Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Heroes of the Pacific Announced

Heroes of the Pacific has been announced (thanks GameSpot), a World War II combat flight sim in the works at Encore. According to GameSpot: "The World War II combat flight simulation game, which will be shown for the first time at next month's Electronic Entertainment Expo, is in development for the PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox." Here's more from the website:

With the attack on Pearl Harbor, the US military mobilized. Common men rose to the challenge and became heroes in the skies, seas and beaches of WWII's Pacific Theater. Heroes of the Pacific is an epic WWII flight combat game that begins with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and unfolds in epic detail through the battles of Midway, the Coral Sea, Wake Island, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal.

You are the hero whose skill guts and determination will win or lose the war. Mastery of over 25 actual WWII aircraft is crucial as is maintaining focus in the thick of a 300 plane dog fight with planes exploding and smoke trails blocking views. Command a squadron of 32 AI planes, work with friends through online connections, or go it alone to achieve the battle objectives. Make it through alive while upholding integrity, courage and American ideals to become a hero of the Pacific.

View
19. Re: Whee! Apr 20, 2004, 02:20 Jerry S Ku

I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction. Instead, it's been 2-4 years of tons of WW2 games of pressure on that knee, and now the knee has reacted.

Anyway, flight sims will focus on WW2 games for a looooong time coming. Although WW2 and it's aviation technology was only around for about 7 years, all the other years in the 20th century feature either planes that are TOO SLOW.... or planes that are too fast and feature beyond-visual-range missile combat. So there's a good reason for a WW2 flight sim again... cuz that's really the only kind of flight sim that can sell. Jet sims have a billion buttons and MFD readouts to keep track of. I loved being in my F-22 in Total Air War, punching away at different MFD functions and such. But the learning curve was steep. WW2 sim curve? Grab a joystick and pull the trigger. :-p Not to mention that WW2 sims are the only sims that have a reason to put up hundreds of bombers in the air for you to gape at. Every modern sim, you see a pair of planes and that's about it.

Personally, I wanna see someone breathe new life into the modern sim genre by NOT being realistic, but taking what is cool about modern sims, and modifying it into some sorta sci-fi alternate reality world. You know, kinda like Macross Zero's take on modern jets

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Apr 19, 18:53 No subject Nonicknameforme
  2. Apr 19, 19:04  Re: No subject monkeydust
  3. Apr 19, 19:05 Whee! Halsy
  16. Apr 19, 20:26  Re: Whee! Tango
  17. Apr 19, 22:02   Re: Whee! sc4r4b
  18. Apr 19, 23:45  Re: Whee! Shadowcat
>> 19. Apr 20, 02:20   Re: Whee! Jerry S Ku
  22. Apr 20, 03:07    Re: Whee! gerauchertes
  23. Apr 20, 09:08     Re: Whee! sc4r4b
  4. Apr 19, 19:10 Re: Westerns JAGUART