Out of the Blue

Well it looks like we are getting to the "lamb" portion of the March weather equation, as the weather the past few days has finally settled into what one would expect from spring. If at any point during the summer I lapse into whining about humidity or the need to mow the lawn, feel free to smack me after all the complaining I've done about the cold wet winter.

R.I.P.: Oscar-winner Peter Ustinov dies and Surf-music star Jan Berry dies.

Stories of the Day: Action Morphs Into Art (registration required).
Playas Pay to Spread the Luv.
Science!: Lethal Weapon.
Health Concerns in Nanotechnology (registration required).
Russia hopes to earn millions with open seat to space station.
Auction of the Day: Wonderful MOVIE SPONSORSHIP Opportunity!!! Thanks Diehard.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Whoa!
Mar 30, 2004, 07:55
Re: Whoa! Mar 30, 2004, 07:55
Mar 30, 2004, 07:55

great for loony, great for rockstar, not so good for the shack.
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

No subject
Mar 29, 2004, 22:12
No subject Mar 29, 2004, 22:12
Mar 29, 2004, 22:12

Its a good thing he didn't ask me for a ring... that was pretty vague.

BTW I beat FarCry... the ending sucked

Some of those levels were crazy, its too bad I didn't figure out that to get bump maping and thermal nv you have to have lighting on high... i'm so retarded. Anyhow, i'll probably play it agian on easy, so I can have fun.

I will say that while the graphics are nifty they aren't so amazing that i'm going to upgrade my computer. Better than pong and comander keen, however.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Jan and Peter...
Mar 29, 2004, 17:17
Jan and Peter... Mar 29, 2004, 17:17
Mar 29, 2004, 17:17

Ustinov, great actor.

Jan and Dean, great surf/racing tunes.

I was sitting in my car when late one night when an XKE pulled up on the right...

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 17:17.
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Sopranos
Mar 29, 2004, 17:12
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 17:12
Mar 29, 2004, 17:12

I guess I overstated my point. I'm thinking of his demeaner with the other guys and his ability to talk to anyone (with the exception of Tony) and speak his mind honestly. I think back:

I really like his character and I wish they would focus an episode on him. I guess the back office nature of his role would limit that.

Maybe his 'business manager' role is what appeals to me as that is my role at work.

What about the infamous Columbus day parade episode?

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 17:12.

Mar 29, 2004, 17:02
nin
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 17:02
Mar 29, 2004, 17:02
nin

Hey, nin, can ya give me a ring please? I got somethin' to ask ya...Thanks...

That's a bit cryptic! I'll send ya one when I get home (in about an hour)...

Majors kudos to Loony! Hope it works out for him!

http://www.kmfdm.net/

Re: Playas
Mar 29, 2004, 16:46
Re: Playas Mar 29, 2004, 16:46
Mar 29, 2004, 16:46

If by 'hilarious' you mean 'tragically retarded', then yes!

yep - that's what i meant. it (the idea behind that site) is so mind numbingly shallow that i almost felt sad after reading it... but decided it was better to just laugh! it's like a bunch of grown-ups playing make-believe... "look girl, i just bizzought you an airplane!!"

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action"
-from the Tron 2.0 box
- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

Whoa!
Mar 29, 2004, 16:36
Bronco

Whoa! Mar 29, 2004, 16:36
Mar 29, 2004, 16:36
 Bronco

Good for loony!

http://www.shacknews.com//docs/press/032904_jason.x

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.com

head down, go to sleep
to the rhythm of the war drums - http://www.aperfectcircle.com
-TPFKAS2S

Mar 29, 2004, 16:31
Rigs

Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 16:31
Mar 29, 2004, 16:31
 Rigs

Hey, nin, can ya give me a ring please? I got somethin' to ask ya...Thanks...

=-Rigs-=
clubrigs@hotmail.com

'Sorry, we thought you were dead.'
'I was. I'm better now.'

Mar 29, 2004, 16:30
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 16:30
Mar 29, 2004, 16:30

As for the weather, it was nice to fire up the grill and have a nice cook out for the first time in months.

