Painkiller MP Demo May 3

Painkiller multiplayer demo due May 3 on GameSpot has word to expect the multiplayer demo for Painkiller on May 3: "The demo will allow players to blow each other to bits in two modes: the self-explanatory Deathmatch and Voosh, a Deathmatch variation where players are given random weapons--but unlimited ammo--for a limited time. It will also feature two maps: DM-Sacred and DM-Cursed and will include all the updates and optimizations from the upcoming 1.1 patch."
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

painkiller is cool...
Apr 21, 2004, 17:48
painkiller is cool... Apr 21, 2004, 17:48
Apr 21, 2004, 17:48

/me loves the stake gun

I'm having fun with it. It's like most people are saying, fun in spurts. It's a great mindless timekiller.

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!"
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

I like Painkiller
Apr 21, 2004, 08:49
I like Painkiller Apr 21, 2004, 08:49
Apr 21, 2004, 08:49

As someone already said, it's great in short bursts. I couldn't sit down and get lost in this game for 6 hours at a time like i can in far cry, but for a half hour adreniline burst, it's great fun.

In regards to the vehicles in Far Cry, I agree that they are mostly useless, but in going back to the level at the beginning right before you get to the ship where you need to retrieve the life boat, I decided to not stop and try to kill all the jeeps in the sand and the patrol boat, and instead just floored the jeep, trying to dodge the gunfire from the patrol boat, and raced across the sand and up into the jungle beyond. Some mercs were firing at me when I got there, but I just kept it floored, dodging trees and parrots. All of the sudden, as I bounced up a hill, I flew off the cliff in front of the lagoon by the carrier. I was launched over THAT patrol boat, and left the jeep right before it hit the water, which left me about ten feet from the hole in the side of das boat. A few breaststrokes later, I was in.

In retrospect, much cooler than my first time through just sneaking through the woods. Thats the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back to far cry.

Oh yea, I like Painkiller.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

boring..
Apr 21, 2004, 07:50
boring.. Apr 21, 2004, 07:50
Apr 21, 2004, 07:50

This game is boring. I can't believe they didn't put in coop in multiplayer, which is the only reason I bought both serious sam titles. Either way, serious sam was way cooler than this room-to-room arena game.

Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass
Apr 21, 2004, 07:31
J/K
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 07:31
Apr 21, 2004, 07:31
J/K

finally somebody else says it Currently I am much more stunned about the blind rave far cry gets, than about the game itself. yes its pretty and yes its fun for some of it, but it does indeed have some seriously idiotic game design decisions, that start to reduce the game to being pretty and not much more for me.
alone the fact that you have vehicles all over the place, but actually using them is a pain in the butt, not only because the steering isn't exactly smooth, but because they are simply useless.
you are much more likely to be killed instantly when driving anywhere where enemies are.
I could go on and on, but I don't want to risk spoilers for those who didn't play much of it yet.

and the engine itself, although impressive for the outdoor rendering, is pretty uneven when you don't ignore how bad it often runs indoors.

I do like the game, but I don't like how the reviews I have seen so far give it an almost blind praise.

This comment was edited on Apr 21, 07:36.

Apr 21, 2004, 06:17
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 06:17
Apr 21, 2004, 06:17

i just find the texture quality a bit poor, especially on the models.

I was bored...
Apr 21, 2004, 06:16
I was bored... Apr 21, 2004, 06:16
Apr 21, 2004, 06:16

...last weekend and picked up Painkiller. Surprisingly, it is quite fun and charming. It really is only good for short burts, but it is a nice mix of Quake and Serious Sam.

Suggesting it to fans of either game,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Apr 21, 2004, 05:02
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 05:02
Apr 21, 2004, 05:02

What the hell are people talking about, the game not having good graphics?

because the game isn't buried in shiny normal maps the graphics "suck". Evidently in todays mindset "Good graphics" = everyone and everything in-game must look like its coated in Polyurethane.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New sig under construction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 21, 2004, 02:55
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 02:55
Apr 21, 2004, 02:55

What the hell are people talking about, the game not having good graphics?

The atmosphere is great, and the fireworks you can shoot that hisses and screams and flies all over the place, rules.

What really sold me on this game was the cool enemies. A samurai that will harakiri(sp?) when low on health, the somersaulting ninjas, the mental patients with being constantly brainfried - They are all really, really great, original mobs. Bravo, developers.

I've heard alot of people are having problems with the jumping puzzle in the castle. For those of you who doesn't know what it is, it's a place on a top of a tower where you have to jump on the top of the railing and on to another roof. I had to read an FAQ on how to find the secret place, but the jump itself is fairly straightforward. You just need to realize that this game has even easier aircontrol than Quake1 - Nothing fancy pancy, just turn the mouse in the air, and you go that way.

Anyway, enough - Great game

Apr 21, 2004, 01:55
Flo

Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 01:55
Apr 21, 2004, 01:55
 Flo

Off topic, but you can save manually in Farcry via the console. As for Painkiller, I just entered the castle level on nightmare mode and it's tons of fun. Now they really really have to fix the netcode as even with a 90ms ping it's unplayable. And yes, UT2K4 deathmatch is really extremely boring, whereas CTF is my favorite mode at the moment.
Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

Apr 21, 2004, 00:19
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 21, 2004, 00:19
Apr 21, 2004, 00:19

Sometimes I just wonder if I'm starting to outgrow games to a certain extent. I honestly don't remember the last time I've actually thoroughly enjoyed a game. Even farcry started getting on my nerves in the missions of island hopping where dieing on the next island sent you back to the previous island, losing 20ish minutes. That shit gets old fast. Never did finish the game. Still an impressive engine, but some of the game design decisions in alot of games are just retarted IMO.

