Fixed SÖLDNER Demo

As noted on Planet Soldner, the multiplayer SÖLDNER: Secret Wars demo released earlier was 4F (thanks Tiscali Games). Word on how to tell the proper version from the corrupt on is: "Make sure the filename is soldnerbeta_demo.exe (Filesize: 224,141,974), this is the updated file. The old, corrupt file is called soldnerbetademo.exe." The updated version of the demo that has been confirmed as working can be found on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Computer Games Online, FilePlanet (registration required), Filerush (torrent), FileShack (registration required), Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Waste of time!!
Apr 7, 2004, 02:52
Ant

Waste of time!! Apr 7, 2004, 02:52
Apr 7, 2004, 02:52
 Ant

I couldn't get on any servers! No single player either!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo?
Apr 7, 2004, 02:14
B M
Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo? Apr 7, 2004, 02:14
Apr 7, 2004, 02:14
B M

After about an hour of messing with the game, all I have to say is:

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

Soldner!!

Uninstalled!!

The game wasted my time and was annoying.

Unlike 10 years ago, my time is actually valuable now, so unless the developers reimburse me for my lost time and pain and suffering due to the,
ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!!
ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!! ZOLDNER!!
voice, I will never touch this game again.

If the developers don't respect me, they can just fuck off.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 02:15.

workaround
Apr 7, 2004, 01:11
yia
workaround Apr 7, 2004, 01:11
yia

I finnaly got a game to work online WITHOUT relying on that pathetic wingsnet service.
(we did this by creating avirtual server of my PC with a dedicated Soldner server running)

In otherwords, i host a virtual lan server and he connects to my lan server, VIA the internet.
it worked!
to the extent that the joinee was stuck as an observer...a bug which means you cant swtich from being an observer when you join a server.
argh...if only we had the console commands to switch mannualy because the GUI is totally stuffed.

Atleast its possible to access online games not relying on wingsnet. Even if wingsnet did work, i dont see how people wouldplay being stuck as an observer...It seems only the host can actually 'play'.

workaround
yia
workaround Apr 7, 2004, 01:11
yia

I finnaly got a game to work online WITHOUT relying on that pathetic wingsnet service.
(we did this by creating avirtual server of my PC with a dedicated Soldner server running)

In otherwords, i host a virtual lan server and he connects to my lan server, VIA the internet.
it worked!
to the extent that the joinee was stuck as an observer...a bug which means you cant swtich from being an observer when you join a server.
argh...if only we had the console commands to switch mannualy because the GUI is totally stuffed.

Atleast its possible to access online games not relying on wingsnet. Even if wingsnet did work, i dont see how people wouldplay being stuck as an observer...It seems only the host can actually 'play'.

So tell me....publishers or developers?
Apr 7, 2004, 00:35
So tell me....publishers or developers? Apr 7, 2004, 00:35
Apr 7, 2004, 00:35

So who dictates how these botched things get released? Is the the publishers who pick up the phone and say "put it up bitches" or the devs who say "well...I think it's ready"...

Re: connect directly
Apr 7, 2004, 00:21
Re: connect directly Apr 7, 2004, 00:21
Apr 7, 2004, 00:21

Here's another who can't connect to establish an account. How many big release demos are just disasters these days?

connect directly
Apr 7, 2004, 00:15
yia
connect directly Apr 7, 2004, 00:15
Apr 7, 2004, 00:15
yia

ok heres the thing, i finally figured out how to set up my Virtual server, (so i can host games in a lan, and others can connect to my lan game over the net) and it worksfor all other games. However SOLDNER dosnt have a connect directly through lan button, nor a console...
I all did this assuming there would be a console or something to connect directly ...anyone found it?

Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo?
Apr 6, 2004, 23:17
Re: Beta Demo or Alpha demo? Apr 6, 2004, 23:17
Apr 6, 2004, 23:17

LOL

That's exactly my feeling! Why did they feel it necessary to put that "Zoldner" voice in...man that guy gets on my nerves. I actually almost got into a game once...but no.

-----------------------------------------
http://users.ign.com/collection/Cyberfury
Currently playing: Day of Defeat, Far Cry, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance
Currently playing: ARMA 3 mods and DayZ

Beta Demo or Alpha demo?
Apr 6, 2004, 22:33
Beta Demo or Alpha demo? Apr 6, 2004, 22:33
Apr 6, 2004, 22:33

After about an hour of messing with the game, all I have to say is:

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

ZOLDNER!!

DISCONNECTED!!

Soldner!!

Uninstalled!!

Re: I got in!!
Apr 6, 2004, 22:17
Re: I got in!! Apr 6, 2004, 22:17
Apr 6, 2004, 22:17

Finally got a server list to show up...

Got a chuckle out of the name of one the first servers to show up, it was titled "Dont bother clicking, nothing works"

Which sadly, was 100% correct.

I got in!!
Apr 6, 2004, 21:31
I got in!! Apr 6, 2004, 21:31
Apr 6, 2004, 21:31

I finally made it into a game.

first off the character models, animations and skin features is a really wonderful aspect of Soldner.

