City of Heroes Live

NCsoft announces that City of Heroes, their superhero MMORPG, is now live. Here's a bit:
Austin, TEXAS, April 28, 2004— NCsoft® Corporation (KSE: 036570.KS), the world’s leading developer and publisher of online computer games, announces the launch of North American commercial service for Cryptic Studios’ City of Heroes™, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) where players don costumes to become super-powered heroes, and fight against evil to save the world.

City of Heroes is a true departure from the MMORPG market, which is primarily filled with medieval fantasy-based titles. The game enables players to realize their comic book dreams. Heroes protect the fine citizens of Paragon City in a colorful 3-D world where the victims of crimes not only thank players for their help, but they even compliment players on their costumes!
City of Heroes also links with a monthly comic book, which is sent to subscribers free of charge. Rick Dakan and Blue King Studios publish the comic book of the same name. Rick Dakan is one of the original visionaries behind City of Heroes and wrote much of the game’s fictional backstory. The comic also includes fan fiction, fan art, interviews with the developers and tips on playing City of Heroes.
View : : :
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

MMORPG fans depress me.
Apr 28, 2004, 22:44
MMORPG fans depress me. Apr 28, 2004, 22:44
Apr 28, 2004, 22:44

Their constant justifications for paying a monthly fee to play Minor EverQuest Mod #15 are so pathetic that I feel actual pity for them. It's like watching a dying chimp obsessively pick at an infected sore on its ass for lack of anything better to do. Like that monkey, MMORPG fans will continue to pick their collective ass until death. How sad.

so can i be a villain or not?
Apr 28, 2004, 22:43
so can i be a villain or not? Apr 28, 2004, 22:43
Apr 28, 2004, 22:43

can i go around smiting inocent people? robbing banks and whatnot? or how about an evil lair to plot my evil deeds?

if so, ill buy.

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active
Doin' it Big

Re: MMORPG Economics
Apr 28, 2004, 22:30
Re: MMORPG Economics Apr 28, 2004, 22:30
Apr 28, 2004, 22:30

"Big Name MMORPG Developer: Our fans are willing to pay $15 a month to run on an electronic treadmill that ultimately gets them nowhere. They even have their own talking points and act as unpaid PR reps whenever we raise the monthly fee! In 3 years, they'll be paying $40, and they will justify it by comparing it to how much they spend on snack food!

Big Name MMORPG Publisher: Excellent!

Big Belly MMORPG Fan: FART!"

I find you very funny. Keep up the good work.

No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 22:22
No subject Apr 28, 2004, 22:22
Apr 28, 2004, 22:22

Face it you addicted whores, MMO's suck dick and you like sucking dick.

The best lines are the ones like:

"Thousands of people play not just me, so it CANT be bad."
"There are dozens of games that use forumla x in thier MMO games so get over it."
"Its not a grind, the fun is just playing the game, me and my 40 friends agree unanimously."

Guess what dickheads, you're opinions mean jack shit when it comes to quality, why? They are opinions, and while the opinons of the masses will always be the most profitable they will never be the most qualified. You don't ask Uncle Joe if your kidney is bleeding, you go to a fucking doctor. So that being said, level grinds are for bitch consumer whores and untill MMO's give up this idea not a single one will be worth playing.

If you don't like my opinion, then be mature and ignore it, otherwise you just prove my point, that you're a bitch consumer whore, for me.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Re: oy
Apr 28, 2004, 21:57
Re: oy Apr 28, 2004, 21:57
Apr 28, 2004, 21:57

I don't understand how people don't "get" the monthly fee for games like this. They are still in the pre-2000 internet free ride mentality. There are signifigant costs of running servers, bandwidth, and especially customer support. The money to pay for that has to come from somewhere.

If you aren't down with that, fine, just go back to playing on your free CS/unreal. Free to you, that is, because someone else is nice enough to allow you to play on their dime by providing the server and bandwidth.

Re: MMORPG Economics
Apr 28, 2004, 21:55
Re: MMORPG Economics Apr 28, 2004, 21:55
Apr 28, 2004, 21:55

Not even sure why Blue even bothers to post MMORPG news anymore. Just brings out the brainless fucknuts with small dicks that never have anything usefull to contribute.

