Morning Preview

View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: PC Gamer this month
Mar 30, 2004, 10:28
Re: PC Gamer this month Mar 30, 2004, 10:28
Mar 30, 2004, 10:28

Ha ha. That DMX thing plays sound for you? That would suck.

They should just merge the Thief and Tenchu series if this is the sort of shit they're going to pull. Then no one could complain about the gap between new Thief games; they could just crank on out every month. That would make it a moot issue though, since people would no longer care about when or whether the next one will arrive.

At this point it looks like Thief 3 will be to Thief 1/2 what BoS and DA are to Fallout and Baldur's Gate, except that those were never alleged to be actual sequels. Thief 3 is basically an up yours to fans of the original.

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 10:29.

Mar 30, 2004, 07:14
Re: PC Gamer this month Mar 30, 2004, 07:14
Mar 30, 2004, 07:14

Jesus that DMX ad is annoying as hell. Here I am trying not to wake the neighbors when all of a sudden..

Im going to wait to write it off too. But then again, I wrote off DX2.

Blue! Save our eardrums! For the love of all that is good, yank the gd DMX ad!

Edit: Holy crap I spelled 'ad' as 'add'. Shoot me. Thanks for yanking the ad, Blue, if you see this message!

This comment was edited on Mar 30, 20:11.

Mar 30, 2004, 01:03
Re: PC Gamer this month Mar 30, 2004, 01:03
Mar 30, 2004, 01:03

Personally, I'm going to wait until the game's out (and associated reviews/non-kneejerk feedback is out) before writing the game off

PC Gamer this month
Mar 29, 2004, 23:54
PC Gamer this month Mar 29, 2004, 23:54
Mar 29, 2004, 23:54

Has a preview of Thief as well. Here's some choice snippets :

"Ion Storm Austin, the previous developer of Ex Deus : IW, has taken over developing duties from Looking Glass and - where the previous installments were critical darlings - is aiming to make the latest entry a mainstream smash."

Mainstream. How the fuck do you MAINSTREAM a genre that, by its very DEFINITION will only appeal to a rather small group of players? The D00D U SUXXOR!!!!1!11!LOLOLO!L!O!!OOLL!!OLOL crowd isn't going to play this no matter fucking WHAT you do to it. Trying to get them to do so is an effort in futility, and will only cause all the Thief fans to hate your guts as well.

"While that intended accessibility drew criticism from some quite quite many indeed (editing by Creston) fans who claimed rightfully stated (editing by Creston) that Ex Deus : IW was 'dumbed down', Spector says that a less radical makeover has been given to Thief's admittedly simpler control scheme and gameplay."

On the other hand, Warren told us, time and time again, without breaking a sweat, that Ex Deus : IW, was NOT dumbed down, and would have fewer level loads on the PC. Hence, anything he says has really become quite suspect in my book.

"I never finished Thief 2", admits Spector, largely because he became frustrated by Garret's frailty when confronted by armed guards. Deadly Shadows' focus is still on stealth - burgling houses while discovering clues and completing mission objectives - but you won't have to run like a sissy if caught red handed. Says Spector : The fun of Thief is being on the razor's edge of safety and danger."

So wimpy little Garret has been transformed into the dude from Ninja Gaiden (can I see some hands from everyone who thinks that is a good idea?), and Spector, who didn't even FINISH Thief 2 is sitting there telling everyone what the fun of Thief is. Eh?
You know Warren, for everyone who DID finish it, the fun in Thief 2 was that getting caught by a guard DID mean something. Not whipping out your rocket launcher and killing the guy.

Sigh. My last shred of hope has vanished.

Creston

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 23:57.

Re: Bye Bye Thief
Mar 29, 2004, 23:20
Re: Bye Bye Thief Mar 29, 2004, 23:20
Mar 29, 2004, 23:20

That "preview" was so full of GameSpy-brand-bullshit it's not even funny. I think I even heard the sound of an Eidos guy pulling his hand out of the puppet-like-Gamespy reviewers ass at the end.

I hope no one takes any of that shit seriously. This game sucks.

Bye Bye Thief
Mar 29, 2004, 15:45
Bye Bye Thief Mar 29, 2004, 15:45
Mar 29, 2004, 15:45

Wow... "Controls mapped very well to x-box controller"
Just like the UI in invisible war mapped well to fucking contorllers. God, this game had been consolled into oblivion. wait, I mean streamlined into the best game EVER

Liberal (TM) : THE PUNK OF THE 2000s! 99% integrity free! Now with added hypocrisy! PLUS: You choose the shitty music!
STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Re: Thief died with Looking Glass
Mar 29, 2004, 15:23
Re: Thief died with Looking Glass Mar 29, 2004, 15:23
Mar 29, 2004, 15:23

God damn, this game is gonna suck SO MUCH ASS.

Thief died with Looking Glass
Mar 29, 2004, 12:02
Thief died with Looking Glass Mar 29, 2004, 12:02
Mar 29, 2004, 12:02

As much as I admire the ex-LGSers at Ion and what they're trying to do, this game is a lost cause. Their technology just totally sucks. I finally picked up DXIW in the bargain bin and those damn loading zones and microscopic maps ruined the whole experience.

I thought game technology was supposed to get better and better. But it seems to have taken three giant steps backward in Austin.

Re: Uh Oh...
Mar 29, 2004, 11:42
Re: Uh Oh... Mar 29, 2004, 11:42
Mar 29, 2004, 11:42

I was looking forward to this one, until just now...I didn't know it was being codesigned for a toy platform. Nevermind.

Probly should'a guessed, since it's that same DX2 engine. I imagine it'll be revamped, but I can't pass on the opportunity to comment once again on how shitty DX2's interface is.

I understand the economic temptation to crank out versions of the same game for various platforms, but if something isn't specifically designed to take advantage of a single system it always seems to be diluted across the board. I'm about finished with dual console/PC releases.

Re: Uh Oh...
Mar 29, 2004, 11:25
nin
Re: Uh Oh... Mar 29, 2004, 11:25
Mar 29, 2004, 11:25
nin

Oh, we're f$%ed, rest assured...

"Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me."

http://www.kmfdm.net/

Uh Oh...
Mar 29, 2004, 11:20
Uh Oh... Mar 29, 2004, 11:20
Mar 29, 2004, 11:20

2 quotes from the Thief III preview don't bode well for the PC version:

The controls map extremely well to the Xbox controller

In Deus Ex II these same controls were used in the PC version and they sucked there. Please have a separate interface for the PC so it won't be as brain dead as Deus Ex II's was.

This necessitated another map load, similar to those in Invisible War.

These absurdly frequent zone loads were in the PC version of Deus Ex II too, despite PC's having flexible amounts of RAM.

Man I hope they put some effort into the PC version this time...

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older