I'm thinking pork chops on next warm day.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Mar 29, 2004, 16:22
Bronco

Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 16:22
Mar 29, 2004, 16:22
 Bronco

Seems to me, in season 2 or 3 maybe, there was a card game where I think he lost it? (He got pissed about something, can't remember what...) Maybe not...

I guess I overstated my point. I'm thinking of his demeaner with the other guys and his ability to talk to anyone (with the exception of Tony) and speak his mind honestly. I think back:

to his conversation with Paulie at the end of last season where he questioned his loyalty. While he raised his voice, overall he remained calm despite Paulie's raging at him

I really like his character and I wish they would focus an episode on him. I guess the back office nature of his role would limit that.

Maybe his 'business manager' role is what appeals to me as that is my role at work.

-TPFKAS2S

head down, go to sleep
-TPFKAS2S

Mar 29, 2004, 15:51
nin
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 15:51
Mar 29, 2004, 15:51
nin

This isn't a spoiler for the current season, so...

IMO Silvio is far and away Tony's MVP. I can't remember an episode where he loses it in any way whatsoever.

Seems to me, in season 2 or 3 maybe, there was a card game where I think he lost it? (He got pissed about something, can't remember what...) Maybe not...

http://www.kmfdm.net/

Mar 29, 2004, 15:33
Bronco

Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 15:33
Mar 29, 2004, 15:33
 Bronco

Sopranos:

Blue said : Only a little surprised at the quick resolution to the Feech thing, but boy was that clever how they got him... until they revealed it was a set-up I didn't have a hint that that's what had happened (nice to see Christopher handling something so adeptly for a change).

Well, as soon as they started to play the good cop / bad cop on him I knew it was a set up. Maybe because I know a couple of ex-cons in real life I understand the fear and reality of parole. I was sad to see Feech go. Someone else mentioned Silvio and how well he handled the situation. IMO Silvio is far and away Tony's MVP. I can't remember an episode where he loses it in any way whatsoever.

For the rest of the episode:

This certainly seemed to be a set up for next week. I liked the moment when one of the guys made a racially biased statement and the camera swung to LT who just shook his head. The AJ / guidance counselor issue seems redundant at this point almost like a hardcore episode of 'Different Strokes'

Deadwoood:

Eh. The pigeon storyline could get good. Montanna's irrational behavior with respect to Swearengen is kind of stupid. In every other situation he can act calm and cool except for this one guy? Like I said, eh.

As for the weather, it was nice to fire up the grill and have a nice cook out for the first time in months.

-TPFKAS2S

head down, go to sleep
-TPFKAS2S

Mar 29, 2004, 15:31
Re: Playas Mar 29, 2004, 15:31
Mar 29, 2004, 15:31

"It's totally playa/pimp," says Selman, whose speech makes him sound like someone who's never been anywhere near a ghetto.

Wtf, some people really are stupid...

Mar 29, 2004, 15:27
indiv

Re: Playas Mar 29, 2004, 15:27
Mar 29, 2004, 15:27
 indiv

Actually, they're probably currently bitching about no government funded healthcare right now.

And while we're making baseless assertions just to evoke reaction, I'd say that these are probably also the people who turn into vampires and eat puppies! Bastards!

Mar 29, 2004, 15:18
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 15:18
Mar 29, 2004, 15:18

How long has Deadwood been showing?
Two weeks. The 2nd episode was last night. HBO.

28:06:42:12
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

Mar 29, 2004, 15:17
Re: Playas Mar 29, 2004, 15:17
Mar 29, 2004, 15:17

What really makes me a sad Panda is that I didn't think of it first
You and me both.

I browsed the site for a little while as much as I could stomach it, and it is predominantly Asian members, I'd say as much as 90%. It looks 'Japanese' right from the front page, with the Hello Kitty-esque icons etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if it has its roots in an Asian country.

Not being Asian myself, though, I guess I couldn't have come up with the idea. Also, I'm old enough to be out of touch with the language etc. on the site enough to think that it's stupid.

28:06:42:12
This comment was edited on Mar 29, 15:20.
A message of hope to those who choose to hear it,
and a warning to those who do not.

