Heroes of the Pacific Announced

Heroes of the Pacific has been announced (thanks GameSpot), a World War II combat flight sim in the works at Encore. According to GameSpot: "The World War II combat flight simulation game, which will be shown for the first time at next month's Electronic Entertainment Expo, is in development for the PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox." Here's more from the website:
With the attack on Pearl Harbor, the US military mobilized. Common men rose to the challenge and became heroes in the skies, seas and beaches of WWII's Pacific Theater. Heroes of the Pacific is an epic WWII flight combat game that begins with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and unfolds in epic detail through the battles of Midway, the Coral Sea, Wake Island, Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal.

You are the hero whose skill guts and determination will win or lose the war. Mastery of over 25 actual WWII aircraft is crucial as is maintaining focus in the thick of a 300 plane dog fight with planes exploding and smoke trails blocking views. Command a squadron of 32 AI planes, work with friends through online connections, or go it alone to achieve the battle objectives. Make it through alive while upholding integrity, courage and American ideals to become a hero of the Pacific.
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: I'm down with SBD
Apr 21, 2004, 14:00
Zor
Re: I'm down with SBD Apr 21, 2004, 14:00
Apr 21, 2004, 14:00
Zor

I'm really excited about this title, and I'm also a big ww2 fan. I have yet to find a ww2 flight title that's suited my style, and the modern sims are just that.. sims. Way too realistic to be fun. Not only that, but the combat is never up close and personal like it was in ww2. Hell, I think the last flight game I really enjoyed playing was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Now THAT is an old title.

So far, the screenshots of HotP make it look like the battles from the recent Pearl Harbor film, which were amazing IMO. I hope they keep that look to them in-action. And, like, wow. They used AA! Who'd a thought?

Key elements (IMO) for this game to succeed:
1. next-gen graphics (which we already see are there)
2. movie calibre sound. I want the audio experience of a game like this to rock me like Pearl Harbor did when I saw it in one of the IMAX theaters here in Houston.
3. control--it's being designed on consoles, so I'm guessing the flight control is already being designed for fun rather than busy work. Sure, I want to be responsible for some things a pilot had to be aware of, but not all of it. And holy crap, can we remember that LANDING a plane is NOT fun and NOT easy. If you want your game to frustrate people, make them have to land their plane each mission, or they can't win. BLEH!
4. Co-op campaign/missions.(I think HotP has this?) Dev's seem to have forgotten about this over the last 6 years or so. Guys, co-op is still amazingly fun, and stretches the life of nearly every title that includes it.
5. gripping music. Please, dear lord, have a cinema-composer write up a score for this game.
6. in-game voice communication for multiplayer (I'm sure it's included with the Xbox version, but don't forget PC!)

anyways, I love how this game looks, and I can't wait to see videos of it (and more screenshots). I'm glad it's taking place in the pacific too, since it hasn't been done very much in games that were any good.

Re: I'm down with SBD
Apr 20, 2004, 22:06
Re: I'm down with SBD Apr 20, 2004, 22:06
Apr 20, 2004, 22:06

Battlehawks 1942 was great, and its has been one of games we played a lot when designing this project. So rest assured if you liked Battlehawks, you should like Heroes. Like Battlehawks its an arcade game at heart, not a flight sim.

There's more than just the setting...
Apr 20, 2004, 12:47
There's more than just the setting... Apr 20, 2004, 12:47
Apr 20, 2004, 12:47

It's important to note that there's more to a game than its period setting. HotP promises some intense atmosphere and story elements to move the game through a series of historically accurate missions (to some degree...you need to retain the fun factor, afterall). Sure, this has been done in games like MoH and CoD, but I think there's a reasonable distinction between the gameplay and atmosphere of an FPS and that of a flight/action game. The "landscape", instead of the demolished urban environments, or the forests, or the castles of an FPS, is instead the clouds, the earth, and the constantly changing and shifting positions and strategies of the other aircraft engaged in the battle. The flight/sim takes on a dynamism that other games don't quite match.

I guess I'm trying to say that dismissing a game based on the year in which it is set is simply ignoring everything about what makes the game what it is. A game is more than its setting, it's the everything that goes into that game. Otherwise, you could just as easily make the argument that any game set "in the future" with sci-fi elements is like any other sci-fi game, and yet, that's what you seem to be begging for. What's the distinction? It's the game.

