Kuma War Live

"KumaWar" Puts Players in the Frontlines of Real International Conflict announces that the current events-themed shooter is now live: "Kuma Reality Games, a leading broadband games company, has launched its first reality-based game, "Kuma\War." Created using real-world missions from breaking news events, the subscription-based online service is a tactical, squad-based game that brings top stories from the war on terror directly to the consumer's PC." The non-beta client is available on 3D Gamers, FileFront, FilePlanet, Gamer's Hell, and Worthplaying.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: No subject
Apr 2, 2004, 05:42
Re: No subject Apr 2, 2004, 05:42
Apr 2, 2004, 05:42

Yes, this is the best game I've ever tried. Screw HL2 , Kuma wars rulez!!

This was my april-fool joke. hope you didnt buy it

My Red Orchestra Tribute video!
http://bicyclerepairman.shackspace.com/ROBlackDiamond.zip

Re: Doesn't matter
Apr 1, 2004, 18:59
Re: Doesn't matter Apr 1, 2004, 18:59
Apr 1, 2004, 18:59

> the business model of monthly payments is suicide.

I think I might be inclined to agree with this. On the one hand, I do think there are people who would love to jump into the latest war story seen on the evening news. However, it's not quite as fast as that:

> "Just weeks after a military event occurs"

It's almost funny, but I don't think the general populace has the attention span or interest to be willing to wait a few weeks. In a few weeks, it's not news any more, and most of them simply won't care. IMO. Time will tell.

Re: No subject
Apr 1, 2004, 04:29
Re: No subject Apr 1, 2004, 04:29
Apr 1, 2004, 04:29

looks kinda cool
Yes, this is the best game I've ever tried. Screw HL2 , Kuma wars rulez!!
This comment was edited on Apr 1, 04:56.

Ah!
Mar 31, 2004, 22:12
Ah! Mar 31, 2004, 22:12
Mar 31, 2004, 22:12

DAMNIT! With a wallhack and this game I could've found Saddam before his bodyguard ratted him out and I could have collected mad $$$.
I suppose i'll wait for the Afghanistan map and find bin laden.

Mar 31, 2004, 21:44
Re: Doesn't matter Mar 31, 2004, 21:44
Mar 31, 2004, 21:44

It's all well and good that you guys are dicussing whether this title is worthy or not based on the politics that surround it, but ultimately it's all pointless. The game itself is horrendous. It plays horribly, looks horrible, and has more bugs than one can count. To top it off, it's just flat out not fun. I think that's a ton more important than the previously mentioned comments.

Mar 31, 2004, 19:01
Re: Doesn't matter Mar 31, 2004, 19:01
Mar 31, 2004, 19:01

I think the negative comments in this thread are interesting. You folks have given this Kuma thing more thought than I have. I think making a game out of late-breaking tradegies is simply... tacky.

Doesn't matter
Mar 31, 2004, 18:24
Doesn't matter Mar 31, 2004, 18:24
Mar 31, 2004, 18:24

The Kuma War idea is just dumb, for the reasons set out here. From all reports, the game itself is just terrible, and the business model of monthly payments is suicide. Start the clock, I give Kuma War maybe three months of operation before it goes belly-up.

Re: A bit much.
Mar 31, 2004, 17:49
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 17:49
Mar 31, 2004, 17:49

Yes just another distraction from the world's only true terrorist organization that the government doesn't want you to know about...

COBRA!!!!

Mar 31, 2004, 16:14
J/K
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 16:14
Mar 31, 2004, 16:14
J/K

"Oh yeah, a whole lot different. Hey, do you think you'll get to play as North Korea in the recreation of the 1996 incident? No? </tongue in cheek>"

yeah... most likely not. good point. but you're still at least wearing a korean skin

No subject
Mar 31, 2004, 15:46
No subject Mar 31, 2004, 15:46
Mar 31, 2004, 15:46

You know, I'm all for this. If the ignorant masses don't need brainwashing and controll then why are they so suceptable to it?

Think about it if we don't brainwash them, someone will probably to detrimental effects. At least our propaganda keeps riots from breaking out and stupid people massing together to do really stupid things. I say if you're so ignorant that you'll believe anything then you get what you deserve. I'd much rather have people think that all is right in the world and a-ok than have the opposite. I'd have to fucking kick the shit out of 20 or 30 people who are trying to stop me from guzzling McDonalds for my "own good."

In other words, if people buy it then its worth selling. If you don't like that then perhaps buying stock in Kleenax is your best option
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Mar 31, 2004, 15:42
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 15:42
Mar 31, 2004, 15:42

on a sidenote.. there is also a mission in kuma war that is about the north/south korean conflict and you don't play an US soldier, you play a korean. so.. its really a bit different to American's Army.

Oh yeah, a whole lot different. Hey, do you think you'll get to play as North Korea in the recreation of the 1996 incident? No? </tongue in cheek>

No subject
Mar 31, 2004, 15:38
No subject Mar 31, 2004, 15:38
Mar 31, 2004, 15:38

Agree with everything thats been said.