Other pluses are the sheer choice of weapons and vehicles. The structure and terrain damage system works as advertised. Weapon sounds are more "realistic" than "Hollywood" style.

On the downside the graphics are serviceable but thats about the best that can be said (understandable though given the amount of memory the destructo-terrain must use up). The first person mode is crap. It may be useful in a pinch but no one will be playing Soldner full-time with the FPS mode enabled. I hope they do a "proper" first-person view in the future (I like having both as they can both be useful at different times). The vehicle control doesn't feel right at all. theres no feedback and its either too responsive or not responsive enough. Much tweaking needs to be done here. The HUD could be a lot better.

Overall this is a rough beta that could be a great game. If they would listen I'd like to seriously suggest that Jowood give these guys more time to polish this as it could be a Battlefield killer.....really. But with 28 days to release I have a hard time seeing how Wings is going to pull it off. I hope they can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 21:13
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 21:13
Apr 6, 2004, 21:13

i just did the same exact thing space cap'n did...join your own game

a tpm of polishing is all this game needs...new reload animations too

Supporter of "The Only Good fredster Is A Dead fredster" fan club

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

Central logging in for demos
Apr 6, 2004, 20:37
Central logging in for demos Apr 6, 2004, 20:37
Apr 6, 2004, 20:37

... sure is a good idea, if you don't want anyone to be able to play your demo.

Hint: remove the requirement to log on. Let people run their own servers at least for the demo, and let users connect directly to them. All you need to do is maintain a master server.

Its easy, its simple, and more importantly - it actually works.

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 20:16
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 20:16
Apr 6, 2004, 20:16

Well I give up for now, maybe in a few days it'll be put together.

Looked like it could be fun despite the low-res textures on the enviroment and what not. :/

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 20:04
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 20:04
Apr 6, 2004, 20:04

well I couldnt connect to create my online account... so I went ahead and started a dedicated LAN server and joined myself (yes it was kinky)

and just so you know my PCs specs are: P4 1.7ghz 1gb RAM and ati9600pro

and anyways I got the game loaded up and it was running pretty damn flawlessly (30-50 fps) at 1024 with all detail maxed out... and this was while my computer was running the dedicated server - so I know it will perform extra smooth when its not running one

I was dicking around a bit and yes, it looks a tad washed out, the textures are a bit rough and un-artistic.. but then I went to an equipment bunker, bought a Panzerfaust and started blowing shit up... HOLY FUCK!! it is SO GODDAMN COOL!!! blowing the crap out of buildings and making big holes in cement towers, etc. etc.... or shoot the bottom and watch the shit fall over - its about the baddest damn thing Ive seen since Silent Storm

I bought a car and drove around a bit - which took some getting used to as the mouse both rotates your view and causes the car to turn.. but after a while I got the hang of it and was able to do tight spinouts and such

didnt have a problem with the 1st person mode or the ironsights... the latter is a bit odd artistically - but still very functional... however I noticed that even when not in ironsights mode the actual accuracy never changed - only the size of the crosshairs in the hud... even when moving and they get wide, the shots still fall dead center on the dot - of course this was all tested in a short range of a wall about 10ft away

this game is going to be sweet... if the online play is solid... so far it looks like they need alot more damn servers

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Re: No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 19:47
Re: No subject Apr 6, 2004, 19:47
Apr 6, 2004, 19:47

Ajax, same here but I dont get a time-out on every server. Sometimnes itll connect and get ready to launch but then Tony Soprano pipes-up and as says "Disconnected" with a line saying "Disconnected on 6 (unauthorized)"

hey Teut, that ring a bell?

"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 19:24
Re: No subject Apr 6, 2004, 19:24
Apr 6, 2004, 19:24

Cyberfury: aye, I launched server.bat and it worked for me, no illegal operation, opened up in a dos box of sorts (I'm using xp pro)

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 19:16
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 19:16
Apr 6, 2004, 19:16

Well this sucks.
How are people connect? I finally am getting the master list, but I timeout on every server and I get three red XXX's for the pings of every server on the list everytime. I'm on a Dedicated OC-3 here at work with plenty of pipe to spare.

I see people in the games though, maybe it's just me.
I couldn't connect to the Master Login Portal thing either for awhile.

Sigh another publisher that pushes the dev to release the game too early.

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 19:06
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 19:06
Apr 6, 2004, 19:06

servers went up for about 5 min...played a little and thought it was pretty cool, the graphics are nice, could use work on the first person view and the iron sights

The Former Leader and Victor of the rebel movement against the dark Lord Surewood and his fiendish cohorts(bunko)

No subject
Apr 6, 2004, 19:03
No subject Apr 6, 2004, 19:03
Apr 6, 2004, 19:03

i will say that when I saw in game movies I was actually PLEASED the graphics were not of Far Cry quality, because there is no way in hell you can do that with destructible geometry.. at this point with computers you have to sacrifice one for the other

you have to realize this is a different type of game than your average FPS... there is alot more to think about and deal with - its a necessary step for games in general and its about fucking time someone stepped up to the plate and gave it a shot

so whatever the outcome, Im still very respectful of the attempt

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS
110 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older