A Far Cry from PCs

Ubisoft sends word that Far Cry, Crytek's recently released first-person shooter, is "to be re-imagined on select next-generation consoles" in a new game called Far Cry Instincts being created "from the ground up" at its Montreal Studio. The game doesn't yet carry a release date nor are the target consoles specified. Word is: "Just as Far Cry redefined the FPS genre on the PC, Far Cry Instincts will introduce wide open environments and unique, immersive gameplay elements that are destined to become the definition of survival action. In addition to the PC version's signature locations, non-scripted A.I., and unprecedented view-distance, Far Cry Instincts will feature brand new gameplay scenarios that will challenge players to use an even broader range of strategies and survival tactics in order to uncover the many secrets within the beautiful-but-deadly islands." In similar news (thanks Frans), Ubisoft also: "announced today that Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3: Black ArrowTM for the Xbox video game system from Microsoft will launch in August 2004. Developed by Ubisoft's Montreal studios, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3: Black ArrowTM improves upon the most successful Xbox LiveTM game of all time with new single- and multi-player missions, new online modes, split-screen for cooperative gameplay, and a host of new features that maximizes the possibilities of Xbox LiveTM. In fact, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® 3: Black ArrowTM will be the one of the first games to deliver the new Xbox Live 3.0 features to the gaming community."
View : : :
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: All your Far Cry are belong to me!
Apr 8, 2004, 18:00
Re: All your Far Cry are belong to me! Apr 8, 2004, 18:00
Apr 8, 2004, 18:00

Cool - - WAY more than I needed - - thanks!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Apr 8, 2004, 16:32
Re: All your Far Cry are belong to me! Apr 8, 2004, 16:32
Apr 8, 2004, 16:32

There's several actually , but I've had some funky experience with script states not saving with any of them, so I forego them for now, and I'd wait for the official patch. Otherwise, check out the thread on

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=452106891&m=504105513

I know where all the savepoints are now, so if I feel I've been doing enough to warrant a save, I saunter over to the nearest savepoint.

That still doesn't mean I think checkpoint saves are any good, and it does mean that every game simply should HAVE quicksaves. If you don't want to use them, then don't. I love that argument some people have that "Well, I don't want them, but if they're there, I can't resist the temptation to use them, and so it ruins my game."

Apparently willpower is something that today's generation no longer has.

Creston

Apr 8, 2004, 11:07
Re: All your Far Cry are belong to me! Apr 8, 2004, 11:07
Apr 8, 2004, 11:07

What's that console save command again?

All your Far Cry are belong to me!
Apr 8, 2004, 05:15
All your Far Cry are belong to me! Apr 8, 2004, 05:15
Apr 8, 2004, 05:15

• Far Cry is amazing and incredibly fun.

• I do not think that the game has necessarily redefined FPS gaming, but it sure raised the bar. About every game I have right now seemingly "sucks" compared to Far Cry on at least one level. The game was fun, had amazing graphics, was gigantic in size, smart(er) AI, and ran well. How many developers forget these?

• Controllers are hardly accurate. Yes, you can make them work - you can make any input device work for a game - but you have to mold the design and gameplay around it. For consoles, this often means some type of auto-aim, inaccurate NPCs, and/or limiting having NPCs above or below you. For pure accuracy, you would be an idiot not to want a mouse over a controller.

• Let's all send some love out to Logitech's MX510. :o

• As far as I am concerned, Crytek gave me the first DX9/wow/fun/big FPS in quite some time. No waiting for Doom 3 to get finished or Half-Life 2 to get its act together - give me some Far Cry fun right now! If they can bring equal amounts of fun and gaming goodness to the consoles, more power to them.

• The console has a save game command. Learn it. Use it. Love it.

• I loved the mutants, especially the small ones. Kill or be killed.

• If you take it slowly, the dam level is not that bad.

• The ending sequence/last area were really stupid, though.

Off to do another level of SC:PT,
Ray

Edit: Character fix.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
To not comprehend life is completely absurd.
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection.php?username=ray_marden
I love you, mom.
This comment was edited on Apr 8, 05:17.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Console FPS Control
Apr 8, 2004, 00:03
Re: Console FPS Control Apr 8, 2004, 00:03
Apr 8, 2004, 00:03

The trick, I found on the forums, is to go back to the ammo room, and push a chair all the way to the exit, so that it keeps the first door jammed open. Then, you run out, get everyone's attention, then go back inside, and casually pick off the fat guys as they come to the door. They're too tall to enter, and don't shoot since they can't see you, and it's cake. Then, you snipe the foot soldiers, which is easy pickin's without rockets up the anus.

Now tell me that this game isn't fucking amazingly cool and open ended.
I never even thought of that, the developers probably didn't either (since they close the door for a frigging REASON, ie, to have you sitting there facing death), but the fact that you CAN do it just fucking rocks. Thanks for posting that tip btw.