MMORPG Economics
Apr 28, 2004, 21:48
MMORPG Economics Apr 28, 2004, 21:48
Apr 28, 2004, 21:48

Big Name MMORPG Developer: Our fans are willing to pay $15 a month to run on an electronic treadmill that ultimately gets them nowhere. They even have their own talking points and act as unpaid PR reps whenever we raise the monthly fee! In 3 years, they'll be paying $40, and they will justify it by comparing it to how much they spend on snack food!

Big Name MMORPG Publisher: Excellent!

Big Belly MMORPG Fan: FART!

Re: oy
Apr 28, 2004, 21:40
Re: oy Apr 28, 2004, 21:40
Apr 28, 2004, 21:40

I'd love to hear what you classify as a Normal Person if $15 every 4 weeks is expensive.

You live on roman noodles and mac&cheese?

Back here in the real world, having a full-time job (re: Not a highschooler or college failure), $15 is pocket-change, even for a yearly income of $25,000. I make about $31,000.

One night at the movies with my Wife is more than $15, lasts for only 2 hours, and is something you'd occassionaly refer to as a conversation piece. At least with an Online game, you 'are' the game, and not just watching. Well, some of the online games you do more than watch, heh. (Lineage 2, best electronic strip show of the year award).

There are alot more 'bad' movies out there that you'll waste money on seeing than there are 'bad' online games.

Morbidly Obese MMORPG Fan With Acne and Body Odor: That's chump change. I spend twice that on McDonalds cheeseburgers every day. FART! Haha, I just farted! Where are my Doritos?

- That has nothing to do with MMORPG. That's a generic computer user stereotype, so you just pwned yourself.

Re: MMORPG fans are useless.
Apr 28, 2004, 21:29
Re: MMORPG fans are useless. Apr 28, 2004, 21:29
Apr 28, 2004, 21:29

Peasant and smartass mmo basher : $15 a month is exspensive

Normal mmorpg fan with a job : $15 is cheap for good entertainment.

That being said...I tried COH..best part was creating your
character. After about an hour of gameplay I deleted it;
its way too simplisitic and boring.

MMORPG fans are useless.
Apr 28, 2004, 21:12
MMORPG fans are useless. Apr 28, 2004, 21:12
Apr 28, 2004, 21:12

Normal Person: $15 a month is a little steep.

Morbidly Obese MMORPG Fan With Acne and Body Odor: That's chump change. I spend twice that on McDonalds cheeseburgers every day. FART! Haha, I just farted! Where are my Doritos?

No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 20:39
No subject Apr 28, 2004, 20:39
Apr 28, 2004, 20:39

I snapped the other day and am now waiting for my copy of CoH to come here (Sydney) from dvdboxoffice. I wasn't in beta, but my decision to buy CoH is based on the feedback of lots of people who were in the beta.

You know what they all say? It's FUN! None of them seem to care about the lack of crafters, auctions etc. - all of the stuff you get in every other MMO. And why should it matter? If it was just EQ in spandex then what would be the point? What matters is that everyone has reported a very enjoyable gaming experience where leveling is a far lower priority than just having fun.

Also there are major events ot look forward to like Alien invasions (as there was at the end of beta), and the 'City of Villains' expansion will add PvP which will add a new dimension to an already fun game.

And re: monthly fees - maybe they sound over-priced to torrenters who are used to getting everything for free, but for those of us who live in the real world it's not much at all.

http://www.davidcsimon.com

Re: Cool!
Apr 28, 2004, 20:17
Re: Cool! Apr 28, 2004, 20:17
Apr 28, 2004, 20:17

I am disgusted at all the abuse these MMORPG players are having to take from some people on here. Don't you people think it would be much better to just sit and laugh at them instead?

Anyone that pays $50 for a game, then a further $15 a month to play it, when all it consists of is repetative bashing of different size and coloured bad guys, for the purpose of attaining power ups, deserves to be laughed at.

I think they should allow free spectators that can sit and watch them play so we can lol.

Apr 28, 2004, 19:25
Re: Cool! Apr 28, 2004, 19:25
Apr 28, 2004, 19:25

"ts still a good deal. Far Cry didn't last 30 days as far as gameplay. Multiplayer is still a mixed bag, as its 'been there done that' scenario."

This would be true if not for the fact that (A) your average person doesn't have several hours per day to play games, so a single player game takes a far longer time to get through than many who call themselves gamers; and (B) while it is true that the single player portion to many, if not most, games lasts for about a month, if one enjoys the game they'll likely play through again. Just like most can watch a good movie more than once, one can play a good game more than once.

