KOTOR 2 Details

The first of the promised (story) details have appeared for Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords, which is the official title for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 (presumably, as the game has not yet been officially announced). This title, along with a February 2005 release date, can be found in the Knights of the Old Republic 2 first details on Gamesradar (thanks Frans), which also includes a confirmation for paranoid PC gamers that a PC edition of the game is in the works in addition to the Xbox version. Here's a bit on the sequel, which is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment:
Sith Lords is set five years on from KOTOR's conclusion: the Republic has spiralled downward into a vicious free-for-all, the Jedi have disbanded after a civil war and you play the last remaining Jedi. Ooh, we like.

So, unlike in the first game you actually start out as a Jedi. However, this is a bit of red herring. You still won't begin the game with a lightsaber and your Jedi Force powers will be limited as before. But hey, you've just returned from exile and the world's a mess - it takes time to get back into the flow. Not that much time though, and you'll be getting your hands on a lightsaber and ramping up those Jedi powers long before frustration sets in.

So what are the real differences? Well, your leanings towards the light or dark side now has an effect on your party. Start going dark and your team will be influenced by your nefarious ways and begin acting likewise. Which all makes sense to us as it did seem a bit strange that you could be holier than thou or sadistically warped in the first game and it made little difference to those around you beyond the odd 'tsk' here and there.
View : : :
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No mis-spelling
Apr 28, 2004, 14:56
nin

Re: No mis-spelling Apr 28, 2004, 14:56
Apr 28, 2004, 14:56
 nin

In order to allow the story in the sequel to keep parity with the events of the first game, apparently very early-on you'll be asked to recount your version of what happened, and your answers to those questions will form the seed that becomes the story for the second game.

Now THAT'S cool...

http://www.depechemode.com

Apr 28, 2004, 14:27
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 28, 2004, 14:27
Apr 28, 2004, 14:27

Actually, it isn't stated that you begin as Revan, is it? You might just be some Force Sensitive schmuck from some backwater hole who's just learned that he can control something called the Force.

Well, in the article that got scanned-up, all they say is that you won't begin as the same character from the first game, but are instead a veteran of the Mandalorean War who has been conveniently living in exile. Their justification for the loss of the powers sounds a bit like Jedi depression -- you just ain't been interested/focused on the force, and so have lost touch with your power (I'm paraphrasing, but that seems to be the general idea). Plus, they took away your 'saber since exiled Jedi aren't allowed to keep those (for obvious reasons)...

In order to allow the story in the sequel to keep parity with the events of the first game, apparently very early-on you'll be asked to recount your version of what happened, and your answers to those questions will form the seed that becomes the story for the second game.

Sounds like the best way to handle it all, really, as they couldn't possibly allow you to start with exactly the same character, but they still want to carry the story forward from KOTOR in some fashion.. They're gonna make us work for the damn 'saber, tho..

How long do you KEEP those girlfriends, Meatfarts?

LOL, funny (actually not really) you should ask -- we broke up on Friday night, of all the crazy things.. solid nine years of good times down the ol' shitter Now I'm living that horrible sort of exile where I have to get my own beer.. among other things. bleh.

----
The dactylic pentameter consists of too [sic] parts separated by a diaeresis. Each part consists of to [sic] dactyls and a long syllable. The spondee may take the place of the dactyl in the first part, but not in tEh [sic] second... -Harkness.

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 14:50.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

sad
Apr 28, 2004, 08:37
sad Apr 28, 2004, 08:37
Apr 28, 2004, 08:37

Star Wars nerds arguing about the star wars timeline makes baby jesus cry.

Apr 28, 2004, 02:13
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 28, 2004, 02:13
Apr 28, 2004, 02:13

Actually, it isn't stated that you begin as Revan, is it? You might just be some Force Sensitive schmuck from some backwater hole who's just learned that he can control something called the Force.

You know, like Luke Skywalker.

Creston

Simply extend your hand out towards the thing you that you want (a beer, for example) and concentrate intently for awhile. Soon, any person nearby (your girlfriend, for example) will begin to wonder why you are doing that. If they question you, simply steel your gaze, and think harder: you want that beer, and you are going to use the awesome power of the force to put it into your hand.. Eventually, the person watching will begin to feel sorry for you and just give you the beer. Works great

How long do you KEEP those girlfriends, Meatfarts?