What jump? Theres a log you can use to walk across the lava.

Also the end levels were as hard as any end levels should be in an FPS. Most games they are too easy and you are great I beat that now what.. I yelled fuck yea at my monitor when I finally beat that lobby boss fight. I feel boss fights should take multiple tries to beat

No, I mean the jump just after the log. (Although the log is fucked up as well, with that little branch in the middle that always pushes you off the fucking thing).

And yes, I agree that the final levels SHOULD be hard. However, these levels are hard in a totally different way from the rest of the game. There is no stealth. There is no sniper rifle for you to use until you get to that satellite dish. There is no place to hide. It's SO radically different from the gameplay in the rest of the game, that it feels almost as if you're suddenly playing a different game. Also, hard should be because of the setup of the enemy, them laying ambushes for you, etc.
Not hard because they simply put fifteen rocket monsters in there, each of whom takes two full clips out of your OICW to put down, unless you get totally anal and aim for their head with every shot (which I had done the first time, and then missed the damn jump.)

I love Farcry, but that final level just outside the volcano just pisses me off.

Creston

Edit 2 : I spun around and THWAP! One a them Trigen bastards swiped at me and I screamed like a little girl and practically fell out of my chair

Only gamers will admit honestly that they screamed like a little girl.

Final edit (honestly) : (Descent - almost 10 years ago! and I would argue it still gives Far Cry's AI a run for the money).

Descent?? All that AI did was hunt you down or wait for you to show behind the corner so they could nail your ass. There was absolutely no fooling it ever, even if there was actually a level in which you COULD circle around and get behind it. IIRC.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 00:13.

Reimagined
Apr 7, 2004, 20:41
Reimagined Apr 7, 2004, 20:41
Apr 7, 2004, 20:41

This is game company bs for "we have to strip it to make it fit within the limitations of console systems, and re-work the controls because console pads suck for shooters"

No subject
Apr 7, 2004, 19:53
No subject Apr 7, 2004, 19:53
Apr 7, 2004, 19:53

you watch wang wash wang?

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)
Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

Re: redefined?
Apr 7, 2004, 19:21
Bob
Re: redefined? Apr 7, 2004, 19:21
Apr 7, 2004, 19:21
Bob

It's pretty easy to get an xbox live game patched. All you do is turn on the game and log in and it's automatically updated.
Splinter Cell PT multiplayer menus now work fine. They used to crash because of the network lag test or something.

Re: Best Game EVAR!
Apr 7, 2004, 18:57
Re: Best Game EVAR! Apr 7, 2004, 18:57
Apr 7, 2004, 18:57

When you play Doom or whatever and try today's flavor of the month, there really isn't much of a difference. I still love Far Cry, though.

I agree. Far Cry is fun, but it's hardly revolutionary. About the only category it's really upped the ante in is render distance. Drivable vehicles and open maps have been done before (Operation Flashpoint, BF1942, Mafia), Quality AI has been done before (Descent - almost 10 years ago! and I would argue it still gives Far Cry's AI a run for the money).

IMO, Far Cry is too shackled to the typical FPS conventions to really call it anything more than a pleasant surprise. The plot is basically Half-Life in the Jungle, the weapons are the same-old same-old, the monsters are especially uninspired (the demon-monkey, the rocket-hulk, zzzzz..), and the gameplay degrades from stealth & tactics in the jungle levels to spastic gunplay in the "Doom-crawl" portions.

Still, a good engine and the gameplay is good enough to amuse me until the next Mafia or Deus Ex comes along.

Apr 7, 2004, 17:52
Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 17:52
Apr 7, 2004, 17:52

One a them Trigen bastards swiped at me and I screamed like a little girl and practically fell out of my chair

LMAO

Why the hell can't somebody make a keyboard/mouse controller for Xbox FPS games? I too bought an Xbox just for Halo, and I couldn't stand it -- I gave up and waited for Halo on PC. I love racing games on the Xbox, but FPS games bite big time. I would pay a fair price for a keyboard/mouse controller. Hell, I'd pay an unfair price!

Apr 7, 2004, 17:20
Re: Best Game EVAR! Apr 7, 2004, 17:20
Apr 7, 2004, 17:20

A lot of people still play Wolfenstein, Doom and other classics today. Hell, I find time every week to play through one of the original Doom's episodes. With a little thing called Doomsday ( http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ ) and a collection of high resolution textures and models, it looks nearly as good as Quake 3.

When you play Doom or whatever and try today's flavor of the month, there really isn't much of a difference. I still love Far Cry, though.

Apr 7, 2004, 16:57
Re: Best Game EVAR! Apr 7, 2004, 16:57
Apr 7, 2004, 16:57

#30 Great post, I totally agree. I tried to play Doom II a few weeks ago and guess what, it sucked!!! It was almost funny how bad the graphics were back then. I though to myself I actually play this game for hours on end, WTF was I on, crack?! Ok ok it was cool 10 years ago but you can not compare it to Far Cry, Far Cry is everything I ever wanted in a FPS to date. Game of the year 2004 unless D3/HL2 pull it off.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 17:07.