No subject
Apr 20, 2004, 09:41
No subject Apr 20, 2004, 09:41
Apr 20, 2004, 09:41

As long as a game is good, I don't care what its setting is. I'm not going to join the popular shit-on-anything-ww2 group

Re: Whee!
Apr 20, 2004, 09:08
Re: Whee! Apr 20, 2004, 09:08
Apr 20, 2004, 09:08

Mmmm... Robotech. *drool* [/homer]

the greater wrong of the right --
http://www.skinnypuppy.com/

Apr 20, 2004, 03:07
Re: Whee! Apr 20, 2004, 03:07
Apr 20, 2004, 03:07

Personally, I wanna see someone breathe new life into the modern sim genre by NOT being realistic, but taking what is cool about modern sims, and modifying it into some sorta sci-fi alternate reality world. You know, kinda like Macross Zero's take on modern jets

I've been thinking the same thing for a while. It's strange that it's never been done even within the WWII genre, considering developers of WWII sims have no trouble tossing in aircraft that never made it off (or even onto) the drawing board.

If they just can't avoid making WWII titles, at least they could freshen it up some by doing something like unifying the Allies and Axis in a parallel 1943 to combat an alien invasion or something. You know a cooperating Mitsubishi/Boeing/Messerschmitt/Gloster design team working with captured reptiloid tech would come up with something pretty fucking slick.

Your breakdown of the popularity of the two primary flightsim genres is mostly right on, but conspicuously absent from the equation is the half century following WWII. There's been something like one Korea sim, and that's pretty much it. Where's my fucking Skyraider already?

What if I made a time machine, went back to 1928 and killed off Hitler...then took a slow boat to Japan and knocked out the military government...would that fix everything?

Probably not. There's no way to really predict what the Japs are going to do. You could go ahead and do Hitler, because why not, but Rockefeller, Bush and all the rest of their investor-banker pals will just find another insecure, genocidal Austrian asshole to throw cash at until the desired result is achieved. So you'd actually have to nuke Wall Street to stop it. But that would mean you'd have to travel to 1945 first to get the bomb, and then head to the 1930's to obliterate New York and probably D.C. as well (just to be sure), and who really wants to go to all that trouble?
This comment was edited on Apr 20, 03:56.

What if...
Apr 20, 2004, 03:06
What if... Apr 20, 2004, 03:06
Apr 20, 2004, 03:06

...I made a time machine, went back to 1928 and killed off Hitler...then took a slow boat to Japan and knocked out the military government...would that fix everything?

I'm down with SBD
Apr 20, 2004, 02:21
I'm down with SBD Apr 20, 2004, 02:21
Apr 20, 2004, 02:21

LucasFilm's Battlehawks 1942 was the first PC title that really hooked me. I never got into AotP for some reason and never got past the first mission of Pacific Strike, which basically told me to fuck off with my 4MB of RAM shortly after firing it up for the first time.

That was the last I touched a Pacific flightsim, and if any others have showed up between then and now, it must have happened during the couple or so years I went without electricity. Now we've got this one and that thing Oleg's working on; I'm looking forward to 'em.

Apr 20, 2004, 02:20
Re: Whee! Apr 20, 2004, 02:20
Apr 20, 2004, 02:20

I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction. Instead, it's been 2-4 years of tons of WW2 games of pressure on that knee, and now the knee has reacted.

Anyway, flight sims will focus on WW2 games for a looooong time coming. Although WW2 and it's aviation technology was only around for about 7 years, all the other years in the 20th century feature either planes that are TOO SLOW.... or planes that are too fast and feature beyond-visual-range missile combat. So there's a good reason for a WW2 flight sim again... cuz that's really the only kind of flight sim that can sell. Jet sims have a billion buttons and MFD readouts to keep track of. I loved being in my F-22 in Total Air War, punching away at different MFD functions and such. But the learning curve was steep. WW2 sim curve? Grab a joystick and pull the trigger. :-p Not to mention that WW2 sims are the only sims that have a reason to put up hundreds of bombers in the air for you to gape at. Every modern sim, you see a pair of planes and that's about it.

Personally, I wanna see someone breathe new life into the modern sim genre by NOT being realistic, but taking what is cool about modern sims, and modifying it into some sorta sci-fi alternate reality world. You know, kinda like Macross Zero's take on modern jets

Apr 19, 2004, 23:45
Re: Whee! Apr 19, 2004, 23:45
Apr 19, 2004, 23:45

> How about a good western ala Outlaws

Uh, because that would be a sensible replacement for a WW2 Pacific theatre flying game. Sure.

Jeez, people. WW2 wasn't a little scuffle that can be summed up with a handful of books/films/games. It lasted for six years, was fought on multiple fronts, must have involved most if not all of Europe, and affected the world for a long long time.

Just because a game is set in WW2 doesn't mean it will be the same as any other game set in WW2. Sure it could be, and sure several of them are, but if it's a good game than this is irrelevant, and if it's a bad game a different setting isn't going to save it.

Seeing the same knee-jerk reactions over and over is far more tiresome than the announcement of a new WW2 game ever is.

This comment was edited on Apr 19, 23:47.