I'de wager my life savings that these guys are busy making KumaWar: Israel. See how many Palestinains you can pick off, then see how you stack up against other players around the world. Silly towel-heads, stop fighting against your liberation. The IDF loves you, loooooves you. Hey, come back here!!

*click*

No subject
Mar 31, 2004, 15:28
No subject Mar 31, 2004, 15:28
Mar 31, 2004, 15:28

looks kinda cool - they have an upcoming mission where you get to find and capture Sadam Hussein... they even have a little 3d saddam all rigged up and in play

propaganda is everywhere, so as long as you are aware of it - you can play with it

Everybody happy in their tents and caravans
Everybody happy in their ignorance and apathy
No one realizes until the television breaks down..."

- SUBHUMANS

Mar 31, 2004, 15:02
J/K
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 15:02
Mar 31, 2004, 15:02
J/K

I agree with all that was said here in general. However, I doubt Kuma War is as much a propaganda thing as Americas Army clearly is. The Kuma guys simply want to make cash and believe they have a concept that pays off.

It's more they are riding the wave of a demand for more real war games by the consumers.

This demand on one hand worries me even more than government controls, on the other hand its really so pathetic when our pseudo heroes are sitting behind their desks, safely and comfortable, and hunger for games that make them feel to be in a "real war" that in reality makes millions of people suffer to nod end, makes soldier get psychotic and traumatized, makes them virtually shit their pants because of REAL fear, makes them vomit no end after they just looked into the open guts of the guy next to them who got hit by a grenade..etc..
war is simply not a game when its real, its sad, it hurts , its chaotic, its dirty, it erases the line between "good and evil" .. its all those behind their pc's actually never ever want to experience.
on a sidenote.. there is also a mission in kuma war that is about the north/south korean conflict and you don't play an US soldier, you play a korean. so.. its really a bit different to American's Army.

This comment was edited on Mar 31, 15:03.

Mar 31, 2004, 12:28
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 12:28
Mar 31, 2004, 12:28

Well said.

I try to just accept that things are the way they are, always have been, and always be, but I can't help grinding my teeth over this sort of indoctrination. But fuck it, you're right. At the very least, these little fuckers need a lesson in geography.

Maybe I'll make a "Hijacking of Flight 93" mod for this one. Players can be either the "Islamic" "terrorists" or the Mossad agents who quite "coincidentally" just happened to be onboard.

Mar 31, 2004, 12:13
Re: A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 12:13
Mar 31, 2004, 12:13

The amusing part is that you can complain about a game like Kuma War or American's Army until you're blue in the face. You can patiently explain how they're one-sided, questionable, and propaganda tools. I mean, even the developers give you some excellent quotes -- one in particular was an America's Army developer telling you that (paraphrased) "after you play this, you'll love the Army like never before".

But the gamers simply don't care. Any why should they? What really happened probably isn't as interesting, and probably would make them start asking questions. And that's nowhere near as fun as a game where the enemy is always dressed as the bad guys, ala America's Army, or has "amazing recreations" or realistic events that are spoon fed to the developers by the military.

It's one thing to play No One Lives Forever 2 or Half-Life and suspend reality. It is quite different when "playing" current events. In a nation where most of these same gamers can't identify Afghanistan on a map, I think some truthfulness and maturity, rather than knowingly and purposely engaging in propaganda, is called for.

A bit much.
Mar 31, 2004, 12:00
A bit much. Mar 31, 2004, 12:00
Mar 31, 2004, 12:00

Kuma Reality Games, a leading broadband games company...

No shit. I must have dozed off there for the last few years.

Just weeks after a military event occurs somewhere around the world, "Kuma\War" will create a re-enactment of the conflict..."Kuma\War" will give players a "boots on the ground" experience of recent military missions, such as Uday and Qusay Hussein's Last Stand in Mosul, Iraq; Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan; and an amazing recreation of a large-scale bank robbery thwarted by American troops in Samarra, Iraq, November 2003.

Fuck. If there were ever a topic tailor-made to turn into an entirely inappropriate political thread, this is it.

Too far. Moaning about violence in video games being too close to home is no longer the exclusive territory of the ignorant. Consider the media's focus on MS Flight Simulator when they "discovered" that post-9/11 versions allowed any casual user to drive a 767 into the late WTC over and over and over to his or her terror-driven heart's content. Does this mean we can plant bombs on a Spanish passenger train? UFUKIN NOOB U FORGOT TEH VAN FUL OF DETONATRS ND KORAN VERSES!!!!!!NOW WE LOOSE WTG

If there isn't some invisible hand of Washington/London poking around behind the curtains of this project, I'd be pretty surprised. This is the inevitable successor to "embedded journalism." These "real life scenarios" will, of course, actually be "what the Pentagon says happened." I guess I saw this coming after America's Army. But shit. This blurs the line beyond recognition.

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older