This comment was edited on Apr 28, 02:14.

Apr 28, 2004, 02:12
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 28, 2004, 02:12
Apr 28, 2004, 02:12

I use a force pull/mind control combo to grab stuff all the time, it's easy:

Simply extend your hand out towards the thing you that you want (a beer, for example) and concentrate intently for awhile. Soon, any person nearby (your girlfriend, for example) will begin to wonder why you are doing that. If they question you, simply steel your gaze, and think harder: you want that beer, and you are going to use the awesome power of the force to put it into your hand.. Eventually, the person watching will begin to feel sorry for you and just give you the beer. Works great

----
The dactylic pentameter consists of too [sic] parts separated by a diaeresis. Each part consists of to [sic] dactyls and a long syllable. The spondee may take the place of the dactyl in the first part, but not in tEh [sic] second... -Harkness.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Apr 28, 2004, 01:41
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 28, 2004, 01:41
Apr 28, 2004, 01:41

so, with this game and all the jedi fpses having you lose all your powers at the start, do you think that having the force damages your brain?
I dont know about you guys, but if I could grab stuff just by thinking it, I wouldn't be forgetting that any time soon.
And maybe this could explain yoda's grasp of the language.
He learns it, but then just a little while later, its gone.

Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT
Apr 28, 2004, 01:13
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 28, 2004, 01:13
Apr 28, 2004, 01:13

It's sad that I know this.

Yes it is.

But thanks anyways.

I could've sworn I had heard the 4000 years mentioned somewhere (maybe even in game?), but I guess I was mistaken.

Creston

Re: No subject
Apr 28, 2004, 00:01
Re: No subject Apr 28, 2004, 00:01
Apr 28, 2004, 00:01

Who from the original KOTOR is working on it? That's a good sign.

nin,

It's Michael Gallo from the original, who I gather is a producer at LucasArts (at least, it appears as though he is the producer on KOTOR2.. not sure what he did on the orig. game -- I don't have it handy to check).

From squinting at the scans TangledThorns posted a link to earlier, I also made out this info:

Chris Parker, Chris Avellone, Fergus Urquhart, and a few others founded Obsidian after toiling away on illustrious RPG after illustrious RPG (Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, and Fallout to name just the big guns) at Black Isle Studios. In other words, they've done this BioWare spin-off thing before.

Even if these guys make a game that feels very different from the first (which they quite emphatically claim is NOT what they are trying to do), I'm fairly confident it'll be solid.

Can't wait

----
-----

KOTOR has real ultimate power
Apr 27, 2004, 23:58
KOTOR has real ultimate power Apr 27, 2004, 23:58
Apr 27, 2004, 23:58

The truth of the matter is that KOTOR rocked your fucking world because of its amazing storyline and characters, much like ninjas rock bad guys because of their real ultimate power.

Apr 27, 2004, 23:46
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 27, 2004, 23:46
Apr 27, 2004, 23:46

Luke, where did the language originate? Who bastardized it?
'Nuff said.

Every language is just a bastardized version of an even older language, so I'd hold off claiming any spelling or pronunciation is "right" because it's the "original"

Apr 27, 2004, 23:36
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 23:36
Apr 27, 2004, 23:36

Hopefully they'll get Jeremy Soule back for the music. If not him, then Mark Morgan would probably be a good choice.

Apr 27, 2004, 22:36
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 22:36
Apr 27, 2004, 22:36

personally would have preferred a different timeline, even going so far as to go another 4000 years back, into the time of the great Hyperspace War (when the REAL Sith, ie the species, were kicking universal ass), but a good thing about this decision is that you should (and better) meet some of the old characters, which is always fun.

[Comicbook Store Guy Mode] Wrong! Technically they'd go back 1000 years to get to the Great Hyperspace War. [/Comicbook Store Guy Mode]

It's sad that I know this.

Apr 27, 2004, 21:04
Re: No mis-spelling Apr 27, 2004, 21:04
Apr 27, 2004, 21:04

Luke, where did the language originate? Who bastardized it?
'Nuff said.

"It's like "Bang the Drum Slowly". Except the drum's a chick.
- Family Guy
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Hmm...minigames
Apr 27, 2004, 20:45
Hmm...minigames Apr 27, 2004, 20:45
Apr 27, 2004, 20:45

So like...in 5 years how ghetto has pod-racing become?

