Out of the Blue

The Wizard Entertainment Website has the distressing tale of the condition of famed X-Men artist Dave Cockrum, who is suffering from complications of diabetes and pneumonia in a V.A. hospital in the Bronx, separated from his (legally blind) wife, who remains in their South Carolina home (which he has never seen). That post is actually a month old now, brought to my attention by the folks at Hypothermia where they are looking to raise money to help Dave relocate near his home and family for further treatment. Dave is an enormous talent whose revival of the X-Men franchise along with Chris Claremont is arguably the reason Marvel still even exists today, and with the success of the two X-Men films, he has obviously helped make some people stinking rich(er). So it's a shame that appreciative fans are needed to step in to make up for the shortfalls in support from Hollywood, much less a grateful nation (I don't know the extent of Dave's service other than that he's in a Veteran's Administration hospital, and that he spent six years in the Navy during the time of the Vietnam War). Here's hoping this works out better in the future than it has so far, and that these efforts can assist in Dave's recovery from his various ills.

Links of the Day:: FanPants. Thanks Jim Chaney.
The Museum of Burnt Food.
Stories of the Day: Height a Pain for Ukraine's 'Gulliver'. Thanks Ant.
Dog found 6 days after avalanche kills owner.
Science!: Millions of locust-like insects to swarm parts of the US.
Metal coolant adds to space junk risk.
Follow-up: NASA completes first steps toward returning shuttle to space.
Thanks Mike Martinez
View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: No subject
Apr 19, 2004, 06:48
Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 06:48
Apr 19, 2004, 06:48

I can't believe Marvel or 20th Century Fox wouldn't do this for the man given how much money they've made because of him. I mean these assholes probably blow more on an exec power lunch than it would cost to ship this guy home. It's sickening.

"To a surprising extent the war-lords in shining armour, the apostles of martial virtues, tend not to die fighting when the time comes. History is full of ignominious getaways by the great and famous."
- George Orwell
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Apr 19, 2004, 06:10
Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 06:10
Apr 19, 2004, 06:10

You know what? Screw the contest. Although not the same, I can associate many of the circumstances with my own mother. Sick...unable to move...just wanting to be %$%$$# home...having your life be on the line...your loved one(s) being distraught... Watching my mother drown herself from the water seeping into her lungs is one of the monst painful and horrific things that I have ever watched and gone through.

I just sent in a larger-than-$5 donation with the request that it have nothing to do with the raffle. For the less kind-hearted of you, what the hell does $5 matter? Heck, you may even win a "1337" system for the price of a Starbuck's coffee.

Let's help out a chummer...

Wishing the Cockrums well,
Ray

-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Safe Shuttle, Fan Pants, Kill Bill 2
Apr 19, 2004, 03:52
Re: Safe Shuttle, Fan Pants, Kill Bill 2 Apr 19, 2004, 03:52
Apr 19, 2004, 03:52

Taking it further, but was I the only one that found the fan pants thing just a little bit off?

Safe Shuttle, Fan Pants, Kill Bill 2
Apr 19, 2004, 03:49
Safe Shuttle, Fan Pants, Kill Bill 2 Apr 19, 2004, 03:49
Apr 19, 2004, 03:49

On a different note, there's something fundamentally strange about running a contest based on unique serial numbers on cushiony butts. Strange like how the final quote from the nasa article says the new and improved shuttle will be the safest aircraft ever flown. And just where are they planning on flying it?

Apr 19, 2004, 01:44
Re: No subject Apr 19, 2004, 01:44
Apr 19, 2004, 01:44

here is a VA hospital in Coatesville, PA about 1.5 hours from me. My uncle spent some time there dealing with the diabetes and alcoholism and whatever else he picked up in Viet Nam (aside from two bronze stars and visiting several countries the US denies being in).

That was the most depressing, scary place I've ever been.

Truly sad to see veterans treated so poorly.

As if "The Ville" wasn't scary enough already. Yeah, that place is HUGE. I've driven my pop there on a few occations...its huge buracratic cluster *$#&, with tons of full time workers who never seem to be doing anything

For all the money it must cost to run that place, its such a shame it all thoes resources can't be used more effectively.....
--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Re: 60 Minutes
Apr 18, 2004, 22:03
Re: 60 Minutes Apr 18, 2004, 22:03
Apr 18, 2004, 22:03

If the "legally questionable" movement of funds from the Afghan War is a prosecutable case, we might have ourselves an impeachment

Would have to see the wording of the appropriations bill obviously. If it's even the slightest bit questionable, however, then there should be an independant prosecutor appointed. I doubt that they'd have as wide a berth as Kenneth Starr had, but going into an election with a special prosecutor sniffing around is not a good thing.

To divurge wildly -- did your neighbors end up getting kicked out nin? Never heard anything beyond the Uhaul appearing (at 11:45 pm? Presuming you're Eastern TZ).

Re: 60 Minutes
Apr 18, 2004, 21:01
Re: 60 Minutes Apr 18, 2004, 21:01
Apr 18, 2004, 21:01

I didn't watch 60 Minutes but I just read the summary on the 60 Minutes website. Scary shit.

This is pretty major news. Some of the major outlets are running with it already. If the "legally questionable" movement of funds from the Afghan War is a prosecutable case, we might have ourselves an impeachment.

Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT.
This comment was edited on Apr 18, 21:27.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

No subject
Apr 18, 2004, 20:55
No subject Apr 18, 2004, 20:55
Apr 18, 2004, 20:55

Ok, your link says there's been a settlement between him and Marvel, and they'll be paying him royalties (granted, they're not specifying how much). Not trying to be a cheap ass, but does he still need donations?

I feel as bad for the guy as I should, but I agree.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

60 Minutes
Apr 18, 2004, 20:35
60 Minutes Apr 18, 2004, 20:35
Apr 18, 2004, 20:35

Man, did you see Wooward?! I knew Bush was a freak, but that's just insane. They really need to impeach him now. I think it's funny that people are actually surprised that Bush and his Saudi pals would manipulate oil prices for his political benefit. You can also look for other big ticket items coming this election year like Bin Laden's capture and a few major terrorist attacks. This guy will go to any length to maintain power.

http://www.americanprogress.org/site/pp.asp?c=biJRJ8OVF&b=45897

"To a surprising extent the war-lords in shining armour, the apostles of martial virtues, tend not to die fighting when the time comes. History is full of ignominious getaways by the great and famous."
- George Orwell
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: hmmm
Apr 18, 2004, 19:16
Re: hmmm Apr 18, 2004, 19:16
Apr 18, 2004, 19:16

w00t.

Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

hmmm
Apr 18, 2004, 18:31
hmmm Apr 18, 2004, 18:31
Apr 18, 2004, 18:31

w00t?

Apr 18, 2004, 16:05
Bronco

Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 16:05
Apr 18, 2004, 16:05
 Bronco

.the VA hospital, jesus. I probably shouldnt make a blanket statement saying all VA's are lousy

There is a VA hospital in Coatesville, PA about 1.5 hours from me. My uncle spent some time there dealing with the diabetes and alcoholism and whatever else he picked up in Viet Nam (aside from two bronze stars and visiting several countries the US denies being in).

That was the most depressing, scary place I've ever been.

Truly sad to see veterans treated so poorly.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com
-TPFKAS2S

No subject
Apr 18, 2004, 15:13
No subject Apr 18, 2004, 15:13
Apr 18, 2004, 15:13

God help the guy....the VA hospital, jesus. I probably shouldnt make a blanket statement saying all VA's are lousy but my Dad, who for years suspected he had heart problems, was told it was anxiety (they actually suggested he be admitted to the psych ward for evaluation, he told them to stuff it). It got to the point where he had chest pains and had to be rushed to the local (re; not VA) hospital where they diagnosed advanced heart disease after running a battery of tests he had never gotten at the various VA's in the northeast he had gone to. After a bypass operation he felt better than he had in years.

Then theres the time that 3 different doctors had him on over 16 different medications (all VA, all the same hospital each not bothering to check with his other physicians who worked in the same bldg.) some of which we found out later had the potential to be fatal if mixed.

anyhow, I hope this guy makes out better than my Dad did...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
New sig under construction.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: God Bless America
Apr 18, 2004, 14:59
nin
Re: God Bless America Apr 18, 2004, 14:59
Apr 18, 2004, 14:59
nin

http://www.davecockrum.net/ has all the latest details.

Ok, your link says there's been a settlement between him and Marvel, and they'll be paying him royalties (granted, they're not specifying how much). Not trying to be a cheap ass, but does he still need donations?

http://www.depechemode.com
This comment was edited on Apr 18, 15:00.

Apr 18, 2004, 14:43
Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 14:43
Apr 18, 2004, 14:43

At the expense of sounding insensitive (and that is not my desire), I was always under the impression that it was John Byrne, Chris Claremont, Terry Austin and Jim Shooter that was really the driving force behind the new XMen's success (granted Cockrum drew XMen #94 and others but the series didn't really take off until Byrne and Claremont were at the helm).

In any case, Cockrum's contributions are noteworthy and I certainly have compassion for his current situation. I hope things improve for him and his family.
ZigZang

Apr 18, 2004, 14:31
Re: God Bless America Apr 18, 2004, 14:31
Apr 18, 2004, 14:31

http://www.davecockrum.net/ has all the latest details.

This comment was edited on Apr 18, 14:32.
www.popularculturegaming.com

No subject
Apr 18, 2004, 14:13
No subject Apr 18, 2004, 14:13
Apr 18, 2004, 14:13

Man that sucks, poor guy. Thats alot worse than a stomach flu.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Apr 18, 2004, 14:11
Re: No subject Apr 18, 2004, 14:11
Apr 18, 2004, 14:11

thaks for the post blue... i too was unware. always been a huge comic and x-men fan. anyways, hopefully some more peeps will contribute.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave
dave snider
comicvine.com

No subject
Apr 18, 2004, 13:57
No subject Apr 18, 2004, 13:57
Apr 18, 2004, 13:57

"Back from the war
Covered in red, white and blue
So here I am
But I got nowhere to go

Heaven help you now...

Monkey man
This is not garden of eden
Take a look
Who will eat and who gets eaten?"

- David Byrne

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Apr 18, 2004, 13:53
nin
Re: God Bless America Apr 18, 2004, 13:53
Apr 18, 2004, 13:53
nin

I just emailed the guys at Penny Arcade with the links...hopefully they can organize something?

http://www.depechemode.com
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older