Apr 20, 2004, 19:50
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 20, 2004, 19:50
Apr 20, 2004, 19:50

I haven't played MP just yet as I want to beat the SP game first. I've loved the Demo's and I'm 2/5 to 3/5 done with the SP and still love it. Comes down to taste obvisously, but this reminds me of Doom 2 with it's dark atmosphere and eerie ambient sound effects and throw in some 'minor' Serious Sam influence in some rooms and for me, at least, it's a dam fun game. It's a nice change of pace to laugh once and while while playing a game.

Apr 20, 2004, 19:17
Re: Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 20, 2004, 19:17
Apr 20, 2004, 19:17

Even though this game never made it to my wish list, I've already spent over 200 bucks on UT 2004, BF:V, SC:PT & FarCry. Well see if the MP is fun while it lasts.

Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass
Apr 20, 2004, 19:10
Rollercoaster of Thrills, Suckass Apr 20, 2004, 19:10
Apr 20, 2004, 19:10

"Mediocre" and "intracate" [sic] are two entirely different things.

Intended intricacy or not, one can only assume it's supposed to be fun. Mediocre gameplay does not generally equate to good times.

This is a game that tries a little too hard. The action fluctuates between pure adrenaline and braindead routine. Somewhere inbetween lies "mediocre".

Re: How's the multiplayer in full version?
Apr 20, 2004, 19:07
Re: How's the multiplayer in full version? Apr 20, 2004, 19:07
Apr 20, 2004, 19:07

To actually answer the question about Multiplayer...it is great DM gameplay that is very very similar to Quake DM gameplay. Personally I don't like UT2k4 straight DM, its boring and the weapons are not suited well for it at all.

As I said Painkiller is very reminiscent of Quake DM right down to Rocket/Chain and the Lightning gun are king. Control those weapons, and control the Quad if key to winning. Rocket jumping is also back with a vengeance.

Most of the levels are best for 2v2 or 4v4. A few others are best with 4 to 8 players. Just my opinion but pure deathmatch has not been this good since Quake 2. There are many great MP games out there these days and most are focused on teamplay, and the Deathmatch is just not as good.

If you like old run and gun FPS for both SP and MP(Quake, Serious Sam), then Painkiller is the answer.

I will say that Painkiller needs some more work on the netcode, it can be flakey at times.

Re: No subject
Apr 20, 2004, 19:00
Re: No subject Apr 20, 2004, 19:00
Apr 20, 2004, 19:00

its not supposed to have intracate gameplay

He said the gameplay was mediocre i.e. the game was mediocre. Mediocre does not mean intricate. Very different things. And I don't think any game is supposed to have mediocre gameplay...except maybe Daikatana =).

No subject
Apr 20, 2004, 18:34
No subject Apr 20, 2004, 18:34
Apr 20, 2004, 18:34

The charm of the physics wore off for me in less than an hour, at which point I realized that this game is just mediocre in terms of actual gameplay. IMO of course.

its not supposed to have intracate gameplay

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

Re: Undecided On This One
Apr 20, 2004, 18:04
Quboid

Re: Undecided On This One Apr 20, 2004, 18:04
Apr 20, 2004, 18:04
 Quboid

No co-op is the turn-off for me too. Run and gun games are still fun, but run and gun with friends is just so much better.

Quboid

Bought it this Sunday
Apr 20, 2004, 17:55
Bought it this Sunday Apr 20, 2004, 17:55
Apr 20, 2004, 17:55

This game = teh fun

I knew when I got the urge to replay the demos for the third time, I must get the full game.

The only annoying part is that there are some really annoying jumping puzzles. You don't have to do a single one (yet) to beat the game, but if you want to unlock all the black tarot cards, you have to do quite a few.

Anyone who has found all the holy items on the Castle level knows what I mean (and I hear the City on Water level also requires you to reach some really hard to get to spots to unlock its card as well).

Re: Undecided On This One
Apr 20, 2004, 17:48
Re: Undecided On This One Apr 20, 2004, 17:48
Apr 20, 2004, 17:48

the deciding point on this one was that the multiplayer is DM-style stuff only...there's NO CO-OP. this is a Serious Sam clone without the single reason SS was a hit.

Undecided On This One
Apr 20, 2004, 17:22
Undecided On This One Apr 20, 2004, 17:22
Apr 20, 2004, 17:22

I've thought about buying it - especially since I can get it cheaply from Play.com - but then again, the two SP demos didn't drive me crazy with excitement. The game looks good (visually) for sure, and the audio is ok, but....well... maybe I'm just jaded but I can't get into the old skool Doom/Serious Sam-style shooters anymore. I appreciate that there are gamers out there who like the retro-style fragfest aspect of it, but I can't in all honesty say I'm one of them. Looks good for what it is though.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older