Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed Details

LucasArts has revealed details about the promised Jump to Lightspeed expansion that will add spaceflight to their massively multiplayer Star Wars game, saying to expect the add-on this fall:
LUCASARTS ANNOUNCES DETAILS OF STAR WARS GALAXIES(r): JUMP TO LIGHTSPEED

Marin County, Calif. - April 21, 2004 - The struggle between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance extends into space with Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed, the first expansion for the award-winning Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing game set in the Star Wars(r) universe. Releasing in fall 2004 for the PC, this highly anticipated addition will dramatically expand the Star Wars Galaxies franchise by providing players more than 15 different vehicles for space exploration and combat.

Starfighters and other starships will be featured in the expansion that can be used for both space exploration and combat, allowing players to join up with allies and fly familiar X-wings and TIE fighters into battle against faction-aligned opponents and AI-controlled ships. Transport ships similar to the well-known Millennium Falcon will also be added into the game, allowing players to venture through space with friends aboard.

Set in the Star Wars timeframe between Episode IV and Episode V, this first extension to the Star Wars Galaxies foundation opens 10 vast and distinct space sectors, spanning from the Core Worlds to the Outer Rim, for players to explore while engaging their opponents in intense real-time combat or uniting with friends in battle or exploration. Players can embark on more than 100 new missions, venturing through asteroid fields, nebulae and space junkyards while honing skills in four new space-specific professions. The game also features two new and completely customizable species.

Since its launch in June 2003, Star Wars Galaxies has allowed players to live the Star Wars saga and become immersed in the classic Star Wars universe simultaneously. Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed continues the full immersion in the greatest Star Wars saga ever told: Yours.
View : : :
62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: from an SWG player...
Apr 23, 2004, 05:51
Re: from an SWG player... Apr 23, 2004, 05:51
Apr 23, 2004, 05:51

Hehe, well some things you say are definetly true. But Honestly I've had lots of fun with the game and they are many things to occupy your time besides grinding and traversing the terrain. However, I dont think i'll renew my subscription after my next 3 months are up, mainly because I feel like moving on to something different (WoW Perhaps if it lives up to expectations) But yeah at launch people were basically paying to play a beta test, and in fact it still can be considered as so. But its the community is what makes it great. Its definetly not perfect, but I enjoyed myself. Making people pay for the space expansion is really shitty though... They really should give it out for free just because the loyal players deserve alteast that much.

Re: from an SWG player...
Apr 22, 2004, 09:21
Re: from an SWG player... Apr 22, 2004, 09:21
Apr 22, 2004, 09:21

Battle droids - This only means the droig engineers are one small step closer to working like they were supposed to be from the *very* start. This far into the game, SOE is basically fixing its own screw ups and repairing basic character classes that it has kept broken from launch. Surely that does not count as adding content.

Missions - Go here, kill this. Go there, get this. Uhh...what else to do...let's add a time limit to them (time constraints are always easier than adding actual depth or content.) With its layout and design, missions from the original Diablo are infinitely more complex.

Theme parks - Again, the biggest part of this is simply fixing yet another part of the game that SOE left broken and unfished from launch. If it is working, go somewhere and kill something or grab something.

Jedi - What exactly is SOE revamping? A broken, incoherent design that SOE came up with for Jedi. Mind you, SOE kept players waiting all this time while it thought out and enabled this system. And what the final system? Grind, grind, grind, grind, grind, grind...some players even having to master a good fifteen professions only to immediately give up all their time and effort (experience cap = another broken system) when they did not find the "right" profession to make them an instant-presto jedi. How long have players been waiting for this? How long ago was SOE made aware of the problems with this system? Why did SOE still go this route? Why has SOE not fixed this immediately?

Vehicles - These just let you traverse the sparse, open landscape a little bit faster. Even with them, you can waste a huge chunk of time doing nothing while trying to finish the latest FedEx mission. Nothing like having to make two or three space jumps, having to wait for the space bus each time, and then spending five minutes just sending your toon in the direction of your waypoint while you fall asleep from boredom or go get a snack. Again, the game lacks overall scope and certainly any substantial elements of fun.

Governments - Get X many people, get Y structure. Hey, look at that - a system based completely off of numbers. This is just like grinding or combat; get a certain number or to a certain number and you win, this time the prize being a token structure. Even then, you better hope the buildings are working, your shuttle port has not disappeared or is not disabled, that taxes are correctly being collected, that the game is not incorrectly updating or shrinking your city, banning is actually working, etc.

The community can be fun if you find a good one, but that is true for anything. The game itself, although not the broken pile of junk it was at first, stil really does not have any depth to it. It looks pretty and seems cool at first, but there is not much of a game here.

You either grind an artisan/merchant character until you have so many credits that you have absolutely nothing to play for (with over ten million credits, I just threw money at everything) or you grind out a completely unbalanced character class. So long as you keep up with SOE's screw ups ("patches" as they call them), you will essnentially be invulnderable 99.9% of the time because of how unbalanced the system is (with major balance issues often being ignored months and months by SOE.) Combat is very clear in the game; you either are the latest 1337 combat class or you immediately lost.