I had a blast with the racing levels in the first one, even if it was a bit unpolished. If they totally revamp the lame space battles that would be sweet as well.

My long lost fourth cousin, or something
Apr 27, 2004, 19:56
My long lost fourth cousin, or something Apr 27, 2004, 19:56
Apr 27, 2004, 19:56

my ancestor, Noah Webster

Wow, Blue, we're vaguely related. My great-grandmother's great uncle was Noah Webster. You're like a very distant relative I never knew I had, because you are! Weird how these things show up.

And the whole American vs British thing is something I have first-hand experience with. I lived largely in the States up until three years ago, when I moved to Hong Kong. It's still rather British (seeing as it was a British colony for a century and a half), so I've had to learn a fair few new terms for things so I'm not lost when locals (even those who speak English well) are talking. To be honest, I prefer the metric system and many of the expressions, and I've gotten used to cars driving on the other side of the road. Oh, and massive crowds of people who are 6 or more inches shorter than I am (I'm 6'3"...sorry, 1.1 BlueYards). I also weigh 1.25 BlueTons. All hail El Presidente!

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 19:59.

Apr 27, 2004, 18:55
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 18:55
Apr 27, 2004, 18:55

KS, this is STAR WARS we're talking about, the ULTIMATE space opera. I somehow doubt that the "evil ending" was the one used as the backstory for KotOR 2

Although it could be, it would make more sense that way, but I just find it strange considering the way everything Star Wars normally ends. (ie, happy happy sunshine lotus blossom)

Apr 27, 2004, 18:40
KS
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 18:40
Apr 27, 2004, 18:40
KS

> Storywise, it seems a bit weird that the republic would
> be in a free for all, and there are no more jedi, just a
> mere five years after you kicked the Sith's ass,

You mean five years after you kicked the Republic's and Jedi's asses, I believe.

Darth Revan, bless her heart (located squarely under her ample breasts) was well in control of the situation. The bulk of the Republic fleet destroyed, the few remaining Jedi scattered, her own fleet numbering tens of thousands of capital ships and growing, is it any wonder the Republic is in disarray?

"Kneel before Revan!"

"Oh, God..."

"That's 'Revan'."

Yes, it is possible to get 100% evil before you finish Dantooine (as the 2nd world you visit.) I envision a similar path for the new evil, ample-bosomed Jedi...

I hope they put in a slider for things like that and how wide her hips can be.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 18:42.

Apr 27, 2004, 17:55
Re: SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 17:55
Apr 27, 2004, 17:55

Actually I'm just getting around to playing this game the first time through. I gave up on it before the jedi stage previously, but tried it again and am really loving it.

CGW has a nice preview of the game and the story... the only thing I didn't like about the preview is that they had a spoiler about the first game... <hidden text> They kept mentioning that Revak is alive????s}

SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT
Apr 27, 2004, 17:44
SCCCHHHWWWEEETTTT Apr 27, 2004, 17:44
Apr 27, 2004, 17:44

God, more KotOR is just fine, fine news by me. I've been replaying KotOR the past few days, but have been getting supremely annoyed by the fact that ATI's last six drivers just totally fuck up the game in a myriad of ways.

Storywise, it seems a bit weird that the republic would be in a free for all, and there are no more jedi, just a mere five years after you kicked the Sith's ass, but hopefully they'll flesh out the five years inbetween well enough to have this make sense. I personally would have preferred a different timeline, even going so far as to go another 4000 years back, into the time of the great Hyperspace War (when the REAL Sith, ie the species, were kicking universal ass), but a good thing about this decision is that you should (and better) meet some of the old characters, which is always fun. Never has owning an assassin droid been more amusing.

The effect of good jedi / bad jedi on your party is a great, great idea, hopefully it'll get plenty of depth. It would be very cool to have a dark jedi slowly convert that goody two-shoe jedi to the Dark Side.
(or the other way around ofcourse, not saying that I would, you know, just... ehmm.. making idle conversation here...)

Creston

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 17:51.

Re: Redundancy
Apr 27, 2004, 17:36
Re: Redundancy Apr 27, 2004, 17:36
Apr 27, 2004, 17:36

Just a guess, but maybe the Jedi would have more luck if they didn't insist on celibacy...not a good long term strategy for recruiting members.
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older