Apr 28, 2004, 18:58
Re: Cool! Apr 28, 2004, 18:58
Apr 28, 2004, 18:58

You kids do realize that you are paying the $40 for the box, the first month is "Free", right? This monthly fee doesn't kick-in for 30days.

So, how many of those offline games do you actually play in a large group with after 30 days? Only a small few. UT, maybe CS for those llama's, and Quake # for those that are colorblind.

Its still a good deal. Far Cry didn't last 30 days as far as gameplay. Multiplayer is still a mixed bag, as its 'been there done that' scenario.

$15 sounds like a lot up front, but you're paying for 4 weeks of entertainment. Thats pretty cheap.

Give it 30-90 days
Apr 28, 2004, 17:42
Give it 30-90 days Apr 28, 2004, 17:42
Apr 28, 2004, 17:42

and you'll start seeing all the posts of people complaining there's nothing to do in CoH. The first impressions will be good, mine were as well. Playing a superhero for the first time in a MOG setting is a bit thrilling. Once you get past the inital wow factor and start really looking at the game, it wears off pretty fast. It could be a lot of fun if they add a TON of content over the next year or so, but as it stands it's not nearly enough to justify a monthly fee.

And as far as the whole economic thing goes the profits can be tremendous when you hit a certain number of suscribers. EQ for example takes in about 5 million per month in profit. Their cost per player is 2-3 bucks per month and the rest is gravy.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

CoH - no long term fun
Apr 28, 2004, 17:41
CoH - no long term fun Apr 28, 2004, 17:41
Apr 28, 2004, 17:41

CoH is an e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y simplistic, pure Action game with about 1-2 months worth of "shiny new toy" fun-value. The problem? For a mmog it's TOO simple.

As one reviewer put it, CoH creates a great first impression and follows it up with easy, fun initial gameplay. But after a couple weeks (or even hours) the novelty wears off, and with No player-housing, No crafting skills, No complex player-economy, No auctions, No player merchants, No storyline, No long term goals, No meta game, No in-game community, No evolving theme or conflict or content... why would you keep on playing and paying $10.00+/mo?

In fact why is it even a -Massively- multiplayer game?

95% of the game is designed to be played solo or with 3-4 others. And even as a simple MultiPlayer game there's no gameplay mechanic that encourages the presence of more than maybe 8 people playing together. So what's "massively" multiplayer about it?

I think within 6 months CoH will be one of those Great Ideas! that comes along every few months like Majestic (ooh X-Files!), Earth and Beyond (ooh space!), Motor City Online (ooo cars!), that look good as a Marketing proposal but flop in actual practice.

LOL
Apr 28, 2004, 17:13
LOL Apr 28, 2004, 17:13
Apr 28, 2004, 17:13

I suppose I'll just have to go back to cutting out comic book characters and flying them across my room

ahh, too rich...

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 17:10
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2004, 17:10

No Shit? A MOB a minute per hour at equal level? Are you sure? It's just very hard to believe. Man, the last time I was able to just cruise and have fun solo'ing in an MMO was UO (Greater Healing Potions).

Does EB allow you to return MMO's in the same fashion as other non-MMO games? If I can truly go in, have some fun without having to sit on my ass for 20 minutes after every battle, then this game sounds good...

Are you sure it's just not certain classes that dominate and have no downtime, aka, 'Tanks' have more downtime then 'Ranged' avatars? Sorry, I just feel like something is missing and I'm trying to cover all the bases, cause if I go by this, create a 'tank' and have to sit 3/4 of the time I'll be very cranky.

Unlike most MMO games this is an action game, not a downtime game. It is action oriented and therefore they have made it in such a way that downtime is very limited.

Tankers and scrappers (melee) have very little downtime. I can usually kill 15 even cons before even stopping (usually from lack of endurance) with my tanker.

Blasters, Defenders and Controllers (ranged, healers and enchanters) have much less defense and hp. If you play them correctly (i.e at range) you will also have very little downtime.

Inspirations (one time use buffs and heals) are very easy to come by and will decrease your downtime even more. Grouping also eliminates downtime virtually altogether.

I was in a full group with tankers, blasters, a defender, and a controller. For 5 hours straight, I never stopped killing, never rested, and had one of the best MMO group experiences of my life. Other than running to the next gang to kill, it was non-stop action and fun.

Life is sexually transmitted.

No subject
No subject Apr 28, 2004, 17:10

agreed

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 17:06
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2004, 17:06
Apr 28, 2004, 17:06

this thread is gay

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.