So, if you actually try to be anything other than a combat class, you have effectively lost any and all fights. That is a great <cough> way for SOE to punish people that actually tried to play it "Their way." Continuing with the combat aspect, don't get me started on the broken battlefields or the non-existent galactic civil war. Apparently SW had it all wrong and the rebels ruled everything.

Avoiding going into the macros and hacks :),
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: oh yea
Apr 22, 2004, 08:29
DDI
Re: oh yea Apr 22, 2004, 08:29
Apr 22, 2004, 08:29
DDI

Mundane positions like turret control? Did you play the game? Turret positions on the capital ships always filled up ASAP! Turret gunning was fun as hell. And most of the tech tree wasn't ignored.. commanders chose different paths depending on what the opponent was doing.

And yes not enough advertising kills any games sales, look at Deus Ex.. awesome game, sold like crap and hell any Looking Glass game. Having a large player base for an MMO is esp important.

IT was a revolutionary game.

from an SWG player...
Apr 22, 2004, 05:10
from an SWG player... Apr 22, 2004, 05:10
Apr 22, 2004, 05:10

To all those who are wondering whether or not Starwars galaxies is actually good or not. I picked up the game 4 months ago and I am having a blast. Its true that the launch was aweful and very buggy, but the developers have owned up to their mistakes and have been spending the last year making it better and better. I actually feel kind of sorry for the people who bought it at launch and had to put up with so much crap. However, I can honestly say that the game now is really incredible. They added tons of additional content, many many bug fixes. There are vehicles, player cities and governments, and pretty much everything they promised originally. I'm not a hardcore player so I dont spend all my time grinding xp, but i've managed to master 3 professions playing casually. The best thing about this game though has to be the community, its absolutly amazing. You will meet a lot of great people, and you really have to play the game as part of a guild to get the whole epierience. The graphics still hold up nicely, and they are constantly adding new stuff (Battle droids recently, lots of new missions and theme parks, and coming up is a jedi revamp so players will no longer have to grind to achieve jedi status) Well I'll shup now, and if you've never played it before, there has never been a better time then now to check it out.

www.fightwithhonor.org/

Unless...
Apr 22, 2004, 02:57
Unless... Apr 22, 2004, 02:57
Apr 22, 2004, 02:57

...SOE has made massive, revolutionary changes (fixes) to SWG, I do not really see how this could possibly tied into the gameplay in any successful way. It seems like yet another late, broken thing that they are tacking onto the game - like everything else.

Just like the actual game, it looks or sound neat, but you find out things are not all that deep and fleshed out once you actually play it. All you do is grind - either until you are a multi-millionaire and have nothing else to play for (the story being non-existent, combat being broken, and there being no reward for playing) or you are whatever 1337-until-the-next-patch combat class and then all you do is win each and every battle due to the broken system.

Yay!

Thinking the game is all looks and no brains,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: oh yea
Apr 21, 2004, 23:57
Re: oh yea Apr 21, 2004, 23:57
Apr 21, 2004, 23:57

DDI, I know Allegiance fans. I know they are very nice people, and they like their game very much. I also know they all keep saying, it was because it wasn't advertised enough. Come on. That excuse don't fly in any situation, and it don't work here. Allegiance was borked, and had almost nothing in common with every succesful space sim out there. It just totally abandoned everything that has proven to sell, and just went with whatever they thought was 'revolutionary'.... like having a massive tech tree that is 90% ignored because it takes forever to research it all, and the game is over long before anything gets that high. Or how massive numbers of players are forced to fill mundane roles like ..... turret control. Or the goofy way capital ships and bombers are tailed by Nanite-repair players. Yes, players who do nothing but point a healing gun at a bomber and drop mines. It's all unique.... and most people who played it thought it was pretty crappy too. Sure as hell not worth a monthly fee.

Re: No subject
Apr 21, 2004, 23:46
DDI
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 23:46
Apr 21, 2004, 23:46
DDI

you must suck at space sims then.

or you obviously never played one.

Yea uh obviously.. twist/turn joystick mash joystick fire button until target dies.

Zinged

Apr 21, 2004, 22:53
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 22:53
Apr 21, 2004, 22:53

When did a Star Wars fighter ever have a HUD? Ok, the crosshair. But not more. There were always realistic cockpit gauges, MFDs, etc. But this one looks like some nintendo 64 game. I wouldnt be too surprised if its no real time at all. I bet its more like:

Click on target to attack.
Please wait.
You try to hit a_lesser_TIE_fighter_newbie_007 with your Ion cannons, but miss.
Get closer to hit this target.
You try to lock on a_lesser_TIE_fighter_newbie_007 with your missles, but fail.
You must wait a few moments before using your missles again.
You hit a_lesser_TIE_fighter_newbie_007 for 1 damage.
You try to hit shit, but you miss the fire button.
A_TIE_advanced_002 hits you for 200 damage.
Your shields are gone.
You have been slain by a_TIE_advanced_002.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 22:55.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Apr 21, 2004, 22:48
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 22:48
Apr 21, 2004, 22:48

The fuck you did Halsy, your viewpoints were all wrong and retarded

Thank you for so clearly helping to illustrate my point. 'Nuff said.