Apr 19, 2004, 22:02
Re: Whee! Apr 19, 2004, 22:02
Apr 19, 2004, 22:02

Yeah, I am up for a good western game myself. Bank robberies, train heists, 2 bit whores...

*edit spelling
the greater wrong of the right --
http://www.skinnypuppy.com/
This comment was edited on Apr 19, 22:02.

Apr 19, 2004, 20:26
Re: Whee! Apr 19, 2004, 20:26
Apr 19, 2004, 20:26

How about a good western ala Outlaws (Outlaws II would own)?
Yup. Western games need to be cinematic, and Outlaws hit it perfectly - that first cutscene was about 10mins long and hasn't (in terms of setting up the story) been bettered. Also, the "where are you Marshall?" cries were just classic. Outlaws with the Source / DIII / UT2004 / Unreal3Tech / FarCry engine (delete according to Fanboy tendencies) would rock. And rideable horses would bring a new dimension to the driveable vehicles fashion. I once thought about the practicalities of making a good western mod, and decided that animating horses properly would be a nightmare.

Re: No subject
Apr 19, 2004, 20:13
DDI
Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 20:13
Apr 19, 2004, 20:13
DDI

Maybe you fuckin monkeys think theres no demand but the suits see there is

and Hi you braindead morons there have been next to none pacific theater ww2 flight sim games thx

No subject
Apr 19, 2004, 20:07
No subject Apr 19, 2004, 20:07
Apr 19, 2004, 20:07

WW2 might be interesting for a handful of war geeks, but I think the percieved demand for this bullshit FAR, FAR, FAR OUTWEIGHS the actual demand... only a handful of war geeks are truly interested in WW2 - most people just want games where they shoot guns and make em go "BANG!"

i prefer sci-fi or fantasy myself, but im a different kind of geek

and this lame ass crap: "tow the line, accept the lowest common denominator because everyone else likes it" might be great for all you braindead morons that cant make your own fucking choices about what you actually like, but people with independent thought have other options

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: Excellent
Apr 19, 2004, 19:54
Re: Excellent Apr 19, 2004, 19:54
Apr 19, 2004, 19:54

"Real mature... Also, don't post about nerds on a gaming site that you regularly visit."

Shutup NERD

Apr 19, 2004, 19:40
Quboid

Re: Excellent Apr 19, 2004, 19:40
Apr 19, 2004, 19:40
 Quboid

Real mature... Also, don't post about nerds on a gaming site that you regularly visit.

Quboid

Might be fun...
Apr 19, 2004, 19:36
Might be fun... Apr 19, 2004, 19:36

I'm all for good WWII areal combat games, and it can't be much worse than SWON. If it's "crimson-skiesish" enough, I'll be happy.

Re: Excellent Apr 19, 2004, 19:36

Well, we are glad YOU still like WWII games. I'll check them out again in 10 years or so. I've had my fill and then some.

I like the post apoc idea. Something in between WWII and SPACE would be nice.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Apr 19, 2004, 19:30
Re: Excellent Apr 19, 2004, 19:30
Apr 19, 2004, 19:30

"Newsflash to gamers - devs make what sells. WW2 sells. Why? Because enough gamers want it. Me included. For me, WW2 isn't something that's "done" when a load of games set in that period are released. WW2 is interesting to me and many others to an extent that no other historical period can come close so I will always want good games set in this period.

Particularly good flight games. When was the last good WW2 flight game? IL2 is legendary and IL2:FB is new enough, but it didn't quite click for me - too detailed and slow. Before IL2 ... EAW? That's ancient. CFS1 is aswell, I don't know about CFS2 but CFS3 is just awful. SWoN isn't a flight game, it's a shooter game like space invaders, and doesn't have any kind of multi which is important to me. I don't know how realistic this will be. It'll be on consoles which pretty much means it won't be IL2 detail. I just hope it will be much higher detail than SWoN, something like EAW would be fine by me - flaps up/down keys = good, fuel mixture keys = bad, if you get my drift.

If this game is what I hope, it's closest competition is EAW, released in 1998. That's hardly game overload. I don't think there can be too many WW2 games at all, but I'm certain that there aren't too many moderately realistic WW2 flight sims (EDIT: or moderately realistic flight games of any time period, hint hint devs).

Quboid"

How can you pilot an aircraft with your greasy nerd hands?

Re: No subject
Apr 19, 2004, 19:28
Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 19:28
Apr 19, 2004, 19:28

Fuck yeah, I can finally play in a world war 2 setting. Now if they could only add vehicles this would be the best game ever. Wait no, they'd still need to add online capabilities and battle objectives.

update: HOLY SHIT THEY ADDED ALL THAT AND A BAG OF CHIPS, GET YOUR MONEYS READY FOR THIS GROUND BREAKING EXPERIENCE

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older