3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Cheating Sharks!
Apr 20, 2004, 18:24
Re: Cheating Sharks! Apr 20, 2004, 18:24
Apr 20, 2004, 18:24

Now I have a smacktalk excuse if they manage to beat the Avs in a game this series. Seriously though, it's pretty cool they are using the DVR technology like that already, pretty smart.

Yeah, it definitely is cool. For the record though, the Avs will do more than just lose a game to San Jose, they're going to lose the series. AVS ARE GOING DOWN!!!! Hehe, sorry, I'm a bitter Canucks fan (particularly after last night's loss in game 7), and pretty well all Canucks fans hate Colorado this year.

PZ
------------
Reading: Gary Entsminger's "The Tao Of Objects"
Listening To: Nothing in particular
This comment was edited on Apr 20, 18:25.
PZ
------------

BBC/Apple Article
Apr 20, 2004, 15:39
BBC/Apple Article Apr 20, 2004, 15:39
Apr 20, 2004, 15:39

Apple says it is incorporating speech technology into new versions of its OS X operating system which will make Macs more accessible to users who are visually impaired as well as people with learning difficulties.

...Gotta say I'm more than a little bit confused about what's being announced here, as anything the BBC article mentions is not only a feature that is currently in MacOSX (every version up to, and including 10.3.3), but was in the MacOS even before OSX!!

Shit -- OS8 had Spoken User Interface (they called it Talking Alerts back then). All OS9 added was speech recognition on top of all that. At one point I had gotten so used to speaking my login password to my Mac, that I forgot how to type it one morning, having left my mic at home... Maybe they're adding more natural sounding voices?? I dunno..

It's just an odd story, because everything they're talking about is sitting here next to me on this G5 -- found in the preference panes "Speech" (oddly enough), and "Universal Access" (the high-contrast, large-type stuff).

Apart from a few name changes and such, that's pretty much where those features have been since ~1997

edit: My bad. OS8.6 added Plain Talk -- "a collection of software programs that let your Macintosh speak written text and respond to spoken commands. PlainTalk 1.5.4 includes English Text-to-Speech, Mexican Spanish Text-to-Speech, and English Speech Recognition." So that'd be '97 for text-to-speech, '99 for speech recognition..

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60339

----
The dactylic pentameter consists of too [sic] parts separated by a diaeresis. Each part consists of to [sic] dactyls and a long syllable. The spondee may take the place of the dactyl in the first part, but not in tEh [sic] second... -Harkness.

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 20:12.
-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Cheating Sharks!
Apr 20, 2004, 13:13
Cheating Sharks! Apr 20, 2004, 13:13
Apr 20, 2004, 13:13

Now I have a smacktalk excuse if they manage to beat the Avs in a game this series.

Seriously though, it's pretty cool they are using the DVR technology like that already, pretty smart.

3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older