"To a surprising extent the war-lords in shining armour, the apostles of martial virtues, tend not to die fighting when the time comes. History is full of ignominious getaways by the great and famous."
- George Orwell
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: I just wonder
Apr 21, 2004, 22:41
Re: I just wonder Apr 21, 2004, 22:41
Apr 21, 2004, 22:41

Also, if they want to make ANY kind of impact with this, they'll have to come up with some way to beat the lag that killed X vs Tie and similar titles.

Won't the increased availability of broadband help with this?

You'd think so, but not so we've noticed, right? Most MMORPGS still suffer from lagbubbles, and while it's no big deal if you're standing on some hill watching some bunnies, it's a bit more annoying in a twitch environment such as a space sim

I don't play SWG myself, a good friend in Europe does, though, and he says that he still lags pretty badly. Not sure if this was the MMORPG he played on a European server though, so it might just be his connection to the US.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's definitely something that they need to battle as rigorously as possible, maybe even up to the point of dropping packets of ships that aren't involved in your combat in favor of making sure the packets of the ship you ARE in combat with get through. That this will cause weird "jump" effects from the other ships once the battle is over, so be it.

Creston

Apr 21, 2004, 20:58
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 20:58
Apr 21, 2004, 20:58

halsy is never wrong! u take that back right now!

Apr 21, 2004, 20:39
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 20:39
Apr 21, 2004, 20:39

i think those screenshots don't show readouts for well.... screenshot purposes. Looks more movie-like if you disable HUD stuff, you know.

After seeing those screenshots, I'm convinced the X-wing Alliance people are behind this..... and instead of releasing an update to their long standing X-wing series.. they thought "Hey, maybe we can release it in a monthly play system and screw all our stand-alone fans over! bahahahhahahahhaha............................. BAHAHAHAHHA!"
Well, I hope this works out. Personally I feel that most space sim fans are NOT RPG fans. My friend who loves RPGs..... hates space sims. A friend who is a joystick jockey... hates RPGs. The game play styles are radically different (duh). But eh whatever

I hope you're right dude, but I keep thinking that if it was a mere update to the Larry Holland sims, that they would be throwing his name around and capitalizing on the success he made of that series of sims

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 21:33.

Apr 21, 2004, 20:36
nin

Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 20:36
Apr 21, 2004, 20:36
 nin

Glad you're not taking it personally...

http://www.depechemode.com

Apr 21, 2004, 20:12
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 20:12
Apr 21, 2004, 20:12

What I really love is the X-wing concept art is made from various different in-game models, like the fact that the laser's are actually HAR's. Gotta love that; I feel even more justified in having left this game after seeing this tripe.

Apr 21, 2004, 19:42
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 19:42
Apr 21, 2004, 19:42

"I posted a realistic review"

No subject
Apr 21, 2004, 18:51
No subject Apr 21, 2004, 18:51
Apr 21, 2004, 18:51

swg as of right now is sorta fun till you see everything there is to see. and that will be pretty fast. not too much to do either.

the space expansion will decide how long my subscription goes.

Im now looking for reasons to keep my SWG account active
Doin' it Big

Apr 21, 2004, 18:19
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 18:19
Apr 21, 2004, 18:19

i think those screenshots don't show readouts for well.... screenshot purposes. Looks more movie-like if you disable HUD stuff, you know.

After seeing those screenshots, I'm convinced the X-wing Alliance people are behind this..... and instead of releasing an update to their long standing X-wing series.. they thought "Hey, maybe we can release it in a monthly play system and screw all our stand-alone fans over! bahahahhahahahhaha............................. BAHAHAHAHHA!"
Well, I hope this works out. Personally I feel that most space sim fans are NOT RPG fans. My friend who loves RPGs..... hates space sims. A friend who is a joystick jockey... hates RPGs. The game play styles are radically different (duh). But eh whatever

Apr 21, 2004, 18:05
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 18:05
Apr 21, 2004, 18:05

There are fanboys for every MOG, regardless of the degree of how good or bad it is. I posted a realistic review of CoH, and got gangraped by a bunch of 14 year old, retarded crack addicts for daring to chastise their holy grail.

I'll probably give this a look, as Kurt is a good buddy of mine in real life.

"To a surprising extent the war-lords in shining armour, the apostles of martial virtues, tend not to die fighting when the time comes. History is full of ignominious getaways by the great and famous."
- George Orwell
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Apr 21, 2004, 17:57
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 17:57
Apr 21, 2004, 17:57

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
SWG is the best MMORPG out. The space sim will only make that much better.

See this is the sad thing about SWG, there are fanbois out there so fanatical that it doesn't matter how much it SWG is shown to suck, and they even know, deep down, that it sucks, but they'll play it anyway.

Which is why SWG still exists.

Apr 21, 2004, 17:30
Re: No subject Apr 21, 2004, 17:30
Apr 21, 2004, 17:30

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
SWG is the best MMORPG out. The space sim will only make that much better.

62 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older