Consoles crash
Apr 7, 2004, 16:41
Consoles crash Apr 7, 2004, 16:41
Apr 7, 2004, 16:41

Or should I say Xbox.

First off, I have just got Farcry and been playing it nonstop with out a single crash. This is good considering its so new.

My Xbox on the other hand has been the very first console I have ever owned which has crashed but hey, why should microsoft break the habbit of a life time.

Lucky for me I won a Xbox, I wouldn't waste any money on getting one.

Also for the record, it hasn't been modded. Its a plain Xbox out of its box.

What you all are missing...
Apr 7, 2004, 16:19
What you all are missing... Apr 7, 2004, 16:19

Is that Crytek did the PC version FIRST and are doing another version for the consoles.

None of this co-development crap like Deus Ex 2.

And I honestly think there is room for FPS's on all systems, console and pc IF and that's a big IF, the control system designed for the game can handle it ie:Halo. Which in my opinion had the best control system of any FPS I've played to date on a console.

Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 16:19

Same general feeling here: Best FPS since... uhhh... can't even come up with a comparable shooter...

And I've still got several levels to go (don't think I've hit the River one yet so am looking forward to it).

I'll never forget that moment when I was on an open beach, very focused on the rocket launching bastards in front of me and I suddenly heard this growl behind me. I spun around and THWAP! One a them Trigen bastards swiped at me and I screamed like a little girl and practically fell out of my chair. The bastard had somehow circled around and got behind my line of sight.

Far Cry is not perfect (what is?). But it is great.

Best Game EVAR!
Apr 7, 2004, 16:14
Best Game EVAR! Apr 7, 2004, 16:14
Apr 7, 2004, 16:14

In the face of recent FPS Halflife just aint that good anymore sure it was great in its day but video games unlike most media improves with time. Farcry is the best FPS i've played evar. I know visual don't make a game but they don't hurt! Theres a reason why people aren't playing the origonal Wolfenstien 3d any more...progress! People that tell me games like Farcry and NOLF and more recent games aren't as good a games like Halflife, Halo or doom have there head up their asses. Sure they where great...IN THIER DAY! This isn't the movies, there is no " Citizen Cain" of Video games! Games are so closely linked with the technology that gamesin general are going to get better!

I would like to know in witch way Halflife is better then Farcry besides the fact it came out 6 billion years before..

Apr 7, 2004, 16:13
Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 16:13
Apr 7, 2004, 16:13

Also the end levels were as hard as any end levels should be in an FPS. Most games they are too easy and you are great I beat that now what.. I yelled fuck yea at my monitor when I finally beat that lobby boss fight. I feel boss fights should take multiple tries to beat.

I agree, bosses like the cyber-pansy at the end of Quake 2 blow just as much, but there's a line between challenge and cheap. The lobby battle is cheap. It's basically 25% skill and 75% luck as to whether or not a grenade is gonna find you before you can pick off a couple guards and get out from behind the desk. This is a tactical shooter at its core, based on finding cover, stopping to aim, etc. It's not an Unreal-style rocket-n-laser-fest. The lava pit flies in the face of this mode of FPS, I manged to run through it ONE time out of 20, only to die when I had to run back through it to the elevator, before I read about the chair trick. I ain't Thresh, but I'm a pretty decent gamer, and I couldn't do it. Yes, it should take a few tries, but I shouldn't feel as if the difficulty dial was turned up 10 times.

Apr 7, 2004, 16:05
Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 16:05
Apr 7, 2004, 16:05

There is a jump later on, that you MUST make. There is no way around it. Its not particularly difficult, its just that first time I didn't see it and it killed me. It pissed me off because that's frickin' cheap. Its one thing when I know what I'm up against and have some room to manuever, but when they take your weapons away and force your to run, that's also ghetto fabulous. All in all though, FarCry is the best FPS I've played in ages...period.

Apr 7, 2004, 15:53
DDI
Re: Console FPS Control Apr 7, 2004, 15:53
DDI

Yeah, pretty much everyone who's played the game, if the official forum is any indication. I agree that the last two levels suck. I spent an HOUR carefully wasting that horde of rocket launching dudes just outside the volcano, only to die on that fucked up jump over the lava, and ofcourse the fucking save point is JUST AFTER THE FUCKING JUMP.

What jump? Theres a log you can use to walk across the lava.

Also the end levels were as hard as any end levels should be in an FPS. Most games they are too easy and you are great I beat that now what.. I yelled fuck yea at my monitor when I finally beat that lobby boss fight. I feel boss fights should take multiple tries to beat.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 15:55.

Re: redefined?
Re: redefined? Apr 7, 2004, 15:53

i agree, fps on a console sucks A**

“It's always funny until someone gets hurt... and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!” Running With Scissors
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older