More on AC Expansion

Following up on the story below, Turbine Entertainment officially unveils plans for a new Asheron's Call expansion, to be the company's first self-published title. Here's the deal:
TURBINE GREEN LIGHTS NEW ASHERON’S CALL® EXPANSION PROJECT

Expansion Pack Is Company’s First Self-Published Video Game

WESTWOOD, Mass. – April 13, 2004 –Turbine Entertainment Software Corp. today announced that fans of the award-winning 3D massively multiplayer online role playing game Asheron’s Call® (AC) will receive a new expansion pack in early 2005. Available for the PC, the latest AC installment will offer fresh challenges to experienced players while welcoming new gamers to the colorful and exciting fantasy world of Dereth.

“When Turbine first created Asheron’s Call we knew the game would be exciting, but we couldn’t have imagined it would have such an overwhelming following of dedicated players,” said Jeffrey Anderson, president and CEO, Turbine Entertainment Software. “This expansion is a great way to say ‘thank you’ to all of the AC1 players. They are the reason that AC will remain a popular and exciting online role playing game for a long time to come.”

The Asheron’s Call expansion pack is the first video game completely self-published by Turbine Entertainment Software. In addition, this project will be the first title developed in the company’s new West Coast Studio located in Santa Monica, Calif. The expansion pack will be the third installment in the original AC series, following the launch of Asheron’s Call in 1999 and the Asheron’s Call: Dark Majesty® expansion published in 2001.

Key Expansion Pack Features

• Graphics Upgrade: A substantial upgrade of Turbine’s first generation graphics engine, the Turbine Engine®, which serves as the backbone to Asheron’s Call. The upgrade is expected to more than double the original texture size, resulting in more detailed characters, creatures and landscapes. Most importantly, the improvements won’t significantly impact performance, allowing robust play even on lower-end machines.

• New Elder Game: An intricate and involved strategic resource and land control system that will allow players to compete for enhanced skills and town ownership. Through a new land-raid system, players will also be able to invade other allegiance’s territory and attempt to plunder the opposition’s resources, skills and abilities.

In addition to these key features, there will be many new stories, monsters and hours of additional game play. Turbine also plans to support the expansion’s release with a new story arc promoted through in-game episodic content. This approach will further build upon the massive amounts of existing content by providing new and exciting story lines and adventures. Turbine will release further details about the new chapter – such as the complete feature set – in future announcements. Additional information about the Asheron’s Call video games can be found online at http://ac.turbinegames.com.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

so..
Apr 13, 2004, 11:53
so.. Apr 13, 2004, 11:53
Apr 13, 2004, 11:53

they are expanding AC 1 & 2 simultaneously?

- Dr.Del
- DrDel

Re: so..
Apr 13, 2004, 11:59
Re: so.. Apr 13, 2004, 11:59
Apr 13, 2004, 11:59

AC2 is contracting, not expanding.

No subject
Apr 13, 2004, 12:20
No subject Apr 13, 2004, 12:20
Apr 13, 2004, 12:20

I was in the AC2 beta. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Nice looking visuals though

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: No subject
Apr 13, 2004, 14:59
Re: No subject Apr 13, 2004, 14:59
Apr 13, 2004, 14:59

AC1 in contrast was near perfection =]

Re: No subject
Apr 13, 2004, 18:21
Re: No subject Apr 13, 2004, 18:21
Apr 13, 2004, 18:21

Weird. Might as well release a UO expansion. Whatever, I guess if enough people are still playing then might as well.

Awesome
Apr 13, 2004, 19:11
Awesome Apr 13, 2004, 19:11
Apr 13, 2004, 19:11

AC1 was a fantastic game, by far the best MMORPG I have ever played (until all the idiotic patches in 2001/2002, but even then it was still the best). If this expansion is good I personally know a few people who would start playing it again. The Allegiance vs. Allegiance game sounds very cool.

Re: Awesome
Apr 13, 2004, 19:36
Re: Awesome Apr 13, 2004, 19:36
Apr 13, 2004, 19:36

Agreed. AC1 was the first MMORPG I ever played, and I attribute some of my affection for it to that. I stopped playing in 2001/2002 as well (mostly because I got a job and didn't have time to waste on that anymore). But the world was huge, I loved being able to just romp around to wherever I fancied, by whatever path I fancied, discovering little (or big) temples and huts and sometimes even dungeons that few people had ever seen or paid much attention to. The world was ridiculously rich, and so was the story. That was one of my favourite things about it.

Recently, I've been craving some MMORPG goodness, but keep coming up short. I really tried to love FFXI, but in the end I just found it bland and dreary. Let's not even mention Shadowbane. *groan*

Add one more to your list of people who may take another look at AC if the expansion is good.

Re: oy
Apr 13, 2004, 21:05
Re: oy Apr 13, 2004, 21:05
Apr 13, 2004, 21:05

--"I was in the AC2 beta. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
Nice looking visuals though"--

Um, this press release isn't about AC2. WTF?

You know, before AC2 there was a game that was just called Asherons Call.

--Depending on how the screenshots look (once they take some), count 2 more people that will probably go back.

Why more AC1 after AC2 ?
Apr 13, 2004, 22:01
Why more AC1 after AC2 ? Apr 13, 2004, 22:01
Apr 13, 2004, 22:01

I don't understand why one company spends resources on 3 different versions of the fantasy milieu.

Can someone enlighten me on why a new customer would choose AC1 versus AC2?

I did the EQ thing when it cam out of the gate but don't want to spend time on that type of grind anymore.

Re: Why more AC1 after AC2 ?
Apr 14, 2004, 20:50
Re: Why more AC1 after AC2 ? Apr 14, 2004, 20:50
Apr 14, 2004, 20:50

Can someone enlighten me on why a new customer would choose AC1 versus AC2?

Because AC is farrrr better than AC2. I played AC for 18 months or so. Never became mega - didn't macro. I know plenty of people got where they are on AC by solid gameplay but plenty of others just downloaded scripts. And despite all the shitty script kiddies and bots it is still the best MMORPG I played, just edging Anarchy Online out. In the end it was the crappy grafix that made me move on. Granted I actually started playing Dragonrealms again shortly after - best grafix in an MMORPG ever. L33T VR jacking. Nice.
I played EQ for 2.5 years and to this day still think it's the best implementation of a MMORPG ever (based on when I left about 2.5 years ago) by which I mean the milieu rather than the actual gameplay. Unfortunately it was so polarizing for me that I loved it and I hated it at the same time. I have to grind a real life job, I don't want to pay somebody else for the privilege.

As for AC2, I played it for a short while, maybe 4 or 5 months (the only game I played shorter was Neocron. Ye gods, I played that for about 2 months, infrequently, and never got out of the sewers. The interface and premis was horrible.) and enjoyed it okay but it was too easy. It's like somebody got a design document and crossed off everything that pisses off players, they just forgot to add the stuff players enjoy. There's a case to be made that AC2 was designed with Xbox in mind. Now that's not an issue there could be a makeover. I really hope Turbine do well in the next few years - they deserve to. And for the record, yeah I am/was an AD&D nut.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer