the character maker in this game and that an amazing thing.

Apr 28, 2004, 11:52
Re: Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 11:52
Apr 28, 2004, 11:52

Screw Korea (no really, why would I care? our IPs are blocked from there server), it's NA[/EU] sucess that matters. It's how populated the server I could (read: could. I'll never waste money on that game after playing in open beta) play on will be.

The problem with the game is not PvP IMO (actually, PvP and the later high end content related to it are the best part of the game), but it's the lack of anything else. There's no character customization, very few items, weapons or armors, barely any quests and the few good part of the game are being camped 24/7 by some fuckers that play only to sell the money they make in the game (and that use every exploit possible to make sure you don't stand a chance, and believe me, there's a shitload of these exploit).

So you're left with a game wich only good part is PvP. However, PvP controls are akward at best (you'll need to hold a key when attcking someone, but not always depending if you use a power. Actually, you'll randomly use that key untill you end up killing your opponent/get killed/run away) so you're left with an empty game.

But you don't have to belive me, just take a look at their forums and you'll see for yourself. On the other end, take a look at the CoH forum and you'll barely see anyone complainning about the game (there's a lot of bitching about how the launch was handled, but in the end, it's been a really smooth launch with almost no downtime).

Oh that, and for L2, NA players are seen as second grade cunsomers by NCSoft. You can bet you'll never see a change happening even if every players on the NA server asked fot it. They'll never do anything that could upset Korean players (there's much more then we'll ever be).

Mini Review
Apr 28, 2004, 11:47
Mini Review Apr 28, 2004, 11:47
Apr 28, 2004, 11:47

I got into the beta a few days before the wiped it, and pre-ordered it so i have been playing since sunday. A little mini review of the game:

Overall i have had a lot of fun with this game so far.

Pros:
Fun Fun Fun. Great to get in a group and take on lots of baddies
Easy to learn, quick to do stuff, the interface is well done and easy to master.
City environment is great
Character customization is really detailed.

Cons:
Seems like it will just be a lvl grind. Kill baddies, lvl up, get new power, upgrade power... repeat.
No loot or anything. Influence(basically $) is used to buy upgrades which are used to upgrade powers, or Inspirations.

Not sure if(when) a free trial will be out though.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 11:48.

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 11:45
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2004, 11:45
Apr 28, 2004, 11:45

Sounded good, until the beta. Everything I heard from it just sounds typical, only stripped down more.

I'll openly admit to hating MMORPGS, though. When you only have 4-6 hours of gaming a week, tops, these things are absolutely no fun.

Even when you have more I find them tedious. Just me, though. I'm still waiting for a killer MMORPG, one that rewards you for skill and smarts over time logged on.

And that Auto Duel one. Sounds like a ton of potential.

No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 11:43
No subject Apr 28, 2004, 11:43
Apr 28, 2004, 11:43

If there were a short free trial, I'd be there to check it out. As it is... I'm torn.

Apr 28, 2004, 10:46
Re: Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 10:46
Apr 28, 2004, 10:46

This game isn't going to flop like L2

I think you are forgetting that 500,000 Koreans will be playing L2 so I wouldn't be surprised if L2 has more people on it then CoH, plus not everyone is afraid of PvP MMO's.

I am also interested in trying out a Free Trail of CoH, but I would guess that won't be availible for at least 6 months or so.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 10:47.

Apr 28, 2004, 10:07
Re: Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 10:07
Apr 28, 2004, 10:07

Give in Bronco... Do it, all the popular kids are. No one will like you if you don't...

Seriously try it, it's a lot of fun.

Apr 28, 2004, 10:02
Re: Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 10:02
Apr 28, 2004, 10:02

a while. This game isn't going to flop like L2 and there's nothing in direct competition untill later this year (WoW won't be out for months...)

Resisting urge...
Apr 28, 2004, 10:00
Bronco

Resisting urge... Apr 28, 2004, 10:00
Apr 28, 2004, 10:00
 Bronco

to purchase this game.

I wonder how long until they offer a free trial.

Any guesses?

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
-TPFKAS2S
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older