Mar 29, 2004, 15:04
Re: Sopranos Mar 29, 2004, 15:04
Mar 29, 2004, 15:04

How long has Deadwood been showing?

Please do not kick the Thermal Detonator.

“How about a nap, a bath and sex with a unfamiliar woman?”
—Cy Tolliver to Andy Cramed

No subject
Mar 29, 2004, 14:55
No subject Mar 29, 2004, 14:55
Mar 29, 2004, 14:55

I bet FunHi (oh so witty, its fun hi, as well as a pun on funny! those kidders!) has people working for it that send out presents, obviously free of charge. Enticing these gift giving wars and raking in dollars while doing it. I love watching rich people who have no self meaning wallow about in excess. It always reminds me pigs... and pigs are funny!

One of these day's i'm going to get pissed off and go take me a chunk of some idiot's fortune.
"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Lethal weapon-- or not
Mar 29, 2004, 14:54
Lethal weapon-- or not Mar 29, 2004, 14:54
Mar 29, 2004, 14:54

I believe Mr. Gillespie needs to spend more time verifying facts, and less time trying to put a PR spin on his product:

A standard US mortar platoon has 27 people carrying 120 rounds of 81mm mortar, but this system needed only 13 people to carry 1,920 rounds, said Mr Gillespie.

Um... no. Unless the makeup of a platoon has changed drastically since I was in a USMC 81mm mortar platoon back in the '80's, it's actually 46 people in the platoon, not 27. The round-count carried when footmobile is approximately correct at 120, but that's with 8 guns teams of five men carrying 3 rounds each, and assuming the FDC and leadership cadre don't carry any rounds, (which they usually will). The article's count would put 120 rounds on the backs of 27 people-- at 13 pounds per round. That's in addition to 60 pounds of gear, a rifle or machinegun, ammo for same, and their piece of the mortar system, which will be anywhere from 20 to 45 pounds. There's a reason even the USMC--the only first-world military force to still manport 81mm mortars as standard practice--limits each man to carrying three rounds. Your standard load is nearly 100 pounds before you even start adding in mortar ammunition.

But, that's just me nitpicking. The real question is what does the Metalstorm gun, (basically a modern, computerized version of the old French mitrailleuse concept), have to do with a fucking mortar?! They have about as much in common as dogs and structural K-joists.

The latest iteration of the MetalStorm concept is an overgrown 40mm grenade launcher. A 40mm grenade is basically a suppression weapon, producing very little actual shrapnel; point-detonated (i.e.- no airburst); a tiny casualty radius of less than 5m (compared to a 35m CR with an 81mm mortar); small, ballistically unstable rounds with a much shorter range and a much larger targeted circle of error. It is incapable, by definition, of many of the more common tasks of mortars, such as wide-area persistent illumination, tactical screening, and coordinated air defense suppression. The device itself is bulky and awkward, and set-up time, judging by pictures, would be upwards of 15 minutes in a manport application. Compare that to the average time of less than two minutes required for a good gun crew to put an 81 into action.

True, while the MetalStorm system might be effective at short-range suppression and saturation of enemy channels of advance, it is a one-trick pony. And being effectively tied to a vehicle, is eliminates one of the biggest advantages of mortars over conventional, vehicle-restricted artillery-- instant conversion to man-portability. Just rip it off the HMMWV or track, stuff some rounds in your pack, and go. Sorry, Mr. Gillespie, but you're gonna have to do a lot better than what I've seen so far to convince me--and, more importantly, infantry battalion commanders--to give up the traditional "hip-pocket artillery."

/end rant

(Sorry; got the jarhead in me all stirred up and sweaty.)

This comment was edited on Mar 29, 14:55.

Mar 29, 2004, 14:52
Re: Playas Mar 29, 2004, 14:52
Mar 29, 2004, 14:52

What really makes me a sad Panda is that I didn't think of it first....

all it takes is one stupid little idea like this and *BOOM* no more rolling out of bed at 4:30 a.m. to go to work....

*sigh*

"Perhaps the answer to the perennial problem of delinquent teenagers dropping bricks from motorway and railway bridges is to sue the creators of Tetris."- Unknown Author
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older